Shawnee State University Employee Reviews in United States

student
Student (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHApril 3, 2016
I am a student here it is okay wish there were more opportunities there but there are not they focus on medical legal and arts, but the art department has the best professors and the math and social sciences too
Pros
good professors
Cons
no opportunities
Satisfying work environment, uplifting, good customer support, challenging.
Shawnee State University Center Attendant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 30, 2015
As a University Center Attendant down at SSU, my experiences have been very rewarding and sometimes challenging. Work consists of opening and closing the building, ensuring building maintenance, meeting the needs of students and other guests, answering phone calls, setting up rooms for meetings/events, monitoring events, monitoring the game room, making student/faculty IDs, fixing technological issues in the building, and sorting student mail. Depending on the day, miscellaneous tasks may be on my list of duties. This can make days at work somewhat unpredictable, but more interesting. I most enjoy working with students/guests and satisfying their needs. I love to help people, and that is certainly what I do best! The worst part of being a UC Attendant is the problems we face with the technology (at the most inconvenient moments of course). I have to quickly find a solution to such problems, oftentimes right on the spot. This increases the amount of pressure and stress, especially when an issue arises during a significant event held at the university.

My time as a University Center Attendant has improved my skills and personal growth immensely! Communication and relations with customers have become strong aspects through experience. I have become a people-person over the years, and I am much happier now that I enjoy being around people. Whether a pleasing or difficult situation, I have learned how to confront customers and provide the best service possible. I also have gained the ability to work under pressure with a level-head. I find solutions to problems and think outside
  more... the box. Things do not always go as planned, so it is of great importance to possess a creative mind and imagine the possibilities. Furthermore, my technological skills have increased through my job experience. I am more able to fix problems with equipment as seen fit. An important adaptation for this job is multitasking, which is a skill I now possess. Although multitasking can be rather challenging, I have learned to take on various responsibilities with confidence and ambition. I am honored to work in an environment that has pushed me beyond my limits and increased my ability to work harder and more efficiently.  less
Pros
Increase relationships, increase communication, problem-solving skills, multitasking skills, creative thinking.
Cons
Short breaks, occasional chaos.
Excellent
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 17, 2015
I loved this school and found them to be very helpful to their students, staff and faculty.They are always willing to go the extra mile to help their students further their education.
Wonderful school
Lab Assistant (summers) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 6, 2015
Small but very wonderful school. Catered to my needs and very affordable. I work in the micro lab and the library. Very understanding and they know we are students.
fun place to work, good experience
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 1, 2015
I love life guarding here at the pool at Shawnee. It is a cool laid back environment. Unfortunately I can't stay here because I will be moving to Charleston, WV in December. I have a great boss and co-workers and I wish I could just take it all with me when I move!
Pros
My job is easy and fun
Cons
It can sometimes get boring
The company overall is a great company, but lots of implements could be done.
Utilities (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHSeptember 11, 2015
The best part of the job was learning some building, and leaning to fix all kinds of equipments, and to provide a good customer service for all the students, faculty and visitors.
Pros
Fun people, great student work job
Cons
miss communication between the team.
It's a good job for this poverty stricken area
Faculty (Adjunct) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 30, 2015
A typical day started in the morning and ended in late afternoon. I learned a lot about people. There was management and co-workers present. The hardest part of the job was hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was nice. Thank you for allowing me to share my review!
Adunct Professor MOT program
Adjunct Professor - MOT Program (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHApril 22, 2015
A wonderful opportunity to impact up and coming occupational therapists. Seeing the students get excited about the field was tremendously rewarding.
It was a fun experience working with students and helping them learn 3D mathematics.
Student Instructor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMarch 23, 2015
A typical day was sitting in class with the students learning the days lesson and also the lab they would have to do. Later having a study session with them in the computer lab talking about how to actually implement what they had been shown in class earlier. I also was helping them learn how to code as well as most of those who would come to my study sessions weren't too sure how to turn their ideas into working code. So I helped them understand matrices, vectors, forces, and physics implementations as well as helping them understand how to code.
Pros
had the opportunity to work with great students who showed a passion for their work.
Cons
none.
Perfect college job
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 2, 2014
My typical day was basic clerical work. I worked around my class schedule. Perfect job for a college student.
Good Experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth OhioSeptember 30, 2014
I enjoyed working for Shawnee State University. I love the people that I worked with and the staff was great. I would definitely work for them again if I had the chance to.
Fun place to work
Assistant Disability Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 19, 2014
Answering phone, replying to emails, and helping disabled students with test preparation. I learned how to interact with a variety of people. My co-workers were hardworking, wonderful people. The hardest part of the job was interacting with disabled students that could not communicate very well. The most enjoyable part was being able to make some small difference.
Pros
friendly co- workers
Cons
having to leave after finishing degree
Fun place to work
Call Center Caller (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJune 16, 2014
The worst part about my specific job with Shawnee State University is that it was temporary. I enjoyed working with the rest of the call center. The supervisors were amazingly nice. It felt good to be helping to give back to the school.
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Clark Memorial LibraryFebruary 10, 2014
Great Place to work. Friendly people. Relaxing work environment.
cool
Front Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  portsmouth, ohNovember 11, 2013
Very good place to work while attending Shawnee. Management is good. Other workers are nice. Job is fairly easy.
Great Place to work
Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 15, 2013
I Love this job my manger was Little hard on me. I loved the people i worked with it was a great work environment, you got the respect you gave.
Taught university students Sign Language
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 18, 2013
For 20+ years taught American Sign Language for three quarters each year.
Pros
great
Shawnee State Review
College Student (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJune 11, 2013
Very nice school and Great learning programs. There wasn't very much to do outside of School. High class cost but worth the cost.
Pros
nice people, diversity, tutoring programs
Cons
high school cost, small town
A person must develope consistency in a routine
Student (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 25, 2013
It is demanding for a person that is not as focussed as they will need to be in obtaining an education
The Professors are for the most part willing to help a person to achieve an education so that they can succeed
Very Flexible
Teaching and Learning Center - Helper (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJune 18, 2012
I had worked as an assistant at the teaching and learning center which helped professors and students get together and figure out the best way in which to teach and learn. It was very fun and rewarding as one learns many of the aspects of office work and gain experience. It was very enjoyable and yet it could be hard work at times when projects needed to be done by a certain time frame.

Shawnee State University Reviews by Location