Shearer's Foods

Shearer's Foods Employer Reviews

It was okay
Packaging Department (Current Employee), Massillon, OhioMarch 9, 2015
My experience there wasn't the best, but I can't say anything bad about it because the work there was hard, but the money was good. I had to get out of there personally because the management treated me like I was an alien from another planet. They recently decided to do a block scheduling, taking away eight hour shift and converted it to 12 hour shifts. I had to change my life around COMPLETELY, because us, the people, didn't have a voice in anything so we had to decide what to do. I was enrolled in college, and I had to drop out of school so I had a job to pay my bills. People there were complaining about the 12 hour shift because it is so much strain and exhaustion on their body, but they were stuck on keeping the 12 hour shifts. Though you worked 3 days on week and have 4 days off, and vice versa the next week, but you were not promised your days off.
There are many other things, but I rather not discuss on here, so if you have any questions, I would gladly answer them in person.
very friendly and people you work with are amazing
Warehouse (Current Employee), brewster, ohioFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: pay, benefits, people, and programs they have
Cons: short breaks, and sometimes commuication between supervisiors, workers, and quality people
when I start my day I come in, get boxes ready for my shift, pull skids all day and load trails. I've learned that you have to be quick on your feet and you have no time for errors. my co workers are fantastic I wouldn't trade them for anyone! my hardest part of the job is you never stopped moving, or if the shift before you doesn't completely prepare you then you struggle on a bad day, but if don't stop moving, work fast, you'll be able to get caught up and have an easier day. the enjoyable part of my job is coming to work knowing I am not alone if I need help with my job. I know no matter what kind of day it is every department helps each other out as much as they can. when I have time to spare I help other departments when there struggling. I love leaving work knowing I left it with all my duties done and the next shift is prepared for there day.
All should be free
Processor (Former Employee), ohioNovember 18, 2014
Cons: they exist
if you like slavery work here you never know when you're working. It was the worst experience of my life. They make millions and don't even have a training program. I really don't have anything good to say about the company.
Potatoes before People
Warehouse (Current Employee), Navarre, OHNovember 2, 2014
Pros: clocking out
Cons: everything
To many chiefs not enough Indians, too much management that has no idea what they are doing, they best thing they can do for the company is leave. The company likes to make petty rules so their so called managers can have a power trip and feel superior. The pay and benefits are mediocre at best, all while getting looked down upon and treated like dirt. There are no set schedules, hope you like you coworkers, you be seeing each other 6-7 days a week 8-12 hours a day. That being said the hardest part of the job is dealing with their "managers" and the best part would be clocking out for the day.
Clean and easy going work enviornment
packer on popper project (Former Employee), Navarre, OHSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: three breaks, clean, fast paced
A typical day consist of working towards the delivery goal for that day. Shearer's is a potatoe chip factory so, i had the opportunity to learn about how they function. The management there is reasonable and very dedicated to their duties. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers, we had great team coordination, order and got things done usually ahead of schedule. Our "team" made the days go by fast and helped to make going to work for me, very enjoyable.
Decent pay if you don't mind being a slave to a bag of chips
Maintenance (Former Employee), Bristol virginiaApril 22, 2014
Pros: maintenance gets every other weekend off if your not short handed or someone has vacation
Cons: everything!!!!
The management only cares about who's buy lunch today. They are so picky about dress codes and facial hair they allow some temps to have it and company employees can't. Department managers don't try to help employees. And they treat you like you own them your soul to work there.
Benefits are good
Worker (Former Employee), OhioApril 3, 2014
Pros: above average starting wages.
Cons: no structure or consistency.
Schedule always changes. Can never be sure what your days off will be from one week to the next.
Have no idea who to go to with complaints. The supervisors don't care.
If you like to be frustrated all the time than this is the place for you.
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK
FLUNKIE (Former Employee), Lubbock, TXMarch 20, 2014
Pros: it's a pay check
Cons: you have to work there
THIS IS THE HARDEST JOB THAT ONE WILL EVER HAVE,MENTALLY,PHYSICALLY,AND DON'T EVEN THINK THAT YOU HAVE A LIFE, BECAUSE THAT IS NOT AN OPTION....WORK IS FULL OF DRAMA AND MANAGER ARE ALL IN IT..IF YOU WORK AND DON'T SAY ANYTHING. MOST CHANCES ARE YOU MIGHT BE O.K. BUT THEN AGAIN YOU MIGHT NOT!!! THE MANAGEMENT TEAM ARE UNFAIR AND BIAS..THIS JOB IS STRESSFUL YOU NEVER KNOW IF YOU WILL HAVE A JOB THE NEXT DAY...
Dastardly place of servitude
Processor (Current Employee), brewsterOctober 26, 2013
Pros: thinking about it
Cons: short breaks, heat, disregard for health codes
It wouldn't be bad if there was a set schedule, but your life is pretty whimsical when your schedule is updated daily!!. The Coworkers make it bearable.
Fast paced, high stress environment.
QA tech (Current Employee), OHOctober 21, 2013
Cons: no breaks, no apprecation, very high stress, poor hours, no life outside work.
You come in and multitask several responsibilities all shift. It would be fine, but you almost never get any breaks and if you are even two minutes late coming back from one they will write you up. The hardest part of this job is knowing that at any second they can fire you over something out of your control, or so miniscule it shouldn't even matter. They are unprofessional and if they want to tell you important personal information they will probably just text you or email you at home. The most enjoyable part? Leaving. I put my all in with this company and never saw any real reward.
Challenging
District Sales Manager (Former Employee), Livonia, MIAugust 19, 2013
Oversaw and directed sales and operations of the Livonia and Toledo branches with $3M in annual sales and an operating budget of $500,000; managed a team of 15 route and warehouse managers.

Of Note:
* Played a key role in the account management of all local DSD retail chains.
* Diligently grew territory and new sales revenue in SE Michigan and NW Ohio region.
* Developed, planne
Upward mobility
Maintenance Supervisor 1ST Shift-Midnights (Current Employee), Brewster, OHMarch 14, 2013
Pros: steady work
Cons: chain of command means less than it should
repair equipment, direct work, sent me to training,
change happens all the time
good people
Good people to work for.
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbus, OHOctober 20, 2012
Pros: free chips
Good place to work,they treat you right. 7 to 3, hours varry when driving chip rout. Warehouse work is fast pace. Management works with you and is always give you assistants.t The best part is the people you work with.
Good place to work.
Sustainability Intern (Former Employee), Brewster, OHJuly 17, 2012
A majority of time was spent working on improving energy efficiency in the plant, as well as improving the sustainability throughout the company.

About Shearer's Foods

Shearer's Foods' potato chips are Shearer perfection. Using Grandma Shearer's "hand-cooked" kettle recipe, the snacks company – Read more