Shaws Employee Reviews

It was great at first, but...
Multi-purpose Associate (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHApril 4, 2016
I have worked for Shaw's for close to 14 years. The first few years were great - great pay, great benefits (medical, dental, 401[k], life), great co-workers, and the management was top-notch.

However, over the past few months, upper management has shown a lack of priority. My department in particular has seen a significant increase in workload, and that has not left sufficient time for our daily tasks (namely required cleaning) to get done. Making matters worse is the requirement we leave 'on time' to 'save on labor,' even though most jobs are left for the next shift or are not done at all.

Also, heaven forbid you have to stay later to complete your tasks. I've found myself staying at least 30 minutes, sometimes even an hour, after my scheduled shift to ensure the department is ready for the next business day. But instead of saying 'thank you for staying later,' I get criticized for staying later and branded inefficient.
Pros
Good benefits for part-timers, flexible scheduling
Cons
Lack of priority, not enough hours to complete necessary tasks
Unorganized management
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VTMarch 14, 2016
The store I worked at was run poorly. I didn't feel as though I was gaining any positive work experience by being there. Working there was hard due to short hours everyday. I would've rather worked 10 to 12 hours for four or five days a week, versus working 4 to 5 hour shifts every day of the week. My managers did not like it when I wanted to sit down and make a better schedule.

The management there was young and not well organized. The management that used to be was two mid-twenties women who were best friends. They were always on their phones, hung out in each other's offices too much, and one even relocated after fooling around in her office with a visiting CEO.
Pros
it was a job
Nice supermarket, but not a good career
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gloucester, MAOctober 2, 2015
Nice place to work for a local supermarket gig. Easy enough work, and they'll keep track of you to make sure you're doing the best you can do. Normal crew are usually very nice, to each other and to customers.

Management and supervisors are fairly cutthroat and do not like advancing people internally unless they are friends. You really have to watch what you say around them or they use that info against you to prevent you from getting anywhere in the company. Some management IS better than others, but overall you are swimming with sharks.

Constantly penny pinching and having hours be cut, usually when slower seasons start(Jan-Apr.). Benefits are offered provided you work a certain number of hours per year, management will track you down to make sure that you don't reach this in order to cut costs if you are a part time employee.

Great if you know someone who will go to bat with you, not that great if you don't.
Pros
Consistant but small raises, nice co-workers, easy to pick up
Cons
No advancement, hard to get benefits, constant hour cuts
Challenging new work experience
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Orleans, MAFebruary 2, 2016
Shaws has started down the comeback trail. Shaws has emerged as great competitor in a tough market.I wholly agree with everything that they are trying to accomplish. I have also seen alot associates fall by the wayside as they were not ready to change their ways.
Pros
good benefits, and pay
Cons
aggressive upper management who want what they want.
A company struggling for relevance
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Biddeford, MEJanuary 31, 2016
This company does not listen to its employees. Management asks for recommendations to garner more customers, and the suggestions are never implemented. Benefits are terrible. This job is basically around to serve as a high schooler's first job.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Management, product prices, everything
Good first job, but not as a permanent career
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newport, NHJuly 6, 2016
Typically I'd have to go and punch in at the exact minute of when my shift would start but there weren't many options for advancement. Perhaps it was due to being in high school at the time, but rules and expectations on coworkers were pretty strict. What I liked about the management was that they'd listen if you made a mistake and discussed what happened so they could fix it (such as accidentally allowing a nonWIC item like white potatoes go through when they could only have red potatoes), but they wouldn't allow coworkers to talk when customers weren't around and expected silence. Hardest part of the job was having to stand still even when customers weren't around but the most enjoyable was getting to hear what the customers were making for dinner!
Pros
Manager who listened, customer interactions
Cons
Minimum wage, very strict policies, no room for advancement
Not a great place to work overall because of poor management and lack of communication.
Floral Clerk (Current Employee) –  Nowhere, OKAugust 13, 2016
I was very self-directed at Shaws because the floral department is technically managed by the produce manager, who doesn't pay much attention to floral. I would maintain the plants and create arrangements for customers.

