Sheltering Arms Children and Family Services, Inc. Employee Reviews

non productive and back ward place to work.
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Ozone Park, NYJanuary 5, 2018
Management misappropriates and lies about governmental funds. They do not spend the funds on DDS, Foster Care, or OPWDD clients as mandated by contracts. Human Resources Director, CFO and ED totally incompetent and does not run the programs very well.

The Board of Trustees need to revamp the organization and hire more competent people.

Very little vacation and fringe benefits offered.

Horrible place to work would not recommend to anyone. They do not value their employees and clients.
Pros
Cons
Short break, cut throat, incompetent management
Poor culture and workplace morale
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 17, 2017
Everything about this position screams “let’s be our best selves to influence the lives of the children n” & instead you have grown adults who hate themselves watching children who are crying just sitting with their other coworkers laughing ,adults being catty with one another for the sake of getting a better position and management pushing you out if you’re committed to doing the right thing
Pros
The children & it’s supposed mission
Cons
Lack of professionalism, morale, horrible management /cut throat environment / favoritism /nepotism
Great Organization
Youth Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 28, 2017
I think this is a great organization even though I have critiques about how it's managed in some areas. But I do think that the topics that this organization aims to address are spot on.
Productive and fun place
Peer Navigator (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 14, 2017
I like being an employee of Sheltering Arms because one of my duty is to help peoples that are in need. I have learned how to treat everyone at the same level with love , compassion and confidentiality.Sheltering Arms welcome all races and cultures.The hardest part of my job is to recruit clients but it's a challenge.The most enjoyable part of my job is at the service of all of our clients.
decent
Resident Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
I liked Sheltering Arms staff that worked with me some administration was not my favorites. they could not function well under pressure when annual surveys came about for recertiication
Productive and very fun
Daycare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAJuly 26, 2017
A typical day includes about twenty children whom we pick up and drop off every day. I learned that all children do not think the same and are so unique. It was the most diverse setting I have ever been in. The hardest part of the job was stopping the children from crying when it was time to depart. The most enjoyable was seeing so many children live life so happily without a care or concern in the world.
Pros
Bonding and getting to know the children
Cons
Crying babies because they're so needy
Worst place to be....
educator (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAMay 30, 2017
Management is disorganized. We lost five employees withing three months. The family and children in this center needs are not being meet. Employee moral is down. I inform anyone to tour the facility before they make a decision about anything. You will see for your self. Do not just talk to management, talk to parent and teachers they will tell you the real deal.
Pros
pay is OK
Cons
It was a busy job with a lot of traveling within NYC
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2017
This job had a lot of travel time involved in going to clients homes throughout the city. There was a lot of paperwork involved and it would be really manageable had it not been so hard to reach the natural parents to counsel them in achieve the goal of reuniting the family.
Pros
Mostly regular business hours
Cons
Old building with no air conditioning or heat
Teach And educate The Young Kids Before They Enter Grade School
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 8, 2017
The Classes Have Children That Are Different Ages , Different Ages Get Taught Certain Skills . introduce children to The products of life and how education is key
Pros
Free play, Singing, learning
Cons
Health care, naptime
work there only until you find another job
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 21, 2016
I applied for this job months ago and was called in several times to come in to repeatedly do the same paperwork for hiring and to sit in on classes to see how they operated. Finally after three months of waiting for employment clearance I was hired. In my opinion they -not my supervisor- hold off on putting paperwork through. Coworkers are caddy very childish regardless of their age, they are unhappy and try to make others feel the same. My supervisor is great but she really needs to hire someone else to be her "right-hand" because that supervisor is inept very incapable of handling just the basic day to day operations. She can handle the children and parents but does not work well with employees that "threaten" her meaning competition , better equipped to handle the job. She provides no support to employees and have heard her speak very harshly to safety officers in front of other employees, children and parents.
Not professional at all. I love working with all the children but it is not worth the travel time and the pay does not pay for a adult it is more of a student living at home just to pay for school or as a stepping stone to gain experience. An adult with experience is not valued and it will not pay bills.
Pros
children
Cons
not professional very childish behavior from staff
Good place to work minus the bureaucratic red tape
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 29, 2015
Management is not supportive,they cover for each other.Its a dog eat dog workplace.Nepotism and favoritism is very popular.
Seems like its all about numbers.No increases,no support for staff from management.
Co-workers are supportive of each other,a typical day is lengthy definitely not a 9-5.The hardest part of my job is the adults i work with(parents).I enjoy working with the children,seeing the smile is magical.
Pros
managable workload
Cons
management and its politics, very high turn over rate, advancement is based on nepotism and favoritism
Not five stars
Youth Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 11, 2015
Inconsistent on nonexistant bonuses. No raise based on job performance. Very little room for advancement. Very high turn over rate. Constant managerial changes. All facilities are operated differently. Little support from upper management.
Pros
friendly line staff. hard working.
Cons
little room for advancement
Good workplace due to employees
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2015
The compensation for the hard work makes it very hard to appreciate your work. You have to be completely passionate about what you do, in order to last here because the salary makes you feel worthless. You do not receive raises !!
Pros
promote from within
Cons
no raise
I work with a group of team players, our job and our commiment to these kids is great.
LPN Charge nursw (Current Employee) –  Bronx NYAugust 26, 2015
on a overhaul my experience as a nurse has fulfilled me. my passion for the work has been rewarding for me. I enjoy seeing these kids over come there challenges of life. as much as we tried to guide them in becoming someone for there themselves. when they graduate college, that is when we know we've done something great.
Pros
childrens
Cons
busy