Shell Island Resort Employee Reviews

Don't work there
Maintenance Supervisor/HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Wrightsville Beach, NCAugust 26, 2017
CEO changes all the time and no one follows the handbook. Breaks laws constantly. No one is happy there in their jobs. Will fire you if you upset the companies general managers family for no good reason.
Great company to work for
Controller/Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Wrightsville Beach, NCAugust 22, 2017
I enjoyed my time at Shell Island Resort. I worked there when it first opened and until I had my first child. Everyone was easy to work with and very supportive.
it was good
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCAugust 7, 2017
i loved working there at shell island. i love the customers. the weddings, the summer everything. I also loved the co workers i had the chance to work with
Nice place to work
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Wrightsville Beach, NCJuly 8, 2017
Great place to work, super nice employers. Bartending doesn't make what I expected compared to other bartending jobs I have had, however, some days are good and salary is not the usual $2.13 per hour it is $7.00 plus tips.
Pros
very flexable work schedule
Cons
not enough pay, hours
Everything is micromanaged.
Housekeeping Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 25, 2017
In the beginning, the resort was fine to work for. After I got into management, i found out that there was a board that micromanaged every little thing. Although I do not know all the ins and outs of what goes on in the board, i do know that they go thru a GM about every other year. The gossip trickles all the way down to the bottom employee about everything from whos bickering in the board, and why we werent going to receive any raises.
A great deal of stress with cheap pay. Good people to work with except for assitant manager.
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 28, 2017
Great front desk staff, if it paid significantly more it would be worth staying because of the fun environment of the staff. Housekeeping is shaping up, everywhere else needs major work.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, lot of stressful situations.
Awesome Summer Job
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Wrightsville Beach, NCNovember 5, 2016
Best job i ever had. perfect for college kids to earn some extra money during the summers. fun upbeat and exciting place to work.
Customer Service
GUEST SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Wrightsville Beach, NcJanuary 4, 2015
Fun working for customer service but not as much fun working with management and all the individual owners that own the units.
Beautiful location
Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Wrightsville Beach, NCApril 7, 2014
A little more complex than your average customer service job. Not only do you have to make sure the customers are happy but also there are owners of the condos to contend with. Sometimes pleasing one group upsets the other.
During the slow season I did end up working in just about every department involved in running a hotel. Which taught me that if you want to run a successful hotel all of the departments need to function as a whole and not separate groups that scapegoat each other if a problem arises.
When I was there several management companies were contracted to run the hotel. Some were better than others, but none could run the hotel how it needed to be run and keep the HOA happy. Now I think the HOA is in control and I'm sure the group they are most interested in keeping happy are themselves and the customer comes second.
The hardest thing about when I worked there was never being able to make a career out of it because the management was turned over too often.
And the most enjoyable part of the job was making someone's day when I could help make their stay better.