Shell Employee Reviews in United States

Minimum effort for minimum wage
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newberg, OR 97132April 12, 2016
Good place to start out, but the employees are entirely unmotivated and the upper management only seems to care about profits, and not whether the store is clean or maintained properly. Things would break quite often, and wouldn't be replaced or fixed for up to 6 months. Contains outside work in all weather conditions.
Pros
Friendly employees, friendly customers, easy work.
Cons
Second and third shift went without breaks despite it being Oregon law, store is in constant disrepair.
Fast Paced as well as relaxing.
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXMarch 17, 2016
Helping customers with checking and checkout products. While using the cash register learning to handle money. The management was pretty fair understandable with my schedule and very considerate and flexible. The co-workers were pretty relaxed and easy to communicate with as well as being very good at helping with team work. The hardest part of the job was having some customers get angry at me when a situation was out of my control. The most enjoyable part of my job was when customers would tell me im really good at my job i deserve a raise or would try to hire me cause they are a manager at another company and would tell me "I could use someone like you at my company".
It is a corporation that you will always love the fact that you were part of it
Technical Training & Services Development Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYMarch 16, 2016
The best corporation I have ever worked for in terms of establishing work ethics and objectives in a very smart way, clearly specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time wise to always going well.
Pros
Extremely supportive and appraiser, of the people showing energetic assertive self starting, and achieving of their extra mile every second.
Cons
Eventually energetic people is led by human factors that might cause to haste and override steps, that might lead into rut events, that otherwise would have been avoided with the correct, diligent and earnestly collaborative supervision.
Shell Oil Company
Eng Assistant/Shift Supervisor/Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Norco, LAMarch 26, 2016
Without a doubt Shell is the best company to work for by a long-shot. There was so much room for advancement and the working environment was just wonderful. Met some of the smartest operators, Operations, Staff, Engineering and management people in my life.

Really sad when we were sold to UCC. Not a knock on Carbide, it's just that no one can come close to what Shell offered and the way they operated..
Exciting job for entry level professionals
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Began my accounting career with this company 1979. Company provided a competitive salary and superior benefits. Job culture was somewhat lacking in that management did not take advantage of employees' talents. Opportunity for advancement was extremely subjective.
Pros
Employee movement among organizations was very restrictive.
Cons
Great benefits
I was a contractor from Accenture to Shell Oil.
Lean Instructor and Project Coach (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2016
The Continuous Improvement Team I worked with at Shell Oil was a global team. They worked very hard to get quality people in the program and get them certified as quick as possible. They included me in some of their strategy planning meetings to reduce the certification time. Shell was easy to work with and open to my recommendations to improve their Continuous Improvement program.
Pros
Many good employees selected to be part of the Shell Oil Lean program.
Cons
No Line Managers were accountable to get the Lean projects done on time.
Great place to work. Enabled me to be productive daily.
Maintenance & Integrity SAP PM Project Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day at work was filled with productivity. I learned to be self managed daily. My co-workers were easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was customers who did not follow instructions. The most enjoyable part of this job was interaction with great team members.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Team member who did not want to following instructions
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oneida, TNFebruary 2, 2016
A typical work day at Shell was cleaning the floors and helping customers with what they needed. I learned that they is good and bad people in this world. The management was awesome. My co-workers liked to help others. The hardest part of my job was dealing with rude and ungrateful customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing a smile on the customers face whenever they left the store.
Cons
No breaks
Fast paced, enjoyable, friendly staff.
Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Petaluma, CAJanuary 13, 2016
I really enjoyed working at shell. I liked my co-workers, manager, and boss. I enjoyed the type of work I was doing and I liked the fast paced feel of the job. I have no complaints about my time there, aside from the fact that I signed up to work 3 days a week, and ended up having to work 5 days a week, and towards the end 6 days a week, but taking on the extra work load wasn't too much of a problem for me because I had the free time, I enjoyed having the extra cash, and I was happy to help the store out when it needed me to work the extra hours.
