Shelter Insurance Employee Reviews in United States

Laid back environment with good work life balance.
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMay 11, 2016
Been working here for about a year and so far its been awesome. They really helped me get settled when I first joined and are eager for you to learn and improve your skill set. Benefits are great and pay is competitive. My only complaint is that management could be more organized. I've changed supervisors 3 times and they all weren't too familiar with what my team was supposed to be working on.
management has no morals or care for agents
Agent (Former Employee) –  MissouriMay 1, 2016
worked for them 8 yrs and was released from my contract with no explanation of why or care for what they do to their agents... no forewarning.. never on probabtion and ran a profitiable agency for 8 yrs..... work at your risk... they will bite the hand that feeds them
Pros
little contact with management
Cons
management
Amazing place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yorkville, ILNovember 4, 2015
I held an office assistant position in the Yorkville, IL location. Management was always positive and professional. She did things by the book. Before I resigned she said, "You have great potential." She sees the good in employees and encourages them to reach their full potential. She is very knowledgeable in the business and is always seeking the best options for her customers. I highly recommend people to work for her and to get their auto/house insurance from her. She is honest, very few people are like that in this world especially in that field.
Pros
Working with an amazing insurance agent!
Cons
I did not work full time & they do not offer me health care.
Laid back place to work
Temporary Secretary (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IADecember 8, 2015
The agent I worked for was getting ready to move on to a new job and my job was only a temporary one. It was a little difficult only having myself and the agent working in the office. I prefer larger companies with more employers.
Pros
I could work at my own pace.
Cons
Very small office and atmosphere.
Bridge job rewarding
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 4, 2015
I worked here as I was trying to fulfill the calling in my life.. I was made office manager very quickly, and had to learn on the fly. I could have used more training but fell into my position quickly. Helping people to solve their issues, showed me the direction that I wanted to pursue.
Pros
Helping people with their needs
Cons
I would suggest a longer training period.
Older company with poor technology and support.
Agency Owner (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNSeptember 21, 2015
Spend the day prospecting for new clients.
Not to start your own agency.
District and Regional Managers were good folks but not supportive.
Other agents helpful.
The hardest part of the job was their rates were not competitive.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the independence to do your own deal.
Pros
Independent work enviroment.
Cons
Did not have competitive rates.
Flexible great place to work
Agent, office manager (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, MSFebruary 15, 2016
Customers were great. Management was great and very helpful. a great place to learn how to management time and needs of customers.
Great coworkers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVSeptember 22, 2015
Shelter started off being a great place to work. It's a small company and they value their customers. The call center is going through lots of changes and a lot of people are leaving.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
Growth potential
Safe and nurturing atmosphere.
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INAugust 22, 2015
I enjoyed meeting and helping people. I loved the safe and nurturing atmosphere. The hardest part is that there was no chance for raises or benefits.
Pros
Safe & nurturing atmosphere.
Cons
no chance for raises or benefits.
Great Work environment
TEMPORARY ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, ARSeptember 22, 2015
Fast paced work environment. I learned something new everyday. I am extremely thankful for the opportunity to have worked for Shelter Insurance.
No benefits
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Midwest City, OKAugust 11, 2015
Loved working with the agent, they just didn't have any benefits. I couldn't work enough hours to make a living. The customer were truly a delight, loved trying to help them
Pros
Great Agents
Cons
no benefits
Great manager
o Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, NESeptember 10, 2015
is a great place to work, leniant hours, great manager. overall nice environment. calming atmosphere. great customers
Great company to work for
Agent Assistant (Former Employee) –  Collinsville, ILApril 10, 2015
Open offices, face to face customer contact, excellent co-workers. The hardest part of this job was having to say good-bye to the cliental and to my boss when our office location closed. In that small office everyone was family.
Pros
Daily customer one on one visits
Cons
No health insurance for family members
Great boss, flexiable with my daughters schedule.
Sales/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Olive Branch, MSMay 21, 2015
Great boss, great location. I have been taught lots about insurance. I can write a policy, take payment, handle claim, file claim, make policy changes.
Cons
Low pay with high expectations and demands
Boring day to day and corporate office hasn't a clue
Managing Agent (Former Employee) –  Bartlett, TNOctober 13, 2014
Product mix is very conservative with higher prices than competition. Strict underwriting make it difficult to sell new business. Corporate office is out of touch and could care less how there changing underwriting, pricing and compensation policies affect the agency force.
Pros
autonomy
Cons
lack of support
Beautiful office, lots of quoting for various insurances. Phone and inperson contact with perpective clients
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 19, 2013
Only contact with management once a month. Left alone to do your job. Learned new software and contact management programs.

The most enjoyable part of the job. Took responsibility for myself. Made Sales. Had support to call for any technical help.
The hardest part of the job. Extremely intense administrative work for long periods of time.
Pros
paid expenses, monthly office meetings dinning out
Cons
intense administrative work.
Great work-life balance but challenging
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  ILJuly 6, 2014
Shelter is a good insurance company to start an insurance career. It has solid products and a good claims department. Like any other insurance, it is difficult to build a book of business but worth it if you can do it.
Pros
base salary, work-life balance
Cons
only benefit offered is health insurance, conservative life underwriting
Fun creative working environment with excellent technology
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 4, 2012
As the receptionist at Shelter Insurance, I was the first impression to all clients visiting the office. I greeted all clients and made sure their experience with our staff was one of the best they have ever had. I was responsible for preparing documents, mail, bookeeping, and all other general front office duties.

This office was very small consisting of myself and the manager which made meeting deadlines challenging at times. However, the manager was excellent and was reasonable with all requests and criticisms.
Part - time work
Office/Residential/Rental properties (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 25, 2012
Office -answered phones, messages,mail, clean building,entryway, restrooms
Residential - cleaned resident 100% satisaction upstairs and downstairs
Rental Properties - clean property inside and outside grounds and mowed,weed elated. Pulled carpets and replaced, wash walls and sanded, applied paint and made ready for new tenants.
Pros
enjoyed working
Cons
not enough work to keep me busy full time
Life as an insurance agent
Insurance Agent/Producer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 10, 2015
Insurance industry is a tricky and finicky animal. A lot was promised but never delivered. Time and effort put in for the pay never made any sense.