There is very little communication and nobody really looks out for each other. People leave messes everywhere just expecting the next person to clean it up, and people often backstab and blame issues on others.

The hardest part of the job is not having anyone to talk to the whole time. The most enjoyable part is working with flowers.
Pros
I got to work with flowers.
Cons
It is purgatory.
An interesting workplace with lots fantastic employees
Carry Out (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEJuly 30, 2016
Shaws is located on Main Street here in Bangor and as a result, there is a rather difficult demographic of customers who shop there. Especially when you consider the store's close proximity to the Homeless Shelter, a methadone clinic, and a mental health facility. These are not bad in themselves, except for the fact that there is a relatively high amount of shoplifting, panhandling and an uncomfortable number of customers who show up clearly intoxicated or under the influence of some drug.

For obvious reasons, the aforementioned issues can make for a challenging work environment, especially if the goal is to make the customer satisfied. Luckily, the management is incredibly fair and understanding towards the difficulties that certain customers provide. The support from coworkers and administration in such issues helps balance the negative with the positive.
Pros
Great coworkers, fair managment, employee discount
Cons
challenging customer base, short breaks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTMarch 17, 2016
I was a part time cashier, I love working their. I learned more about working with customers and dealing with money. Management they were great. I like everyone I worked for awesome co workers. Hardest part of my job was when I was pregnant they wouldn't let me have water at my station. Then after a few weeks I past out then they let me have water LOL. Loved working with customers most were pretty awesome.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
night shift supervisor said I couldn't have water at my station was pregnant.
Fun work place
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Copley Square, MASeptember 28, 2016
A typical day at Shaws for me consisted of a variety of things depending on what I was scheduled to do for the day. I learned most of my customer service traits from this company as they seek to provide the best service to their customers. Management there was outstanding, all managers for the different departments gave equal opportunity to all employees. I spent 6 plus years there and made so many friends. Co-workers were always easy going and fun to be around. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with different customers from tourist to locals.
Pros
Always room for growth
Cons
short breaks
Fast pace, but fun work enviroment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAAugust 8, 2016
Working at Shaws is great for a part- time job. I work through out the week and a lot on the weekends, so I know most of the regular customers and it is fun developing relationships with them. I have learned how to deal with unpleasant customers in a proper way, and making sure they do not affect my mood towards the pleasant customers. I quickly learned how to do my job very well as a bagger and as a cashier. The hardest part of the job, personally, is being able to tell a customer right away where an item is. While doing returns, I can find my way around the store and properly place items back. However, if a customer asks me at random where an item is, I have some trouble placing point blank in my mind exactly what number aisle it is in, so I make sure to ask someone who knows for sure. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to have conversations with my coworkers and the customers joining in because it makes it feel like a real community to me, and that is very important to me because that is how my grandfather raised me.
Could be a lot better
Cashier, CSR, and Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 25, 2016
Shaw's the company itself is okay to work for. other associates are mostly friendly. Most management can be friendly at times. This higher management is what makes this place not that great. The higher management I feel like doesn't know what they're doing half the time, and they're real mean about it.
Pros
Busy work, friendly associates, friendly customers
Cons
Higher management, some customers, a lot of cuts in hours, low staff
Good starter job when you are in school
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  West Lebanon, NHOctober 9, 2015
Clock in and go to your department and see what is on the floor and tally what you will need to bring out.
I learned about the different products that come and go threw out the store and how to remember were things go,
Management was really kind and willing to help you out at any moment when you needed it.
My co-workers were willing to help anyone that was new or needed help finding something in the store or were to place a item.
The hardest part of my job was remembering were things went and getting your work done quickly and professionally
The most enjoyable part of my job was how helpful i could be and an impact i did in someones life.
Pros
good job to have when your in highschool
Shaws
Deli associate (Current Employee) –  Stratham, NHMarch 6, 2016
Go into work, wait on customers, work by myself sometimes. Open some mornings & work some nights closing. I learned how to open the deli by setting up the salads and make the grab and gos. Management is good but they transfer out when a store needs them. My co workers are great, we get along well and that makes the day better. When its busy and its only one person closing is the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job is when i get my breaks.
Pros
customers
Cons
not enough help
Fun place to work!
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stowe, VTJune 26, 2016
Shaw's was my first job and I was really blessed to have had this as my first job. I loved working in the Deli because management was great and coworkers were great workers and fun to be around. Management in all departments were great and the store manager was excellent as well.
Pros
Special discounts on store-brand items, able to eat indoors or outdoors (depending on the season/weather), great food to purchase for lunch (receive discounts on most deli items)
Cons
breaks aren't always guaranteed, undependable coworkers in certain departments
Learned new skills
Customer Service Representitive/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Williston, VTJune 12, 2016
I would clock in between 8:00 AM and 12:00 PM, working between 6-9 hours. I would stand at my register all day with only my 2 15 minute breaks. Water was not allowed at the register without a Doctors note. Even for an 8 Hour shift only two 15 minute breaks were provided and no lunch. "Having Time" to take care of one's self at Shaw's is nearly impossible as you were always "Too busy". I was frequently stuck at my register with Low Blood sugar without help due to the unwillingness by managers to help me fix the problem. Employee discount was only 10% for groceries. For the amount of effort the employees were forced into it didn't seem quite enough. Having been employed as a Part-time employee I expected to work 35 hours. Unfortunately, we were short staffed for a long time and was forced to work 40-42 hours 6 days a week which was extremely tiring with the already unfortunate circumstances. Other than a few employees I enjoyed working with I'd say the Experience was definitely a negative one and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.
Pros
Food in store
Cons
management, policies, uniform, low wadges
A once great market that crashed.
Checkout/Multi-Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJuly 2, 2016
I was an employee here for over 3 years.
I was a part of a 2 person team but I did most of the work.
It was my duty to act as a float, although I started as checkout. A usual day was to respond to the constant pages.

The people were great, it was hard to get a promotion, and raises were kind of odd. It was 15 cents per year for a raise, but it changed on the stub, and the only benefit you could achieve as an employee is 10% off only Shaw's brand items.

All the employees had to take on too much heat for the tricks that were everything but customer service to gain profit from customers.
The greatest thing is mostly the people who worked there for they all understand it as one community but the management often are trying to analyze the store increase of profit and the employees are marked with the heat of the dislike from the customers. Great community, not an ideal place for work.
Had to jump on a dumpster and carts must be done in any weather.
No friendly negotiation for raise upon being of good value to the store.
Pros
Great People on the lowest non-management level
Cons
Management does to many non-customer tactics for profit.
Suitable workplace for me
Cashier Assistant/ Retail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pawtucket, RIJuly 26, 2016
A typical day would start off by breaking down the loads that had came in that very day, or it would be done already. I learned the necessary skills that help me be at my very best. These skills include customer service, working under pressure, and being a team player. My two bosses and co-workers were very helpful and respectful. Making sure that I complete all tasks for that day. The most enjoyable part of the job is to help customers, as well as going on break.
nice work environment
up front manager (Former Employee) –  Melrose, MAAugust 3, 2016
shaws supermarkets was a nice place to work for, most employees where really nice and fun to work around. the management is strict but are on top of everything so the store never gets too chaotic, ive learned how to count drawers, do cash sweeps, the lottery, money orders, western union, load self checkouts with money, howto open/close the store ect.
Pros
food always in the break room/great customer service experince
Cons
sometimes would get breaks skipped, bad schedule making
Deli job with decent people to work for and with
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough, NHDecember 23, 2015
Helped customers with cutting their fresh meats and cheese. Learned people/customer service skills under a fast paced multi-tasking environment. Management was pretty hard on new employees. Co workers were mostly young adults other than management. Hardest part of the job was end of the night shut down and clean up. What I enjoyed most about the job was the customers and the service I provided to them. They were always appreciative and kind because the task was not always simple..
Pros
enjoyable co workers, great customers
Cons
Managment was sub par at best, pay was also sub par, hours were either not available at times or very short almost not worth the gas money