Shedd Aquarium Employee Reviews in United States

Fun Environment
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2016
Great place to work, enjoyed the day to day. All in all I enjoyed working there and doing photography, would have kept going with the animal encounter photo work if I had been given the opportunity.
Pros
Great stuff to see, could get into the muesuems and all free
Cons
Very Very loud place to work with constant field trips and tourist
very great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2016
A typical day at work for me was very fasting moving, always busy very loud and I always had something to do. most people came here to site see so it was never a dull moment.
Pros
Free entry
Cons
Had to pay for your lunch
fun workplace
Securtiy Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2016
great work place you get to encounter all types of people from all over the world while working get to enjoy the surrounding area as far as fish and aquatic shows but the pay was not good.
Fun
Student Participant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2016
Fun job for young people, really enjoyed the experience and recommend anyone young and enjoy the museum to apply for a position
FUN, summer job,not during winter
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  1200 s lake shore Dr. Chicago,ILSeptember 23, 2015
nice busy environment during the summer, loving management who is willing to make arrangements with you, easy to get promoted, however,not for everyone. some work hard and are not recognized for it. Best part is serving the customers that come from all over the world. Hardest part is trying to make a living during the slow months.
Fun environment and room to advance
STOCK/SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2015
Everyday I would be assigned the responsibility of keeping the shelves fully stocked and presentable for 1-3 gift stores. I learned a lot about sales strategies and product placement. The management was great when everyone was on the same page. I loved my co-workers; the most enjoyable part of the job was the environment they created. The hardest part about the job was trying to find products in the stock room.
good working environment with people interaction
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2015
Fun work place where you interact with customers and learn new things. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to talk to the chef's and the different things they've learned in the Culinary World
Fun and productive place to work
Sodexo Food Service - Food Prep and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2016
A typical day at the Shedd Aquarium was a brief meeting with the boss letting the team know what type of day was ahead of us, getting prepared for customers and a busy/calm day. Interacting with people from all over the world and country was the excitement of the job. On game days you see the fans of both the Bears and whoever they are playing, the interaction between the fans and the workers are priceless you would think we all know each other and are getting snacks to go watch the game together. Some days are jam packed and you have to work at a fast pace but that's what i like; working at a fast pace keeps me on my toes and not worrying about what time it is. My coworkers have taught me a lot without knowing, they were my family and if i needed anything they were there to help vice versa. Could never come to work in a bad mood because the people i work with will do something to make you smile and/or laugh so your can have a better day. The managers where hands on and cool, they did their jobs and if we were swamped with customers they would even come help out. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with my customers especially those who are visiting the city i would refer them to my favorite places, and restaurants in the city and they would tell me something about them and there culture.
Productive and fun work experience
Guest Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2015
Job involved interacting with various guests from across the world and sharing your knowledge regarding the various species that are living in the Shedd Aquarium.
overall interesting
food handler (Former Employee) –  chicago ilAugust 10, 2015
everyday was a learning experience. being able to meet new people and learn about the history of the shedd and even the animals.

Want to know more about Shedd Aquarium?

Ask a question
Volunteering at Shedd Aquarium
Research and Evaluation Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2014
The main work at Shedd Aquarium is to get the best possible feedback from visitors by assisting with data collection and data entry. Additionally, there are some administrative tasks I need to do at work.

This is special experience for me because I am able to communicate with visitors from various cultures. Smiles from their faces indicate that they enjoy themselves at Shedd Aquarium and this makes very happy during work. What I learnt from this work is improvement of my communication skill.
very interesting
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2013
getting kids to have their parents by a certain toy we would stand outside playing with a certain toy to make them want it kinda like advertising.or workign the register and also stocking clothes and different things on the selves.i learned how to work in retail it was something different and very new to me it was good. my managment and co workers were also pretty cool the hardest part was learning stuff ive never done before the most enjoyable was the interaction with the different people that can in the store
Pros
experience
I am learning a lot here and meeting new people with the career that I want to get into
Prep Cook/Grab & Go (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2012
Prepare everything that I need in any of the stations that I will be working at whether it be at the Burrito, Grill, Pizza station. When restaurant stations open I’m also preparing the food for the customers whether it be on any of these three stations.
Clean up and wash up the utensils that were being used from the station I was working at the end of the day.
Its fun to see families come from different places
Sales Associate/Lead Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2012
A typical day at work during the summer is really busy, which has helped me develop my customer care, as well as how to sale items to guess. Co- workers are fun to work with since they are all my age. Hardest thing about this job is dealing with the traffic in Chicago while a game is happening downtown since its slows business down a lot.
Pros
fun
Cons
attitudes
Fun place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2012
Shedd aquarium is the most attended paid public facility in the state of Illinois. Whereas other attractions like the Art Institute and Field Museum can survive without Volunteers, Shedd cannot. The people who work there are cognizant of that and therefore the volunteer program at Shedd is magnificent. You feel appreciated and needed.
Pros
free tickets to all other museums in the city.
it was great overall
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2015
it was great overall I got to help and meet people from all over the world and hear all he different languages people spoke. workin with animals are great.
Almost Perfect
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2012
One of the few jobs I've ever had where I looked forward to going to work everyday, and didn't want to leave at the end of the shift. Great benefits, interesting, and fantastic co-workers. Overall, a truly great place to work.
Pros
benefits, family-oriented environment, extremely interesting place to work.
Cons
pay could have been better.
Fun environment with a strong mission
Coordinator, Volunteer and Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2013
Strap a mask and flippers onto your imagination and chart a course to Shedd Aquarium. Have you ever gotten eye-to-eye with a dolphin? Or met a penguin on a stroll to the South Pole? Or immersed yourself in an Amazon flooded forest? At Shedd, it's all possible.
fun
Guest Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2014
fun learning new things getting to kno new people from different places and have taking on new challengs working the cent cultra seeing the smile on the kids faces
Pros
watchig free shows and hvae to stand in line
Cons
long line for th food section
Good and comfortable workplace
Food Service worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 23, 2014
-Fast paced on occassion
-How to multitask and handle a wide variety of orders
-the co workers are easy to get along with and good team players
-Dealing with a very slow day
Pros
free lunch and tickets to the aquarium
Cons
always under 40 hours, no proper raises.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shedd Aquarium. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2