Shell Employee Reviews in United States

Fast Paced as well as relaxing.
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXMarch 17, 2016
Helping customers with checking and checkout products. While using the cash register learning to handle money. The management was pretty fair understandable with my schedule and very considerate and flexible. The co-workers were pretty relaxed and easy to communicate with as well as being very good at helping with team work. The hardest part of the job was having some customers get angry at me when a situation was out of my control. The most enjoyable part of my job was when customers would tell me im really good at my job i deserve a raise or would try to hire me cause they are a manager at another company and would tell me "I could use someone like you at my company".
Exciting job for entry level professionals
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Began my accounting career with this company 1979. Company provided a competitive salary and superior benefits. Job culture was somewhat lacking in that management did not take advantage of employees' talents. Opportunity for advancement was extremely subjective.
Pros
Employee movement among organizations was very restrictive.
Cons
Great benefits
It is a corporation that you will always love the fact that you were part of it
Technical Training & Services Development Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYMarch 16, 2016
The best corporation I have ever worked for in terms of establishing work ethics and objectives in a very smart way, clearly specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time wise to always going well.
Pros
Extremely supportive and appraiser, of the people showing energetic assertive self starting, and achieving of their extra mile every second.
Cons
Eventually energetic people is led by human factors that might cause to haste and override steps, that might lead into rut events, that otherwise would have been avoided with the correct, diligent and earnestly collaborative supervision.
Shell Oil Company
Eng Assistant/Shift Supervisor/Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Norco, LAMarch 26, 2016
Without a doubt Shell is the best company to work for by a long-shot. There was so much room for advancement and the working environment was just wonderful. Met some of the smartest operators, Operations, Staff, Engineering and management people in my life.

Really sad when we were sold to UCC. Not a knock on Carbide, it's just that no one can come close to what Shell offered and the way they operated..
Shell Lubricants
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Good rate of pay for oil industry. Great benefit package, insurance very expensive. Management is based on friendships and who you know, which causes a lot of upper management to be unqualified to hold their positions or make good decisions. Company is not loyal to long term employees, just a number or statistic to them. No job security at all.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Good benefits, management needs work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Overall, Shell has great benefits and compensation. This becomes the "golden handcuffs" though. Management has been promoted through years of "waiting it out" regardless of skills or expertise. Bad decisions made within senior leadership and executive teams filter to rest of staff through knee jerk reactions and reactive behavior. Contracting staff clean-up much of management's bad decisions and hide many of its mistakes. Shell staff is caught in the middle and play politics to dodge the bad decisions of executive management and senior staff.
Decent job with low benefits, the atmosphere was fun
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 28, 2015
* Typical day at work consisted of stocking and staying behind a cash register
* I learned how to talk to a different class of people
* Management was decent, could have been better
* My Coworkers were some of the best I have ever worked with, we all took care of each other
* Nothing hard about the job
* The most enjoyable part of the day, looking at the different people that come in and out of the store
Pros
Cons
No benefits, low pay, boring, not much to really do
Great Workplace with professional people
Research and Development Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 13, 2016
I work as a contractor for the R and D analytical group. The Shell Tech Center in Houston has a great work environment with a lot of knowledgeable professionals. Work/life balance is nice and the safety culture is real and not fake.
Pros
safety, workload, people
Cons
n/a
Great company but needs better and more objective appraisal process
Senior completions and well interventions (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 9, 2015
Great company but needs better and more objective appraisal process.
Appraisal process is very subjective and results are decided at 3 levels up in your organization. You need to sell yourself on top of doing your job and adding extra time to accomplish additional things that were not expected as a deliverable of your goals and objectives.
Training is outstanding, if you want to learn from the experts in the industry then join Shell and use the company as a career progression opportunity to grow your technical skills.
I found a lot of good technical engineers doing managerial jobs without having proper leadership skills. It was hard to find people being passionate about leading the people and challenging each other to achieve better results for the company and the individuals.
Pros
training, expert technical support, challenging, tools to do your work.
Cons
Compensation, job bonus, appraisal process.
Great Work/Life Balance
human resources (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 19, 2015
At Shell, the work/life balance is an incorporated part of the culture. Some of the downfalls is that to advance there is little direction towards training programs and some management has not been trained to help employees with development.
Pros
9/80 Schedule
Cons
Development Issues
Good steady job with good benefits.
Ethanol Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 13, 2015
Made most of my money through Overtime which last year I worked over 600+ hours. Work/Life balance is terrible. The only thing that makes my days better is that I work with a GREAT group of people including managers and co-workers. I deal with Norfolk Southern Railroad who is the main reason why the job requires so many hours. They are TERRIBLE having to deal business with. Never on time for anything.
