Shell Point Retirement Community Employee Reviews

Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 26, 2017
The patients at this facility were amazing. I was pleased to work with the team in the rehab department. The gym was very nice. The atmosphere at Shell point was pleasing. Great experience.
Pros
Lunch on site, Point of Service
Cons
Interdisciplinary miscommunication
Question the job description for HCA at ALF
Hospitality Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 6, 2017
For the HCA position, everything posted is accurate. I am a pretty positive person and hard worker; however, the job environment is negative. The negativity spawns from being constantly short staffed. I am talking 4 staff members for 4 floors at 33 rooms per floor. 30% of the residents should be in a SNF facility and require more patient care, but live in an ALF facility. This equals poor patient quality of care. Poor training given if there is an actual emergency.
I have worked everywhere from a care assistant to a manager position at other retirement/ healthcare facilities. I have never heard of a housekeeper, dietary aide, and nurses aide position wrapped into one position. This is the reality of the HCA position.
I expected a lot more from one of the largest retirement communities in FL. They would keep their employees if they strived to make their employees happy by paying them what they deserved. I would love to see the cost savings if they paid employees a couple dollars more than the cost of turnover. Also, never have I heard of employee turnover being impacted in the employee bonus structure either... isn't this management's job? To keep employees?
It's a shame there is such opportunity for it to be a good working environment; however, you can't claim to be one of the premier facilities in FL while you pay employees the bare minimum to work multiple positions. Clearly this method is not working. The fact HR does not address any of the negative reviews should answer many questions.

Long story short- Loved the residents and my co-workers, but seriously if you
  more... are looking for a care aide position... look somewhere else. If you're looking for work, you could get paid more elsewhere and actually love working with the elderly. If you're looking for PA or nursing school hours, you spend the majority of your time doing housekeeping deep clean duties or in the kitchen. Again, it's a waste of time if you actually want valuable care experience.  less
Pros
Some of the residents, most coworkers
Cons
Poor pay creates a negative environment, inaccurate job description, no time for residents
Fast paced, enjoyable, and rewarding place to work at.
Purchasing / Project Management (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 27, 2017
All-around great place to work at, working with friendly and professional colleagues and wonderful residents. Shell Point has an employee cafeteria and serves delicious food at a very low price. Bonus - you work on an island!
I love the residents, hate the management
Hospitality Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 23, 2017
Usually when you visit a site like this you have to take the negative reviews with a grain of salt as they are most likely from disgruntled formal employees. However, all of these negative reviews are SPOT ON. Residents are absolutely amazing and make working here worth it. Company in general is very generous with bonuses and Paid Time Off. Many coworkers are incredible, caring human beings who just want to make a difference. That being said, management is atrocious, workload is more often than not unbearable, and the pay is disgusting for what you are expected to do. More often than not you are short-staffed and still expected to do the same work you would do if you were fully staffed. Management truly does not care about its employees. You can tell them about a potentially unsafe situation but they could care less if anyone gets hurt as long as they don't have to leave their offices or it doesn't affect them. Very sad situation as this is considered to be a christian missionary non-profit organization. They are all about appearances here. Most of their staff is living below the poverty line and breaking their bodies working for them, but rather than pay them what they deserve they'll just plant some more palm trees and build a big clubhouse that no one uses. Nothing will ever change here.
Pros
residents, coworkers, bonuses, Pto
Cons
management, pay, workplace atmosphere, staffing
A good place to work.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 21, 2017
Start by getting your work orders, make appointments with residents as per what they want done and see if it is possible. most enjoyable is discount enjoyable lunch.
Pros
Communate with residents.
Cons
potential that won't be reached
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ft. Myers, FLAugust 31, 2017
fitness coordinators teach up to 18 classes a week, do personal training, clean equipment in several gyms or other areas at Shell Point, record attendance in all classes, help residents with what ever they need, make presentations during the year, teach workshops, do orientations on equipment, and more. Quotas and daily travel to multiple locations are required for instructors and personal trainers. Restrictions for employees abound and Management is not often advocating for employees. No overtime is allowed.
Pros
helping residents stay fit
Cons
rare breaks, short unpaid lunch time, uniform shirt uncomfortable
The company itself is wonderful and they treat the residents well, but it's a different story for the workers.
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 28, 2017
Shell point takes more pride in the residents not caring about shortness of staff. Workers tend to only take one break a day instead of 2 or 3 like they should. The amount of work that is wanted done for the pay doesn't equal out. It's unfair and just isn't right now cheap shell point is when it comes to paying employees.
New management with disconnected leadership
Resident Hospitality Manager ALF (Former Employee) –  ALFJuly 27, 2017
Working for the benefit of the elderly was a great reward and daily comfort.
The workplace culture has changed from resident/employee satisfaction to one of greed and monetary projection.
HR and Operations are not segregated and confusion envelopes who is truly running operations of day to day issues and concerns.
Pros
Benefits were acceptible for Full Time employees
Cons
Bad management
good place to work at..
Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 18, 2017
good place to work for...But the money is not the best....i took this job because i needed one at the time and i'm still there after 7yrs...but i just can't make it money wise and i'm loooking to better myself for my furture...
Residents are wonderful and keep you at the job
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 20, 2017
Still currently work here. The residents are fantastic, management is awful. I work as a care assistant, but hardly have any time with the residents. All day you are required to do cooking and cleaning and other menial tasks, so the residents are lacking the appropriate care that they deserve and pay for. The past 2 RN managers have quit without notice (totally not a surprise) because of the workload. Employees bust their butts and are not appreciated by the management, plus the pay is god awful for the amount of work we do. There is no promotions you can receive here; if you started 1 week ago or 10 years ago, you're in the same position getting paid almost the same amount.
Pros
Wonderful residents, most employees are friendly and get along great
Cons
Pay, management, workload
Pay 9.19 for Overnight Care Giving?!
Care giver assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 7, 2017
They want people to work for them as care givers but because they are not certified pay them scraps. "Some duties will include providing assistance with daily living, including cleaning the resident's rooms. The ability to work well with the elderly is required and related caregiver experience is preferred." Actual excerpt from their job description that is a care giver for your information. They are taking advantage of people in need of a job and endangering their residents to save a buck.
workplace culture is depressing
LPN Floor Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJune 1, 2017
I don't know why all the employees hate their jobs here, but they do. All you hear is whining and complaining about management all day and night long, all floors of the Pavilion, doesn't matter which shift it is. The hardest part of the job is trying to remain positive in such a negative environment.
Pros
discounted lunches during day shift
Cons
low pay, negative environment
Not an enjoyable experience
Non management (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLApril 14, 2017
Workload is ridiculous. Staff is anything but helpful, quick to throw a fellow employee under the bus. No teamwork. Management doesn't follow through. No help to new employees.
Pros
Cheap lunch
Cons
Stress to the max
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 23, 2017
I work on the hospice unit with a great team of nurses and a doctor. Our typical work day can be very busy at times with admissions. But we all work together to provide our patients and their families the support they need during this hard time.
Pros
Teamwork
Not quite "emerald city"
Non-management (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLMarch 18, 2017
Incredibile amount of negativity from management;

