Shaw University

Shaw University Employer Reviews

I would help the professor grade papers and type up review sheets.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2014
A typical day as an administrative assistant would be me helping the professor grade papers and type up review sheets.
n/a
Student Helpdesk Support Technician (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 5, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Good, fun place to work for. Student helpdesk. co workers were fun and good to learn from
Head Intern
Office of Student Activities Intern (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 23, 2014
Assist with freshmen orientation programs, Homecoming and Spring Fest activities
Create marketing materials to promote student involvement in athletic events
Supervise staff in accordance with department policies and procedures
Responsible for hiring and training student employees
See previous post
Assistant to the Project Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 17, 2014
Check out previous review Review given on a previous posting of my day to day operations.

I enjoyed this position very much and regreted when it came to an end for me on May 30, 2011.
fun work environment
Lead Intern (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 5, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long work days
a typical day at work would consist of a lot of fun and energetic college students. i learned how to adapt and change according to the situations that i am faced with. Even when those situations are found to be very negative. The management at Shaw was very knowledgeable and helpful.
Productive workplace
Daycare/Library Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 14, 2014
Pros: great people, very comfortable
Cons: salary
A typical day would be to sign in, choose a room, of infants or toddlers, overseer what and when children were doing things, field trips, take notes, and at ending of day, clean and organize daycare.
I have learned different communication skills, and how to properly organize, clean, sanitize, and oversee things.
The management was a great team, whom – more... guided and taught me the importance of my job.
The co-workers were also a big help to the development of my daycare knowledge.
The hardest part was keep a strict eye on the children every move with there being many children.
The best part was greeting the babies/toddlers and getting them started with their day. – less
terrible experience, but situation may be improving with new president
assistant professor (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 26, 2014
Pros: *located in a revivifying and interesting part of downtown raleigh, and helping underprivileged students is extremely rewarding
Cons: everything else
*Secretive and abusive senior management
*No tenure track for professors
*Absolutely no research infrastructure
*Required to teach 5 courses/semester with course buy-out almost impossible even in you have a multi-million-dollar grant
*Grant money goes missing
*Abominably slow and labor-intensive processes for ordering pencils let alone lab supplies
*Awful – more... salaries
*Secretive processes by which senior officials suddenly terminate you, literally with same-day's notice (this didn't happen to me but it did to several colleagues -- and they weren't fired either, just suddenly let go)
*Low morale with frantic, highly stressed professors
*BUT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO MAKE AN ENORMOUS DIFFERENCE IN UNDERSERVED, YOUNG STUDENTS' LIVES – less
Great Experience
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 10, 2014
It was a great experience working and a being a student at Shaw University. Work and study was non-stop. The professors always found a way to make learning interesting.
great work environment, its like working with 6 brothers
Assistant Football Coach (Defensive line) (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 24, 2014
On a typical work day i get in at about 9a.m make some recruiting calls, staff meeting at 12p.m lunch from 1p.m to 2p.m, 3 p.m we have weights then dinner then a quick team meeting, followed by a staff meeting. i learned what it takes to be a great leader from my boss and co workers as well we all have a great working and personal relationships. the – more... hardest part of my job is dealing with 60 players day in and day out because it gets a little frustrating trying to meet all their needs but its also tied into the best part of this job because once you have helped that player i feel like i have accomplished something great. – less
I learned something new everyday
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCDecember 4, 2013
I learned that office work can be demanding. Staying alert and aware of job duties is a must. I'm a people person and a team player so getting along with others come easy. What I enjoyed most about the job is knowing that my daily efforts made a difference.
Great working experience
Lab assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCNovember 22, 2013
The work day is very skilled and detailed. No room for errors! Being very precise and accurate on data and trying not to loose focus on the main objective.
Financial Aid Counselor
Financial Aid Counselor - Loan Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCNovember 14, 2013
Pros: love working with students and attending workshops
Loved my boss, opportunity to learn more and flexibility, everyone in this department was like family, very great department to work in
Enjoyed integrating public health topics into student curriculum and faculty development
Community Health Research Advocate (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCNovember 3, 2013
Pros: opportunity to work with wonderful student body
Cons: grant funding had some limitations
The opportunity to work some enthusiastic University faculty, administration and student body on a daily basis to connect public health with various majors and campus activities was a very challenging yet rewarding experience. I particularly enjoyed planning the Student Research Symposium and being involved in classroom instruction.
Shaw University
Student (Former Employee), Raleigh NCSeptember 26, 2013
It is a good school learn how to manage things and work. My coworkers were very nice and fun to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the students because there were so many different characters you'll have.
Overal financial analysis for student
Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: keep my brain worm
Cons: challenging
Day to day federal titl IV funds processing for the entire institution and related problem resolutions as arises from the departments.
best work place ever
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: everything
great staff
work among peers
learn good work ethics
flexible hours
responisble supervisor
Inspiring Place to Work
Student Accounts Counselor (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 10, 2013
Pros: working with students
Cons: poorly trained supervision.
Inspiring to work with students and assistng with resolving their tuition payments.
A family oriented atmosphere
Financial Aid/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2013
Working in this department as work-study student is something I would not trade for the world. To have so many people around you who are supportive of helping you reach your potential as well as making sure you know how to do your job effectively as the environment is catered toward providing a great experience for incoming students as well as prospective – more... students. The hardest part of the job is with the ever changing laws and regulations concerning grants, and loans you have to make sure you are up to date and be able to explain the reasons behind it .This is not always a smooth endeavor explaining to students or parents why the see a decrease in financial help with paying for college. A typical day at work includes answer phones and providing information to questions asked by students , faculty or parents. Most of the day is spent transferring calls , making copies of paper work, directing in flowing traffic to designated financial aid counselors. – less
shaw university
Library Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 11, 2013
Pros: students, library, one on one help
Cons: nothing
Iam currently a senior at shaw unv and i love it. I also worked at shaw university for one year as a library assistant. I love helping the teachers and students. Students arew very freindly. I have alot of close relationships with staff and students.
Fun productive learning envivronment
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 10, 2013
Pros: work is related to my field of study
Cons: being exposed to certain harmful chemicals
A typical day at the work starts with setting up the lab along with the equipment and chemicals to start the lab. Individuals learn about how to properly mix reagents to water, acid or base through a process call titration. The lab sometimes get over crowded with other individuals who needs to test their reagents and sharing equipment's. The hardest – more... part about the job is sometimes you run out of time to test the (subjects) due to having to share lab materials with other co-workerse – less