Shelby County Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to make a difference in the lives of urban youth.
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 23, 2016
SCS is a great place to work if you like a challenge. The schools that you work in are usually in an urban setting, so the students require a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment. The company also believes in sending their teachers through a great deal of professional development so you will receive state-of-the art training both locally and in other states.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement and professional development
Cons
You must wear many hats.
Difficult, very stressful
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 19, 2015
None of our supervisors have ever had to work under the conditions they impose on us. Teachers are held responsible for student outcomes even when students come to the school dramatically below grade level. Administrators demonstrate their lack of understanding of the evaluation system for teachers repeatedly, yet are still allowed to evaluate. The evaluation system itself is supposed to be objective, yet when one particular administrator consistently scores everyone 1-2 levels below everyone else, no one will even address concerns that are raised. Advancement is based on who you know and who is your patron, rather than what you know and how much your existing subordinates enjoy working for you. The testing schedule takes students out of the classroom for as much as 5 weeks a year, yet teachers are expected to take students who are already dramatically below level and get them to pass the tests or risk punitive action. Raises are based on test outcomes on two days a year. Teachers risk punishment and termination and are held 100% responsible for test scores, when studies show that we only affect them at a 20-40% effect level.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
25 min lunches, no other breaks, constant demand for work off the clock
community oriented workplace where the employees genuinely care for the students they work with
Speech-Language Pathologist M.S. CCC-SLP (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work includes pulling students for direct therapy services and going into the self-contained classrooms to work with students with autism. My workload also consists of conducting IEP meetings, corresponding with parents on a regular basis, completing paperwork for billing, planning for therapy sessions, and completing diagnostics. My co-workers are very supportive and great to collaborate with concerning students with special needs. They are always willing to go above and beyond to help the students at our school.
Excellent company to work for. I really enjoyed working experience.
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 25, 2016
A typical day at work is a very busy day. I would check in students and dismiss students. I would schedule coverage for each class. I would maintain student records and medication information. I would administer medication to students. I would take incoming calls. I would make copies for teachers and administrators. Schedule interviews, prepare for parent/teacher conferences and faculty meeting.
Pros
I really enjoy working with the public.
Cons
Not getting paid in the summer.
Life with SCS
Labor Relations Advisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 24, 2015
A typical day at work involves resolving various employee related issues. Some issues are for employee support, others, may require additional investigative work, in accordance to local and state guidelines, such as EEO, harassment, etc.
Pros
Since I am employeed with a school system, it does provide benefits when I need to be away to tend to my young son's issues.
Cons
No travel, not a diverse climate, job advancement is limited, training is stagnant.
Transition period for an entire county so lots of auditing and asset managment
Instructional Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 21, 2016
I came into SCS in the mist of a huge turn over in leadership as well as organization. Multiple counties were joining in a unified district 3 times the size of the old scs district but the databases, and especially the auditing system was not up to the challenge. I was brought in to increase efficiency and manage the appropriate use of technical funds.
Pros
Self paced work enviroment
Cons
Long Hours
Produtive. Fun Work Place.
ESP- Educational Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 25, 2016
I Love My Job. I Enjoy working with my Special Needs Children. Its Rewarding. I have Great Co-workers. I like the Benefits they have to offer. Management here is great. The Hardest Part of the job is, I always worry about the life expectancy of each child. They are very special and have medical problems. But each day I Make sure I Hug them. I Love Them.
Pros
Leaning More about the children and Their needs.
Cons
Not enough hours
Very organized workplace in terms of benefits and pay
9th grade English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 7, 2016
A typical day at work is medium to hard depending on the lessons that are to be taught.

I learned how to teach based on TCAP skills.

My co-workers are usually involved with extra curricular activities.

The hardest part of the job is discipline, but most of the students are well-behaved.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making a difference in the lives of the students.
Great job for dedicated hard working people that hold themselves highly accountable
Supervisor Building Engineer (SBE)/ Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 8, 2016
Demanding high paced job that requires one to be dedicated 24hrs a day. Great chain of command with knowledge of the system. Very rewarding when incentives are met. The hardest part Is hearing various opinions and not being able to rectify all problems immediately.
Pros
Great coworkers, Pride, dedication and accountability of personel working
Cons
In having position up for outsourcing every year which offers no security for future
Training
Grounds Crew (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TNApril 3, 2015
A Typical day at work being when we meet with the supervisor, he then provides a detailed agenda for the team. Management at most time are not organized my co workers are season and everyday I learn new ways of how to do my job easier but safe. The hardest part of my job is to return back to work after you have had lunch. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see my season co workers able to leave SCS organization with there benefits and pension and no longer have to worry about job security.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No Job Security
Great experience if considering full time teaching career
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 15, 2016
Most of my work days were enjoyable. The most difficult part of the job was walking into classrooms were not enough work was given for the students. When I had to make or extend lessons, that was challenging -- especially when walking in that morning.

Sometimes the students' behavior was a challenge.
Training and helping children and families with their future
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 24, 2015
I worked with youth and their families to prepare of college, or train students to go into the workforce. I taught students the soft skills that would lead them to start a career in the field of their choice. I trained students what to expect when entering into college. I made sure that my actions were within compliance with the government guidelines of the program.

The hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job was watching my students graduate and leave the program. I would miss them, but I know with my help they were miles ahead of the peers and ready for their next step in life.
Pros
Job Flexibility, and control.
Cons
Grant funded.
A typical day would be supporting families and children to better meet the educational needs for the child
Engagement Specialist - Project Management (Former Employee) –  MEMPHIS TNSeptember 24, 2015
I truly adored this job! However, I was always pulled away by management to do other tasks that were not related simply because I was housed in the school, though I worked for another division!
Pros
HELPING TO IMPROVE THE LIVES OF STUDENTS AND FAMILIES
Cons
WORKING FOR A SPECIFIC DIVISON TO SUPPORT FAMILIES, AND HOUSED UNDER A MANAGER THAT CARED LESS, BUT MORE ABOUT HIS IMAGE AND HIS PRODUCTIVITY
Daily Work Duties
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 17, 2016
I demonstrate attention to detail and very result oriented. On a daily basis, I manage difficult customers and I respond to the customer needs. I follow policies and encourage others to do the same. I work with integrity and ethically uphold workplace values. I am very thorough and accurate when it comes to assignments and deadlines.
The overall job would be great if you had more people to work.
General Office Secretary (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 23, 2016
My day at work is very busy not enough help in the office but the job gets done. Great customer services skills is a must where I was located. I loved what I did
Pros
Days off with my kids
Cons
At times no breaks
Working for kids
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 12, 2016
Great if you love working with children
Enjoyed working with experienced teachers
Fun atmosphere
Need to use more employee feedback to change conditions that negatively affect the livelihood of some employees
Benefits
great place and caring people
Cafeteria Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 4, 2016
great place. Supervisor and Administration cared. great benefits, salary. employees happy. chances for promotion. fairness, values. very enjoyable to work for and very employee friendly.
benefits
Cons
off in the summer
focused paraprofessional
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 2, 2016
Paraprofessional versed in motivating students to achieve and exceed their academic and personal goals. Offering a strong educational background and facilitating more than 5 years of experience,
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of children
Cons
The pay is severly underatted
Educator
Educator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 22, 2016
Shelby County schools is a okay place to work. It is very political as with any district. I think in the end it just depends on the school you're at ultimately. I just wish the benefits were better and the people at the board supported us more.
No longer a stable and dependable place to work
Teacher Assistant/Special Ed (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 1, 2016
The Shelby County School System is not at all structured and does not have priorities in place for employers as well as for students.
Pros
students
Cons
Health Insurance and salaries