Shaw University

Shaw University Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Volunteer Archives Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Gain of experience
I was a volunteer Archieve Assistant. I did research in the archieve. I helped the Director with different projects as well. I learned how to do research. I also helped with different event that was sponsored by the Shaw Univeristy Archieves and Special Collections Center.
busy but productive; higher education
Financial Aid Counselor and Managerial (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMarch 10, 2015
Pros: hbcu
Cons: cost of education
providing students and parents with various financial options for college, providing award letters based on financial needs and eligibility. assist with FAFSA completion, etc......
Being a Resident Advisor at Shaw University
Resident Advisor (Former Employee), raleigh, NCJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: free room & board
Cons: not compensated for desk hours
you can choose your hours as being a RA, You must be able to commit. they will train you in the beginning and show you all the ropes. I've learned how to handle various situations and how to manage under pressure.
Enjoyable job
Administrative Intern (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCDecember 2, 2014
Great employee's, Fun environment. laid back management was very helpful.
My job was very exciting and rewarding
Human Resource Director (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCOctober 31, 2014
Pros: hired selected job applicants
Cons: displacing workers
My tenure at Shaw University was very productive, rewarding and exciting. I enjoyed meeting the faculty and administrators alike.
excellent work environment
Student Accounts Rep/Bursars Office-Stdnt Accts (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCOctober 26, 2014
It varied from day to day. management did an exceptional job at managing. I got to know a lot of the students. My co workers were a great bunch to work with. I was sorry to leave.
Student Training gaining knowledge
Assistant Student Trainer (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCSeptember 13, 2014
greeting patients recording their injury history for the Head ATs and PTs, treating patients applying heat packs, setting up modalities, instructing patients through exercises and educating them how to care for injury while at home, cleaning up treatment tables, exercise equipment, folding laundry, and stocking materials
I would help the professor grade papers and type up review sheets.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2014
A typical day as an administrative assistant would be me helping the professor grade papers and type up review sheets.
n/a
Student Helpdesk Support Technician (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCAugust 5, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Good, fun place to work for. Student helpdesk. co workers were fun and good to learn from
Head Intern
Office of Student Activities Intern (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJuly 23, 2014
Assist with freshmen orientation programs, Homecoming and Spring Fest activities
Create marketing materials to promote student involvement in athletic events
Supervise staff in accordance with department policies and procedures
Responsible for hiring and training student employees
See previous post
Assistant to the Project Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 17, 2014
Check out previous review Review given on a previous posting of my day to day operations.

I enjoyed this position very much and regreted when it came to an end for me on May 30, 2011.
fun work environment
Lead Intern (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCJune 5, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long work days
a typical day at work would consist of a lot of fun and energetic college students. i learned how to adapt and change according to the situations that i am faced with. Even when those situations are found to be very negative. The management at Shaw was very knowledgeable and helpful.
Productive workplace
Daycare/Library Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCMay 14, 2014
Pros: great people, very comfortable
Cons: salary
A typical day would be to sign in, choose a room, of infants or toddlers, overseer what and when children were doing things, field trips, take notes, and at ending of day, clean and organize daycare.
I have learned different communication skills, and how to properly organize, clean, sanitize, and oversee things.
The management was a great team, whom guided and taught me the importance of my job.
The co-workers were also a big help to the development of my daycare knowledge.
The hardest part was keep a strict eye on the children every move with there being many children.
The best part was greeting the babies/toddlers and getting them started with their day.
terrible experience, but situation may be improving with new president
assistant professor (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCApril 26, 2014
Pros: *located in a revivifying and interesting part of downtown raleigh, and helping underprivileged students is extremely rewarding
Cons: everything else
*Secretive and abusive senior management
*No tenure track for professors
*Absolutely no research infrastructure
*Required to teach 5 courses/semester with course buy-out almost impossible even in you have a multi-million-dollar grant
*Grant money goes missing
*Abominably slow and labor-intensive processes for ordering pencils let alone lab supplies
*Awful salaries
*Secretive processes by which senior officials suddenly terminate you, literally with same-day's notice (this didn't happen to me but it did to several colleagues -- and they weren't fired either, just suddenly let go)
*Low morale with frantic, highly stressed professors
*BUT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO MAKE AN ENORMOUS DIFFERENCE IN UNDERSERVED, YOUNG STUDENTS' LIVES
Great Experience
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCFebruary 10, 2014
It was a great experience working and a being a student at Shaw University. Work and study was non-stop. The professors always found a way to make learning interesting.
great work environment, its like working with 6 brothers
Assistant Football Coach (Defensive line) (Current Employee), Raleigh, NCJanuary 24, 2014
On a typical work day i get in at about 9a.m make some recruiting calls, staff meeting at 12p.m lunch from 1p.m to 2p.m, 3 p.m we have weights then dinner then a quick team meeting, followed by a staff meeting. i learned what it takes to be a great leader from my boss and co workers as well we all have a great working and personal relationships. the hardest part of my job is dealing with 60 players day in and day out because it gets a little frustrating trying to meet all their needs but its also tied into the best part of this job because once you have helped that player i feel like i have accomplished something great.
I learned something new everyday
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Wilmington, NCDecember 4, 2013
I learned that office work can be demanding. Staying alert and aware of job duties is a must. I'm a people person and a team player so getting along with others come easy. What I enjoyed most about the job is knowing that my daily efforts made a difference.
Great working experience
Lab assistant (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCNovember 22, 2013
The work day is very skilled and detailed. No room for errors! Being very precise and accurate on data and trying not to loose focus on the main objective.
Financial Aid Counselor
Financial Aid Counselor - Loan Manager (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCNovember 14, 2013
Pros: love working with students and attending workshops
Loved my boss, opportunity to learn more and flexibility, everyone in this department was like family, very great department to work in
Enjoyed integrating public health topics into student curriculum and faculty development
Community Health Research Advocate (Former Employee), Raleigh, NCNovember 3, 2013
Pros: opportunity to work with wonderful student body
Cons: grant funding had some limitations
The opportunity to work some enthusiastic University faculty, administration and student body on a daily basis to connect public health with various majors and campus activities was a very challenging yet rewarding experience. I particularly enjoyed planning the Student Research Symposium and being involved in classroom instruction.