Shell Employee Reviews in United States

Fast Paced as well as relaxing.
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXMarch 17, 2016
Helping customers with checking and checkout products. While using the cash register learning to handle money. The management was pretty fair understandable with my schedule and very considerate and flexible. The co-workers were pretty relaxed and easy to communicate with as well as being very good at helping with team work. The hardest part of the job was having some customers get angry at me when a situation was out of my control. The most enjoyable part of my job was when customers would tell me im really good at my job i deserve a raise or would try to hire me cause they are a manager at another company and would tell me "I could use someone like you at my company".
Exciting job for entry level professionals
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Began my accounting career with this company 1979. Company provided a competitive salary and superior benefits. Job culture was somewhat lacking in that management did not take advantage of employees' talents. Opportunity for advancement was extremely subjective.
Pros
Employee movement among organizations was very restrictive.
Cons
Great benefits
It is a corporation that you will always love the fact that you were part of it
Technical Training & Services Development Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYMarch 16, 2016
The best corporation I have ever worked for in terms of establishing work ethics and objectives in a very smart way, clearly specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time wise to always going well.
Pros
Extremely supportive and appraiser, of the people showing energetic assertive self starting, and achieving of their extra mile every second.
Cons
Eventually energetic people is led by human factors that might cause to haste and override steps, that might lead into rut events, that otherwise would have been avoided with the correct, diligent and earnestly collaborative supervision.
Shell Lubricants
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Good rate of pay for oil industry. Great benefit package, insurance very expensive. Management is based on friendships and who you know, which causes a lot of upper management to be unqualified to hold their positions or make good decisions. Company is not loyal to long term employees, just a number or statistic to them. No job security at all.
Pros
Benifits
Shell Oil Company
Eng Assistant/Shift Supervisor/Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Norco, LAMarch 26, 2016
Without a doubt Shell is the best company to work for by a long-shot. There was so much room for advancement and the working environment was just wonderful. Met some of the smartest operators, Operations, Staff, Engineering and management people in my life.

