Shelby County Schools Employee Reviews

great
Nutrition Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 28, 2017
Wonderful company and very enjoyable to work and Management is very understanding! Shelby county schools is a world class company! This establishment is a very culture place! Job Advancement and job security is excellent!
Education
Speech Language Therapist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 16, 2017
SCS provided numerous opportunities for professional development, mentoring at every grade level and in all departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing students progress academically and become examples for others to follow.
It was beyond stressful.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 16, 2017
As my first experience as a pre-k teachers with SCS it was not a pleasant experience. I feel as if I was thrown into a bad situation but I tried to make this best of it.
Somewhat productive workplace.
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 16, 2017
I have been working with this organization for the past 15 years and there are many pros and cons. However, I am looking for advancement and a fresh start. I truly believe that my full worth, visions and potential will not be honored at this place of employment.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Compensation (Salaries) & Healthcare cost.
This job is challenging but the administration is very supportive
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYMay 10, 2017
I love this job because it is flexible scheduling and variation in job duties. The staff at each job site is extremely helpful and responsive to the needs of the teacher.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, good facilities
Cons
They can ask you to cover a class during your free period.
High Demand, Not for the Weak or Weary
Mathematics Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 6, 2017
High pace educational environment, high standards and zero tolerance for the incompetent. The only drawback is that there is not stability in the curriculum and the resources are outdated.
Pros
Making a difference, Career Advancements
Cons
Poor benefits
Large school district with lots of students. Very challenging
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 5, 2017
I have enjoyed my time here. I have an outstanding and challenging caseload of students who keep me professionally 'on my toes'. i have an exceptional group of teachers, administrators, and supervisors who encourage me and enlighten me.

I love my job at White Station High School and Avon Lenox High School.
Freedom to drive
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 3, 2017
I did enjoy driving around. The kids were good for the most part. They did want to add more and more work on to you like doing double routes which was hard with all the kids.
You become a teacher because of your love for children.
Educational Teacher Leader/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 2, 2017
Hi paced work environment. eachers create lesson plans and teach those plans to the entire class, individually to students or in small groups, track student progress and present the information to parents, create tests, create and reinforce classroom rules, work with school administration prepare students for standardized tests.
Great place to grow professional
Director of Education/ Inaugural Principal (Current Employee) –  Hope AcademyMay 1, 2017
My job essential functions involves building and nurturing relationships, working with dynamic individuals. Helping young people by molding and shaping their minds, to become productive citizens of society. help people them to success.

I enjoy when teens graduate from High School , and go on to College or Career. In the current line of work I'm in I guess the hardest part is to see the teens recidivate.
Pros
To be recognize by your peers for a great job, and when teens say something as simple as "thank you"
Cons
Wish their was more time in the day to engage youngsters.
A district that needs motivating...
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 1, 2017
I've only been working here for 7 months. During this time I have noticed numerous accounts of "I don't care/its not my job" attitude. People complain about management, but are unwilling to do anything to promote change. As a result, the children suffer. The program I work for would be beneficial to the students if employees actually do their job, not cuss at the children, and want to make a real difference in these children's lives.
Pros
Flexible schedule.
Cons
Great risks of bodily harm in the program I work in and this was not disclosed during the interview
I loved working with children
Bus Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 29, 2017
Great job, but it was not my dream job. I learned patience and compassion. Co workers were great to work with. The hardest part was getting close to the children and them having to move on to another school the next year. I always missed them but was happy for them.
Pros
Worked with good, smart children
Cons
Got too attached to the children
Stressful
ELOP Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 24, 2017
This job stressful. We received no benefits and no raises.
Though the children brought joy us so much joy, the behind the scene is what caused the stressful days.
My normal work day
Special Ed. Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 24, 2017
My typical day at work, is fun and I learn something different each day . I enjoy my co-workers .I always wear a smile so I can receive one back, that's my moto that give the students.There are days when it's rough,but I get though it.I love my position,love working with the special need students,The hardest part of my job is when I can't reach a child when he/she are have a issue that we together can't accomplish.
Pros
relaxing, selfcontain
Cons
sometimes it can get stressful and time consuming
Overall good employer
Mobile Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 12, 2017
Work with youths on a daily. I mentor children. I assist with making sure the security operations are in place. I have to work with other staff to ensure this is accomplished.
great workplace
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 12, 2017
I really enjoyed my time at SCS I worked in so many different areas and schools I was a floater nurse therefore it gave me the ability to learn more and do more with the students i was respoonsible for
productive work place with poor supervisors skills
LEAD PRODUCTION ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 11, 2017
a typical day at work is very exciting...I get to teach people something they didn't know...I enjoy getting the meals out on a daily...I enjoy my entire staff..the downfall about this job is that we never have everything we need to get production out in a timely manner
Pros
free lunchand great benefits
Cons
short breaks and no dehydration station
A fairly stable company
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 11, 2017
A good principal equals a good experience. A bad principal equals a bad experience. Some leaders are flexible and willing to adjust while others are power hungry, tyrannical, and rigid.
Pros
Holidays and weekends off
Cons
An abundance of poor leaders
Fun at times, takes a lot of getting used to
Social Studies Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 11, 2017
You definitely have to have a passion for teaching when it comes to being a teacher. Now, the job as a whole is not difficult, it's just time consuming.
Pros
Set your own workload; summers and most holidays off
Cons
Stressful, meticulous and repetitive responsibilities outside of the classroom
Productive Organization
Substitute Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 5, 2017
Always rewarding having an opportunity of working with children.

Support Special Education Teachers and Assistants on day-to-day classroom/curriculum needs with children across the district.

• Help prepare the day by welcoming children in the morning.
• Prep morning for learning activities.
• Support children in various roles based on needs in order to make their day a positive learning experience.
• Provide feedback to staff and parents to help with children growth.
Pros
Schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shelby County Schools. Our community is ready to answer.