Responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the service departments in Sioux Falls, Rapid City and Aberdeen. Full profit and loss accountability and customer support responsibilities. Provide leadership, human resource and administrative support to 4 service managers, 27 mechanics and 5 service administrators; ensure that company policies and procedures are adhered.
- Full profit & loss accountability for all 4 service departments.
- Work closely with the service managers to ensure that company/branch goals and objectives are met and/or exceeded.
- Travel to Rapid City and Aberdeen every 6-8 weeks (sometime more frequently) to meet with customers and vendors, support the service department and train personnel.
- Daily interactions with the service managers, warranty administrator, service administrators and mechanics (via email, phone and/or in person) to foster better communication, share information and promote best practices.
- Support an open door policy; anyone within the dealership can come and discuss any issue that may affect the operation of the dealership. This includes phone calls from the branches.
- Listen objectively and make recommendations for the betterment of the dealership.
- Work with each service managers to help them manage their department. This management approach includes:
o Customer relations, employee concerns, training needs, operating expenses and to help prepare an annual budget.
o Forecasting of operating expenses and equipment purchases.
- Attend all the regional and national conferences hosted by Volvo Construction Equipment and Mack Trucks. These events include manufacturing seminars, training courses and trade show events to help stay updated on industry trends and new technology.
- Work with all departments to resolve difficult customer issues and service problems in a prompt and efficient manner.
o The goal is to ensure customer satisfaction and stabilize our credibility with the customer.
- Field calls from all branches and departments for miscellaneous decisions; i.e., theft, weekend emergencies, customer concerns, building related issues, etc.
- An advocate for all product lines represented at the dealership.
o The goal is to convey the value of the product and support it with our parts and service departments.
- Work with the warranty administrator on a daily basis.
o Assisting and ensuring that all warranties are filed in a timely manner for all product lines.
- Make every effort to involve our factory representative for assistance with any policy/goodwill adjustment claims.
- Monitor the work order process.
- Work with the service administrative team and mechanics to ensure that all work order activities are completed accurately to ensure accuracy of invoicing.
- Purchase and/or coordinate the purchase of all shop equipment (i.e. jacks, jack stands, ladders, lifts, impacts, specialty tools, laptops and software, etc.).
- Purchase all service pickups and mechanic trucks.
o With the purchase of these trucks; identify and purchase additional accessories required (tool storage, welders, air compressors, generators, tooling, etc.).
o Coordinate the truck graphic design and installation.
Facility management - building and grounds:
- Coordinate any and all electrical, heating/cooling, waste disposal, plumbing, building, garage door, services and/or repairs.
- This may include maintenance activities in Rapid City or Aberdeen.
- Responsible for hiring all service personnel at all branches.
- Hiring includes creating job announcements, recruitment, interviewing, pre-employment drug screening and DOT physicals.
- Oversee the recruitment of new technical graduate students.
- Responsible for all employee corrective action processes (up to termination), performance & wage reviews, promotions and employee development.
- Work and coach the service managers through employee related issues (i.e. workmanship, attendance, punctuality, quality, safety, etc.).
- Draft and administer all corrective action memos and written letters.
- Follow up with the service manager and employee after each corrective action to ensure compliance.
- Serve as an advisory board member at Lake Area Technical Institute and Southeast Technical Institute.
- Actively participate in career fairs at local technical colleges.
- Meet with students and bring employer/career awareness at the Career and Technical Education Academy; the technical high school here in Sioux Falls.
- Provide computer and systems training to all service personnel on an as needed basis; i.e., NDS, VDN, RMC, Prosis, Caretrack, TDP, MVASIST and Microsoft Office 2010.
- Monitor the training status of each service manager, mechanic and administrative staff member to ensure that we are in compliance with all required training and standards for Volvo CE, Mack Trucks, and other vendors.
- This includes coaching and mentoring all service department personnel.
o Coordinate and monitor employee participation in all computer based, on-site and off-site training courses.
- Setup all the flights, transportation, hotel accommodations and cash advances (if needed) for offsite training courses.
- On-site training may include transportation, hotel accommodations and cash advances.
- Network with neighboring Volvo CE/Mack dealers to set up regional training courses.
- Arrange and ensure that all relevant truck/equipment and training aids are available for the onsite training courses.
- Coordinate to have factory instructor’s onsite and negotiate the training rates.
- Arrange the training location, set-up the training room, coordinate snacks, lunches, etc.
- Develop and organize training opportunities for our Volvo CE/Mack customer’s:
o Arrange to have factory instructor’s onsite and negotiate the training rates.
o Arrange and ensure that all relevant truck/equipment and training aids are available for the onsite training courses.
o Make training announcements to all potential customers/participants.
o Arrange hotel accommodations for participants.
o Arrange the training location, set-up the training room, coordinate snacks, lunches, etc.
- Safety Director for a companywide safety program, encouraging and supporting a safe culture within the dealership.
- Manage EPA, OSHA, MSHA and DOT compliance.
- Work with the Sioux Falls Fire Marshall on all annual fire/safety inspections.
- Coordinate all fire alarm and sprinkler system inspections.
- Work with our insurance company on safety audits.
- Work with the South Dakota Department of Transportation regulatory agency for driver compliance and/or audits/reviews.
- Coordinate and manage the CDL Random Selection Pool with Avera Healthworks.
o This includes the drivers in Rapid City and Aberdeen.
- Report and work with Jenny on all worker compensation claims.
- Coordinate and/or participate in all safety meetings at all locations.
- Purchase and/or coordinate the purchase of all personal protective equipment (PPE) as required by OSHA for all locations.
- Inspect and/or coordinate the inspection of all first aid kits, AED, fire extinguishers, eye wash stations, spill control stations and exhaust extraction systems.
- Conduct annual forklift training for parts and service personnel at all locations.
- Actively engage in our overall business strategies.
- Assist with development of budgets for all service departments.
- Develop Customer Support Agreement quotes that meet all our customer’s needs.
- Meet with key customers on an as needed basis to build a strong partnership and support their specific products.
- Stay alert to our competition and current market conditions.
- Assist our parts and sales departments in creating marketing tactics for increased product penetration.
- Developed and implemented labor pricing strategies for all our products in all locations.
- Conduct area labor and wage surveys on an annual basis to ensure that we our competitive in our respective markets.
o These surveys are conducted separately for all locations to reflect the different regions.
- Work closely with all our factory representatives of the products that we represent in order to build a strong professional working relationship.
Indeed - 11 months ago
Premier dealer of Mack Trucks and Volvo Construction Equipment serving the entire state of South Dakota and parts of Iowa and Minnesota....