Shelter Insurance Employee Reviews

Fun and highly recommended
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Shawnee Mission, KSApril 15, 2017
As my first job, I learned a lot and gained a lot of knowledge. I was taught skills one would learn later in life as opposed to as a younger person would. It was challenging and highly educational.
Good Company to work for
Underwriter associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia MOApril 4, 2017
After you have learned the job, you are on your own. I really did like my job. I assisted the underwriters, talk to agents trying to solve problems with auto and home policies.

We had good breaks.

We had good health care.

I just decided to retire at 62 1/2 yrs old to open another door in my life.

The hardest part of the job is talking to the customer and trying to explain to them the problem with their policy such as a price increase or a fire protection rate change.
Pros
good place to work with profit sharing
Cons
just have to be exact with your work, work well with the agents because without them you wouldn't have a job.
Ui developer
UI Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 20, 2017
A pleasant work environment with good company ethics and place where we have chance to learn new technologies. The most enjoyable part is going to team launches.
Pros
free launches, bonus
Laid back
Sales/Assistant (Current Employee) –  Independence, MOFebruary 8, 2017
Checking all emails for underwriter needs.
Answer all phone calls and perform the task that are needed.
Check on lapsed policies and call our insureds to get reinstated.
Input new quotes into the system.

All aspects of the Insurance business.
Proficient with Word and Excell.
Working with people

Very knowledgeable and fun to work for.

Market Driven

Explaining to upset customers rate increases.

