Shell Employee Reviews

What can you expect from a gas station?
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MISeptember 28, 2016
I've worked for this company for almost four years and it's starting to wear on me. I usually work 8 hour shifts and it's so busy I never get a break. My manager favors scheduling full time employees around what the part time workers want/need, and yearly raises are hardly ever given. If they are, they're minimal. Don't work for this company unless you absolutely cannot find anything else.
Pros
Free fountain pop
Cons
Almost no breaks
Working for Shell is Like a Roller Coaster Ride
Portfolio Learning Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2016
I've been with Shell for 17 years. Over the years I've observed that when the economy is good, there isn't a better place to work than Shell. Their benefits package is second to none, development of staff at all levels is encouraged, leaders push their staff to perform at their best (at times outside of their comfort zone) and they are top-quartile when it comes to embracing diversity and inclusion.

Lately, with budget cuts, downsizing, reorgs, pending office closures, etc., it makes for a challenging work environment. BUT...this all goes with the territory of working in the petroleum industry. I have gained so much through working for Shell. Personal and professional development, excellent pay and benefits, flexible work schedule (9-80), colleagues and managers who practice Shell's Enterprise First behaviors and much more. It's been an experience that I am truly grateful for.
clerk
Stocker/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CASeptember 26, 2016
-preparing coffee over and over
-Learned to Wake up really early and head to work at 4am
-Management was okay
-co-workers were nice and very helpful
-Hardest part was waking up early
-enjoyable part of the job was meeting people and hearing their stories
Pros
free coffee
Cons
short breaks, rude customers
Productive work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  I-10 Wilmot Tucson, AzSeptember 25, 2016
Open and closed cash registers, assisted customers, trained new employees, and managed attractive merchandise display. Given new and daily tasks to assist in sales.
Pros
Assist customers of all types
Cons
no lunch breaks or breaks given
Great company, good benefits, good work enviroment
Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasSeptember 21, 2016
Enjoyed every day spent there, great fellow workers, good management, access for promotion, great benefits. Retirement benefits, locations around Houston and the US and the world.
Pros
Good working enviroment, great fellow workers
Cons
lot's of location changes, poor parking access
Very Nice area to work and learn
Data Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Al BaşrahSeptember 20, 2016
Shell Is a very great company that offers allot of benefits

I have learned about Data management
I have been under extensive EDW Training and ASSAI training

worked as a data control analyst with direct contact to my supervisor and many local and national construction companies that we had to deal with them and make them learn how to use the correct system and deliver the correct information that will be submitted into the online system so it can be accessed again when needed
Good work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Elk Grove, CASeptember 19, 2016
On a typical day at Shells, first person who opens after swing shift is expected to count and record cigarettes and lottery scratchers. Open register and make sure your till is at $100. There will be two employees, one will be assigned on register and the other doing side duty, which is; cleaning/sweeping outside and restocking the cooler. I've learned a lot from not knowing how to make coffee to being calm when angry customers put you in certain situations. For example, a customer demanded that our location should take EBT. I calmly told the customer that only certain locations take EBT for food but our location specifically and many others do not accept EBT. Though the customer was very angry, I was able to reason with the customer that if she didn't have any cash on her, which is what she complained about, that there is an ATM machine inside our store. The hardest part of this job is probably the cooler. It gets freezing cold in there and you could get sick if not dressed properly. Most enjoyable part of this job is working with other employees. They are all very friendly and cooperative with all new employees.
Pros
Mexican Restaurant connected to our store
Cons
Short Breaks
Shell
Crew, 3rd shift (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 16, 2016
Shell at the time was an pretty ok job, i haf worked 3rd shift and created my own work environment, i never had problem with shell up into the point of the true Colors of management made itself known. I then after which i had to depart to a new ajob
Pros
Creating my own enviroment and improving myself with customers of various types
Cons
Management, Tall and short
Not a Bad place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 13, 2016
At Shell Gas station I learned how to work a cash register. A man always begs for change throughout the neighborhood. We're supposed to run him off the property if we see him begging, but only one manager ever does. Some of my co-workers were very lazy and didn't do there jobs, the hardest part about the job was lottery at first but i got the hang of it, what I enjoyed the most was meeting different types of people and getting to know them.
Good for Students
Full Time Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Orange City, FLSeptember 10, 2016
The job entailment's are quite easy and straight forward, but are lacking is most of the other employees as there is no real training set in place. Constantly running out of inventory. Hours are very irregular. Pay could be better for what all the job requires of you. A lot of independent work.
Pros
Free Drinks, Good Life/Work Balance
Cons
Pay, Hours, No benefits, Management

