Shearer's Foods Employee Reviews in United States

um
Packer (Former Employee) –  Brewster, MAJune 6, 2016
Not very good always in a hurry. I felt not treated fairly. Was not given help when i needed it never hardly had a helping person. It was not the job for me.
Very interesting place to work
Lead Packer (Former Employee) –  4676 Erie Ave SWMay 23, 2016
I loved working at Shearer's. I'm a person that likes staying busy and this job did just that. My only issue was how my two departments were managed. With the first department I worked in, we as a whole could basically make out own schedule. We just had to work fast and diligently. Unfortunately, too many associates did not do that and would leave early and leave all the work to everyone else so the ones left behind would stay late. This company has a strict attendance policy but it seem that a few people were above this and could just get away with leaving no matter what. The second department I was transferred to was wonderful. Very easy job, kept me working all day. I learned a lot about the systems, auditing, and more. However, because we used a lot of temps and worked with MRDD we weren't treated the same as everyone else and were often forgotten. We would have to wait almost the entire day for our product to get in if we got it so it would then make our orders late and we would end up having to work over our off times. Sometimes if product wasn't brought in we would be made to leave before the work day was even close to being done so our hours would be severely short.
Pros
monthly 'birthday' lunchin's, busy work place
Cons
short breaks, no water, extremely hot warehouse
Fun work day love the people working with team
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHMay 11, 2016
Come in have a group meeting, start day by getting on your work line and begin duty's. Management there to help at all times.Co workers outgoing funny and very up to beat.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Short Breaks, Hot environment
A great place to work.
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IAJanuary 22, 2016
We typically started up by cleaning trays for the product. I learned how to interact with other employees in a productive manner. Management were excellent, as they were hands-on. My co-workers were very friendly and responsive. The hardest part of the job usually occurred when the line went down for mechanical reasons. The most enjoyable part was the fast, yet relaxed pace of the work.
Pros
Great co-workers, friendly staff
Cons
N/A
Arduous work with decent pay rate.
Packaging Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Navarre, OHJanuary 5, 2016
The hours were long; overtime was mandatory. Worked weeks at a time without a day off; however, the pay was generous. Strengthened work ethic.
shearers was a good place to work but i had to move back to mississippi but im back looking for work
packer,corn reciever & forklift (Former Employee) –  newport arDecember 17, 2015
a regular day at shearers is 12hr days 2 on 2 off get paid every 2 weeks paid vacations also holidays the pay is great just a awesome plce to work if you want money
Pros
good chips
Cons
good days bad days
hard work get you nowhere
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Navarre, OHSeptember 2, 2015
promote wrong people, expect you to do a lot with no appreciation or recognition to your contribution ,job are easy but don't expect to work hard and be rewarded.
Great atmosphere
Packer/Packaging Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, VAMay 30, 2015
Fast paced, friendly people, safe , clean work environment, overall an enjoyable experience. Great pay, and benefits! They even offer a discount on health insurance for , good cholesterol levels, non smoking, good BMI.
Pros
All you can eat chips
Not crazy about this place
Processor (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OhioApril 2, 2015
I have worked at Shearer's for about 5 months now and honestly...i hate it. Management seems to tell you whatever they need to in order to appease you and then they will still do whatever they want. I have been switched back and forth between nights and days now four times. The whole factory I am at has been changed to 12 hour shift...you work 36 hours one week and then 48 hours the next. The overall moral at the factory seems horrible. Everyone walks around looking so unhappy. I am ready to move on.
Great People
Packaging Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXApril 2, 2015
Fast paced environment. Extreme temperatures. Staff is very friendly. With the number of hours worked staff became family.
I have met many friends at Shearer's Foods. I want a job where I can use my education.
Sanitation Technician (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHMarch 24, 2015
My team lead is an ex-Marine and is kinds difficult to work for at times. We make sure everything in the warehouse is clean and dusted. Wash and make sure all equipment is cleaned. The hardest part of the job for me is pulling the bucket wash cart up the ramp. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving at the end of the day and knowing I did the best I could do to do my job.
Pros
Short lunch breake.
Cons
Short breaks 4 a day.
