Shell Employee Reviews for Cashier

Management is a joke
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNJanuary 14, 2018
Management is a joke. I had another job I was working at before I started working at Shell and they knew this. I quit my other job because I was promised a consistent position and they LAID ME OFF due to lack of hours. I did 3rd shift, which sales tripled when I started working there, this came from the manager himself. They cut out 3rd shift because it was "too cold". What kind of joke is that? Who closes down the only gas station in town that is right next to a bar, to which was how the got so much business on 3rds, just because of the weather? I am the only one that had to deal with the weather on 3rds so how does it even concern the manager/owner??? There were 4 workers there total and since 3rd shift was closing, the manager said that we would basically have to fight for our position, which I already knew that meant I would be the one being fired due to family members working there and "favorites".
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
Everything about this place is a con
Small Town Shell
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moulton, TXJanuary 13, 2018
This is a great place to work just not a place to be for advancement or forever. I've been here 3 years. It's a fast-paced environment. My most favorite part of this job is seeing customers and just being able to conversate with others and still enjoy my job.
Cons
Late hours, unsteady schedule
Fast paced, especially in the summer but good work flow usually
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Buckhorn, MOJanuary 11, 2018
A typical day at work at this establishment consists of helping customers check out regular store items and sometimes cooking and serving food. The hardest part of the job for me was the truck once a week because there are some very heavy boxes that have to moves around the store. The most enjoyable part of the job for me was helping with the office work, but most of the employees don't really deal with that part of the company. The co-workers are usually could at balancing the daily work and the management was always helpful with scheduling. I was and currently am a full time college student, so she always made sure I got off on time for my classes and never scheduled me for nights.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Short breaks for non-smokers and no benefits
Stressful and inhabitable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, TNJanuary 7, 2018
Since the new manager came in things have gone down hill. No heat or ac. You have to walk on egg shells while working there. They are supposed to give you a raise for every year you are there but the never give it to you. The new manager yells at you for the same things they have done. They do not work with you with your schedule. Third shift is dangerous and they do not provide security or anything for a female working by herself.
not a good place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cynthiana, KY 41031January 5, 2018
I didn't get any benefits, The management sucked, there were no benefits, and they work you to death and management makes you kick people out instead of them
n/a
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at Shell however I quit to go back to school and no longer could work the hours demanded of me. I would suggest it for others to work at
Meet lots of new people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time at this location. I met a lot of different people. The co workers that I worked with where fun and helpful. I do not have any thing bad to say about this job.
Easy place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 30, 2017
The was a easy going job, busy but not to busy. Convenient hours, great location compared to where I lived at the time. Laid back job easy money to get.
Get ready to be called in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Antigo, WIDecember 21, 2017
It's a gas station job. It is what it is. You need to have lots of time on your hands because you will most likely get called in when you have requested days off. And if you don't show up you're fired. You are constantly handling dirty money and watching for minors trying to buy illegal things, or people giving you bad checks. You always worry that your till will be off at the end of the day. Just a stressful place.
Pros
Get to meet new people
Cons
No life, stressful, low pay
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93726November 27, 2017
Hardest part is dealing with the people. Easy work. Management was fair and nice. Co-Workers are easy to deal with because it just you and one other person. You're responsible to take for your own lunches and breaks.
Pros
Easy job.
Cons
Absolutely no room to move up.
Good job for a teenager
Cashier (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GANovember 7, 2017
Count your money ,make sure to start your shift with a hundred dollar also you must count lottery tickets well i learned how to use a cash register management is cool
Enjoyed meeting and getting to know the public
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Trussville, ALNovember 1, 2017
My day at Shell was faced paced. A typical day at work would be ringing up customers, changing trash, cleaning restrooms, making coffee, Stocking, Cleaning counters/machines, fronting product, customer service, counting inventory, counting the safe. The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers with bad attitudes. The most enjoyable part was meeting and becoming friends with new people.
Pros
Free coffee, 5 days off every other week
Cons
not enough hours, work afternoons, work every weekend
Company shut down
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Holladay, TNOctober 27, 2017
It was an okay job to work at. The main problem was the management and location of the store. Had to work lots of different shifts and sometimes a lot of hours. The store location I worked at just was not up to par with most shell stations.
Upbeat and fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COOctober 24, 2017
Never really a down time moment. there was Always something to be done. From stocking to labeling to pricing. Cleaning to pumping peoples gas for them. The people are what made the work.
Fast pace
Cashier Attendant (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 23, 2017
The typical day a work was a fast and steady pace. You meet all kinds of different people. The only I didn't like about the job was getting paid $7.50 to go outside and pick weeds in the parking lot.
steady calm
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stockton, ALOctober 19, 2017
this job was actually a good job... the people were nice and you made your hours every week. the only thing negative about the jhob was night shift had creepy people coming in off the interstate
Pros
clean calm
Cons
night shift is slow
If you have good management, you will love it!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GA 30240October 19, 2017
I left this company due to pregnancy complications while on the clock and no one came in to relieve me so I locked the doors and left to go to the hospital. I had a really good manager when I first started but he moved on to greener pastures and I got a new manager. The new manager had no clue what she was doing and ultimately was the reason why I left.
fun place to work
Owner/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 18, 2017
It is great place to work. My all co worker are nice and friendly environment.It is fast pace company to work with. very flexible hours and paid vacation
reading News paper
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 16, 2017
I start my day by opening my shift , and serving my customers with a big smile helping anyone needs help using their credit card inside or outside the store .
Pros
free beverages
Cons
20 minutes lunch 15 minutes bathrooms
it a place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Platteville, COOctober 7, 2017
i don't know it just a place to work it can be fun, or a bad place to work it just depends on the day and who is there. the manager is very fun with she is not in a bad mood.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.