Shelter Insurance Employee Reviews

Stressful and poor management
Agent (Former Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 14, 2018
poor leadership/management (always made promises of additional training, but never followed through). Stressful environment also due to poor management.
Pros
potential income
Cons
poor management
Depends on the Agency
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Eureka, MOFebruary 14, 2018
The agent I worked with was great. Good day time hours. No benefits. Nice clean friendly office and working environment. I would recommend this position.
Great insurance agent to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midwest City, OKJanuary 30, 2018
my agent was great to work for, just not enough pay so had to switch jobs. atmosphere was great and fast paced so your days fly by. great opportunity to learn about insurance and they pay to take the licensing test.
Nice atmosphere and Manager
Insurance Sales Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, ILJanuary 18, 2018
It has been a long time since I worked there, but the Agent I worked for was a very good boss. I had small children at the time and he was very flexible when I needed time off
Great place.
Insurance Secretary (Former Employee) –  Corning, ARJanuary 17, 2018
Shelter is one of the best places to work! Great management and they get you the best rates possible. I absolutely loved working at shelter the time I did.
Pros
Everything.
Cons
None.
Must work independently
Agency Representative / Agency Assistant /Agent (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSDecember 31, 2017
Great product! Great company! All agencies are independent. My last supervisor - very unprofessional and unconcerned, very much an oddity in my experience. Again, Great, upstanding company!
Awesome Job
Insurance Affiliate Agent (Current Employee) –  Bryant, ARNovember 30, 2017
I never thought I'd grow to like insurance but this is by far the best job I've had. I enjoy helping other people which is all apart of the game. I've learned quite a lot and have grown to understand how to better accommodate my customers
The best Job by far.
Claim Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thompson's Station, TNOctober 23, 2017
Claim Assistants are given many responsibilities but the co-workers and environment of this office motivates a person to do there very best. The employees were kind, respectful and humorous individuals. They have an amazing work ethic and they all strive for the same purpose to help others as best they can. Everyday you learn new things and adopt new skills. The great team in Shelter, not only helps insureds and claimants but they also help the other staff members. They are patient, understanding and tactful. As a person one can grow and be the very best version of themselves, when they are given this kind of treatment and show a humble attitude to learn. By far this is the best place to work.
Pros
Benefits, Pay rates, Stable Hours, great work enviorment
Cons
Too much work.
Wonderful place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 11, 2017
Great place to work with amazing benefits, good management, great training, good advancement opportunities if you want to continue in insurance. Overall I recommend Shelter as an employer.
Productive place to work at
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  MississippiOctober 10, 2017
It has a nice feel to it. The company is very laid back, but expects you to do you work. It is easy work, and is easy to learn. It can be very fun and a nice time with employees.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Sitting down all day
Low Wages for the amount of Work
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NESeptember 28, 2017
They tell you that it's your own business, but it's not. You're a W2 employee. They can fire you at any time. You put in way too many hours for the amount of work you put in. The company is a good company, the structure just needs to be different. The manager I had, lied to me about a lot of things. I was way too trusting. I should have got things in writing.
Very fun and stress free enviroment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, TNSeptember 13, 2017
A typical day there was made up of answering phones and assisting customers as they came in and out of the office. I very much enjoyed working there, however it was just a temporary job.
It was a stable job.
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ArkansasSeptember 5, 2017
The work place was fun for several years, but things changed with managers. Some of the new procedures were redundant and time consuming. Some of the managers were vindictive and sexist. I felt more like a number than a person, and while the benefits package is nice, the pay was low for the industry.
Pros
up to 4 weeks of vacation, profit sharing
Cons
redundant procedures, difficult managers, low pay for the industry
Very good company to work for.
Claims Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Ballwin, MOAugust 25, 2017
Shelter Insurance is a very nice place to work, the culture is good, opportunities for advancement and further education are good. Seems like a very solid company that cares about not only the employees but the communities that they interact with.
Pros
Treats Employees Fairly, Very Involved in the Communities they do business in
Cons
None that I can think of.
Great company that takes care of their employees
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 17, 2017
Everyday you learn something new. Get company discounts and great pay. Great support team when you need help. Love how involved Shelter stays with the community.
Pros
Always something to do and if your at home office they have a yummy cafeteria
Cons
Face to face interaction with people doesn't happen except with co-workers.
Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 11, 2017
Loved everything about working at Shelter. It was only an internship but it felt like I was doing more than what a typical intern would be doing. It felt like the work I was doing actually mattered.
Pros
Great resume builder
Cons
Not a lot of action
Work
Sr. J2EE FULL STACK Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 3, 2017
Good work culture
good process flow
good collegues
good facilities
No pressue
Excellent environment to work
Great benefits and pay. I also like the opportunities to work in the community to give back.
Slow paced
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  PhilaJuly 28, 2017
Not ideal I did not enjoy working here at all. There was always something going on and I was the only one there that did any work. I worked on a seconds notice with no extra pay.
Good Company
Agency Representative (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 24, 2017
Some agencies pay for you to get trained. Make sure that the agent who owns the franchise knows what to do to get you off to a good start. They need to register you with the company, have you complete some online training, get you a company laptop, order business cards, and get an image approved of you for use in company literature.
Strong Leadership, Great people and a growing company that values it's employees
Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MO 65203July 19, 2017
This is the best place I have ever worked during my 40 years of employment. The co-workers, the management, the training, the principals they don't jut talk about but actually practice on a daily basis make this a place you will want to work. Could not give them a higher rating.