Sheldon Independent School District

Sheldon Independent School District Employer Reviews

Inconsistent
Teacher (Current Employee), HM CarrollApril 29, 2014
Pros: near humble and kingwood/ beltway 8
I work for Shelson ISD/Carroll Elementary. Every year for the past 3 years, many teachers leave. There is a lot of inconsistency with what you can and cannot do. I notice that if you are friends with some of the administrators, you can get away with things; it just depends. There is not support for the teachers disciplining the students with disruptive behavior. It's like walking on egg shells bc if you tell the student to stop and or raise your voice, and the child feels you were being mean, then the teacher gets in trouble. It also seems that one AP runs the school and not the principal. This year we did not have a Book Parade, Multicultural Event, Orange You Glad Testing is Over "luncheon" and other events we had in the previous years. The schedules are not realistic...Example: you have recess from 11:30-11:40...AND...you should start math at 11:40 am. The schedule doesn't allow you to take the children to the restroom and get water. Everything is back to back with no minutes in between. A have heard many (not all) teachers and aides express their desire to leave to another school. This says a lot about the school.
Great Place to work
Sub-Custodian (Current Employee), Any Campus neededFebruary 23, 2014
Very kind staff and management, great environment to work in. I work as a sub-custodian, so my only concern is I wish to work full time
My first professional job
Special Education Teacher-LIFE Skills Severe (Former Employee), Houston, TXOctober 22, 2012
Pros: one of the highest paying districts in the state, great benefits
Cons: lots of turn-over of teachers and administrators
My first professional job was extremely challanging because the district let the special education program get really out of compliance. Once it was cleaned up, they continued to make it more challanging by moving the special education program from one campus to another every year. This tripled the work load of the special education teacher. Hopefully for the students there now, the program is more stablized.
Fifth Graders, I found out how really smart they are and can be.
Bilingual Teacher (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 29, 2012
Pros: school has always been fun for me.
Cons: the year ended early for me.
My day included working with 5th grade students teaching them English and Spanish Reading. I taught Social Studies as well. My students beamed from the work they created and the skills they discovered. The management team was always there to watch the work performed by both Teacher and student.

The hardest part of the job was losing a student to death. He was ill only 2 weeks and passed away. This was very difficult for all involved, especially the family. However, I did become close friends with the family. I learned many valuable lessons at Sheldon, but the most enjoyable one was working with ten year old students. They are exciting, beaming, and always ready to see what they can accomplish.
Working with small children...LOVED IT!
Science & Mathematics Teacher - Fifth Grade (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 26, 2012
Being an Educator is so rewarding, when you have those kids that really "get it" at the end of the day...you can sit back, smile and say all of that hard work you put in wasn't in vain!