Shedd Aquarium

Shedd Aquarium Employer Reviews

fun
Guest Service Attendant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 8, 2014
Pros: watchig free shows and hvae to stand in line
Cons: long line for th food section
fun learning new things getting to kno new people from different places and have taking on new challengs working the cent cultra seeing the smile on the kids faces
Busy enviroment in a great atmosphere
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 9, 2014
While working at the Shedd I found my interest in wanting to work in the food industry as a Chef or Food Prep. Working in the kitchen at the Shedd was a great experience.
Awesome location, diverse community, friendly customers, long commute.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Lakeshore DrAugust 12, 2014
Pros: you get a lot of great discounts towards hotels, chicago museums, car rentals, and water taxis.
Cons: scheduling: they are not always flexible when you are in college, very strict when it comes to uniform policy
Being a shed employee gives you the opportunity to work in one of the most famous museums in the world. It gives you free admission to other cultural attractions and access to some amazing fish and aquatic animals. Driving to the Shedd was my main method of transportation. Upon arrival we met in the main office to discuss where we would be station at. We were then given our daily quota. Our duties varied on daily basis, depending on were we where located. However, my job mainly consisted of: directly consumers to exhibition locations, answering any questions regarding aquarium, providing additional information about animals, and assisting in the gift shop. Co-workers were genuinely friendly, hardworking, and originated from multiple groups of culturally diverse ethnicities. One of the most challenging aspects of my job at the Shedd Aquarium, was the long commute, which consisted of driving a total of 80 miles to and from work. Although this was difficult, especially during the winter time (heavy snow, rainfall) I was able to manage my time effectively. I always arrived on time. Although there were many enjoyable parts of my job, my favorite responsibility and duty included interacting and assisting customers. I have many positive interpesonal characteristics that make me a "people's person". Effective communication among these workplace situations has always been one of my top strengths.
greAt
Helper customer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2014
it a great place to work, I love dolphins there. the people I work they are very nice in kinds too.
Good and comfortable workplace
Food Service worker (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 23, 2014
Pros: free lunch and tickets to the aquarium
Cons: always under 40 hours, no proper raises.
-Fast paced on occassion
-How to multitask and handle a wide variety of orders
-the co workers are easy to get along with and good team players
-Dealing with a very slow day
Volunteering at Shedd Aquarium
Research and Evaluation Volunteer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 9, 2014
The main work at Shedd Aquarium is to get the best possible feedback from visitors by assisting with data collection and data entry. Additionally, there are some administrative tasks I need to do at work.

This is special experience for me because I am able to communicate with visitors from various cultures. Smiles from their faces indicate that they enjoy themselves at Shedd Aquarium and this makes very happy during work. What I learnt from this work is improvement of my communication skill.
In the Work place
Photographer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2013
Very sales based. Competing with other venues. Trying to always meet our monthly quotas and meeting that percap
Productive and fun environment
Photographer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2013
The Value of hard work. Creating and maintaining a solid team.
Fun environment with a strong mission
Coordinator, Volunteer and Internship Program (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2013
Strap a mask and flippers onto your imagination and chart a course to Shedd Aquarium. Have you ever gotten eye-to-eye with a dolphin? Or met a penguin on a stroll to the South Pole? Or immersed yourself in an Amazon flooded forest? At Shedd, it's all possible.
very interesting
Cashier (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: experience
getting kids to have their parents by a certain toy we would stand outside playing with a certain toy to make them want it kinda like advertising.or workign the register and also stocking clothes and different things on the selves.i learned how to work in retail it was something different and very new to me it was good. my managment and co workers were also pretty cool the hardest part was learning stuff ive never done before the most enjoyable was the interaction with the different people that can in the store
Its fun to see families come from different places
Sales Associate/Lead Cashier (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: fun
Cons: attitudes
A typical day at work during the summer is really busy, which has helped me develop my customer care, as well as how to sale items to guess. Co- workers are fun to work with since they are all my age. Hardest thing about this job is dealing with the traffic in Chicago while a game is happening downtown since its slows business down a lot.
I am learning a lot here and meeting new people with the career that I want to get into
Prep Cook/Grab & Go (Current Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 6, 2012
Prepare everything that I need in any of the stations that I will be working at whether it be at the Burrito, Grill, Pizza station. When restaurant stations open I’m also preparing the food for the customers whether it be on any of these three stations.
Clean up and wash up the utensils that were being used from the station I was working at the end of the day.
Fun place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 15, 2012
Pros: free tickets to all other museums in the city.
Shedd aquarium is the most attended paid public facility in the state of Illinois. Whereas other attractions like the Art Institute and Field Museum can survive without Volunteers, Shedd cannot. The people who work there are cognizant of that and therefore the volunteer program at Shedd is magnificent. You feel appreciated and needed.
great place with positive attitudes and wonderful people.
Cash handling, Membership sales (Former Employee), elmhurstMarch 28, 2012
very fast paced, never got boring so you would always have a positive attitude working here.
The Shedd Aquarium was a great place to work. There were many things to learn there.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2012
Pros: a beautiful atmosphere
The Shedd had great learning experiences, there were new animals yearly. Also people could come and enjoy the out door atmosphere.
Almost Perfect
Security Officer (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2012
Pros: benefits, family-oriented environment, extremely interesting place to work.
Cons: pay could have been better.
One of the few jobs I've ever had where I looked forward to going to work everyday, and didn't want to leave at the end of the shift. Great benefits, interesting, and fantastic co-workers. Overall, a truly great place to work.