Shelter Distribution Employee Reviews

Beware
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MoJanuary 5, 2014
Many good employees have fallen into this trap. There is no such thing as job security in this industry. You will be lied to, promised job security and advancements, and then laid off. Otherwise you will be required to do the lying. You will be managed by insecure toddlers who believe they have an obligation to disregard anyone with potential, experience, or intuition who will not be their tool. They will not enforce safety rules unless you get hurt, so you must be on top of safety for yourself. There are many other cons about this profession. The one good thing is the probability that this job ad is just an attempt to gather resumes so they can feed their ego and then disregard the resumes and hire or promote whichever relative or best drinking buddy they have already chosen for the position. So hopefully no more good people will fall into this nightmare. I'm speaking from personal experiences. My experiences are my own. Make your own decisions but proceed with caution.
Pros
its better than working as a janitor in a mexican prison.
Cons
they haven't went out of business yet
great place but temp
Seasonal Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOAugust 8, 2013
a wonderful place to work but very temporary. only a couple of months temp
Sales and goal driven environment
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 11, 2013
The things I enjoy most about this job are often the same thing as what I like least. It is definitely a challenging atmosphere, and the only way to succeed is to continue to push yourself to learn and do more. At the same time, the reason it is this way is there is a constant shortage of employees. On any given day, I might start in the office but quickly have to stop everything I'm doing to go make a delivery or run the warehouse while Warehouse Manager makes a delivery.
Probably the thing I like least is how often the days plans get changed in an effort to satisfy a customers needs while balancing not having a properly staffed delivery team. However, I enjoy knowing that I and my co-workers will do anything we can to get the job done, and branch manager is there to help as often as possible. Being a department manager for two years has taught me a lot about people and myself, and I constantly seek ways to improve myself and my company in whatever ways possible.
There are three of us who have worked together at this branch for almost nine years, and the camaraderie we share is great. We often know what the other is thinking or needing without having to communicate it, but our ability to communicate with each other is excellent as well.
Pros
challenging; thrives on organization;
Cons
severe understaffing, sometimes incredibly long hours, company seems to need an ee to sacrifice personal life to advance career
Former Driver
CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 29, 2013
Driver pay was the only good thing this company had going for it. Training was non-existent, learn as you go. Safety was not important to this company at all. Trucks had major problems, but company continued to use them, even after being warned of problems. Expect to work 12-14 hours straight with no breaks. Moral is very low. I came close to violating my 14 hour clock several times. If you value your CDL DO NOT HIRE ON with this company. Had to quit not worth the CSA points.
Pros
pay
Cons
safety
no advancement
Driver (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJune 12, 2013
Prepare to be micro-managed like never before, and don't let them fool you with all of the safety talk because no matter how unsafe something is you'll be expected to do it. Poor vehicle maintenance, and no promotion opportunities, they will hire someone with no idea how to do the job to tell you how to do it.YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.
Pros
benifits
Cons
new manager every year
Really good people to work with, always joking and helpful if you need it
Straight Truck Driver, Boom Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 7, 2013
This was a really good job, good health benefits, 401 K, Long Term and Short Term Disability, Dental and good vacation time at least up until the housing market dropped out from under us.
Pros
we had christmas parties, a lot of cook outs at the company during a work day to drum up the roofers business
Cons
sometimes had to many hours, not enough time to eat lunch or take a decent vacation, and usually doing 11 to 12 hour days
Exterior Building Products Distributior
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Des MoinesJanuary 9, 2013
I work with contractors and Home builders on roofing, siding and windows.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
slower in winter
Runs Lean and work is steady
Assistant Credit Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 4, 2013
My typical day at work is never the same. Working in the Roofing Business is very intersting and fast pace work environment. Two things I love because it is always busy.

2.8