Shell Point Retirement Community Employee Reviews

Not an enjoyable experience
Non management (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 14, 2017
Workload is ridiculous. Staff is anything but helpful, quick to throw a fellow employee under the bus. No teamwork. Management doesn't follow through. No help to new employees.
Pros
Cheap lunch
Cons
Stress to the max
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 23, 2017
I work on the hospice unit with a great team of nurses and a doctor. Our typical work day can be very busy at times with admissions. But we all work together to provide our patients and their families the support they need during this hard time.
Pros
Teamwork
Not quite "emerald city"
Non-management (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 18, 2017
Incredibile amount of negativity from management;

employees that do not carry out their job expectations not held accountable for their (lack of) performance.

Poorly managed memory care unit; complete disaster.

Changing conditions of employment (schedule which was agreed upon at hire),

expecting non-management positions to carry out management responsibilities (without additional compensation).
Pros
Most of the Residents
Cons
middle "management"
Great place to work until they eliminate your position
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 29, 2017
When I started at Shell Point I really believed that it was a great place to work. But after almost a year my opinion has completely changed. As leadership has changed within the company, the values seem to have changed. I was let go due to them eliminating my position because they couldn't find enough for me to do, which is completely untrue. I was forced out because I was not best buddies with management and those that are very friendly with management (hanging out together outside of work) get promoted. It's sad that a company that is supposed to be focused on God and His people is instead more interested in playing favorites.
Very great people to work with awesome owners.
Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sanibel, FLNovember 10, 2016
Awesome place always helped me when I had a question about something. Always understanding of when or why I couldn't make it to work.
See Resume
Dining Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 4, 2016
Great place to work but not much of a salary for what is expected of you. Many work hours and not much help from upper management. Residents were great and they loved me and are still asking about me. I increased sales by 30% in the 6 years I was there.
Love this job!
PRN Resident Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sanibel, FLMay 24, 2016
Working at shell point has definitely been an eye opening experience. You are taking care of people who will turn around and take care of you as well. The staff is amazing and so welcoming. My trainer molded me into an employee that every resident looks forward to seeing.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
30 min breaks for 8 hour shiifts
Assisted Living
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 11, 2016
Assisted Living Facility with the opportunity to see disease processes and exacerbation of symptoms.Along with autonomy to provide care to a geriatric population. Time management and critical thinking are important. Assessment skills are critical - knowledge of physiology along with disease processes are top priorities. You are the eyes and ears for the doctors and nurse practitioners and they trust your insight, knowledge and understanding of disease processes.

