Shell Employee Reviews

Great work environment with lots of work
High School Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2017
My experience at Shell has been a positive one. I worked in a department as an intern with hard-working and friendly people so it made work smooth and fun. There is a lot of work that goes into this company so expect to work hard. I personally enjoy working so I didn't it. My supervisor was great and never micro-managed but was always there if I had questions. The location that I worked at also had break rooms and a game room. Overall, Shell is a great company and would not mind returning!
Friendly, productive, supportive atmosphere.
Administrative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILMarch 22, 2017
Work day - Maintaining files for the Engineering division. Provided support in administrative duties.

Management - Worked with the group to better ourselves at work and in our personal life.

Culture - Friendly, supportive, good friends.

Hardest part - When the company moved out of state.

Enjoyable part - Going to work everyday!
Pros
A place to learn and grow, Good benefits, Supportive coworkers
Cons
Dynamic large company with many opportunities for development and career building
Operations SME, Technical Authority, (Former Employee) –  36 Years in 9 Different CountriesFebruary 5, 2017
Large multinational company, providing a multitude of opportunities to explore grow and develop your career, a good employer with a Good reward system, It will require hard work and effort to progress, but opportunities are there. Work facilities and Training, and shared responsibility for Employee, if proven to be capable and ready to perform.
Pros
International assignments, opportunity to have a number of different Jobs, Ample Training provided, Flexibility to perform in different functions.
Cons
Sometimes due to work requirements work life balance is out.
Could have been great! but too many management and culture issues
Refinery Operator (Former Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 22, 2017
Loved the work..even though it was filthy site! The real problem lay in the lack of organization and management. Some of the worst I have ever seen. Chicken to say anything. Too scared of their own shadow, and then the mean ones. They had no training in diversity and no tolerance for anything remotely different than the robots they really wanted. I was sorely disappointed in how bad this became once i was there for awhile. I learned that no matter how good the benefits, it you are sick at heart over how ppl could be treated, then it wasn't worth it. Enjoyed the work, but the backstabbing, and just plain mean culture of the site drove me away.
benefits
Cons
management, cliques, poor HR, and lousy employees abounded
Very helpful,knowledgeable, experience, learning time working with others.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2017
If you are blessed to have the opportunity to work in the department you desire to and learn about the operation of a different type.It would really be a great work experience.
While Operating at Shell I learned a lot about co-gen, hydrogen compressors, electrical power generation and distribution, Plant shut downs and restarts, troubleshooting, Work Place Culture is good. The overtime, bonus checks,pay raises, vacation time, long change 7 days off in a row.
Pros
Overtime Opportunities
Cons
More Vacation Time every 5 years needs to be implimented.
It was very rewarding to me to work with the public.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victorville, CAJanuary 24, 2017
It only thing that it was very hard at times was to be on your feet for 8hrs. On another hand I was able to be helpful to my customers. One time their was a 10 year old in the store for about an hour by him self, so I called the police, it turned out that he had ran away from home and they were looking for him, the hold time I kept my eye on him till the cops came. It was a good feeling to know that everything turned out ok.
Cons
When thier short staff your by your self on your shift and it could be hard.
Very professional work environment
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAFebruary 8, 2017
Perfect balance of work and travel. Exposure to a wide range of equipment for the upstream business. Management was very supportive, yet did not micro-manage. Most enjoyable part of the job was world wide travel to some of the most innovative fabrication facilities in the world. The most difficult thing about the job was managing 30 to 40 PO's at one time.
Pros
Travel
Cons
A lot of time out of the USA
Just a typical job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Stoughton, MAJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at work was cleaning the place and looking for expiration dates. On top of that you had to run back and forth to help the customers. I learned that customers are difficult and you need a lot of patience even though I love to work with people. The co workers and management were not to pleasant to work with. I felt like the managers never treated us well. The best part of my day was when i could connect with my customers.
Its a start in the area of customer service.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, TXFebruary 25, 2017
My experience was great here I met great people In this process. I also learned life lessons here to improve myself in life financially and within my family's responsibility's at home. With this job I was employed with no experience and had more than a job, it was a opportunity to success.
Pros
You have a good time in the work place with the co-workers.
Cons
No breaks.
Worst experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baytown, TXDecember 21, 2016
