Shell Employee Reviews

Found 1,506 reviews matching the search
little hours, little pay
Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Bay Saint Louis, MSSeptember 21, 2017
A typical day at work was okay, I learned management skills, management was not that great. The hardest part of the job was trying to stock the shelves, work the register, and check in orders by myself all at the same time on busy days. There wasn't anything really enjoyable about the job other than the customers.
Pros
enjoyable customers
Cons
management, little hours, little pay
Amazing work place
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2017
Wondeful place to work. Great benefits and wonderful bosses and co workers. You really work among the best of the best. However everyone is afraid of layoffs when the oil industry is affected.
Pros
Salary, work environment
Cons
Fluctuations in oil market
Good place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Center, MNSeptember 19, 2017
I enjoyed working at Shell. It was my first job and it was easy to learn everything fast. It was not stressful and the staff was great. Had it not gone out of business I would have worked there a long time.
Strictly an engineering company
Sr Staff Geophysicist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 18, 2017
Shell does not value new geophysical technology. Geophysicists are rated low in overall usefulness. I would not recommend Shell because of the cutthroat attitude of most technical staff. Technical staff are concerned with providing an answer even though the answer may not be the correct one. Sad!
Pros
Pension
Cons
Corporate Culture
Fast pace nice work environment
CASHIER/ COOK (Former Employee) –  Indian Head, MDSeptember 17, 2017
they were very good to me and my family, I loved my customers that would come in just because I was working loved working in different and multiple positions!
Challenging and ever changing workplace
Chemical Finance Reporting Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2017
Shell provides you with the opportunity to advance to various positions within the company and to change jobs as opportunities come up. Shell offers employees a great benefits package and excellent pay. The hardest part of the job is dealing with managers that are not flexible. The most enjoyable part of the job is learning new things and working with great people.
Pros
Excellent pay & benefits, paid vacation, free lunches
Cons
management not open to change
Good
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 15, 2017
Shell was a good working environment that motivated its employees to grow. I would recommend others to look into Shell if the opportunity presents itself.
privately owned stations, customers were amazing
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 15, 2017
i work best under pressure and this job brought that out. i learned alot during my years of employment and am very greatful for my experirence while employeed there.
2nd Best Job I Ever Had
Alaska Logistics and Infrastructure Manager (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKSeptember 14, 2017
Fantastic adventure in the most unforgiving environment in the US. Oversaw 9 facilities and 2 business offices In Alaska. Met great people, developed life-long relationships with some the finest people that I have ever met. Memorable experience. Early termination due to the company making an unplanned exodus from Alaska in late 2015. Remained behind as the Transition Logistics manager to close facilities and retrograde equipment. Would go back in a heartbeat if the price of oil recovers to the point that exploration operations again become viable.
Pros
development program, adherence to safety strictures, salary
Cons
Great place to work at in terms of culture.
Learning and Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 14, 2017
Internship was on contract basis so no advancement was offered by Motiva Enterprises. My immediate and higher supervisor were extremely nice and supportive.
Fun place to work where time went by fast.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Friendswood, TXSeptember 13, 2017
I worked the overnight shift by myself, so I was responsible for taking care of everything by myself. Making sure shelves were stocked, coolers were stocked, the bathrooms maintained cleanness, coffee was made, money drops were made on time, swept floor, mopped floor, took out trash inside/outside of gas pumps, and cigarettes were stocked at all times.
Pros
Right down the street from my house.
Cons
Worked by myself
fast pacing cashier
Cashier/Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 13, 2017
A typical day at a gas station can be very hectic and fast paced and if it catches you off guard then it can be very stressful. From being a cashier I learned how to work in a very fast pace environment and how to count money fast and give people the correct change. The hardest part of being a cashier in a fast working environment is that some co workers can be slower than you and customers get upset. The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing you made customers happy by going that extra mile.
Pros
pay, management
Cons
graveyard shift
Competitive environment
Production Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 12, 2017
Shell is a company which is populated by engineers and this is the mindset which predominates. Overall, the work was enjoyable and the pay and benefits were top-notch.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Stressful.
Slow pasted
Cashier/Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albany, GASeptember 11, 2017
It's ok for a pastime job. You have got stay focused so that you don't get robbed , or no on steals. The bad part for me is I worked 6 to 7 days but never got paid for overtime.
n/a
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, SC 29055September 10, 2017
what I enjoy was my customers the most. I learned there will be people that come in and try and make it harder on you. work culture is good. There was nothing hard about my job. My manager was a ok women.
A wonderful place to work
Category MGR(Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2017
The manager that I had at Shell was very helpful, knowledgeable, and approachable. He didn't micro-manage nor, did he let you fail at your job. I can't remember a time if I asked for something that he didn't deliver. Great place to work!
Pros
Great Mgr
Cons
Terrible parking
Demanding with no reward
Cashier, Night Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZSeptember 9, 2017
Manager is in it for the money. Doesn't care about the employees. Assistant Manager is rude and tries to get everyone fired, but doesn't do any work themselves. Night shift is forced to do all the work and then gets reprimanded if you cant get everything done. Complaining to the manger or owner doesn't work they don't care.
Would not recommend to anyone unless you don't mind being yelled at and accused of stealing all the time.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
No Breaks, No Benefits, Lack of Trust, No Communication
stressful and lack of respect for eachother
Cashier/Maintenance Person (Former Employee) –  South Haven, MI 49090September 8, 2017
The work environment was a hostile work environment. Everyone disrespected each other because that's what they saw the manager do. If someone made a mistake the manager would get in their face and yell at them using profanity. That is not right. It lowers employee moral and people become unmotivated to do a good job. People were quitting because of the hostile environment or some would get fired for nonsense. It was very unpleasant working there. It was very fast paced and hard to keep up with the many job responsibilities and it didn't help when the manager kept adding more jobs on to the already hectic work load. I enjoyed working with my fellow coworkers. The sad thing is the owner knows how awful the employees are being treated but says nothing and just turns his back on it.
Pros
my coworkers
Cons
the bad treatment by management toward everyone
Busy enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 8, 2017
It's not a bad job. You have a big responsibility. You are working most the time without break. Your handleling a couple machines at a time. Multitasking is a must.
Pros
No benefits
Cons
No break
Well balanced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  East Bethel, MNSeptember 7, 2017
This was my first job which I had for a little over five years. I couldn't expect much but I do feel I learned a lot of my people skills from this job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval