Shawnee State University Employee Reviews

It was a productive and fun workplace.
Game Management Technician (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 30, 2017
A typical day at work consisted of dealing with computers and helping people with them. I learned valuable information about computers. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with people.
Loved it
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 29, 2017
Loved the students and staff, everyone was always cheerful and helpful. Loved the campus, the environment, the professors, and the opportunities to get involved. One of the greatest times of my life.
Good plaec to earn college money
Graphics Editor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 28, 2017
Good and flexible work schedule and great people. Free environment and flow of work. Content is well mannered and co workers are friendly and considerate.
Cons
Time balance
Great job
Reference Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 22, 2017
Worked as a reference assistant while a student and manager was easy going and worked with my schedule and were very lenient. Supervisor was very caring around employees
great learning experience
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 12, 2017
The TRiO program was a great place to work. The people there wanted to learn and were an inspiration to help. Typical day started in the morning and I worked when I could in between classes and after.
Just a student
Student (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 7, 2017
I do not actually work here, I was just a student and was doing clinicals through Shawnee. I did 8 hour clinical shifts two days a week, along with multiple hours in the classroom doing other school work the other three days of the week.
Fun working the basketball games
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHApril 5, 2017
Overall it was okay. Was able to watch basketball games and work at the same time. There is more things that go on to run athletic events definitely learned that.
Pros
Free food
Great foot in the door
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHFebruary 24, 2017
I truly feel that my time as a Resident Advisor was the best time in college that I had ever had. I got to meet different types of people from completely different walks of life than me. The job itself is very straight forward. So long as you are honest and try your hardest, the housing department do their best to work with you. It is stressful. But I feel it helped me deal with the everyday stresses I face in the workforce.
Pros
Free room and board
Great school
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 20, 2017
Smaller state school, but smart professors, close supervisor-student attention and work rapport. Once the school builds and becomes larger it be a powerhouse
Pros
Willing to give opportunities
Cons
Could be a better school if academic reputation was more known
Excellent
Media Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHSeptember 13, 2016
This school is a good environment and it is small enough to make a good amount of friends in a short amount of time. The course work is informative and has an approachable staff that helps students succeed.
Very good education
Executive Secretary to the President (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 30, 2016
A typical day was busy.
The president of the university is retired but was an exceptional boss.
My co-workers was easy to work with.
The hardest part of my job was on Board meeting day.
I enjoyed posting on the SSU web page.
Pros
Free tuition to employees children
Hands On Learning
Adjunct Faculty- Zumba Instructor (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 23, 2016
Typical day of work consists of teaching my Zumba students a full hour of dancing. The work is quite high energy and therefore strenuous. Employers were fairly laissez faire so I was capable of expanding my choreography however I wanted.
Only worked as an intern, but enjoyed my experience
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 3, 2016
I worked as an Intern in the Information Technology Lab as a student, and generally enjoyed what I did, and the people I worked with.
student
Student (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHApril 3, 2016
I am a student here it is okay wish there were more opportunities there but there are not they focus on medical legal and arts, but the art department has the best professors and the math and social sciences too
Pros
good professors
Cons
no opportunities
Satisfying work environment, uplifting, good customer support, challenging.
Shawnee State University Center Attendant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 30, 2015
As a University Center Attendant down at SSU, my experiences have been very rewarding and sometimes challenging. Work consists of opening and closing the building, ensuring building maintenance, meeting the needs of students and other guests, answering phone calls, setting up rooms for meetings/events, monitoring events, monitoring the game room, making student/faculty IDs, fixing technological issues in the building, and sorting student mail. Depending on the day, miscellaneous tasks may be on my list of duties. This can make days at work somewhat unpredictable, but more interesting. I most enjoy working with students/guests and satisfying their needs. I love to help people, and that is certainly what I do best! The worst part of being a UC Attendant is the problems we face with the technology (at the most inconvenient moments of course). I have to quickly find a solution to such problems, oftentimes right on the spot. This increases the amount of pressure and stress, especially when an issue arises during a significant event held at the university.

My time as a University Center Attendant has improved my skills and personal growth immensely! Communication and relations with customers have become strong aspects through experience. I have become a people-person over the years, and I am much happier now that I enjoy being around people. Whether a pleasing or difficult situation, I have learned how to confront customers and provide the best service possible. I also have gained the ability to work under pressure with a level-head. I find solutions to problems and think outside
  more... the box. Things do not always go as planned, so it is of great importance to possess a creative mind and imagine the possibilities. Furthermore, my technological skills have increased through my job experience. I am more able to fix problems with equipment as seen fit. An important adaptation for this job is multitasking, which is a skill I now possess. Although multitasking can be rather challenging, I have learned to take on various responsibilities with confidence and ambition. I am honored to work in an environment that has pushed me beyond my limits and increased my ability to work harder and more efficiently.  less
Pros
Increase relationships, increase communication, problem-solving skills, multitasking skills, creative thinking.
Cons
Short breaks, occasional chaos.
Excellent
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 17, 2015
I loved this school and found them to be very helpful to their students, staff and faculty.They are always willing to go the extra mile to help their students further their education.
Wonderful school
Lab Assistant (summers) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 6, 2015
Small but very wonderful school. Catered to my needs and very affordable. I work in the micro lab and the library. Very understanding and they know we are students.
fun place to work, good experience
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 1, 2015
I love life guarding here at the pool at Shawnee. It is a cool laid back environment. Unfortunately I can't stay here because I will be moving to Charleston, WV in December. I have a great boss and co-workers and I wish I could just take it all with me when I move!
Pros
My job is easy and fun
Cons
It can sometimes get boring
The company overall is a great company, but lots of implements could be done.
Utilities (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHSeptember 11, 2015
The best part of the job was learning some building, and leaning to fix all kinds of equipments, and to provide a good customer service for all the students, faculty and visitors.
Pros
Fun people, great student work job
Cons
miss communication between the team.
It's a good job for this poverty stricken area
Faculty (Adjunct) (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 30, 2015
A typical day started in the morning and ended in late afternoon. I learned a lot about people. There was management and co-workers present. The hardest part of the job was hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was nice. Thank you for allowing me to share my review!