Shawnee Mission Medical Center Employee Reviews

SMMC is a great place to work
RN Quality Nurse Data Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSDecember 29, 2016
SMMC is a quality place to work. It strives to provide excellent customer service. The benefits are excellent. There is opportunity for advancement.
Not a Christian enviroment when it comes to treatment of employees
Practice Manager Shawnee Mission Physicians Group (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSDecember 28, 2016
Good patient care provided in clinics and hospital. However, if you are not Adventist it's very difficult to climb the ladder very far and this is noted and stated by many employees.
Fabulous hospital with caring people
GI Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 28, 2016
SMMC is a top notch facility. I enjoy being a part of such a compassionate place. Great staff that cares about the best interest of the patients. I would recommend this hospital to anyone!
Ok place to work.
Information Associate (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSDecember 13, 2016
Nice people but salaries could be better. No advancement opportunities. Schedule was cut so ergo the decrease in salary. It is very hard to get ahead. Management can be difficult and clickish.
Pros
nice people
Cons
hours cut and pay decreased
Awesome
Transitional Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Merriam, KSDecember 8, 2016
Great place to work. Everyone is truly wonderful. I never feel like anyone is being fake, they all truly care about their patients AND the employees.
Excellent place to work
Executive Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Merriam, KSNovember 17, 2016
Responsible for day to day operations of Human Resources, education, employee health, workman's compensation as well as administering the benefits plans.
Lab
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, KSNovember 12, 2016
I love working here. People to friendly to each other. The department in the lab is gracious and encouraging. The co-workers usually make my day. I always enjoy going to work.
Pros
Very regular breaks, encourage wellness and life balance.
Cons
Training wasn't always the most efficient. But you learn the ropes.
Helped kick start my carreer
Patient Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSOctober 31, 2016
Depending on the department you are working in job tasks can vary. I worked at Shawnee Mission Medical Center two different times. The first time was right out of college and helped me jump start my career into medical insurance where I worked for several years. The next time I went to work there was after having my children so it was great part time job. Management definitely weighed on the fact if you were an Adventist.
Life in the OR ...
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSAugust 2, 2016
The hospital itself was wonderful and very accommodating to staff, the only downfall was specifically the staff in the OR. Management was great, staff was not very accepting of new bodies.
Productive Family Practice office
nurse (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSMarch 25, 2016
I would room all my MD's pt's, triage all vitals and record in EMR. I also would triage all phone calls, schedule appt's, rf meds, obtain referrals as well assist my MD with all lab draws, injections and office procedures.
productive place
OBGYN Counselor/Central Registration (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKMarch 13, 2016
It was a good place to work. Typical days consisted of checking in patients, taking payments and posting them to the patients account.
I liked it at first
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSJanuary 19, 2016
I was happy to work for SMMC because I agreed with their mission statement. I became dissatisfied when they seemed to be more interested in growing bigger and becoming "the Beacon to the community" than taking care of patients.
Pros
really good healthcare insurance
Cons
extremely stressful
The first years there were great , but as time went on things changed.
Medical Office/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 30, 2015
Shawnee Mission was a great place to work,I truly enjoyed most all my 24 years there. Great caring employees, good managers, and they truly cared about the patients. But as time goes on things change and new management comes in, making new changes, cutting back to save money, less focus on what matters, which is patient care, and the dedication of long term employees.
Pros
Truly enjoyed my job, and all the friends, coworkers, and Doctors that made each day a terrific place to work .
Cons
Change is enviable, you can always be replaced by someone younger, and who will work for less pay.
Er
LPN/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, KSNovember 4, 2015
Great place to work, great place to give care and get care!

good morals, great meals, good team work, skilled physicians!
Pros
moral hospital
Cons
busy
Accredited and Professional place to work
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Merriam, KSOctober 29, 2015
12+ hour days in a fast paced, 40 bed Emergency Department, but great coworkers who have your back. Seems to be short staffed more often than not. Lots of opportunities for continuing education
Pros
Great work crew, opportunities for overtime
Cons
Uniform requirements -white scrub top/navy pants, typical 30 minute lunch break for 12 hour shift, cafeteria food :/s
Fun place to work
Retired RN worked with newborns and children (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KS>August 30, 2015
Enjoyable working with new families--especially enjoyed dads. Provided primary care to moms and infants. Co-workers were great and always helpful. Hardest part of job was all the computer and paper work.
Pros
working with families
Cons
short breaks
Great Organization
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSAugust 23, 2015
Shawnee Mission Medical Center is a great organization. I enjoyed engaging with patients, co-workers, physicians, and families. It was a very fast paced position with a great deal to learn. I've learned a great deal. There was a lack of leadership in the department I worked in. The employees were not supported in their roles.
Work review
Family Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Merriam, KSAugust 18, 2015
I work with newborns and perform newborn assessment, review labs results, perform circumcisions. Help the parents locate a PCP and set up the follow up appointment for the infant after discharge from the hospital
Excellent Co-Workers, horrible local management
Clinical Associate/Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSJuly 23, 2015
Best part of the job: Working with people who genuinely need help. Excellent helpful co-workers.

Worst part of the job: Local management was clueless as to workflow, especially on night shift. Unachievable goals were set.
all about the patients very skilled place
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shawnee, KSJune 24, 2015
I love working for Shawnee mission and they work with you on any situation that might occur at work,home and ect.. If any mistakes are made they talk to the whole group and make sure we can better serve our patients for the out patient part. I love seeing
Cons
10 hr days, need more appraseal

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shawnee Mission Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Shawnee Mission Medical Center Reviews by Location