Got the job. But felt like i was being watched because of my color. I was accused of stealing but when proven wrong i was made to feel as if i was wrong for being right. I could only work one shift and that was overnight. No work was done by any other co workers except for me and three others. There was a lot of favoritism going on as well. Policy after policy being broken and nothing is said about it. But the minute i mess up i have to be coached when apparently we were lacking in supervision and instruction. Wasn't a bad temp job but not anything that i would try to make permanent.
Pros
n/a
Cons
low pay, racial tension, bad hours, bad work enviornment
easy workplace but horrible management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MADecember 20, 2016
A typical day would be an 8 hour straight shift, where you would be the only one working (unless management was in the office) and that means running the register, cleaning, stocking goods, putting away deliveries and helping customers was all your responsibility. The management was very hectic, they answered any questions asked but were also extremely unorganized.
Pros
free coffee or slush puppies if that shell had them
Cons
no breaks and long hours
Secure but scary
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carmel, NYMarch 28, 2017
Working the closing shift is a little intimidating at first because it's late at night and it's a gas station so it can be intimidating because it's late. However, there was security to ensure your safety as an employee and surveillance. Sometimes boring but you can pretty much always find something to do around the store. Whether that be cleaning or restocking.
deal with many people with different attitudes as customer service responsibility.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAMarch 1, 2017
It was customer service job with stocking, making order and checking in groceries. We have to deal with items/grocery supplier companies during discrepancies We have to identify bad and good products or goods and make sure they ok for sale. So it was fun dealing with people.
Pros
NA
Cons
NA
Productive work place with no chance of advancement
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Big Rapids, MIJanuary 29, 2017
The hours are flexible and can be suited to your needs but you only receive one break in a 8 hour shift. The management is very unprofessional. There is no chance for advancement at this location, I would call this a temporary job, not a career.
Pros
free drinks, healthcare, flexible hours
Cons
Short breaks, no advancement
Productive Work Environment
GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day includes completing multiple complex tasks at a high rate of speed with accuracy. Also, sharing my knowledge to others as well gaining and storing GIS knowledge in all area. My capability to mage workloads of others has a proven track record. An enjoyable workplace for me would be a positive environment surrounded by great people.
Fast paced and extremely enjoyable place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Port Charlotte, FLJanuary 10, 2017
This is by far one of the best companies I could have worked for. The management team made me feel like one of the family right from the start. I had the best trainer possible and everything was explained thoroughly. I was at a very fast paced store, that handled greyhound bus tickets and u-haul rentals, and it helped the hours go by.
I loved seeing people and making their days
Manager (Former Employee) –  Arvada, COMarch 9, 2017
I really loved working for this company to be able to put a smile on someone's face and be the reason they come back was a huge compliment in my personality. but personal things came up in my husband's health that needed my full attention so i had to walk away
Pros
they worked with my hours
Cons
there were 2 owners
Challenging enjoyable work enviroment
HSE Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LANovember 14, 2016
I enjoyed the challenges of being the Shell safety supervisor on different offshore assets. It was at times challenging finding different ways to communicate potential hazards to the crews to keep them from becoming complacent. So I would work daily to find examples of incidents related to the work we were engaged in, I believe using visual examples of worst case scenario's would keep the crews attention in the pre-job meetings. I would have to say the hardest part is breaking through to the older guys to accept the ever changing safety procedures. I really enjoyed the challenges of this job but most of all the people I worked with.
Pros
Amazing food, good pay, great personnel
Cons
Being away from home
Great workplace
Cashier/Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  McKee, KYNovember 16, 2016
Working at Shell was a great first job. For me, a typical day at Shell involved working the register, counting money, and filing paperwork. The short time I was at Shell, I learned how to manage a store and caught on quickly. My managers were great to work with as well were my co-workers. Shell was such a great job and I enjoyed everything about it; there was not anything about shell that was hard.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Stocking
Unfortunately this place was not cared for I don't even think that the owner cared for this place let alone its employees
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAJanuary 14, 2017
Not my favorite place to of work but it gave me experience and the manager that ran the place was awesome she herself was a very good person the company itself was the problem for me no holiday pay extra

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.