Great job, enjoyed it
Wells Tech (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 15, 2016
• Maintains complete documentation of drilling/completions activities in Open Wells database
• Ensures data mandated in the global Operations Reporting Manual (ORM) is captured
• Compiles statistics to identify Non-productive maintenance activities
• Advise engineers/foremen of cost transparency/coding issues
• Maintains project records and documentation for auditing purposes
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Job security
long hours, low to avg pay,
Manager Gas N Shop (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 15, 2016
it no longer matters, the company i worked under is no more, they went under after a hostile takeover of the leasing company of the majority of the stores that ripped the leases out from under the company leaving only 6 stores and a heavy debt the stores could not maintain after struggling on for over a year they ended up closing
Great Work Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Annville, KYJanuary 4, 2016
In my short time at Shell, I made great friends, worked very hard, and learned great skills. I would go into work, wait on customers and serve food. At night, I would recover, clean and close the store down for the next day. My co-workers were great. They would help me do my work and were always there to have my back in case times were busy. The hardest part of the job was physical labor, but after time, you would barely notice it. The best part was being around great people and great customers. They made the job much better.
Shell Lubricants
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Good rate of pay for oil industry. Great benefit package, insurance very expensive. Management is based on friendships and who you know, which causes a lot of upper management to be unqualified to hold their positions or make good decisions. Company is not loyal to long term employees, just a number or statistic to them. No job security at all.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
lack of leadership and working with disabilities
IT Finance Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2016
This company is boring and unorganized. I would not like to work here again. The manager had horrific hygiene and did not talk to anyone all day during work. Not even good morning. Awful company. They also lied about what they hired me for. I would not like to work here again.
Pros
no leadership
Cons
poor teamwork
Decent job with low benefits, the atmosphere was fun
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 28, 2015
* Typical day at work consisted of stocking and staying behind a cash register
* I learned how to talk to a different class of people
* Management was decent, could have been better
* My Coworkers were some of the best I have ever worked with, we all took care of each other
* Nothing hard about the job
* The most enjoyable part of the day, looking at the different people that come in and out of the store
Pros
Cons
No benefits, low pay, boring, not much to really do
Great co-workers, terrible environment
Ca. Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAMarch 12, 2016
This job was super easy to do, but the safety for one-self was definitely questionable in every way, shape, and form. The management was almost never there and the place wasn't always properly stocked. And the opportunity to ever move up in any way was pretty much non-existent.
Pros
easy job
Cons
questionable safety
Very good company to work for but will cut you off if their numbers are not right.
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2016
Good company to work for as long as they keep making money. They will cut you off to "down sizing" if their numbers don't come in where they want to be or if you are close to retirement at a young age. No such thing as commitment to long term employees.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
No commitment to employees regardless of tenure
Family owned business and atmosphere
cashier (Former Employee) –  Durand, MIDecember 16, 2015
My day would start with count my till, check inventory and stock shelves, clean and straighten up the story all while tending to customers.
The hardest part about the job was remembering our regular customers purchases, they would look at me like i am crazy when i didn't remember how much gas they get or what kind of cigarettes they get which get better over time.
The most enjoyable part about my day would be helping customers.
Pros
discounts
Cons
working late no time for family time
For Shell Oil Company, mostly positive
Assist attorneys (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 12, 2015
Whenever money problems arise at the company, people are the first to go.
On the other hand, my clerical position was challenging which I enjoyed. The professionals I supported gave me opportunities to improve my job and I certainly enjoyed gaining new experiences.
The most enjoyable part of my job was not answering the phone as the professionals' phone calls went to an answering service giving me ample time to complete other tasks.
Pros
Good benefits
Great Workplace with professional people
Research and Development Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2016
I work as a contractor for the R and D analytical group. The Shell Tech Center in Houston has a great work environment with a lot of knowledgeable professionals. Work/life balance is nice and the safety culture is real and not fake.
Pros
safety, workload, people
Cons
n/a