Shell Employee Reviews in United States

Great workplace, with wonderful people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 7, 2016
This place was a fast paced environment that I was totally naive to, but my wonderful coworkers and managers helped me become great at my job. It was excellent to meet new customers and help them in our store, and I ended up having great regulars who came in sometimes to just say hi! It was a great learning experience and I definitely benefitted from working there.
Pros
Free lunches, Got to work on my own, and got great practice with Customer Service
Cons
No breaks
horrible job
Gave GREAT customer service (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJuly 20, 2016
This review doesn't apply to all Shell Gas Stations but the one I worked at was an awful job. Besides my boss, I was the only other working for him. The only good thing about working there was I got more experience in management and hiring management. i got to hire and fire anyone I trained and I also learned how to write checks for our inventory company's that brought in new inventory each week. I worked by myself so when I worked I would open or close by myself and I worked Mon-Sun and the hours and experience i learned was the only thing I could brag about Shell
Pros
as many breaks as long as no customers walked in
Cons
no time off
Unsecured job site
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phelan, CAJuly 21, 2016
I worked eight hours a day, all holidays, alone from 3pm to 10pm. job duties required me to go outside. I learned what to do if theres a fire at a gas station, what the emergency off switch looks like at all gas stations. management was helpful in very few areas that were minor issues, otherwise, not very attentive. coworkers were very helpful. Going outside at night alone. good hours.
Pros
paycheck
Cons
on your own, no benefits, have to work all holidays.
Highly competitive workplace
Associate Business Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJune 17, 2016
Given its scale, Shell is a highly competitive company. Like all players they are currently suffering under a low oil price environment and that shows in how management is navigating the situation. Advancement can be slow.. Complicated systems are the norm and there is a procedure or process for everything. Often, new teams are created for no realistic reason. Overly complicated ways of working has a negative effect on employee morale and lead to a bogged down system. Knowledge inclusive needs a lot of work to be effective.
Productive mornings
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLJune 1, 2016
A typical day at work for me is waking up early at 6am going to the store and awaiting all the regular customers , its always rush hour so i run two registers at the same time working a shift alone , i learned how to be patient with people and handle situations under pressure and get the issue resolved , i learned how to sell products and persuade customers to the new merchandise , write checks , check orders for the store , and put prices on them . the hardest part of the job is trying to restock the orders and run a register . my coworkers are very kind and more then helpful. what i enjoyed about my job was that we worked as a team and the mood was always joyful and friendly .
Pros
free lunch, and drinks .
Cons
short breaks over 40 hours a week
Great work environment with world-class work...
Designer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMay 10, 2016
A great office atmosphere. Shell hired top-level talent which fostered a great environment for collaborative working. The jobs this office had the opportunity to develop and design were truly world-class and created exciting challenges for everyone that had the opportunity to contribute. Shell always pushed its employees to grow outside of their comfort zone, and they invested in their employees by offering personal, soft-skills development.
Pros
Wellness Reimbursements, Bonuses, People, World Class Projects
Cons
Minimum effort for minimum wage
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Newberg, OR 97132April 12, 2016
Good place to start out, but the employees are entirely unmotivated and the upper management only seems to care about profits, and not whether the store is clean or maintained properly. Things would break quite often, and wouldn't be replaced or fixed for up to 6 months. Contains outside work in all weather conditions.
Pros
Friendly employees, friendly customers, easy work.
Cons
Second and third shift went without breaks despite it being Oregon law, store is in constant disrepair.
Good High School Employer
Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Philomath, ORJuly 19, 2016
I would typical spend my days washing the store, restocking the shelves, and when a car pulled up to the station, my boss would tell me via walkie-talkie and I would then run outside and help the customer.
I mostly worked weekends, but because most of our staff was high school students we had a high turnover, so I also trained a lot of staff.
cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MSJune 27, 2016
standing 8 or more hours , handling cashier , working for people who do not understand that we have kids , work on holidays , the management was great i worked extra hard she was always there to help whenever things could not get finished on time . The hardest part in trying to tell customers they are wrong m
Pros
the pay everyweek
Cons
having to work for little pay
Shell Oil Company
Eng Assistant/Shift Supervisor/Operations Leader (Former Employee) –  Norco, LAMarch 26, 2016
Without a doubt Shell is the best company to work for by a long-shot. There was so much room for advancement and the working environment was just wonderful. Met some of the smartest operators, Operations, Staff, Engineering and management people in my life.

