Sheldon Independent School District Employee Reviews

great place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2015
Maintain a level of fair discipline in the classroom, which is conducive to exceptional learning. Assume same responsibilities as regular classroom teacher for students, equipment and other materials.
It was a new challenge and a great experience
Lead Receptionist (Former Employee) –  8540 C E King Pkwy, Houston, TX 77044April 23, 2015
I worked as the front office receptionist at the high school at Sheldon ISD. It was very busy office. I signed parents, administrators,visitors and students through our raptor system. I issued tardies to late arrival student through our tardy system.I answered and transferred calls. l earned to multitask and to use my time wisely. I trained new hired receptionist the procedures, rules and the expectations of the job.I had a good relationship with my co-workers. I was available as much as possible to help them with registration,file,fax,copy student records, make appointments,translate,etc.The hardest part of my job was to handle unhappy parents but with a smile and a friendly reminder that I was there to help in a any posable way always helped the situation. The part that I enjoyed the most was to know that I was able to help a parent,student, staff member and visitors that took the time to visit our school.
I would not recommend this school district at ALL
teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TxDecember 16, 2014
I used to work for Shelson ISD/Carroll Elementary. When I was hired this year, I was told that last year, 35 teachers had quit. That immediately raised a red flag for me. From the get go, I noticed that there was very little support or help from the admin. This was my very first year as a teacher. I thought that I would have some help. It was bascially figure it out for yourself. The 2 assistant. principals had conflicting views on many things. Several times, I would have one assistant. principal tell me one thing to do regarding one topic, and not even 2 weeks later, I would have the other assistant. prin to do the opposite. It is like you are set up to fail! I was also told by the principal to be more strict. When I was more strict, I was told I was too harsh. The views are very conflicting. Different people in power tell you advice, then you get in trouble for taking that advice. I would not recomend this school district at all to anyone. Since leaving, I remain in contact with many of the teachers I worked with, and most of them tell me they are going to look for another school district ,
This school district is very stressul to work for. Many of the students come from poverty stricken homes. It's in a bad area. I would set up many parent conferences with the parents, due to behavior problems and the parents wouldnt show up or even call. I would send home daily folders and some of the info. I had sent out on day ONE was still in their folders 2 months later. The time is another thing. The students only get 5 mins. of recess. I have never heard of that before. There were
  more... plenty of days the sun was shining ,and we were not allowed to give the students recess. I never understood that. There is also no budget given to buy anything. Since alot of the students were in poverty, they did not bring anything on the first day. No materials. The school did not provide extra. So being the teacher, I had to go out and spend my own money for those students so they had their materials.  less
Pros
off the beltway
Cons
too stressful, inconsistency, no help from admin, high turnover rate
Inconsistent
Teacher (Current Employee) –  HM CarrollApril 29, 2014
I work for Shelson ISD/Carroll Elementary. Every year for the past 3 years, many teachers leave. There is a lot of inconsistency with what you can and cannot do. I notice that if you are friends with some of the administrators, you can get away with things; it just depends. There is not support for the teachers disciplining the students with disruptive behavior. It's like walking on egg shells bc if you tell the student to stop and or raise your voice, and the child feels you were being mean, then the teacher gets in trouble. It also seems that one AP runs the school and not the principal. This year we did not have a Book Parade, Multicultural Event, Orange You Glad Testing is Over "luncheon" and other events we had in the previous years. The schedules are not realistic...Example: you have recess from 11:30-11:40...AND...you should start math at 11:40 am. The schedule doesn't allow you to take the children to the restroom and get water. Everything is back to back with no minutes in between. A have heard many (not all) teachers and aides express their desire to leave to another school. This says a lot about the school.
Pros
near humble and kingwood/ beltway 8
Great Place to work
Sub-Custodian (Current Employee) –  Any Campus neededFebruary 23, 2014
Very kind staff and management, great environment to work in. I work as a sub-custodian, so my only concern is I wish to work full time
My first professional job
Special Education Teacher-LIFE Skills Severe (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2012
My first professional job was extremely challanging because the district let the special education program get really out of compliance. Once it was cleaned up, they continued to make it more challanging by moving the special education program from one campus to another every year. This tripled the work load of the special education teacher. Hopefully for the students there now, the program is more stablized.
Pros
one of the highest paying districts in the state, great benefits
Cons
lots of turn-over of teachers and administrators
Fifth Graders, I found out how really smart they are and can be.
Bilingual Teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 29, 2012
My day included working with 5th grade students teaching them English and Spanish Reading. I taught Social Studies as well. My students beamed from the work they created and the skills they discovered. The management team was always there to watch the work performed by both Teacher and student.

The hardest part of the job was losing a student to death. He was ill only 2 weeks and passed away. This was very difficult for all involved, especially the family. However, I did become close friends with the family. I learned many valuable lessons at Sheldon, but the most enjoyable one was working with ten year old students. They are exciting, beaming, and always ready to see what they can accomplish.
Pros
school has always been fun for me.
Cons
the year ended early for me.
Working with small children...LOVED IT!
Science & Mathematics Teacher - Fifth Grade (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 26, 2012
Being an Educator is so rewarding, when you have those kids that really "get it" at the end of the day...you can sit back, smile and say all of that hard work you put in wasn't in vain!