Shearer's Foods Employee Reviews

wonderful fast past place
Packer (Former Employee) –  Hermiston, ORApril 26, 2017
loved this job and hated to leave. always busy never dull. managers were polite and awesome. you learn what good hard work is and how to work as a team.
Pros
learn good work ethic and teamwork
Cons
odd shifts.
Fast paced shuttle job
Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHApril 6, 2017
Decent job, 8 hr shifts, free medical care if you went to the onsite clinic. Ran product back and forth from the plant to the warehouse, about 9 miles apart. Move trailers in and out of the docks.
Pros
Local work, free medical care
Cons
catching up on trailers from the previous shift
Great job to have
Sanitation Technician (Current Employee) –  Brewster, OHFebruary 28, 2017
I work a typical 40 hour week while cleaning machines and other equipment to get ready for start up at the beginning of each week. Co workers are easily to get along with. Overall the company offer advancement from within.
Pros
40 hour work week
Cons
Heat in the summer months
Productive place to work
LABORER (Former Employee) –  Newport, ARFebruary 13, 2017
Jobs are not complicated but the hours are very long and the mandatory overtime cuts into any personal life you have. If you can handle the heat you will be ok in this environment. Depending on your shift or crew the management is pretty friendly but there are some that are not approachable.
Pros
Good pay, friendly work environment
Cons
Long hours, mandatory overtime
No personal life. Very difficult work.
Packer (Former Employee) –  Brewster, OHOctober 9, 2016
Overall a very good company. But, 85% of people who hire in, cannot physically keep up to doing the work of a machine day in and day out for 10-12 hrs a day, 6-7 days a week. Very few make it past 3 months. Must be physically fit in great physical condition.
Supervisor was nice. Employees were friendly and helpful. Benefits were great. On site clinic. Pay very good.
No personal life when working 6-7 days a week.
Pros
Benefits, pay, co workers.
Cons
No Personal Life, Must keep up to extremely fast machines, long hours
I loved my job
Raw Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Perham, MNSeptember 15, 2016
my day was always fast paced and busy. I learned a lot about inventory management. The warehouse supervisors stood behind their people. I got along with everyone, too busy to really spend anytime talking to anyone. My job wasn't hard more demanding than anything. I enjoyed doing my job
Great people and environment
Sanitation Technician (Current Employee) –  Burlington, IASeptember 9, 2016
Always on the go with something to do every day.
Managers and employees are easy to get along with and work with,
The hardest part is trying to train more than 3 people in a confined space area.
What i like about my job is no matter how long you have worked there, there is always something new to learn every day.
fun, easy job. good team work together
Packaging (Former Employee) –  Brewster, OHJuly 14, 2016
first got hired for afternoon 4pm to 12am about 6 month changed to day 8am to 4pm. i really love working there most time i willing work over time
Cons
short break
um
Packer (Former Employee) –  Brewster, MAJune 6, 2016
Not very good always in a hurry. I felt not treated fairly. Was not given help when i needed it never hardly had a helping person. It was not the job for me.
Very interesting place to work
Lead Packer (Former Employee) –  4676 Erie Ave SWMay 23, 2016
I loved working at Shearer's. I'm a person that likes staying busy and this job did just that. My only issue was how my two departments were managed. With the first department I worked in, we as a whole could basically make out own schedule. We just had to work fast and diligently. Unfortunately, too many associates did not do that and would leave early and leave all the work to everyone else so the ones left behind would stay late. This company has a strict attendance policy but it seem that a few people were above this and could just get away with leaving no matter what. The second department I was transferred to was wonderful. Very easy job, kept me working all day. I learned a lot about the systems, auditing, and more. However, because we used a lot of temps and worked with MRDD we weren't treated the same as everyone else and were often forgotten. We would have to wait almost the entire day for our product to get in if we got it so it would then make our orders late and we would end up having to work over our off times. Sometimes if product wasn't brought in we would be made to leave before the work day was even close to being done so our hours would be severely short.