Critical to understand medications and side effects along with other medications that may interfere with the expected outcome. Again, the Nurse Practitioners and doctors are open to medication changes - but you must know what you are talking about and be able to support your case.
good
Kitchen Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 10, 2016
it was a good place to work had a great experience working with them, understood my school responsibilities, and worked around my school schedule
Long Term Employment
Dining Room Supervisor ALF (Former Employee) –  Ft. Myers, FLApril 6, 2016
Shell Point Retirement Comm. Is a multi level health care. . As a dinning room supervisor ALF you meet wonderful people making sure they are fed and dietary requirements are met and keep them entertained. The average age 86yrs 150 residents. The Servers are either high school graduates or older gals. The Kitchen staff is wonderful big family 1.15 lunch break Management is on hand when needed. Open 7 days a week, holidays are a must. No OT for holidays. Christmas Cash bonus from residents average $500. Nice
Pros
Rewarding job, annual pay raises .20 cents, per year rollover PTO
Cons
Long shifts 10am -8pm Low hourly pay rate
very fast pace great benefit
Hospitality Care Assistant / Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 21, 2016
loved the benefits and the schedule. not enough staff members too much work on one person also would make you do things that are not in your chores
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks too much work for one person
Housekeeping
Housekeeping Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort myersOctober 13, 2015
The pay is very low, they do offer benefits but for the rate of pay its almost not even worth it.They will not work with you on light duty if you are ever injured.
Housekeeping former employee
housekeeper (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 3, 2015
Had a great experience working with all the ladies as well as the residents.The cleaning staff works extremely hard there and I feel are very overburdened with work. Some of the management was very petty about situations And reprimanding is very swift on their part. The uniforms are long pants and jackets which are hot and uncomfortable certainly not suitable for Florida weather.it doesn't get any better because a lot of the residents live without their AC on or turned up very high so you boil in your uniform. The vacuums are heavy Commercial vacuums that are not meant for women to push around all day long. Pushing your heavy cart around with supplies and vacuum cleaner rain or shine you have to get to your residents no excuses. If you do not complete your tasks for the day you will definitely hear about it given a couple of chances and then you're out. What I recommend anyone to work here? Probably not I guess it would depend on the type of job you are looking for. .........
Pros
Great employees fun to work with
Cons
Hot uniforms heavy equipment too much work for the money
Good place to work and interact with residents
Tech Support Services (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 26, 2015
Work was good and was varied in what you did on any given job from assisting with products to repair of our facilities. Also on 24 hr. call for outages that effect residents safety
Excellent environment working with the elderly, their families, assisting the residents in medical, financial life care process.
Case manager/Social Worker/ Life Care coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 24, 2015
Each day presented a new challenge. It is a fulfilling experience to assist the elderly in all aspects of their life.
The families of the residents showed great concern for the residents
welfare, happiness, and satisfaction.
As a social worker, case manager it was my duty, a chosen one, to be family to those without.
I worked also with the low vision group of residents, providing field trips, meetings and guest speakers whom educated and presented new technology.
The hardest part of the job was witnessing those who became totally incapacitated through injury, aging, dementia, depression, inactivity, and death.
Pros
Talking with the residents, assessing their needs, their happiness.
Cons
The tragedy which they have experienced in life.
Not a very good experience for me
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 30, 2014
I worked as a housekeeper and the residents were all amazing. The management there wasn't very good and they treat their employees like they are the lowest of the low. Like I said, the residents there were awesome. My co-workers were all great as well. We all pitched in when we needed to in order to get the job done.
Life is Beautiful
Rehab Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 8, 2014
Working with elderly is a blessing in a way. Shell Point is a great community for people who are in constant need for care. Shell Point residents enjoy there stay and are well taken care of by the nursing and CNA staff.

During my time working at the Shell Point retirement community, I have learned that it is important to take care of my self and be well. At times it is painful to see residents of shell Point because they are in pain and there is nothing no one can do but watch them suffer. It is heart breaking to see 90 year old patient who can barely walk and they have to wheel oxygen tank with them because they chose to smoke for 30 + years.

I have learned that is extremely important to eat healthy and exercise daily to keep good health for the better. I feel that as one gets older health issues will rise but at least It is better to keep it to minim. Overall it has been great experience to be a part of the team at shell Point to help elders!
Pros
Cafeteria has good lunch deals
Good and Bad
Housekeeping Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLNovember 21, 2013
Shell Point is a nice place to work but the management is not so nice. a typical day at work can be like fishing. Some of my co-workers are very nice some are not so friendly. The hardest part of my job is cleaning the toilet. The most enjoyable part of my job is waxing the floors.
Pros
I like the Lunch part.
Cons
I enjoy the short break .
good quality of life for a retirement community
security officer (Former Employee) –  fort myers flOctober 11, 2013
check in cars at front gate. make patrols of property.
I learned how to deal with the public.
management did well for their employees
I had good co-workers
the hardest part of the job was dealing with some of the residents.
the most enjoyable part of the job was some of the programs put on
for the residents.

Great Residents
Facility Plumber (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMay 16, 2013
Duties included preventive maintenance as well as emergency repair of all mechanical, commercial, multi family, and single family units.

Coworkers worked independent but when needed worked as a team to accomplish any given task.

Most of the Management is severely critical and at times very cynical of employees. There policy and procedures are implemented with a bias and malice approach.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with management.

The greatest reward working at Shell Point is the overwhelming appreciation you receive from the residents who you come in contact with on a daily basis.
Pros
Great location, discounted lunches at the employee cafeteria. Great Christmas bonuses provided by the residents.
Cons
Human Resource

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell Point Retirement Community. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8