Shaw Media Employee Reviews in United States

See reviews about:
Id' think twice about working here
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJanuary 7, 2016
This company does not appreciate its employees AT ALL. Sadly, their employees are pons in their game of numbers. They only care about how much money they can make and don't care at whose expense. I worked there 3 1/2 years and was never given a review or raise. Soon after hired I was told there hadn't been a raise for anyone in over 7 years and the last one given was not even a dent in the cost of living increase.

My direct manager was incredible until it was time to "downsize" me. The company was facing a -$400,000 shortfall in its budget and started hacking away at staff, closing whole office sites and reducing benefits.

To avoid cutting jobs during the big recession, the employees agreed to work 37.5 hours a week in lieu of laying people off. The 40 hour work week was never restored once things looked like they would be improving and no overtime was ever "allowed".

Very little room to grow in the company unless you're already in upper management which some people still have their jobs while seemingly being ineffective at their jobs. This is just my opinion. I don't have many facts to back that up. I know my manager's boss had NO clue how we did our job, yet was in charge of us and making decisions for our dept. Everything was based on "numbers" not how the job was actually done. He is an example of what I mean by not being effective in his job, but still seems to get promoted every other month to something else bigger.

Definitely enjoyed my coworkers, the job I did and the environment in which I worked. About the ONLY pros of the job.
Fast paced and very tight knit company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake, ILJune 4, 2015
This company is like a family, everyone is very tight knit, and close to one another.

Each department works hard and is very dedicated.
Great place to start
Freelance Sports Writer (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake IlMarch 26, 2015
It was a good place to try and figure out if working in print journalism is for you. I'm glad they gave me an opportunity to work in the industry.
IMPORTANT! Most of these ratings are for Shaw Media in Toranto Canada. Shaw Media IN USA much WORSE!
prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Crystal Lake IlMay 20, 2014
Note-Shaw Media - especially the NW HERALD office in Cryatsl Lake is a "churn and burn" for sales positions. Many have quit