Shawnee Mission Medical Center

Shawnee Mission Medical Center United States Employee Reviews

Management doesn't care about staff-just the bottom line.
RN (Current Employee), Critical care clusterMarch 4, 2015
Pros: clean, good employees, good benefits
Cons: administration are bullies.
It isn't a family atmosphere any more for employees. What ever happened to keeping employees happy then they will take good care of the patients? Like recognizing people for their successes? It's more about trying to find things wrong
Always Educational
Senior Account Specialist (Current Employee), Shawnee Mission, KSMarch 3, 2015
Pros: flexibility of work schedule, paid time off
Cons: short breaks, lack of support in certain areas
My current position relies on the census of the facility. I work off of a live census, which helps to ensure that insurance companies are notified in a timely manner. I have learned that patience and determination are critical when dealing with individuals over the phone. My supervisors are supportive and have provided me with the guidance needed for me to be successful. My coworkers also provide support and knowledge, and the work environment they support is one that is warm and welcoming. The most difficult part of my job is the daily influx of patients, and being able to multi-task is key to completing the daily tasks. The most enjoyable part of my job is that it challenges me; no two days are the same. Also, my coworkers make the work day even more enjoyable.
C.N.A
Clinical Associate - Float Pool (Current Employee), Shawnee Mission, KSJanuary 12, 2015
Provide a safe and caring environment to promote the healing of patients
Assist nurses in promoting patient health, comfort, and safety
during the patient’s stay
Monitor and record patients’ vital signs
Assist patients with activities of daily living
Responsible for documentation
Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Merriam, KSJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: friendly people, good training.
Cons: management at times played favorites, poor health insurance.
Good coworkers. Learned a lot. Busy and poorly staffed at times. Lots of gossip that affected work at times. Management tried to solve problems and listened to issues when brought up to them.
micromanagement
Registered Nurse on the Heart/Neuro/Vascular Units (Former Employee), Shawnee Mission, KSDecember 4, 2014
too much Bureaucracy and micromanagement. Don't expect to be rewarded for you hard work...only when a patient c/o something
Excellent working enviroment
Information Associate (Former Employee), Labor and DeliveryNovember 13, 2014
Pros: great management, competitive pay, treated with respect
Cons: no cons
One of the best companies to work for in the Kansas City Area. Would love to work there again.
Fast-paced labor and delivery environment that provides a very diverse and educational experience with excellent teamwork among providers and staff.
Labor and Delivery RN, PRN (Current Employee), Merriam, KSNovember 10, 2014
I feel very appreciated as a team member at Shawnee Mission Medical Center.
a mostly great experience
Behavioral Health Associate (Former Employee), Shawnee Mission, KSNovember 1, 2014
Pros: great working environment, most of the staff were great.
Cons: if you're injured there (as an employee) you'll be treated like trash until you're forced to quit.
I worked on the Psych unit, but actually loved it most of the time. There were "administrative changes" that made the job unbearable, but prior to that, it was great and wouldn't have given it many negative reviews. Some of the nurses were extremely rude and not just towards staff, but that happens at any job.

Management; nice at first, but you get the quick impression it's just best to stay out of their site.

Coworkers; mostly great, there were far more coworkers that were great than those that were not, but that happens anywhere.

Stress was the hardest part, but that's not the reason I quit. DO NOT get injured on the job there or you will be treated like complete trash by nearly everyone in human resources. Literally the last day as I was scheduled to return to work, I was given a modest settlement offer and required to resign because I was "too high of a risk" for re--injury. The way I was treated throughout the recovery process, I'd never treat my worst enemy like...and they NEVER paid my agreed upon Short-Term Disability.

I enjoyed the atmosphere most of the time, I never worked with "aggressive" patients. They were quickly transferred, which is a huge perk of the job. No one wants to restrain people. That happened once in over the two years I worked there and it was a completely unpredictable situation. I liked what I learned from that job, the pay was reasonable, and most of the staff were cool.
I moved to Kansas and began a new job after leaving a hospital that had been home to me for almost 40 years. SMMC was welcoming.
Administrative Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee), Shawnee, KSSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: coffee shop on-site.
Cons: the schedule was different every month, no set schedule. i was unable to plan anything.
As a nursing supervisor on nights there was never a typical day. I had to be prepared for emergencies at all times and also be responsive to all the staff in the hospital.
In my nursing career I have always wanted to keep my clinical skills current. I was called for all difficult IV starts and kept IV skills strong.
The most difficult part of the job was learning the names of everyone in the hospital. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know all the staff.
a fun work place where employees go out of their way to welcome and help new grads.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Shawnee Mission, KSJuly 3, 2014
Shawnee mission is hospital that does not discriminate as far as job advancement goes, a place where patient care is the priority. and all employees are encouraged to treat all patient with patience, dignity, integrity, honest and always respect patient's spiritual background.
Outpatient Pharmacy technician
CERTIFIED PHARMACY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Merriam, ksJune 28, 2014
Overall, the organization is a good place to work along with the benefits it provides. The people are friendly and the culture is diverse. It is a good place to work overall.
Excellent group of health care providers
Emergency Department RN (Current Employee), Merriam, KSJune 20, 2014
Very dedicated team of healthcare providers; enjoyable environment to work in
Exciting place to jumpstart a clerical or health career
Volunteer/Receptionist (Current Employee), Shawnee Mission, KSMay 7, 2014
I simply volunteered as a receptionist and I greet guests that come in. I also help nurses and any other staff member that may have their hands tied up. It was a very fast paced job but fun all at the same time.
Job
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Shawnee Mission, KSApril 17, 2014
Great place to work. Amazing co-workers that will help out in a time of need. I learn something new everyday from my amazing patients and staff.
Great Staff and Fun workplace
PRN (Former Employee), Merriam, KSApril 13, 2014
flexible management. i enjoyed working there. Co-workers were fun and very helpful.
Local Hospital
Phlebotomy Student (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSMarch 26, 2014
Not much to say here. Did my clinical rotation here over the course of one month. Decent staff and quality services. Can't speak to job issues.
Changing for the better
Certified Surg tech - 26/Nov (Current Employee), shawnee Mission, KSMarch 24, 2014
Pros: flexible easy to talk to supervisors
Cons: lots of low census or mandatory go home days.
I loved working there, I got to SMMC at a time when major changes started happening... all for the best. exited to see what the future will bring.
Great people to work with and for
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee), Shawnee, KSMarch 24, 2014
Pros: basically happy environment
Cons: busy enough most days to miss out on meals
Shawnee Mission Medical Center was a great place to work. The supervisors worked right along side the rest of us. My co-workers and I had the perfect balance of professionalism and fun everyday.
The hospital was always being improved with the newest technology. Before I left they had just finished a NICU where every newborn had their own room with space for parents to stay.
A good place to work, everyone doing their job with a happy and dedicated attitude.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee), Shawnee Mission KSNovember 1, 2013
Pros: having the chance to be a part of the health care field, helping people
Cons: 24/7 hours
Getting meds to the patient on time. management was great and would work along with everyone if needed.
Co-workers were happy and wanted to get the work done in a timely manner.
The hardest part of the job was the hours changing to meet the needs of the pharmacy,
The most enjoyable part of the job was the feeling that you was a part of helping patients.
Nice place to work
Senior Bio-Med Technician (Former Employee), Merriam, KSAugust 9, 2013
Pros: security and a boss who will stick his neck out
Cons: upper managemnt
With everyone watching the budget, too much watching the overtime.
Management and coworkers are good. Good place to work overall.