SHELBY COUNTY GOVERNMENT

SHELBY COUNTY GOVERNMENT Employer Reviews

Rewarding place to work
Fire Department Dispatcher (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: co-workers
Cons: salary differentials
Staff are all great! rewarding job with great benefits. People listen to you if you have concerns.
Overall a great place to work with good benefits
Human Resource Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: government which ususally means job security
Cons: public opinion about government workers
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping employees and their families obtain benefits that are best for their needs.

I have learned more about FMLA and STD during my tenure.
Great operation
Administrator, Human Resources (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 18, 2014
Pros: leading some great employees
Cons: politics
We were able to develop a great culture. The Chief Administrative Officer and I had a great relationship, however when he was appointed by the goveror to become a Criminal Court Judge, his replacement asked for my resignation and the culture went down.
Compensation Assistant (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 27, 2014
Great location.

Hours are good.

Pay is ok.

Underground parking
Wonderful place to work
Accountant B in Finance Department (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 10, 2014
Pros: advancement possibilities
Cons: nothing
I worked for Shelby County Government for 25 years and retired with a full service retirement with benefits! Wonderful management teams and employees!
easy to access
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 6, 2014
Pros: already worked in the child support enviroment
Cons: have some knowledge
The information was applied in a timely manner. All information that was given was posted right away.
Good place to work.
Counselor B-Probation Section 1 (Current Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 27, 2014
•Serve as a resource, community builder, mediator, crisis manager, mentor, and programmer for social and educational programs
•Conduct duty rounds and perform various administrative tasks
•Work with all male and co-educational populations
Nice starting career within government
Clerical Specialist B (Former Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 26, 2014
Must be computer literate
Able to run computer data bases
Excellent communication skills
It too was a productive work environment.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: i enjoyed working with volunteers to help need families.
Cons: too much butter and cheese had to be stored because of abundance.
I supervised the transportation, storage, and distribution of Shelby County's Commodity Program. I supervised about six employees and about 300 volunteers. I had to visit about 50 sites all over the city to make sure guidelines were being followed and food were being given to eligible recipients.
Good place to work.
Supervisor (Current Employee), Memphis, TNAugust 14, 2014
This is a fast paced work environment. There are many challenges working with adult offenders, but the overall work experience is useful moving forward in career opportunities. I was given the opportunity for advancement. Working in my current department is where I gained my knowledge in Human Resources. These experiences are what has given me the option of moving forward in the human resource field.
Nice place to work
Clerical Specialist C (Former Employee), Memphis, TNApril 1, 2014
Pros: working downtown, on the site cafeteria
Cons: parking
I liked working with Shelby County Government. It was a new and different working environment. I met new people and I love the location: Downtown.
If you want to be stuck the rest of your life go ahead!!
Register (Former Employee), MemphisMarch 8, 2014
Pros: some of the co workers
Cons: health insurance is sky high!!!
Registers office:
No room for advancement, they micro manage the place, the elected official doesn't care about his employees, and only moves people up if they are white, they don't go by the Shelby county employee handbook they have their own "handbook" the elected official is not social, only when election year is in course "fake" as can be, if they don't like you they'll find a way to make your life a living hell for you to resign..... WORSE place in Shelby county govt to work at!!!! You don't even get a 15 min brake like the rest of the offices, I could go on and on ......
Stable Position
Title Clerk (Former Employee), Memphis, TNFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: benefits, hours, location
Cons: pay
I did enjoy my job here, benefits were awesome, pay was not great. I did enjoy all my coworkers and supervisor.
provides stability
Jail Processing Specialist (Current Employee), Memphis, TNDecember 11, 2013
Working for Shelby County Government keeps you working at a fast pace and allows you to develop multitasking skills. It also grooms you for dealing with all types of people since you have to work with so many people from all walks of life. Overall Shelby County Goverment helps you to learn and grow as an individual you can learn a lot about yourself.
Example:
Economic Development Specialist (Former Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 20, 2013
Pros: shelby county government offered employee incentives, as well as volunteered for charitable organizations
Cons: due to the economy, securing a job was not easy. our department was out sourced to a private sector
The work environment was a plus. I enjoyed supporting my co-workers as well as taking on new projects.
Seasonal busy season from one department to the next; very inconsistent
Admin. Tech. (Current Employee), Shelby County, TNNovember 20, 2013
Pros: stability
Cons: high healthcare from day one 12 years ago; higher healthcare today
High pace at times with many interruption throughout the day by co-workers, subordinates, and and upper-management. Hard to complete one task due to unorganized organization. Hard to get Directors to give you an immediate response to anything. Good hours 8 am to 4:30 pm. Too much politics and hard to move up because no one retires plus you are not given an opportunity to cross trained for when someone does decide to retire. Organization ran by feelings and emotion and not true business savvy. Refuses to promote within.
excellent workplace
Clerical Specialist (Current Employee), Memphis, TNNovember 5, 2013
Pros: 1 hour lunch
Cons: rude customers
i enjoy coming to work everyday, very people friendly, comfortable atmosphere, likeable co-workers, godd management
Every day is a new day.
HR- Personnel Asst (Current Employee), Roads, Bridges and Engineering Department.October 14, 2013
Pros: love working with all of our craft employees
Cons: what was the decision on monday is not the same on tuesday.
Each Management positions involving our Department (Roads, Bridges and Engineering) has the mindset that Engineering is what we are all about. If it is not Engineering, it does not exist and is second place in day to day operations.

Lunch is the most enjoyable part of the day.
Fast pace enviroment where multi-tasking and customer service is of extreme importance.
Jail Processing Assistant (Current Employee), Memphis, TNOctober 9, 2013
Pros: paid time off, salary, and rotating off days.
Cons: no exiting of the building once your shift starts, no career advancement, and risk taking factors.
The typical day in a jail environment is very fast paced. There is a constant need for customer care, multi-line phone operations, data entry and staff support. The teamwork amongst coworkers is what continues to provide a pleasant work place that accurately processes the individual needs of each customer. The management is very helpful in most aspects. The hardest part of my current job is being able to see our society at its downfalls, and knowing that not everyone will be accepting to the help offered. I do however enjoy the different people that I have had the opportunity to meet and work with. I've learned that in every situation good or bad that professionalism is a key aspect to overcome.
Job Security No Longer Exists
Contract Administration Specialist (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJuly 28, 2013
Pros: training is available
Cons: high health insurance cost
Excellent co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is solving problems.

About SHELBY COUNTY GOVERNMENT

Shelby County Health Care Corporation, dba Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The MED), provides a variety of health care services – Read more