Pros
monthly 'birthday' lunchin's, busy work place
Cons
short breaks, no water, extremely hot warehouse
Fun work day love the people working with team
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Massillon, OHMay 11, 2016
Come in have a group meeting, start day by getting on your work line and begin duty's. Management there to help at all times.Co workers outgoing funny and very up to beat.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Short Breaks, Hot environment
A great place to work.
General Labor (Former Employee) –  Burlington, IAJanuary 22, 2016
We typically started up by cleaning trays for the product. I learned how to interact with other employees in a productive manner. Management were excellent, as they were hands-on. My co-workers were very friendly and responsive. The hardest part of the job usually occurred when the line went down for mechanical reasons. The most enjoyable part was the fast, yet relaxed pace of the work.
Pros
Great co-workers, friendly staff
Cons
N/a
Arduous work with decent pay rate.
Packaging Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Navarre, OHJanuary 5, 2016
The hours were long; overtime was mandatory. Worked weeks at a time without a day off; however, the pay was generous. Strengthened work ethic.
shearers was a good place to work but i had to move back to mississippi but im back looking for work
packer,corn reciever & forklift (Former Employee) –  newport arDecember 17, 2015
a regular day at shearers is 12hr days 2 on 2 off get paid every 2 weeks paid vacations also holidays the pay is great just a awesome plce to work if you want money
Pros
good chips
Cons
good days bad days
hard work get you nowhere
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Navarre, OHSeptember 2, 2015
promote wrong people, expect you to do a lot with no appreciation or recognition to your contribution ,job are easy but don't expect to work hard and be rewarded.
Great atmosphere
Packer/Packaging Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bristol, VAMay 30, 2015
Fast paced, friendly people, safe , clean work environment, overall an enjoyable experience. Great pay, and benefits! They even offer a discount on health insurance for , good cholesterol levels, non smoking, good BMI.
Pros
All you can eat chips
Not crazy about this place
Processor (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OhioApril 2, 2015
I have worked at Shearer's for about 5 months now and honestly...i hate it. Management seems to tell you whatever they need to in order to appease you and then they will still do whatever they want. I have been switched back and forth between nights and days now four times. The whole factory I am at has been changed to 12 hour shift...you work 36 hours one week and then 48 hours the next. The overall moral at the factory seems horrible. Everyone walks around looking so unhappy. I am ready to move on.
Great People
Packaging Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXApril 2, 2015
Fast paced environment. Extreme temperatures. Staff is very friendly. With the number of hours worked staff became family.
I have met many friends at Shearer's Foods. I want a job where I can use my education.
Sanitation Technician (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OHMarch 24, 2015
My team lead is an ex-Marine and is kinds difficult to work for at times. We make sure everything in the warehouse is clean and dusted. Wash and make sure all equipment is cleaned. The hardest part of the job for me is pulling the bucket wash cart up the ramp. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving at the end of the day and knowing I did the best I could do to do my job.
Pros
Short lunch breake.
Cons
Short breaks 4 a day.
It was okay
Packaging Department (Current Employee) –  Massillon, OhioMarch 9, 2015
My experience there wasn't the best, but I can't say anything bad about it because the work there was hard, but the money was good. I had to get out of there personally because the management treated me like I was an alien from another planet. They recently decided to do a block scheduling, taking away eight hour shift and converted it to 12 hour shifts. I had to change my life around COMPLETELY, because us, the people, didn't have a voice in anything so we had to decide what to do. I was enrolled in college, and I had to drop out of school so I had a job to pay my bills. People there were complaining about the 12 hour shift because it is so much strain and exhaustion on their body, but they were stuck on keeping the 12 hour shifts. Though you worked 3 days on week and have 4 days off, and vice versa the next week, but you were not promised your days off.
There are many other things, but I rather not discuss on here, so if you have any questions, I would gladly answer them in person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shearer's Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval