Shell Employee Reviews

Great company to work in. Remarkable opportunity.
PDMS Piping Designer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 21, 2016
Shell is a great company to work in. Good salary, perks, good work culture. Flexible timing etc. Job security is very bad due to the down turn in oil prices. Lot of projects are cancelled and lot of lay offs in 2016.
Pros
Working atmosphere, good people around. good management, good salary, flexible timing.
Cons
No job security due to cancellation of projects mainly due to the oil prices.
Great company, good benefits, good work enviroment
Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasSeptember 21, 2016
Enjoyed every day spent there, great fellow workers, good management, access for promotion, great benefits. Retirement benefits, locations around Houston and the US and the world.
Pros
Good working enviroment, great fellow workers
Cons
lot's of location changes, poor parking access
easy workplace but horrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MADecember 20, 2016
A typical day would be an 8 hour straight shift, where you would be the only one working (unless management was in the office) and that means running the register, cleaning, stocking goods, putting away deliveries and helping customers was all your responsibility. The management was very hectic, they answered any questions asked but were also extremely unorganized.
Pros
free coffee or slush puppies if that shell had them
Cons
no breaks and long hours
Highly competitive workplace
Associate Business Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 17, 2016
Given its scale, Shell is a highly competitive company. Like all players they are currently suffering under a low oil price environment and that shows in how management is navigating the situation. Advancement can be slow.. Complicated systems are the norm and there is a procedure or process for everything. Often, new teams are created for no realistic reason. Overly complicated ways of working has a negative effect on employee morale and lead to a bogged down system. Knowledge inclusive needs a lot of work to be effective.
Nice people fun atmosphere
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 3, 2017
Work was fine but long hours very little time to get a brake and no chance to get a raise employs we're nice and very helpfull
Pros
Wifi
Cons
Little job training
Very Nice area to work and learn
Data Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Al BaşrahSeptember 20, 2016
Shell Is a very great company that offers allot of benefits

I have learned about Data management
I have been under extensive EDW Training and ASSAI training

worked as a data control analyst with direct contact to my supervisor and many local and national construction companies that we had to deal with them and make them learn how to use the correct system and deliver the correct information that will be submitted into the online system so it can be accessed again when needed
What can you expect from a gas station?
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MISeptember 28, 2016
I've worked for this company for almost four years and it's starting to wear on me. I usually work 8 hour shifts and it's so busy I never get a break. My manager favors scheduling full time employees around what the part time workers want/need, and yearly raises are hardly ever given. If they are, they're minimal. Don't work for this company unless you absolutely cannot find anything else.
Pros
Free fountain pop
Cons
Almost no breaks
Challenging work and supportive environment
Human Resources Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2016
Great company to get lots of global foundational learning and support. Interesting to work for a Dutch company and requires lots of agility at times.
Pros
Benefits, compensation
Cons
Struggle with Work/Life Balance at times, Oil and Gas Industry is declining
Fun work place
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Piedmont, SCJanuary 6, 2017
I enjoyed this job and on a typical day I would work the cash register, clean, cook, stock, order, schedule employees, and maintain the store with a co-worker or alone. I learned to create a schedule and put in orders to the vendors. Check supplies and restock supplies that we were low on. Learn what to do in dangerous situations; for example, if I got robbed or if there was a gas leak. The worst part of this job was the day I stopped working there. I was working and going to school at the same time. My first day back to school I left and went to clock into work at the shell. When I went to clock in my manager stopped me and informed me that he had sold the store and I no longer had a job. This was devastating to me, but I called my area manager from RGIS and went back to work with RGIS the next day. In the end everything worked out.
Pros
learning to manage a business, learning to order merchandise, and learning to make schedules
Cons
losing the job all of a sudden, and poor management
Good for Students
Full Time Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Orange City, FLSeptember 10, 2016
The job entailment's are quite easy and straight forward, but are lacking is most of the other employees as there is no real training set in place. Constantly running out of inventory. Hours are very irregular. Pay could be better for what all the job requires of you. A lot of independent work.
Pros
Free Drinks, Good Life/Work Balance
Cons
Pay, Hours, No benefits, Management
Working for Shell is Like a Roller Coaster Ride
Portfolio Learning Advisor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 27, 2016
I've been with Shell for 17 years. Over the years I've observed that when the economy is good, there isn't a better place to work than Shell. Their benefits package is second to none, development of staff at all levels is encouraged, leaders push their staff to perform at their best (at times outside of their comfort zone) and they are top-quartile when it comes to embracing diversity and inclusion.

