Shedd Aquarium Employee Reviews

Good
Shedd Steward Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2017
I don't know honestly i can barely remember. they took us behind the scenes a lot we helped feed the fishes and helped with the caretakers and learned how to better the oceans.
Fun workplace
Ambassador Program (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 30, 2017
A typical day at work is an early start waiting to greet customers, assist them with any problem or concern. I learned that customers come first. Assisting customers and making them feel like you care is important for business. Management is important it helps keep balance to the company and the workers. Hardest part about a job can be based upon how your day is going, will it affect how you work or affect your attitude on the customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowning you helped a customer to the best of your ability.
working with the animals , learning so much imformation
guest experience ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 2, 2017
working at the shedd aquarium was by far one of my favorite jobs . . . the animals, the people i worked with ,the trainers, the experiences i learned and was able to share with guests was amazing. . .the guest were not always apperciative , and when they complained ,we got wrote up. . . even when we were doing our job. .typical day morning meeting, informed of the days agenda . everyone on the same page..i learned something everyday, all day from the guest the trainers and imformation passed on by fellow associates . .typical day during peak was exciting from the minute we opened at 9am till we closed , fast pace ,sometimes overwelming , 8 to 10 thousand people a day. . .never the same day different posts, different people you work with
Pros
exciting, educational
Cons
management didnt always back you up
Atmosphere
Green Gardner/Shedd Naturalist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 25, 2017
I did a summer internship with them for two years, I had a great time learned about ocean life as well as gardening. The team leaders were great peer to look up to. I meet other teens from various backgrounds. It was a great summer experience.!!!
Pros
Culture diversity
Cons
Temporary job
Summer job
Shedd ambassador (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2017
This job was my first job. It was the best learning experience. I had to learn how to manage time being able to learn communication skills and being able to get comfortable to be around people I don't know.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Short breaks
Amazing workplace
Horticulture Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 20, 2017
The people working at the Shedd Aquarium are fantastic. Super open minded and very into what the Shedd stands fro in regards to conservation and sustainability.
Fun workplace
Guest Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 5, 2017
I love going to work there because everyday customers give me a fact about something I didn't know about the Shedd. The management style was awesome because we had more than two managers.
Audience Research evalator
Audience Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2016
Responsibilities, job required interaction with the public, greeting audience, requesting experience information from the public, assisting in questionnaires, coordinating meetings and POA’s. Duty’s also included working as reception personnel greeting and directing the guests to appropriate places. In addition, I worked Jazzing at the Shedd, as collector of information from audience and correlation of the information later.
Pros
Free Shedd Visits
Cons
transit time
A working day at the Shedd
Customer service was key at the Shedd (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 15, 2016
The Shedd is not only a great to visit, but also to work at. I learned so many new things while in the Shedd, from fun facts about the specimens to great customer service. The best thing about working at the Shedd was being able to see all the types of specimens they have.
Pros
long breaks, free tickets
Cons
cold at times, little pay
very great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2016
A typical day at work for me was very fasting moving, always busy very loud and I always had something to do. most people came here to site see so it was never a dull moment.
Pros
Free entry
Cons
Had to pay for your lunch
Fun Environment
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2016
Great place to work, enjoyed the day to day. All in all I enjoyed working there and doing photography, would have kept going with the animal encounter photo work if I had been given the opportunity.
Pros
Great stuff to see, could get into the muesuems and all free
Cons
Very Very loud place to work with constant field trips and tourist
Fun
Student Participant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2016
Fun job for young people, really enjoyed the experience and recommend anyone young and enjoy the museum to apply for a position
fun workplace
Securtiy Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2016
great work place you get to encounter all types of people from all over the world while working get to enjoy the surrounding area as far as fish and aquatic shows but the pay was not good.
Fun and productive place to work
Sodexo Food Service - Food Prep and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 15, 2016
A typical day at the Shedd Aquarium was a brief meeting with the boss letting the team know what type of day was ahead of us, getting prepared for customers and a busy/calm day. Interacting with people from all over the world and country was the excitement of the job. On game days you see the fans of both the Bears and whoever they are playing, the interaction between the fans and the workers are priceless you would think we all know each other and are getting snacks to go watch the game together. Some days are jam packed and you have to work at a fast pace but that's what i like; working at a fast pace keeps me on my toes and not worrying about what time it is. My coworkers have taught me a lot without knowing, they were my family and if i needed anything they were there to help vice versa. Could never come to work in a bad mood because the people i work with will do something to make you smile and/or laugh so your can have a better day. The managers where hands on and cool, they did their jobs and if we were swamped with customers they would even come help out. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with my customers especially those who are visiting the city i would refer them to my favorite places, and restaurants in the city and they would tell me something about them and there culture.
FUN, summer job,not during winter
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  1200 s lake shore Dr. Chicago,ILSeptember 23, 2015
nice busy environment during the summer, loving management who is willing to make arrangements with you, easy to get promoted, however,not for everyone. some work hard and are not recognized for it. Best part is serving the customers that come from all over the world. Hardest part is trying to make a living during the slow months.
good working environment with people interaction
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2015
Fun work place where you interact with customers and learn new things. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to talk to the chef's and the different things they've learned in the Culinary World
overall interesting
food handler (Former Employee) –  chicago ilAugust 10, 2015
everyday was a learning experience. being able to meet new people and learn about the history of the shedd and even the animals.
Fun environment and room to advance
STOCK/SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 28, 2015
Everyday I would be assigned the responsibility of keeping the shelves fully stocked and presentable for 1-3 gift stores. I learned a lot about sales strategies and product placement. The management was great when everyone was on the same page. I loved my co-workers; the most enjoyable part of the job was the environment they created. The hardest part about the job was trying to find products in the stock room.
Productive and fun work experience
Guest Experience Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2015
Job involved interacting with various guests from across the world and sharing your knowledge regarding the various species that are living in the Shedd Aquarium.
it was great overall
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2015
it was great overall I got to help and meet people from all over the world and hear all he different languages people spoke. workin with animals are great.