Shell Employee Reviews

Worst experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXDecember 21, 2016
Got the job. But felt like i was being watched because of my color. I was accused of stealing but when proven wrong i was made to feel as if i was wrong for being right. I could only work one shift and that was overnight. No work was done by any other co workers except for me and three others. There was a lot of favoritism going on as well. Policy after policy being broken and nothing is said about it. But the minute i mess up i have to be coached when apparently we were lacking in supervision and instruction. Wasn't a bad temp job but not anything that i would try to make permanent.
Pros
n/a
Cons
low pay, racial tension, bad hours, bad work enviornment
easy workplace but horrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MADecember 20, 2016
A typical day would be an 8 hour straight shift, where you would be the only one working (unless management was in the office) and that means running the register, cleaning, stocking goods, putting away deliveries and helping customers was all your responsibility. The management was very hectic, they answered any questions asked but were also extremely unorganized.
Pros
free coffee or slush puppies if that shell had them
Cons
no breaks and long hours
Just a typical job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stoughton, MAJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at work was cleaning the place and looking for expiration dates. On top of that you had to run back and forth to help the customers. I learned that customers are difficult and you need a lot of patience even though I love to work with people. The co workers and management were not to pleasant to work with. I felt like the managers never treated us well. The best part of my day was when i could connect with my customers.
Challenging enjoyable work enviroment
HSE Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 14, 2016
I enjoyed the challenges of being the Shell safety supervisor on different offshore assets. It was at times challenging finding different ways to communicate potential hazards to the crews to keep them from becoming complacent. So I would work daily to find examples of incidents related to the work we were engaged in, I believe using visual examples of worst case scenario's would keep the crews attention in the pre-job meetings. I would have to say the hardest part is breaking through to the older guys to accept the ever changing safety procedures. I really enjoyed the challenges of this job but most of all the people I worked with.
Pros
Amazing food, good pay, great personnel
Cons
Being away from home
Great workplace
Cashier/Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  McKee, KYNovember 16, 2016
Working at Shell was a great first job. For me, a typical day at Shell involved working the register, counting money, and filing paperwork. The short time I was at Shell, I learned how to manage a store and caught on quickly. My managers were great to work with as well were my co-workers. Shell was such a great job and I enjoyed everything about it; there was not anything about shell that was hard.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Stocking
Fast paced and extremely enjoyable place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLJanuary 10, 2017
This is by far one of the best companies I could have worked for. The management team made me feel like one of the family right from the start. I had the best trainer possible and everything was explained thoroughly. I was at a very fast paced store, that handled greyhound bus tickets and u-haul rentals, and it helped the hours go by.
Great company to work in. Remarkable opportunity.
PDMS Piping Designer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 21, 2016
Shell is a great company to work in. Good salary, perks, good work culture. Flexible timing etc. Job security is very bad due to the down turn in oil prices. Lot of projects are cancelled and lot of lay offs in 2016.
Pros
Working atmosphere, good people around. good management, good salary, flexible timing.
Cons
No job security due to cancellation of projects mainly due to the oil prices.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brookpark, OHOctober 10, 2016
Cashiering at the regular and lottery registers is easy. 98% of customers are very friendly and most are 'regulars'. Cleaning and stocking are easy and a good way to build some arm muscle. No chance for advancement. Whatever you do, really listen to them when they say "Don't play lottery during your shift", that's how I lost my job. Even the co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
Working with great people, both co-workers and customers.
Cons
No chance for advancement.
Blissful Environment, Lacks Advancement
CASHIER, SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Fort Washington, MDOctober 4, 2016
This job was just to have cash on the side while I went to school. The job was fairly simple since it only involved me cleaning, stocking, and (mainly) socializing with customers. I got along with all my coworkers easily and became very good friends with my supervisor. This relationship helped me learned a little about the ins-and-outs owning a franchise.

The hardest part of my job was there was not a designated lunch-break time, therefore some times I ate lunch and other times I did not. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the customers.
Pros
No Lunch Breaks
Cons
Meeting Many People
What can you expect from a gas station?
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MISeptember 28, 2016
I've worked for this company for almost four years and it's starting to wear on me. I usually work 8 hour shifts and it's so busy I never get a break. My manager favors scheduling full time employees around what the part time workers want/need, and yearly raises are hardly ever given. If they are, they're minimal. Don't work for this company unless you absolutely cannot find anything else.
Pros
Free fountain pop
Cons
Almost no breaks
Very Nice area to work and learn
Data Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Al BaşrahSeptember 20, 2016
Shell Is a very great company that offers allot of benefits

I have learned about Data management
I have been under extensive EDW Training and ASSAI training

worked as a data control analyst with direct contact to my supervisor and many local and national construction companies that we had to deal with them and make them learn how to use the correct system and deliver the correct information that will be submitted into the online system so it can be accessed again when needed
A job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Derry, NHNovember 5, 2016
Inbetween kind of thing. Liked the husband who ran the place his wife not so much. I did safe drops and faced sodas. They were really adamant about dusting every two hours, seemed like overkill
I cashiered stocked and face shelves, nothing crazy.
Pros
Access to snacks while my girlfriend was trying to make me do the paleo diet. Ample downtime
Cons
Dead end gas station job
Not a Bad place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GASeptember 13, 2016
At Shell Gas station I learned how to work a cash register. A man always begs for change throughout the neighborhood. We're supposed to run him off the property if we see him begging, but only one manager ever does. Some of my co-workers were very lazy and didn't do there jobs, the hardest part about the job was lottery at first but i got the hang of it, what I enjoyed the most was meeting different types of people and getting to know them.
Unfortunately this place was not cared for I don't even think that the owner cared for this place let alone its employees
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJanuary 14, 2017
Not my favorite place to of work but it gave me experience and the manager that ran the place was awesome she herself was a very good person the company itself was the problem for me no holiday pay extra
Easiest Job, Non-Beneficial Pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  CTJanuary 2, 2017
Working at Shell was one of the easiest jobs to do once I was trained and knew where everything was. All that was expected of me was to keep the store clean, as well as restock shelves and ring out customers.
Pros
Comfortable uniforms, easy work, working alone
Cons
Rude customers, insufficient hours, minimum wage pay
productive place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHJanuary 1, 2017
i really enjoyed my job. met some great coworkers.met alot of great people through out my career their. worked at all the stores my boss owned. moves up to assistant manager, delt with money,lottery tickets ,ordering products for store schedulings.
Cons
no much down time breaks were very rushed
Good for Students
Full Time Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Orange City, FLSeptember 10, 2016
The job entailment's are quite easy and straight forward, but are lacking is most of the other employees as there is no real training set in place. Constantly running out of inventory. Hours are very irregular. Pay could be better for what all the job requires of you. A lot of independent work.
Pros
Free Drinks, Good Life/Work Balance
Cons
Pay, Hours, No benefits, Management
Challenging work and supportive environment
Human Resources Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2016
Great company to get lots of global foundational learning and support. Interesting to work for a Dutch company and requires lots of agility at times.
Pros
Benefits, compensation
Cons
Struggle with Work/Life Balance at times, Oil and Gas Industry is declining
very fast paced, friendly environment
Gas Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cottage Grove, ORNovember 21, 2016
I loved working here at shell gas station. I met many new faces and also knew a lot of others who came in for gas or for drinks/food in the store. I would definitely work at shell again!
Pros
good hours, friendly customer service
Cons
mixed up schedule, work alone most the day
Great place to work. Keen on training for advancement
Start Team, Onshore Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 2, 2016
plenty of meetings. advanced training for roles (auditing, compliance), management is bogged down with realignment at upper levels. great peers and diverse/inclusive. competing with changing priorities. great job of celebrating successes, recognition.
Pros
benefit package
Cons
constant realignment, change in reporting lines

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.