Pros
Free lunches, Safety Bonuses, decent pay, good benefits, 10% 401k match after 9 years of service.
Cons
Long hours and no personal life
Shell is a big place but watch out for the Motiva division. Really horrible HR and management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXFebruary 14, 2016
I worked in several divisions over my 10 years at Shell and it wasn't all bad. I was a midlevel professional with some previous supervisory experience. I have been in the oil and chemicals business for more than 30 years and mostly worked for big companies. There is always a lot of variation in each individuals experience in these companies because different plants and supervisors and cultures exist throughout the company. My experience with Shell has gone from okay to terrible and most recently at Motive Port Arthur I have seen corruption, cronyism, and just downright spiteful managers making this place into one that is so full of tension and incompetency that it is likely to blow up someday just like BP Texas City did. If you care about yourself and your family avoid working here. It really isn't worth the money. You will come home so angry and frustrated you won't even be able to look your family in the eyes. It really is that bad. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID !!!
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else including an evil HR and managers who will treat you like a POW
Average job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2016
A good and bad experience, deal with the public and staff. You learn how to handle as a cashier and how you deal with problems. Depending on what the shift is it can be okay or terrible. You sell products, provide gasoline, fill tanks, and do other jobs you should NOT be doing as a cashier. I had to do many things that the lazy management and other employees neglect to do or not care about. Why? because they will blame you if it is not done, even if its not your job or time to do them. I was a cashier, they had me clean cars, put air in tires, do minor repairs, fill propane tanks, wash windows, stock products, and much more by YOURSELF! No one to help you, have to call management if any questions or problems. Not to mention the favoritism and power struggle of the other employees. They do not pay you enough the ridiculousness you have to go through each day.
Pros
Cons
Vandalism, Theft, No breaks, Standing entire shift, Poor treatment, LOW pay, Irresponsible staff and management
excellent company
KEY ACCOUNT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  greater PhiladelphiaDecember 16, 2015
great company that treats employees with respect and rewards performance. there is an ability to move up but usually require relocation. They are very strong with diversity and safety above all else
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
strong culture of how things are done
Productive mornings
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLJune 1, 2016
A typical day at work for me is waking up early at 6am going to the store and awaiting all the regular customers , its always rush hour so i run two registers at the same time working a shift alone , i learned how to be patient with people and handle situations under pressure and get the issue resolved , i learned how to sell products and persuade customers to the new merchandise , write checks , check orders for the store , and put prices on them . the hardest part of the job is trying to restock the orders and run a register . my coworkers are very kind and more then helpful. what i enjoyed about my job was that we worked as a team and the mood was always joyful and friendly .
Pros
free lunch, and drinks .
Cons
short breaks over 40 hours a week
horrible job
Gave GREAT customer service (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJuly 20, 2016
This review doesn't apply to all Shell Gas Stations but the one I worked at was an awful job. Besides my boss, I was the only other working for him. The only good thing about working there was I got more experience in management and hiring management. i got to hire and fire anyone I trained and I also learned how to write checks for our inventory company's that brought in new inventory each week. I worked by myself so when I worked I would open or close by myself and I worked Mon-Sun and the hours and experience i learned was the only thing I could brag about Shell
Pros
as many breaks as long as no customers walked in
Cons
no time off
Great customers
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Granite Bay, CAJanuary 4, 2016
As far as a typical day, it starts out helping customers and its all good. The manager and co workers are great. There really is no hard part about the job.
Cons
No raises or benefits.
Highly competitive workplace
Associate Business Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 17, 2016
Given its scale, Shell is a highly competitive company. Like all players they are currently suffering under a low oil price environment and that shows in how management is navigating the situation. Advancement can be slow.. Complicated systems are the norm and there is a procedure or process for everything. Often, new teams are created for no realistic reason. Overly complicated ways of working has a negative effect on employee morale and lead to a bogged down system. Knowledge inclusive needs a lot of work to be effective.
Fun place and wonderful diverse environment
Sr. Petrophysicist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 12, 2015
1) First day to Houston office with green trees and friendly assistant
2) Team work and enterprise first spirit
3) Great management who value my suggestion and opinion
4) Most co-workers are friendly and supportive
5) Reconcile diverse culture and different kinds of people
6) Business trip to Holland with Delegations
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Health breaks and health care
Love Shell
Safety and Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 3, 2016
I love working for a professional environment that encourages hard work and furthering one's education. Great compensation and benefits.