Shelter Insurance

Shelter Insurance United States Employee Reviews

Life as an insurance agent
Insurance Agent/Producer (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, COFebruary 10, 2015
Insurance industry is a tricky and finicky animal. A lot was promised but never delivered. Time and effort put in for the pay never made any sense.
rewarding career
Agent (Former Employee), Pleasant Hill, MOJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: professional setting
Cons: being the messenger when company cancels
Insurance is such a diverse career! While not every day is the same, meeting and getting to know customers is very rewarding. Thorough reviews of clients needs are highly important to ensure proper coverage is provided to protect their assets/lives in the event of a loss. However there are tough times when having to be the messenger and notify clients of company cancellations. I would say the most enjoyable part of working in the insurance field is when at the end of the day, I have given each client my full attention to their needs and when I receive their phone call to inform me of a loss, I can say, "you are covered."
Boring day to day and corporate office hasn't a clue
Managing Agent (Former Employee), Bartlett, TNOctober 13, 2014
Pros: autonomy
Cons: lack of support
Product mix is very conservative with higher prices than competition. Strict underwriting make it difficult to sell new business. Corporate office is out of touch and could care less how there changing underwriting, pricing and compensation policies affect the agency force.
Small agency with a family feel.
Agent (Former Employee), Somerset, KYOctober 3, 2014
Pros: management was very easy to work with.
Cons: small agency with not much room for growth.
Loved my time there. Hardest job I have ever left. As long as you work hard and treat the customers well, things will be great.
Not great
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Longmont, COAugust 10, 2014
Expectations for production were not very realistic in today's market.
Excellent company to work for!
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Concordia, KSJuly 23, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: low pay for a smaller town.
This specific company was a great company to work for, it was just not the right fit at this time for me.
Great work-life balance but challenging
Insurance Agent (Current Employee), ILJuly 6, 2014
Pros: base salary, work-life balance
Cons: only benefit offered is health insurance, conservative life underwriting
Shelter is a good insurance company to start an insurance career. It has solid products and a good claims department. Like any other insurance, it is difficult to build a book of business but worth it if you can do it.
Insurance
Customer Service Insurance Representative (Current Employee), Jonesboro, ARMay 8, 2014
Cons: no advancement of raises
Answers phone, quote customers, take payments, work alone
Great Company
Claims Supervisor (Current Employee), Franklin, TNMarch 7, 2014
Great place to work. Friendly people and excellent benefits.
laid off
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), IndianaFebruary 20, 2014
I kept getting laid off due to finances at this job. I did enjoy the work. My insurance license has expired.
Great people, great environment
Customer Service/Quality Control (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: everyone very helpful
Cons: none that i can think of
Learned more about insurance than I thought I would ever know, great training program. Everyone in the office is super helpful.
Wonderful atmosphere, fun and enjoyable.
Secertary (Current Employee), Crocker, MOOctober 9, 2013
Pros: working with the bosses
Cons: no cons
I learned more about my customers and co-workers, was a comfortable place to work.
Great atmosphere
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee), Columbia, MOAugust 29, 2013
Everybody that you work with here is extremely nice and helpful.
I learned how to use AutoCAD and how to make access badges here.
A bit too slow paced for me
Claims Assistant (Current Employee), Springdale, ARAugust 19, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: to many to list
I feel as though I am limited and not given enough work to keep me busy and feel held back and feel as though the company does not want me to fully succeed.
Beautiful office, lots of quoting for various insurances. Phone and inperson contact with perpective clients
Account Executive (Former Employee), Henderson, NVJune 19, 2013
Pros: paid expenses, monthly office meetings dinning out
Cons: intense administrative work.
Only contact with management once a month. Left alone to do your job. Learned new software and contact management programs.

The most enjoyable part of the job. Took responsibility for myself. Made Sales. Had support to call for any technical help.
The hardest part of the job. Extremely intense administrative work for long periods of time.
Nice environment to work in, had a great boss.
Office Manager (Former Employee), Jonesboro, ARMay 13, 2013
I ran the front office. Typical day of work included quoting insurance to potential customers and explaining policies to new customers. I also helped existing customers with any questions or concerns.
Disappointed
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Lee's SummitMarch 16, 2013
Pros: after about 6 months, your schedule gets better.
Cons: low morale, little to no advancement, no set schedules, uncompetitive pay
Very disappointed to see that the Supervision in Shelter Customer Services does not care about their employees. When I interviewed I was happy to be part of the team until I started working there. There is no team. Very disorganized. Very out of touch/Not current/Old fashioned mentalities. They say that they "expect high turnover" and it is apparent. There are great employees/people that they are loosing at a very fast rate and they do not care. They post positions because they are replacing, not because they are growing. People are not getting fired, they are leaving. You are not a asset to their company you are there to fill a seat. You are bottom of the barrell and unappreciated. You will never hear that you are doing a good job, no pats on the back, you will only hear from a Supervisor if they have something negative to tell you. You are not promoted to the next level because you are good at what you do, it is only if there is a "need" to promote you. There is little (one step up) to no advancement in the Kansas City (Lee's Summit) call center. Upper level management, Management, Supervision, Human Resources are not aware how unhappy anyone is because they never take the time to ask us. Clueless. Unless someone gets lucky, finds other employment and just so happens to get a exit interview will anyone get heard and changes are never made. Other departments are happy with very little turn over, so it is probably a good company, just a horribly run department. Worst place I have ever worked. It's convenient to home and looking from the outside-in, I would have never expected to be this unhappy. I go there, collect my paycheck and keep my mouth shut to stay off the radar. At this point I am looking to get out even if it means my commute will be longer. :(
Minus 5 star company
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Crawfordsville, INFebruary 4, 2013
Cons: too many to list
Good place to work if you want to get screwed. I worked there for 12 years as an agent. They terminated my contract before I was benefit eligible. No reason was ever given to me, so good luck with your Fantastic Shelter Insurance career.
Not a good choice
Agent (Former Employee), Midwest City, OkFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: flexibility
Cons: get 300 xdates each month. constantly being asked to write more life insurance. not competitive
This Midwest City Agency has turned over many times in the last couple of years. Clients are not happy. Many rate increases. Not competitive in P&C, Writing Life Insurance is the way to make up for that. The existing clients have been beat up with Life Insurance.
Productive and Fun work place
Receptionist (Former Employee), Derby, KSJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: hands on and customer interactions
Cons: not alot of time for breaks
I loved this job because it was all hands on and I didn't have to just sit around. I could do basically anything to help get the store looking like it was expected too.

About Shelter Insurance

Maslow's hierarchy of needs didn't include insurance, but once you have shelter, you might want Shelter Mutual Insurance. The – Read more

Shelter Insurance Salaries