Shearman & Sterling LLP Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Partner's Assistant/Workflow Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 16, 2017
At the time, it was a fun place to work. I was expose to many different departments within the law firm and gained a lot of experience. Learned a lot and was given additional responsibilities to grow.
Great Workplace
Technical Support Specialist lll (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 26, 2017
Great Workplace and good people to work for and with. I can only speak for my current manager who is great. IT positions pay well at this firm as long as you have the credentials.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Not big on cross training and switching
Temporary assignments at Shearman & Sterling
Proofreader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 21, 2017
Relatively calm work atmosphere. Good in terms of instruction, mostly fair in terms of work pace. Sometimes stacked up "rush" jobs on top of each other, which really doesn't need to be done in most law firms: if it isn't a death penalty case (and these were mainly corporate legal matters), it isn't a true emergency.
safe and cofortable work environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 7, 2017
schedule patients for procedures, sonograms, follow ups, and blood testing
obtain copayments and payments from patients per facility procedure
manifest CMS 1500 forms per billing procedure
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
no cons
Litigation Support Analyst
E-Discovery Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2017
Created and maintained review databases. Processed and loaded documents for attorney review. Trained new employees on firm software. Created productions when needed.
Good company to work at
Security Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 10, 2017
Good company to work at.
Management should take security more seriously, and budget more funds.
The people are very professional and a great working environment.
Productive, diverse corporate law enviorment with highly competent employees and friendly staff
Floor Coordinator and Backup Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York City, NYFebruary 2, 2017
A typical work day consisted of multi-tasking various administrative duties for Partners, Attorneys and Legal Assistants including, but not limited to, managing and scheduling calendar of events, meetings and conferences; maintaining records of confidential files, producing client invoices; responsible for revising, reviewing and proofreading legal documents and answering high-level of telephone calls and relaying all messages. The most enjoyable part of the job was working as a team with my co-workers in establishing a friendly and supportive workplace culture for both staff and clientele. Through the years, my experience as a legal administrative assistant/secretary has shown me how to be flexible, efficient and productive in all I do.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short breaks
Good learning environment.
Legal Assistant - Real Estate Group (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2016
Fortunately, I did not find that I was required to work the long hours typically associated with being a legal assistant. This lead to a very nice work/life balance. I was able to work directly with Partners and did a handful of interesting projects.
Environment
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2016
Great laid back environment. Management trusts you to work alone, unless theres a project. For a law firm, its a pretty typical work day with tickets.
I wish the place had a pool table or something
Indoor Messenger (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 26, 2015
It didn't take long for me to get used to this job. I had learned quickly enough. I have gotten on time and finished the job on time
Executive Assistant Workflow Coordinator
Executive Assistant/Workflow Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2015
Very large company, so many opportunities to grow. It was a great place to work. Management was very supportive. Great place to learn new things.
You get too complacent here
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2015
Everyone here is very friendly and it's great work/life balance!

However compensation is really low and the yearly raises don't even cover inflation. Everyone is complacent and unless somebody leaves or quits you won't see job advancement for a while. Management is very poor, it's difficult to find out who knows what or does what in this work environment when there is no formal training. A lot of wasted time on poor communication through emails. Definitely needs some change in that area. The job culture is great, but it's hardly demonstrated. Everyone is nice, but they keep to themselves, it's a very quiet environment and people are hard to approach.
Pros
Great work/life balance, great benefits!
Cons
Low compensation, poor management, very difficult to advance
Food Prep Worker
Food Prep. Worker (Intern) (Former Employee) –  New York CityNovember 7, 2014
I loved working with food. It was great. I enjoyed working with my co-workers
My typical Day
Buyer - Global Procurement (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2013
A typical day for me will include placing orders for services, products softwares, reviewing SOW's etc. Will include contacting vendors and researching products, confirming deliveries, orders or processing invoices for payment. I work with a variety of people on a day-to-day basis both within the firm and outside the firm. The hardest part of my job at times can be taking a minute to breathe. Sometimes there is so much to do but with skillful planning everything can be solved without a hick-up. I perfer to be busy and taking care of things than to not be busy at all. Greatest part of the day is when all tasks are completed and everyone is satisfied, then you get to do it all over again the next day.
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2013
If you can get an offer a place like Shearman, you're going to be working for one of the top law firms in the entire world. And I mean the world. There are very few places where you can work with associates from various countries on infrastructure deals, or some of the best legal minds on pure banking deals and receive free tickets to the opera all the while. Shearman also emphasizes mentoring, which is critical to the development of corporate legal skills sets. Now, the hardest part of the job is managing your schedule. It's a 9-to5+ place. But that comes with the territory: the reputation of the firm, the skills and networks you develop and the perks.
Perfect environment to learn
Help Desk Support (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2013
- pushes you learn how to make smart and fast decisions
- provide trainings that allow you to become an expert in firm applications
- push you to perfect your document processing skills due to the request of Word problem solving issues.
Pros
paid trainings
Productive environment
Senior Associate (Property Group) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 22, 2012
real estate attorney, practicing in all areas of finance, acquisitions, dispositions, etc.
Review
Branch Office Accountant (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJune 4, 2012
learned to work with different type of people
great coworkers
S&S is a great environment in which to work.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 16, 2012
There isn't much turn-over at Shearman which says a lot for an employer. I felt comfortable at this branch until they started to downsize.