Lately, with budget cuts, downsizing, reorgs, pending office closures, etc., it makes for a challenging work environment. BUT...this all goes with the territory of working in the petroleum industry. I have gained so much through working for Shell. Personal and professional development, excellent pay and benefits, flexible work schedule (9-80), colleagues and managers who practice Shell's Enterprise First behaviors and much more. It's been an experience that I am truly grateful for.
Unsecured job site
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phelan, CAJuly 21, 2016
I worked eight hours a day, all holidays, alone from 3pm to 10pm. job duties required me to go outside. I learned what to do if theres a fire at a gas station, what the emergency off switch looks like at all gas stations. management was helpful in very few areas that were minor issues, otherwise, not very attentive. coworkers were very helpful. Going outside at night alone. good hours.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
on your own, no benefits, have to work all holidays.
Fast Paced as well as relaxing.
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXMarch 17, 2016
Helping customers with checking and checkout products. While using the cash register learning to handle money. The management was pretty fair understandable with my schedule and very considerate and flexible. The co-workers were pretty relaxed and easy to communicate with as well as being very good at helping with team work. The hardest part of the job was having some customers get angry at me when a situation was out of my control. The most enjoyable part of my job was when customers would tell me im really good at my job i deserve a raise or would try to hire me cause they are a manager at another company and would tell me "I could use someone like you at my company".
no thank you
Sales Associate / Customer service Representative (Current Employee) –  Prescott, AZDecember 27, 2016
worked for 4 years fired on non applicable charges so that they could hire someone who they didn ot have to pay for benefits for
work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rogersville, MODecember 28, 2016
Owners not worried if your happy with daily encounters. Not willing to give raises or advancement opportunity. Customers can be brutal and youre expecting to be a bootlicker
Exciting job for entry level professionals
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Began my accounting career with this company 1979. Company provided a competitive salary and superior benefits. Job culture was somewhat lacking in that management did not take advantage of employees' talents. Opportunity for advancement was extremely subjective.
Pros
Employee movement among organizations was very restrictive.
Cons
Great benefits
Demanding and satisfying frontline work in project delivery
Lead Cost Engineer (Former Employee) –  QAAugust 13, 2016
Established Project procedures.
Broad range of commercial and technical exposure.
More top down direction and less consensus building required to drive response Executive decisions.
Strong safety culture and training.
Just a typical job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stoughton, MAJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at work was cleaning the place and looking for expiration dates. On top of that you had to run back and forth to help the customers. I learned that customers are difficult and you need a lot of patience even though I love to work with people. The co workers and management were not to pleasant to work with. I felt like the managers never treated us well. The best part of my day was when i could connect with my customers.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brookpark, OHOctober 10, 2016
Cashiering at the regular and lottery registers is easy. 98% of customers are very friendly and most are 'regulars'. Cleaning and stocking are easy and a good way to build some arm muscle. No chance for advancement. Whatever you do, really listen to them when they say "Don't play lottery during your shift", that's how I lost my job. Even the co-workers are friendly and easy to get along with.
Pros
Working with great people, both co-workers and customers.
Cons
No chance for advancement.
Average job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2016
A good and bad experience, deal with the public and staff. You learn how to handle as a cashier and how you deal with problems. Depending on what the shift is it can be okay or terrible. You sell products, provide gasoline, fill tanks, and do other jobs you should NOT be doing as a cashier. I had to do many things that the lazy management and other employees neglect to do or not care about. Why? because they will blame you if it is not done, even if its not your job or time to do them. I was a cashier, they had me clean cars, put air in tires, do minor repairs, fill propane tanks, wash windows, stock products, and much more by YOURSELF! No one to help you, have to call management if any questions or problems. Not to mention the favoritism and power struggle of the other employees. They do not pay you enough the ridiculousness you have to go through each day.
Pros
Cons
Vandalism, Theft, No breaks, Standing entire shift, Poor treatment, LOW pay, Irresponsible staff and management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.