SHELTERING ARMS Employee Reviews

Developmental Disabilities Aide (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 23, 2017
 Provide direct care, such as feeding and bathing, to patients who are unable to care for themselves
 Physically restrain violent clients or those with behavioral problems
 Help clients live more independent lives; and complete daily progress notes
 Housekeeping, including changing bed sheets or vacuuming, mopping, and cooking
Intense
JUVENILE COUNSELOR SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 9, 2017
Can't relax you have to always be aware. Team work is very important, if everybody is on the same page then the shift will go pretty smooth, providing none of the residents turn up as they like to say.
Pros
Pays Well
Cons
No 2 days are the same
Stressful
Youth Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 30, 2016
Every single day was very different, some days its very quiet and low key the other days its a complete zoo. The residents have gone or were going thru personal major breakdowns.
Pros
Learning Experiences
Cons
Many things
Great Company, Poor Management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 12, 2016
Great company overall but very poor and rude management. The level of respect with one the company was terrible. Company has great benefits and great clinicians.
Changes since first year
Preschool Teacher (Current Employee) –  Union City, GAOctober 26, 2016
When i starded working with Sheltering Arms I enjoyed working their staff was very helpful and friendly. Management was organized, But didnt have a directior at the time. So the Curriculm Specialist and Family support kept the center afloat. We finaly gained a director two week after being hired. After six months in things started to change people stared to quite and a whole chane reaction just stared where there was barely no help enought said.....
Pros
Provide Free health care and have Dental and Vision Plans, 401 K
Cons
Not enought support or teachers

Comment – January 28, 2017

As a Current employee too this is the truth I feel that since we had this new Director things has change people had started to leave and we have been short staff ever since. We can not keep teacher.

Enjoyed working there they cared about me going back to school
Assistant Teacher Preschool (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAOctober 14, 2016
I would come in midmorning to help out in the 3 year old room and assist the other two teachers with those that have behavior issues. I learned that each child learns differently in their own style and way. the co-workers I worked with their was nice to me and I got along with them. I mostly just did my job and kept to myself. Management was good at resolving any conflicts or issues and making sure we was up to date on all training. the hardest part of the job was those kids that had behavior issues or learning issues beyond our training. the most enjoyable part of the day when the kids didn't want to leave our classroom because in all honesty we made it fun for them despite the issues.
Pros
they have good benefits at the time i worked for them
Cons
I really dont know of any
Staff /A/P Accountant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2016
I loved working for Sheltering Arms, the benefits were very good, and I did have job security to some degree, the only thing is that they mostly depended on grants and donations because it is a non-profit organization. I one of the best bosses ever, she is the VP of Finance, one of the things that made me so proud of her is her integrity. the culture was family, we each had our jobs and responsibilities, but they really cared about you as a person.
A Great foundation that can turn froma job too a potential career.
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 27, 2016
Sheltering Arms was a challenging but easy work environment to adjust too. Depending on your shift (Morning,Afternoon,Overnight) you and your co-workers had a specific task too perform when it came to the juveniles being detained. The Morning Staff were to attend school with the youth and load them into the van. Go through a school day with them and monitor them. Afternoon Staff depending on the day would either participate in after school programs with them or bring them home to the facility and make sure they would follow the program structured for them that day. Overnight Staff would just supervise and check on residents to make sure nothing was going on. No attempts to sneak out, no inappropriate behavior etc. They were also tasked with preparing residents for school during the week. I definitely developed patience and composure and a different perspective on peoples lives and how your environment plays a major part in who you are. I developed better communication and listening skills. This Job made me into a stronger person. I built great relationships throughout my time there and some co-workers became close friends, which I'm thankful for. Hardest part of the job I notice for some other people was not letting what the residents say get to them, employees tend to let their emotions get the better of them and would lose their job over confrontations. Most enjoyable part for me, in my opinion was to see some of the residents get released and go home to their families and build good bonds between them and i pray some of the things that i taught them keep them out of trouble.
Pros
Benefits, Consistent Schedule, Starting Wage
Cons
No Breaks, Poor Supervision
great leader ship in the main office. Frienly down to earth environment.
Administrative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2016
organization could be better. Great people to work with over all. The work can get very hectic but some of the managers are great at helping in crisis and knowledgeable about the work.
Pros
great people
Cons
pay and current benefit plan
confusing work environment
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  168th street and collegeJuly 18, 2016
co-workers are sharks and management don't communicate with workers, always a long day with most things. learned how to be independent and work at a good pace. dealing with people that don't want to work is the hardest part of the day always.
Pros
excellent at taking care of the individuals.
Cons
no structure in the work place, no communication within management
Rewarding place to work
Family Support Coordinator/Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 17, 2016
Working for the Fire Department is very rewarding. You provide an excellent service for the public, saving and changing life.
Great job culture co-workers become family
Domestic Violence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Ozone Park, NYJune 16, 2016
There are not enough hours to complete workload on timely manner. Most Supervisors lack experience therefore guidance is not very supportive. Co-workers become your family, hardest part of your work is trying to meet deadlines. Most enjoyable part is working one-on-one with the clients.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
Healthcare, no space for advancement
Life skills Coach
Life Skills Coach (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 7, 2016
Working with the youth if non secure placement programs is life changing and eye opening. Definitely an unforgettable experience.
Sheltering Arms is a good place to work
Juvenile Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2016
Good work environment. Very good co workers and the management team is excellent. The pay was good and there is room for advancement. The organization is very big and they encourage hiring from within.
Interim Site Director (Current Employee) –  404 Fulton Street Atlanta GA 30312May 24, 2016
Sheltering Arms is a wonderful place to be employed. Employees are provided ongoing opportunities to enhance ones skills and abilities through training that is provided.
Pros
salary is competitive and ongoing training opportunities
Cons
N/A
Great place to work such a friendly environment
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Union City, GAApril 22, 2016
My very first job and I loved it, sheltering arms taught me how to communicate with people in a professional setting. The hardest park for me was working with kids, but after a week or two the taught me treat to keeping kids calm and happy while teaching them
Productive work place
HomeFinding Social Worker / Recruiter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 12, 2016
I learned to work well with others and was able to make changes in the lives of others. The company has room for advancement.
avoid at all cost
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 2, 2016
don't work here stay away avoid at all cost
horrible horrible place!
staff is horrible, conditions are horrible pay is horrible.
Pros
Cons
everything
friendly helpful staff and employees
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Union City, GANovember 19, 2015
Great job, good pay, but short staffed. Paid benefits for employees. Very helpful staff and employees. Great about vacation and time off if given in a reasonable time.Possible long hours, if under staffed. Most of the time they were under staffed.
Pros
decent pay, paid benefits, off weekends
Cons
short staff and long hours
Bad workplace
Food Service Manger (Former Employee) –  Union City, GANovember 11, 2015
When sheltering arm got a new CEO it have went from a ten to a four
No professionalism Need to have a union.Don't follow policy and procedure rules a lot of turnovers people don't stay because of the pay.
Pros
Had pros but not anymore
Cons
Have good health benifits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SHELTERING ARMS. Our community is ready to answer.