Really sad when we were sold to UCC. Not a knock on Carbide, it's just that no one can come close to what Shell offered and the way they operated..
Good benefits, management needs work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Overall, Shell has great benefits and compensation. This becomes the "golden handcuffs" though. Management has been promoted through years of "waiting it out" regardless of skills or expertise. Bad decisions made within senior leadership and executive teams filter to rest of staff through knee jerk reactions and reactive behavior. Contracting staff clean-up much of management's bad decisions and hide many of its mistakes. Shell staff is caught in the middle and play politics to dodge the bad decisions of executive management and senior staff.
Decent job with low benefits, the atmosphere was fun
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 28, 2015
* Typical day at work consisted of stocking and staying behind a cash register
* I learned how to talk to a different class of people
* Management was decent, could have been better
* My Coworkers were some of the best I have ever worked with, we all took care of each other
* Nothing hard about the job
* The most enjoyable part of the day, looking at the different people that come in and out of the store
Pros
Cons
No benefits, low pay, boring, not much to really do
Great company but needs better and more objective appraisal process
Senior completions and well interventions (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2015
Great company but needs better and more objective appraisal process.
Appraisal process is very subjective and results are decided at 3 levels up in your organization. You need to sell yourself on top of doing your job and adding extra time to accomplish additional things that were not expected as a deliverable of your goals and objectives.
Training is outstanding, if you want to learn from the experts in the industry then join Shell and use the company as a career progression opportunity to grow your technical skills.
I found a lot of good technical engineers doing managerial jobs without having proper leadership skills. It was hard to find people being passionate about leading the people and challenging each other to achieve better results for the company and the individuals.
Pros
training, expert technical support, challenging, tools to do your work.
Cons
Compensation, job bonus, appraisal process.
Great Workplace with professional people
Research and Development Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2016
I work as a contractor for the R and D analytical group. The Shell Tech Center in Houston has a great work environment with a lot of knowledgeable professionals. Work/life balance is nice and the safety culture is real and not fake.
Pros
safety, workload, people
Cons
n/a
Great Work/Life Balance
human resources (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 19, 2015
At Shell, the work/life balance is an incorporated part of the culture. Some of the downfalls is that to advance there is little direction towards training programs and some management has not been trained to help employees with development.
Pros
9/80 Schedule
Cons
Development Issues
Good steady job with good benefits.
Ethanol Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 13, 2015
Made most of my money through Overtime which last year I worked over 600+ hours. Work/Life balance is terrible. The only thing that makes my days better is that I work with a GREAT group of people including managers and co-workers. I deal with Norfolk Southern Railroad who is the main reason why the job requires so many hours. They are TERRIBLE having to deal business with. Never on time for anything.
Pros
Free lunches, Safety Bonuses, decent pay, good benefits, 10% 401k match after 9 years of service.
Cons
Long hours and no personal life
excellent company
KEY ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  greater PhiladelphiaDecember 16, 2015
great company that treats employees with respect and rewards performance. there is an ability to move up but usually require relocation. They are very strong with diversity and safety above all else
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
strong culture of how things are done
Shell is a big place but watch out for the Motiva division. Really horrible HR and management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXFebruary 14, 2016
I worked in several divisions over my 10 years at Shell and it wasn't all bad. I was a midlevel professional with some previous supervisory experience. I have been in the oil and chemicals business for more than 30 years and mostly worked for big companies. There is always a lot of variation in each individuals experience in these companies because different plants and supervisors and cultures exist throughout the company. My experience with Shell has gone from okay to terrible and most recently at Motive Port Arthur I have seen corruption, cronyism, and just downright spiteful managers making this place into one that is so full of tension and incompetency that it is likely to blow up someday just like BP Texas City did. If you care about yourself and your family avoid working here. It really isn't worth the money. You will come home so angry and frustrated you won't even be able to look your family in the eyes. It really is that bad. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID !!!
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else including an evil HR and managers who will treat you like a POW
Fun place and wonderful diverse environment
Sr. Petrophysicist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2015
1) First day to Houston office with green trees and friendly assistant
2) Team work and enterprise first spirit
3) Great management who value my suggestion and opinion
4) Most co-workers are friendly and supportive
5) Reconcile diverse culture and different kinds of people
6) Business trip to Holland with Delegations
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Health breaks and health care
Great customers
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Granite Bay, CAJanuary 4, 2016
As far as a typical day, it starts out helping customers and its all good. The manager and co workers are great. There really is no hard part about the job.
Cons
No raises or benefits.
Strong Emphasis on Employee Value Proposition
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 2, 2015
Shell provides excellent benefits, opportunities for growth and advancement, and believes in respecting individuals. Safety is the number one priority at Shell. Shell wants all employees and contractors to return home in the same way that they left in the morning. Every person has the responsibility to intervene when they see unsafe activities occurring regardless of level in the organization.

It's by no means a "perfect" company, but it's a much better company than most! If I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely work for Shell again.
Love Shell
Safety and Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 3, 2016
I love working for a professional environment that encourages hard work and furthering one's education. Great compensation and benefits.
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oneida, TNFebruary 2, 2016
A typical work day at Shell was cleaning the floors and helping customers with what they needed. I learned that they is good and bad people in this world. The management was awesome. My co-workers liked to help others. The hardest part of my job was dealing with rude and ungrateful customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing a smile on the customers face whenever they left the store.
Cons
No breaks
For Shell Oil Company, mostly positive
Assist attorneys (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 12, 2015
Whenever money problems arise at the company, people are the first to go.
On the other hand, my clerical position was challenging which I enjoyed. The professionals I supported gave me opportunities to improve my job and I certainly enjoyed gaining new experiences.
The most enjoyable part of my job was not answering the phone as the professionals' phone calls went to an answering service giving me ample time to complete other tasks.
Pros
Good benefits
Shell
DRILLING TECH (contract) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2015
Shell has a great work/life balance. Flexible schedule/hours.
Nice benefits. Room for advancement. Location is easy from many parts of town.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
cubicles