Shell Employee Reviews in United States

Fast Paced as well as relaxing.
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXMarch 17, 2016
Helping customers with checking and checkout products. While using the cash register learning to handle money. The management was pretty fair understandable with my schedule and very considerate and flexible. The co-workers were pretty relaxed and easy to communicate with as well as being very good at helping with team work. The hardest part of the job was having some customers get angry at me when a situation was out of my control. The most enjoyable part of my job was when customers would tell me im really good at my job i deserve a raise or would try to hire me cause they are a manager at another company and would tell me "I could use someone like you at my company".
It is a corporation that you will always love the fact that you were part of it
Technical Training & Services Development Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYMarch 16, 2016
The best corporation I have ever worked for in terms of establishing work ethics and objectives in a very smart way, clearly specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time wise to always going well.
Pros
Extremely supportive and appraiser, of the people showing energetic assertive self starting, and achieving of their extra mile every second.
Cons
Eventually energetic people is led by human factors that might cause to haste and override steps, that might lead into rut events, that otherwise would have been avoided with the correct, diligent and earnestly collaborative supervision.
Exciting job for entry level professionals
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Began my accounting career with this company 1979. Company provided a competitive salary and superior benefits. Job culture was somewhat lacking in that management did not take advantage of employees' talents. Opportunity for advancement was extremely subjective.
Pros
Employee movement among organizations was very restrictive.
Cons
Great benefits
Shell Lubricants
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Good rate of pay for oil industry. Great benefit package, insurance very expensive. Management is based on friendships and who you know, which causes a lot of upper management to be unqualified to hold their positions or make good decisions. Company is not loyal to long term employees, just a number or statistic to them. No job security at all.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Decent job with low benefits, the atmosphere was fun
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 28, 2015
* Typical day at work consisted of stocking and staying behind a cash register
* I learned how to talk to a different class of people
* Management was decent, could have been better
* My Coworkers were some of the best I have ever worked with, we all took care of each other
* Nothing hard about the job
* The most enjoyable part of the day, looking at the different people that come in and out of the store
Pros
Cons
No benefits, low pay, boring, not much to really do
Great company but needs better and more objective appraisal process
Senior completions and well interventions (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2015
Great company but needs better and more objective appraisal process.
Appraisal process is very subjective and results are decided at 3 levels up in your organization. You need to sell yourself on top of doing your job and adding extra time to accomplish additional things that were not expected as a deliverable of your goals and objectives.
Training is outstanding, if you want to learn from the experts in the industry then join Shell and use the company as a career progression opportunity to grow your technical skills.
I found a lot of good technical engineers doing managerial jobs without having proper leadership skills. It was hard to find people being passionate about leading the people and challenging each other to achieve better results for the company and the individuals.
Pros
training, expert technical support, challenging, tools to do your work.
Cons
Compensation, job bonus, appraisal process.
Good steady job with good benefits.
Ethanol Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 13, 2015
Made most of my money through Overtime which last year I worked over 600+ hours. Work/Life balance is terrible. The only thing that makes my days better is that I work with a GREAT group of people including managers and co-workers. I deal with Norfolk Southern Railroad who is the main reason why the job requires so many hours. They are TERRIBLE having to deal business with. Never on time for anything.
Pros
Free lunches, Safety Bonuses, decent pay, good benefits, 10% 401k match after 9 years of service.
Cons
Long hours and no personal life
For Shell Oil Company, mostly positive
Assist attorneys (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 12, 2015
Whenever money problems arise at the company, people are the first to go.
On the other hand, my clerical position was challenging which I enjoyed. The professionals I supported gave me opportunities to improve my job and I certainly enjoyed gaining new experiences.
The most enjoyable part of my job was not answering the phone as the professionals' phone calls went to an answering service giving me ample time to complete other tasks.
Pros
Good benefits
Very good company to work for but will cut you off if their numbers are not right.
Supply Chain Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 10, 2016
Good company to work for as long as they keep making money. They will cut you off to "down sizing" if their numbers don't come in where they want to be or if you are close to retirement at a young age. No such thing as commitment to long term employees.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
No commitment to employees regardless of tenure
Love Shell
Safety and Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 3, 2016
I love working for a professional environment that encourages hard work and furthering one's education. Great compensation and benefits.
Good benefits, management needs work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Overall, Shell has great benefits and compensation. This becomes the "golden handcuffs" though. Management has been promoted through years of "waiting it out" regardless of skills or expertise. Bad decisions made within senior leadership and executive teams filter to rest of staff through knee jerk reactions and reactive behavior. Contracting staff clean-up much of management's bad decisions and hide many of its mistakes. Shell staff is caught in the middle and play politics to dodge the bad decisions of executive management and senior staff.
A typical day at work
Operator "C" to Temporary Foreman (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, CAOctober 10, 2015
Worked shift work, 12 hours either day or night, received shift from the person I was relieving, gave me the information about the important things happening at the moment, checked the log book to verify what did happened during the previous shift, read the daily orders and went out to check my working area.

If everything was normal, went back to my office and checked the levels of the storage tanks and started passing orders to load and unload railroad cars and started communicating with the distilling units about the storage tanks available for taking feed or receive finished products.

If time available did some housekeeping, If necessary put pumps or tanks out of service by chain lock and tagging, ready for repair or maintenance work.
Pros
good Company, good salary, good benefits
Cons
Shift work changing every week to a different shift
excellent company
KEY ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  greater PhiladelphiaDecember 16, 2015
great company that treats employees with respect and rewards performance. there is an ability to move up but usually require relocation. They are very strong with diversity and safety above all else
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
strong culture of how things are done
Great customers
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Granite Bay, CAJanuary 4, 2016
As far as a typical day, it starts out helping customers and its all good. The manager and co workers are great. There really is no hard part about the job.
Cons
No raises or benefits.
productive fun job
Senior logistics coordinator (Former Employee) –  fourchon laFebruary 19, 2016
great job fantastic hours oil prices are crushing the oil field. enjoyed the job and schedule great pay even though no benifits
Its ok
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Castle, INJanuary 13, 2016
Its a good job depending who you work with the pay sucks and you do not get benefits at all there is a lot of down time that you have nothing to do so its really boring
Pros
you can smoke when your not busy
Cons
you dont get paid that much
Strong Emphasis on Employee Value Proposition
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 2, 2015
Shell provides excellent benefits, opportunities for growth and advancement, and believes in respecting individuals. Safety is the number one priority at Shell. Shell wants all employees and contractors to return home in the same way that they left in the morning. Every person has the responsibility to intervene when they see unsafe activities occurring regardless of level in the organization.

It's by no means a "perfect" company, but it's a much better company than most! If I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely work for Shell again.
Shell Oil Company
Eng Assistant/Shift Supervisor/Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Norco, LAMarch 26, 2016
Without a doubt Shell is the best company to work for by a long-shot. There was so much room for advancement and the working environment was just wonderful. Met some of the smartest operators, Operations, Staff, Engineering and management people in my life.

Really sad when we were sold to UCC. Not a knock on Carbide, it's just that no one can come close to what Shell offered and the way they operated..
Aviation Contract Manager
Aviation Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 11, 2015
Shell is an excellent company to work for and they do take care of their employees. The employees are professional and are great to work with. Pay and benefits are outstanding. It is hard to find an opening given the current climate of the oil industry, but it is worth the effort.
Pros
Pay, benefits, working with other professionals, safety climate, company genuinely cares about its employees
Contractor for this company
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 4, 2015
Did not work for this company as an employee therefore, cannot review the benefits of its employees. Working as a contractor was not bad.
Pros
Great learning opportunity
Cons
Contractor

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.