Working with a wide variety of people and helping them with their needs.
Small System IS Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 18, 2017
Good Friendly environment to work in. Well paced work flow, and the staff really make you feel welcome and wanting to help. Good benefits and good salary.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MO 65203January 15, 2017
Atmosphere is great, great benefits. A lot of micromanaging in the Customer Service Department, very little freedom. Software is all over the place, tools and resources to do the job need a major overhaul. Overall, friendly environment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Very little freedom
Antiquated Culture with Bad Management
Agent (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 18, 2016
Marketing department is antiquated with little to no marketing or advertising to support agents. Shelter rates are only competitive in rural zip codes as underwriting is skewed drastically to favor rural property and casualty business. Hiring managers are older and clueless on actual sales opportunity in 2016 insurance industry. Company needs to overhaul management and marketing department and bring in younger talent.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, antiquated procedures
Job Security
Material Damage Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Edmond, OKDecember 18, 2016
Always busy, good culture. Management is good as well. Workload is always heavy and little help is available when it's busy. It's important to be mobile when it comes to career opportunities.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
heavy workload
Productive Workplace
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, AR 72204August 16, 2016
I am responsible for answering in bound phone calls and entering any data into the computer like your basic add change and deletes. I interact with customers that enter the office. Its a small office. Its just me and my manager. There is nothing hard about my job and everyday is pretty much enjoyable.
Good buy not great....
IT Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 17, 2016
....and will never improve under current leadership. In-bred, closed circle of mediocre managers made up of golf buddies and butt kissers.
Pros
Profit Sharing
Cons
No leadership
I do not wish to provide
Resident Material Damage Adjuster - A3 (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 23, 2016
Under the general supervision of the Nashville, Tennessee Claims Management Office, investigate,
analyze, evaluate, and settle insurance claims involving property and some automobile material damage
losses. Determine value of a claim and negotiate settlements within limits of authority, in accordance
with established procedures and consistent with legal and contractual obligations. Assigned duties with
regard to catastrophe teams for auto and property losses. Specialize in adjusting claims with a high
degree of physical inspection.
Pros
I do not wish to provide.
Cons
I do not wish to provide.
Laid back environment with good work life balance.
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 11, 2016
Been working here for about a year and so far its been awesome. They really helped me get settled when I first joined and are eager for you to learn and improve your skill set. Benefits are great and pay is competitive. My only complaint is that management could be more organized. I've changed supervisors 3 times and they all weren't too familiar with what my team was supposed to be working on.
management has no morals or care for agents
Agent (Former Employee) –  MissouriMay 1, 2016
worked for them 8 yrs and was released from my contract with no explanation of why or care for what they do to their agents... no forewarning.. never on probabtion and ran a profitiable agency for 8 yrs..... work at your risk... they will bite the hand that feeds them
Pros
little contact with management
Cons
management
Flexible great place to work
Agent, office manager (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MSFebruary 15, 2016
Customers were great. Management was great and very helpful. a great place to learn how to management time and needs of customers.
Lots of paperwork
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 26, 2016
This is a good job if you can do hours of paperwork. Also you have to deal with a lot of insureds who think your only job is to pay them as little as possible. The other adjusters are great and very helpful but the upper management will give you very little help.
Pros
Family friendly
Cons
Very little help
Laid back place to work
Temporary Secretary (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IADecember 8, 2015
The agent I worked for was getting ready to move on to a new job and my job was only a temporary one. It was a little difficult only having myself and the agent working in the office. I prefer larger companies with more employers.
Pros
I could work at my own pace.
Cons
Very small office and atmosphere.
Bridge job rewarding
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2015
I worked here as I was trying to fulfill the calling in my life.. I was made office manager very quickly, and had to learn on the fly. I could have used more training but fell into my position quickly. Helping people to solve their issues, showed me the direction that I wanted to pursue.
Pros
Helping people with their needs
Cons
I would suggest a longer training period.
Amazing place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yorkville, ILNovember 4, 2015
I held an office assistant position in the Yorkville, IL location. Management was always positive and professional. She did things by the book. Before I resigned she said, "You have great potential." She sees the good in employees and encourages them to reach their full potential. She is very knowledgeable in the business and is always seeking the best options for her customers. I highly recommend people to work for her and to get their auto/house insurance from her. She is honest, very few people are like that in this world especially in that field.
Pros
Working with an amazing insurance agent!
Cons
I did not work full time & they do not offer me health care.
Unskilled Product Training, Negative Management. Company ran by UW
Agent, Licensed Life/Health Property/Casualty (Former Employee) –  ArkansasOctober 5, 2015
Agents are put in the field after having to attend 2 10 day training camps in Columbia Missouri. No product knowledge is given at training and is like going to a Mickey Mouse Club show with people actually dressing up in skits. Absolutely ridiculous. If you are fresh out of high school and have absolutely no idea about sales in the work place this might be the training for you. Company is incestual - meaning husbands and wifes, sisters, uncles, aunts cousins all work here. If you are related to someone at Shelter (corporate) in Missouri you have a job, Even if your background or skill does not warrant it. And trust me there are many people in positions that have no idea what they are doing or zero skill in Management or Sales or Underwriting Then, Management in the field is NEGATIVE and UNPROFESSIONAL and there is absolutely no positive feedback or constructive criticism to help you build an agency. In fact if you are struggling to succeed and working 60 hours a week, They (manager) will literally tell you to leave and find another job! Any promise of a contract is a joke and the requirements are mostly unatainable so good luck there. There have been people who worked without a contract, (no renewals) for over 8 to 10 years, some were fired after putting in the time to the company and the field and a few were finally contracted after threatening to leave. They simply DO NOT support agents in the field and do not care how long an agency is sitting vacant. I would not recommend this company on any level. There is no comraderie, zero motivation from management and you  more... do not have a voice on change or barely rating, quoting and writing business. The underwriters run the company and will return premium and close accounts on a daily basis,It is left up to them and they have the power to make those decisions even if it is not warranted. The computer programming for rating accounts goes down constantly as it was built by the corporate office and has so many flaws they (servicing) cannot keep up with it. This company just isn't a great place to work for it is a constant battle and is so disapointing and disheartening on so many levels. Save your time and energy for a job that is going to satisfy you and help you succeed- life is too short!  less
Pros
Do not actually have to see Upper management much
Cons
Too many to list.
Great Work environment
TEMPORARY ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, ARSeptember 22, 2015
Fast paced work environment. I learned something new everyday. I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to have worked for Shelter Insurance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shelter Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval