Shaw University Employee Reviews

I have enjoyed working in varous position and department. A good learning experience.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 9, 2016
All of my jobs have been very rewarding and loved working with the public. You work with people of all nationalities and cultures, you are a team-player and wiliness to work until the job is complete, regardless of the time you have to put in. I did not have a problem with working over and beyond to get a job complete.
Pros
Meeting people of all nationalities and cultures.
Cons
Low salaries.
Productive work environment
Executive Assistant of Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJuly 25, 2016
Created files for school’s funding and expenses. Answered phone calls and directed calls to different school faculty members. Presented ideas to make Shaw more of an admirable campus. Develop and maintain relationships with student body and factuality and staff members.
Work Study
Work Study (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 2, 2016
My work schedule consist of being at the desk in the morning and afternoon and sometimes nights.
• ¬Be knowledgeable about campus and community resources and function as a source of information, making referrals as necessary.
• Assist with daily operational procedures: check-ins, lock-outs, identifying and reporting maintenance and safety concerns, etc.
• Work at the residence hall desk as assigned by the Hall Director.
Pros
Being around people.
Cons
Early Mornings
Eventful, Busy,
Residential Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 19, 2016
A typical day of work consists of clocking in. greeting the passer-by traffic of residents and parents signing residents in and out of the dormitory. Keeping track of the time, and selling food products to customers, it is important to keep a accurate up-to-date copy of all residents living in the building in order to verify if someone is indeed a resident or a trespasser.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
No breaks, Frequent Unexpected Scheduled changes
A Great Environment for Independent Work and some team development
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 29, 2016
It is a great work environment that allows for independent work their is a good level of communication and decent experience in honing interpersonal skill development, not much room for advancement but you are made to feel as an integral part of the organization.
Need Improvements
Student Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 22, 2016
Very low compensation for work, at will employees, Job culture very poor, there isn't any job work/life balance & management doesn't care at all about employees needs in terms of the job. I believe the new CEO is geared more towards making the job more corporate and there will be a lot employees that will no longer fit. That may be a good thing for the University. I enjoyed my actual job however often times management is who makes the job a struggle. There wasn't any support, we had to purchase our own supplies and were treated very hostile. I pray that others will be able to move on and the job will get the right fit in the positions in order to keep the organization strong. I have bad memories & can almost not even drive pass Shaw University but I still wish everyone well.
Pros
Moving on
Cons
There aren't any breaks and on a time clock
Great experience
Student Residence Counselor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 6, 2016
I was a volunteer helping the director with the doorms. I was able to resolve conflict between residents and also motivate them to be better students. Loved working here.
full of oppurtunities and a great atmosphere to work in
SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 14, 2015
I love what I do but pay does not compensate for all we do and the variety of jobs we do. We provide a variety of services to students, staff and falcuty and also the public. I enjoy the interaction with the students and being able to guide in the right direction.
Pros
flexibility of hours
Cons
holiday have yo be worked
Exciting and fun workplace
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 22, 2015
My day would ensue of guarding my post at the university and also overseeing the many high tech security monitors. I would also be required to walk around campus and make sure the appropriate doors were secured and locked. I greeted visitors and issued out badges as needed.
Pros
Meeting new people on a daily basis
Cons
Short breaks, no room to grow
Work
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 28, 2015
I learned time management and productivity at Shaw. I met a lot of interesting and working with Shaw advanced my management skills.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Healthcare and caring about the employee
Early start, busy, fullfiling day
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 24, 2015
My job presently offers an opportunity on a daily basis to use analytical and problem solving skills. I presently open the business every morning and review the day to make sure things are in place prior to employees and participants in the program arrive. Problems could arrive from transportation, security, financial issues, coverage for classrooms, delivery persons, and to not to exclude the most important customer service. All of these can be covered first thing when I arrive.
Pros
Educational Environment
Cons
Instability of job security based on university enrollment
it was great
Line Server/ Floor Monitor/ Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 23, 2015
Everyday starts with the same routine, preparing cafeteria to be utilized by students....(pulling chairs from tops of tables on Tues. and Thurs. from buffers the night before. preparing food for students breakfast, lunch and dinner. Keeping cafeteria tables, floors, chairs and food bars clean/sanitary for each serving session....)
A lot of potential wasted
Employee (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 21, 2015
Leadership has an EXTREME disconnect with employees. Rampant nepotism, narcissism and mismanagement of resources.

A typical day includes a review of ever changing policy and procedure expressed verbally and arbitrarily. Work flow is changed by people who have never set foot within a department and positions are filled and employees are terminated without warning.

The hardest part of this position is seeing the tremendous legacy of this austere university be trampled by those who are more concerned about their social media presence then affecting real change at the employee level.

The most enjoyable part of the job will always be helping the students who deserve so much more then what they are receiving.
Pros
Its an HBCU
Cons
Its an HBCU run by people who don't care about its legacy until the cameras turn on.
family oriented
Line Server/ Cook (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 27, 2015
I love the atmosphere. Its a pretty good, very fast paced during meals. Very nice company to work for. Other than that I kept to myself .My whole focus is doing the job right.
Pros
good food, nice peple
Cons
bad scheduling
Its a new beginning at Shaw U.
Grant Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 14, 2015
A typical day at work is review for outstanding requisitions, old and new grant documents. Set up meetings for follow ups of open grants. My co-workers are the high light of my day. The hardest part of the job is dealing with last minute request or issues. I enjoy when a task is asked to be performed and I have completed request.
Family-oriented work environment
Administrative support (Current Employee) –  Raleigh NCAugust 7, 2015
Teamwork is what makes working at Shaw University worthwhile. My colleagues are humble, respectful, candid, compassionate, empathetic, supportive, and rational beings who are committed to the success of the students and families we serve.
Pros
tuition remission
Cons
Productive and a fun place at times to work.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 11, 2015
I begin my day by balancing out previous days work to prepare my deposit for the bank. Our doors open at nine to the public.

After the door open we are ready for another day of taking payments

I like my job and enjoy working with the staff and students, but not getting the pay for all duties that is required.

As a department we don't do things together that would make it more enjoyable.

The hardest part of my job is when the students come up short of money to pay their bills and they can't see their grades.

Most enjoyable part of my job is at the end of the year when you have the graduates come in to pay their graduation fees and the excitement on their faces. Making it, the job worth while.
Cons
Healthcare
Great place to obtain experience
Secretary in Biology Department (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 9, 2015
Great place to obtain experience.There is some mobility for a person to move up in the ranks of the dept. it would just take years. Normal day in the office is usually hectic.
Pros
Meet interesting people, network
Cons
short breaks
Work place
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 20, 2015
A day at Shaw being a resident adviser was a easy job. I learned how to interact with students. As well as learning about different ethnicity and personalities. I learned to advocate for the student body and become a better role model, leader, and disciplinarian. I had to manage a hallway of about 30 females.
Pros
Free room and free training
Cons
administration help.
Nice place to work
Volunteer Archives Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 26, 2015
I was a volunteer Archieve Assistant. I did research in the archieve. I helped the Director with different projects as well. I learned how to do research. I also helped with different event that was sponsored by the Shaw Univeristy Archieves and Special Collections Center.
Pros
Gain of experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaw University. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8