It was okay
Packaging Department (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OhioMarch 9, 2015
My experience there wasn't the best, but I can't say anything bad about it because the work there was hard, but the money was good. I had to get out of there personally because the management treated me like I was an alien from another planet. They recently decided to do a block scheduling, taking away eight hour shift and converted it to 12 hour shifts. I had to change my life around COMPLETELY, because us, the people, didn't have a voice in anything so we had to decide what to do. I was enrolled in college, and I had to drop out of school so I had a job to pay my bills. People there were complaining about the 12 hour shift because it is so much strain and exhaustion on their body, but they were stuck on keeping the 12 hour shifts. Though you worked 3 days on week and have 4 days off, and vice versa the next week, but you were not promised your days off.
There are many other things, but I rather not discuss on here, so if you have any questions, I would gladly answer them in person.
very friendly and people you work with are amazing
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  brewster, ohioFebruary 12, 2015
when I start my day I come in, get boxes ready for my shift, pull skids all day and load trails. I've learned that you have to be quick on your feet and you have no time for errors. my co workers are fantastic I wouldn't trade them for anyone! my hardest part of the job is you never stopped moving, or if the shift before you doesn't completely prepare you then you struggle on a bad day, but if don't stop moving, work fast, you'll be able to get caught up and have an easier day. the enjoyable part of my job is coming to work knowing I am not alone if I need help with my job. I know no matter what kind of day it is every department helps each other out as much as they can. when I have time to spare I help other departments when there struggling. I love leaving work knowing I left it with all my duties done and the next shift is prepared for there day.
Pros
pay, benefits, people, and programs they have
Cons
short breaks, and sometimes commuication between supervisiors, workers, and quality people
All should be free
Processor (Former Employee) –  ohioNovember 18, 2014
if you like slavery work here you never know when you're working. It was the worst experience of my life. They make millions and don't even have a training program. I really don't have anything good to say about the company.
Cons
they exist
Potatoes before People
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Navarre, OHNovember 2, 2014
To many chiefs not enough Indians, too much management that has no idea what they are doing, they best thing they can do for the company is leave. The company likes to make petty rules so their so called managers can have a power trip and feel superior. The pay and benefits are mediocre at best, all while getting looked down upon and treated like dirt. There are no set schedules, hope you like you coworkers, you be seeing each other 6-7 days a week 8-12 hours a day. That being said the hardest part of the job is dealing with their "managers" and the best part would be clocking out for the day.
Pros
clocking out
Cons
everything
Clean and easy going work enviornment
packer on popper project (Former Employee) –  Navarre, OHSeptember 19, 2014
A typical day consist of working towards the delivery goal for that day. Shearer's is a potatoe chip factory so, i had the opportunity to learn about how they function. The management there is reasonable and very dedicated to their duties. I enjoyed working with all my co-workers, we had great team coordination, order and got things done usually ahead of schedule. Our "team" made the days go by fast and helped to make going to work for me, very enjoyable.
Pros
three breaks, clean, fast paced
Decent pay if you don't mind being a slave to a bag of chips
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Bristol virginiaApril 22, 2014
The management only cares about who's buy lunch today. They are so picky about dress codes and facial hair they allow some temps to have it and company employees can't. Department managers don't try to help employees. And they treat you like you own them your soul to work there.
Pros
maintenance gets every other weekend off if your not short handed or someone has vacation
Cons
everything!!!!
Benefits are good
Worker (Former Employee) –  OhioApril 3, 2014
Schedule always changes. Can never be sure what your days off will be from one week to the next.
Have no idea who to go to with complaints. The supervisors don't care.
If you like to be frustrated all the time than this is the place for you.
Pros
above average starting wages.
Cons
no structure or consistency.
A typical day at work
FLUNKIE (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 20, 2014
This is the hardest job that one will ever have,mentally,physically,and don't even think that you have a life, because that is not an option....Work is full of drama and manager are all in it..If you work and don't say anything. Most chances are you might be o.K. But then again you might not!!! The management team are unfair and bias..This job is stressful you never know if you will have a job the next day...
Pros
it's a pay check
Cons
you have to work there
Dastardly place of servitude
Processor (Current Employee) –  brewsterOctober 26, 2013
It wouldn't be bad if there was a set schedule, but your life is pretty whimsical when your schedule is updated daily!!. The Coworkers make it bearable.
Pros
thinking about it
Cons
short breaks, heat, disregard for health codes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shearer's Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8