employees that do not carry out their job expectations not held accountable for their (lack of) performance.

Poorly managed memory care unit; complete disaster.

Changing conditions of employment (schedule which was agreed upon at hire),

expecting non-management positions to carry out management responsibilities (without additional compensation).
Pros
Most of the Residents
Cons
middle "management"
Great place to work until they eliminate your position
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 29, 2017
When I started at Shell Point I really believed that it was a great place to work. But after almost a year my opinion has completely changed. As leadership has changed within the company, the values seem to have changed. I was let go due to them eliminating my position because they couldn't find enough for me to do, which is completely untrue. I was forced out because I was not best buddies with management and those that are very friendly with management (hanging out together outside of work) get promoted. It's sad that a company that is supposed to be focused on God and His people is instead more interested in playing favorites.
Very great people to work with awesome owners.
Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sanibel, FLNovember 10, 2016
Awesome place always helped me when I had a question about something. Always understanding of when or why I couldn't make it to work.
Residents are awesome. Some employees are not
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLOctober 18, 2016
I loved working with the residents. My schedule was very flexible. The only problem is the back stabbing that goes on between employees and managers. Other then that very nice
Pros
Free lunch for servers
Cons
Managment
See Resume
Dining Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJuly 4, 2016
Great place to work but not much of a salary for what is expected of you. Many work hours and not much help from upper management. Residents were great and they loved me and are still asking about me. I increased sales by 30% in the 6 years I was there.
Love this job!
PRN Resident Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sanibel, FLMay 24, 2016
Working at shell point has definitely been an eye opening experience. You are taking care of people who will turn around and take care of you as well. The staff is amazing and so welcoming. My trainer molded me into an employee that every resident looks forward to seeing.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
30 min breaks for 8 hour shiifts