SHELBY COUNTY GOVERNMENT Employee Reviews

N/a
Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 5, 2017
Great place to work great hours, great pay, great time off to spend time with your family. It an overall great place to work and retire from good benafits
Good beginner job.
PreTrial Services/ Counselor B (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 3, 2017
I was employed as a grant funded employee. The mission was great but the pay wasn't. The environment was relaxed; but enriching at the same time. Great management.
Pros
management, experience
Cons
pay
This is a repeat
Corrections Counseling Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 22, 2017
I worked in numerous departments at Shelby County Division of Corrections so my review covers the entirety of my experience with them. It was a great place to work and if I ever relocated back to Memphis, I would love to return to the Counseling side of the Division!
Pros
Loved the hours
Cons
Shift work was bid upon based on seniority
Stressful and Poor Management
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 17, 2017
This is a very hateful type of place to work. They over work you and you get very little pay. You can't grow here because of so many haters and they don't care about the employee's. You'll defiantly regret working at this health dept. Thank me later!!
Pros
Getting off at 4:30
Cons
Can't be happy...no growth...working with devils...etc.
Great staff
Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 16, 2017
It is a great experience and it is a wonderful job to have. It does get hard at times but than is any job you work. You have wonderful people that work for then
it was ok
Clerical Specialist A (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 15, 2017
loved the job worked for 12 years there but the pay was poor . completed my bachelor degree but unable to advance . need a better job with more pay was just burned out
Low salary scale
Deputy Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 12, 2017
Very fast past, learn a great deal of court procedures. The insurance was extremely high and the pay scale was really low. The best benefits were closed for the holidays.
Unpleasant bias working environment
Intake Assessment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 12, 2017
Poor management, favoritism, low wages. The management in the agency where I was employed (ACMS) was poor, unfair, and unjust. Complaints against managers are swept under the rug. The working environment will be made unbearable for employees who report inner agency issues to HR.
Pros
Training opportunities on various social services topics
Cons
poor management, allowed harrasment, minimal salary with an overload of work requirements
Interesting field of work.
Principal Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 10, 2017
Overall, Criminal Court is a rewarding yet frustrating job. You control everything that takes place in the courtroom however you are not in control of your compensation. You are not paid for the amount of work you do.
No one was a stranger
Accountant B (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 3, 2017
A typical day on the job was encountering a variety of clients from all walks of life. The atmosphere was relaxed most of the time but during peak times, it could become hectic. Many of the clients encountered expressed opinions regarding how the smiles and the hellos made their day.
Pros
Work at your own pace
Cons
Breaks were few and far between
Its a great start for those fresh out of college and if you desire being a public servant.
Tennessee (Current Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 12, 2017
I love my job and position but my pay is not equal to the work that's required. I enjoy being a civil servant but with every cost of living raise we receive the medical insurance rates increases therefore leaving you stuck in a rut. Again, a great place to begin but not to remain your entire working career. A lot of nepotism goes on in the elected officials offices.
Pros
Benefits, holidays, paid time off and bonus days
Cons
Frequent insurance cost increase
Great Place to Serve
Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 5, 2017
Shelby County Government is a great place to work if your desire is to service. Working within Juvenile Court allows me to assist troubled juveniles and their families. Whether it is counseling or aiding in the assistance of acquiring additional social services, you are instrumental in helping those who are most in need.
Fast Pace
Principal Clerk/Court Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 5, 2017
Working here is a fast pace job. You can learn a lot working with the government. There really isn't a hard park as working here you just have to take plenty of notes and ask plenty questions. Once you get use to everything it becomes easier as it goes. You will enjoy just sitting in a court room listening to what goes in in certain court rooms as far a trial or court hearing.
Productive and fast paced
Tax Collector (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 28, 2017
The office I work in is always busy. We constantly assist other offices and individuals living in the County. It is mostly a steady pace and most everyone gets along with each other.
Very productive workplace very fast past
Counselor B (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 22, 2017
I like working for Shelby Co Government, I wish the pay was a little better but the overall work is not a problem the people that work there are very helpful when it comes to showing you how to do things and the trainings are always very hands on and you learn a lot
from the trainings I always enjoy the trainings.
Pros
the benefits, the experience
Cons
the pay
below
Clerical Specialisst (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 10, 2017
fast paced, Depends on which branch of Shelby County your with, Management changed their minds in mind stream, they don't get clear direction for the State of Tennessee, then you have to go back and redue what you have already done because of their unclear directions
Pros
environment good
Cons
misleading direction
Improvment Needed
Clerical Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 14, 2017
It's okay, not much room to advance. I've moved up since I've been here; however it was do to a change in departments. My current supervisor is a great Boss always showing concern for his employees.
Great place to work given the opportunity
Principal Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 5, 2017
Shelby County was a great place to work. I enjoyed working in the courtroom. Shelby County offers a variety of opportunities for a person to advance.
Pros
Opportunity for growth
Cons
Appointed positions
N/a
INTERN (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 16, 2017
Overall a great organization to work for. Staff consists of quality people that make each work day enjoyable. Excellent benefits package for full time employees.
Administration...
Chancery Court (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 15, 2017
I would say that the administration is the worst. They are uncaring, will say mean, and hateful things to you. I've been EXTREMELY BLESSED to have managers who have their subordinates backs; they are ANGELS!!
Pros
I get paid
Cons
Administration in my area, not paid fairly