Want to know more about Shell?

Ask a question
Workplave
Gas Attendant (Current Employee) –  Stockton, NJSeptember 4, 2016
I started out as part time. Moved to full time and I love it. I like all the customers. Come in early and stay late if needed. I like the people I work with.
Great place to work. Keen on training for advancement
Start Team, Onshore Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2016
plenty of meetings. advanced training for roles (auditing, compliance), management is bogged down with realignment at upper levels. great peers and diverse/inclusive. competing with changing priorities. great job of celebrating successes, recognition.
Pros
benefit package
Cons
constant realignment, change in reporting lines
Productive and Friendly Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bryans Road, MDSeptember 1, 2016
I truly enjoyed working at Shell. I enjoyed dealing with customers, and all the task that where recommended for me to do. It always seem to make me a happier person to know I was able to make the next person happy in anyway possible.
interesting, and mostly fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Waipahu, HIAugust 28, 2016
Working at Shell was an amazing Experience, I learned to be very pro active, I'm never sitting down doing nothing, I was always on my feet, I would usually clean, and restock, I also had to work behind the register.
customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Albany, ILAugust 24, 2016
Out of all my jobs I loved working there due to the customers there. I loved working there. I didn't mind working weird hours and going through the angry customers because there was some really great people that would come in. The only down fall is I wanted to move up in the company and the manager decided to take back on leaving so I left.
very good
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CAAugust 20, 2016
it's very easy and nice job
the manager is nice and he treat you so respectful
they are flexible.
the environment is so nice
I worked there for more than 2 years and I'm grateful
Good learning experience with great mentors
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, TXAugust 15, 2016
Was a great place to work, over the years the quality of experienced operators diminished. Management started going downhill in my opinion but still a great company and I learned a lot about the industry. I gained great experience and knowledge which fueled my desire to expand into bigger projects.
Demanding and satisfying frontline work in project delivery
Lead Cost Engineer (Former Employee) –  QAAugust 13, 2016
Established Project procedures.
Broad range of commercial and technical exposure.
More top down direction and less consensus building required to drive response Executive decisions.
Strong safety culture and training.
Great Employee's
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 6, 2016
Productive employees, that have a GREAT time we customers . Making them laugh and have a great experience while they are being checked out.
Pros
Contests To win Gift cards For up selling to customers.
Cons
Standing for long period. And Sometimes lunch gets cold..LOL
Average job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2016
A good and bad experience, deal with the public and staff. You learn how to handle as a cashier and how you deal with problems. Depending on what the shift is it can be okay or terrible. You sell products, provide gasoline, fill tanks, and do other jobs you should NOT be doing as a cashier. I had to do many things that the lazy management and other employees neglect to do or not care about. Why? because they will blame you if it is not done, even if its not your job or time to do them. I was a cashier, they had me clean cars, put air in tires, do minor repairs, fill propane tanks, wash windows, stock products, and much more by YOURSELF! No one to help you, have to call management if any questions or problems. Not to mention the favoritism and power struggle of the other employees. They do not pay you enough the ridiculousness you have to go through each day.
Pros
Cons
Vandalism, Theft, No breaks, Standing entire shift, Poor treatment, LOW pay, Irresponsible staff and management