Really sad when we were sold to UCC. Not a knock on Carbide, it's just that no one can come close to what Shell offered and the way they operated..
Very Fair and workable atmosphere
Purchasing Agent/Procurement (Former Employee) –  Morgan City, LAJuly 5, 2016
These 2 companies taught me a lot. It taught me everything from Supply Chain, to Inventory Control, to Purchasing. They also taught me how to get a long and work with with a diverse ray of people.
These companies were never boring to work for.
Pros
Family like atmosphere
Cons
Raises were far and few between
Fast Paced as well as relaxing.
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Kerrville, TXMarch 17, 2016
Helping customers with checking and checkout products. While using the cash register learning to handle money. The management was pretty fair understandable with my schedule and very considerate and flexible. The co-workers were pretty relaxed and easy to communicate with as well as being very good at helping with team work. The hardest part of the job was having some customers get angry at me when a situation was out of my control. The most enjoyable part of my job was when customers would tell me im really good at my job i deserve a raise or would try to hire me cause they are a manager at another company and would tell me "I could use someone like you at my company".
It is a corporation that you will always love the fact that you were part of it
Technical Training & Services Development Chief (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYMarch 16, 2016
The best corporation I have ever worked for in terms of establishing work ethics and objectives in a very smart way, clearly specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time wise to always going well.
Pros
Extremely supportive and appraiser, of the people showing energetic assertive self starting, and achieving of their extra mile every second.
Cons
Eventually energetic people is led by human factors that might cause to haste and override steps, that might lead into rut events, that otherwise would have been avoided with the correct, diligent and earnestly collaborative supervision.
Exciting job for entry level professionals
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2016
Began my accounting career with this company 1979. Company provided a competitive salary and superior benefits. Job culture was somewhat lacking in that management did not take advantage of employees' talents. Opportunity for advancement was extremely subjective.
Pros
Employee movement among organizations was very restrictive.
Cons
Great benefits
Positive Environment to work in
Document Controller (Contracted through Cynet) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2016
The work environment is fast pace. There is a lot of teamwork and communication around the office to meet deadlines. Mangers welcome fresh and bold ideas. Company is open to the millennials beliefs and ideas.
Pros
Great Food Court, Onsite Gym, and other Amenities
long hours, low to avg pay,
Manager Gas N Shop (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 15, 2016
it no longer matters, the company i worked under is no more, they went under after a hostile takeover of the leasing company of the majority of the stores that ripped the leases out from under the company leaving only 6 stores and a heavy debt the stores could not maintain after struggling on for over a year they ended up closing
Leading Staff Effectively
Upstream Americas Commercial Revenue Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2016
working with business operations to improve performance by providing credible, competitive and affordable plans. Offshoring of activities to Financial Operations areas in Chennai, Manila, and Glasgow.
Pros
Compensation Plans
Cons
Internal Job Process
Travel 50-75%
Sr. HSE Tech Arctic Wells LOB (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2016
I traveled around the globe with Shell, They sent me places I never thought I would see. I learned the from all aspects of the job from the field work to the corporate office work. I have investigated and been investigated by just about anyone you could in the oilfield.
I was a contractor from Accenture to Shell Oil.
Lean Instructor and Project Coach (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2016
The Continuous Improvement Team I worked with at Shell Oil was a global team. They worked very hard to get quality people in the program and get them certified as quick as possible. They included me in some of their strategy planning meetings to reduce the certification time. Shell was easy to work with and open to my recommendations to improve their Continuous Improvement program.
Pros
Many good employees selected to be part of the Shell Oil Lean program.
Cons
No Line Managers were accountable to get the Lean projects done on time.
Great co-workers, terrible environment
Ca. Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAMarch 12, 2016
This job was super easy to do, but the safety for one-self was definitely questionable in every way, shape, and form. The management was almost never there and the place wasn't always properly stocked. And the opportunity to ever move up in any way was pretty much non-existent.
Pros
easy job
Cons
questionable safety

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.