Shell Employee Reviews in United States

Good benefits, management needs work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
Overall, Shell has great benefits and compensation. This becomes the "golden handcuffs" though. Management has been promoted through years of "waiting it out" regardless of skills or expertise. Bad decisions made within senior leadership and executive teams filter to rest of staff through knee jerk reactions and reactive behavior. Contracting staff clean-up much of management's bad decisions and hide many of its mistakes. Shell staff is caught in the middle and play politics to dodge the bad decisions of executive management and senior staff.
Love Shell
Safety and Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 3, 2016
I love working for a professional environment that encourages hard work and furthering one's education. Great compensation and benefits.
Aviation Contract Manager
Aviation Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 11, 2015
Shell is an excellent company to work for and they do take care of their employees. The employees are professional and are great to work with. Pay and benefits are outstanding. It is hard to find an opening given the current climate of the oil industry, but it is worth the effort.
Pros
Pay, benefits, working with other professionals, safety climate, company genuinely cares about its employees
Its ok
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Castle, INJanuary 13, 2016
Its a good job depending who you work with the pay sucks and you do not get benefits at all there is a lot of down time that you have nothing to do so its really boring
Pros
you can smoke when your not busy
Cons
you dont get paid that much
Great Work/Life Balance
human resources (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 19, 2015
At Shell, the work/life balance is an incorporated part of the culture. Some of the downfalls is that to advance there is little direction towards training programs and some management has not been trained to help employees with development.
Pros
9/80 Schedule
Cons
Development Issues
Fun Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCMarch 16, 2016
I loved the busy traffic that came through. There was teamwork 90% of the time. There was always new people to meet and some loyal customers.
Productive and interesting work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Antioch, CAJanuary 11, 2016
As a cashier at Shell, it was always busy and full of life. I stocked and cleaned the store while operating the register and turning on the gas pumps for the customers.
Pros
Free coffee
productive fun job
Senior logistics coordinator (Former Employee) –  fourchon laFebruary 19, 2016
great job fantastic hours oil prices are crushing the oil field. enjoyed the job and schedule great pay even though no benifits
Fast pace and a fun place to work at.
Service Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  Prior Lake, MNNovember 30, 2015
I started out as a tech and worked my way up to a manager for the store, got to know the customer's and the community have to say the best part of the job is taking care of the customer's needs and seeing them leave happy.
Pros
Cons
N/A
Okay place to work
OB (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 16, 2016
Shell was a great opportunity for me to realize Oil and gas is not for me. I disliked the corporate culture and I lost interest in my work as time kept going. However I did learn useful skills there.
Shell is a big place but watch out for the Motiva division. Really horrible HR and management
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXFebruary 14, 2016
I worked in several divisions over my 10 years at Shell and it wasn't all bad. I was a midlevel professional with some previous supervisory experience. I have been in the oil and chemicals business for more than 30 years and mostly worked for big companies. There is always a lot of variation in each individuals experience in these companies because different plants and supervisors and cultures exist throughout the company. My experience with Shell has gone from okay to terrible and most recently at Motive Port Arthur I have seen corruption, cronyism, and just downright spiteful managers making this place into one that is so full of tension and incompetency that it is likely to blow up someday just like BP Texas City did. If you care about yourself and your family avoid working here. It really isn't worth the money. You will come home so angry and frustrated you won't even be able to look your family in the eyes. It really is that bad. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID !!!
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything else including an evil HR and managers who will treat you like a POW
Challenging environment with a lot of scope to learn
HR Associate (Current Employee) –  Doha, DAWSeptember 23, 2015
Working at Qatar shell has provided a great platform to learn a lot of new skills and taught me the power of networking. The exposure I got by working with a 1200 employee work force has enhanced my employee relations, communication skills and problem solving skills. To work at the world largest GTL plant was itself an amazing experience!
Pros
Free & variety lunches
Cons
Long travel to site
A typical day at work
Operator "C" to Temporary Foreman (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, CAOctober 10, 2015
Worked shift work, 12 hours either day or night, received shift from the person I was relieving, gave me the information about the important things happening at the moment, checked the log book to verify what did happened during the previous shift, read the daily orders and went out to check my working area.

If everything was normal, went back to my office and checked the levels of the storage tanks and started passing orders to load and unload railroad cars and started communicating with the distilling units about the storage tanks available for taking feed or receive finished products.

If time available did some housekeeping, If necessary put pumps or tanks out of service by chain lock and tagging, ready for repair or maintenance work.
Pros
good Company, good salary, good benefits
Cons
Shift work changing every week to a different shift
Great customers
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Granite Bay, CAJanuary 4, 2016
As far as a typical day, it starts out helping customers and its all good. The manager and co workers are great. There really is no hard part about the job.
Cons
No raises or benefits.
great place to work
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER SUMMER INTERN (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LANovember 5, 2015
completely enjoyed working for this company. great management. Helpful co-workers. Pleasant environment. Interesting and rewarding work. Worked on offshore rigs a couple of times which was dangerous.
Pros
great environment
Cons
offshore rigs are dangerous
shell and skills
Manger (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 28, 2015
once I start working at shells things was so easy to me because I came into the business with lots of skills to show off that I have learn from 711. The co-workers and customer love me because I would turn a sad face to a smile before leaving the store. They owner couldn't believe someone like me at a young age new how to do so much and catch on so easy. so soon or later I move on up
The best in customer service provider.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 18, 2015
This is one of the companies that I have ever worked for. They provide excellent customer service 24 hours per day; and their stores are always properly sanitized. In conclusion, I would give this company 5 stars without hesitating,
Pros
Organized and stable work hours.
Cons
None.
The owner does not care about his station
owner (Former Employee) –  Eldersburg, MDJanuary 17, 2016
owner does not supply things needed for the job
station is falling apart
Bathroom never gets cleaned
owner pays most employees under the table
cooked alot and enjoyed it
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Graham, WAJanuary 28, 2016
Love the customers, the daily routine of cooking and helping customers, be it pumping propane, tending gas, sorting the mail, or cooking.
Strong Emphasis on Employee Value Proposition
Multiple Positions (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasSeptember 2, 2015
Shell provides excellent benefits, opportunities for growth and advancement, and believes in respecting individuals. Safety is the number one priority at Shell. Shell wants all employees and contractors to return home in the same way that they left in the morning. Every person has the responsibility to intervene when they see unsafe activities occurring regardless of level in the organization.

It's by no means a "perfect" company, but it's a much better company than most! If I had to do it all over again, I'd definitely work for Shell again.