Shenandoah University Employee Reviews

Great School
Adjunct Faculty/ Guitar Class Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 3, 2017
Great faculty and staff. The campus is wonderful and a stone throw from Washington DC. There are many programs offered and taught here and the students are wonderful.
Great Working Environment
Staff (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 3, 2017
Love the people and the atmosphere. Flexibility to manage work, life, and continuing education. Lacking in pay for staff.
Pros
Benefits and environment
Cons
Pay
Great work opportunity
Student Work Study Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 24, 2016
This is a great experience for someone who wants to work but also have flexibility. I was able to learn several things while setting up the labs that helped me in my schooling.
The benefits are the best part of working at SU.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 11, 2016
Management. What management? There is no communication. The general public knows what's going on with SU before staff does.

Depending on the department you work in, the day can be busy busy busy - if you like that. I didn't like idle time, so busy was great.

The grad students are pretty good. some hand holding is necessary.

Co-workers are OK. Some co-workers are great and you become friends.
Pros
Insurance, free education
Cons
Pay is disgustingly low, Many employees have a 2nd job, Not a very good chance of advancement...or being hired by another department
Interesting place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 28, 2016
This was a research/internship position and there was no pay. However, I learned a lot working here. I learned how to do apply data to reports and to analyze said data to compile a database. This position was a non-paid position but it took so much of your time. You really had to balance your daily schedule.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
No pay
Great place to work as a work study
Work-study for the Department of Public Safety (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 29, 2016
I would go in and usually put in tickets for the public safety officers in a file. I learned how to use Microsoft Excel very well. Management was not too bad. Manager was really kind and wrote me a recommendation letter. My co-workers were never really around at the same time as me. I usually worked with my supervisor, who was great to me. Hardest part of the job was being in school and scheduling that around my other two jobs. The most enjoyable part was participating in functions monitored by the Department of Public Safety at SU.
Very fun place for work
International Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Winchester, NVMay 4, 2016
The academia work is very fun. I have a learnt a lot and did my best to make a difference. My day starts and ends with students interviewing for admission. I enjoyed working on helping students educate themselves and become leaders.
Fun environment
Assistant to Women's Soccer Coach (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work involved answering phone calls for Coach Pike, writing emails, filing information, and making reservations for the bus and hotels.
Pros
Casual attire
Cons
Yelling boss
Where I Played College Football and did Work Study
Football Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 13, 2016
Very Professional and Helping Organization. I gained various experiences in the equipment management aspect of football as well as the business of planning and budgeting.
Head Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 28, 2016
I love Shenandoah University. I work with the Res Life department. I enjoy this work and everyone I work with. Its a fun upbeat environment with a serious job to still get done.
Pros
Fun, Pay, Housing, coworkers
Cons
Hours, Time off.
Fun workplace with awesome colleague
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 11, 2016
I am so happy I had this experience, I realized team work is very important. I learnt how to work with different people, we might from different countries, have different backgrounds, but we can work together very well at Shenandoah University.
Great Work Environment
Weight Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 1, 2016
Working in the weight room was an enjoyable job. I learned to work well with other people and to work well with my boss. My boss was understanding and worked well with my schedule. Everyone who worked in the weight room worked hard and efficiently with each other. The hardest part of the job was spotting the athletes while they lifted. The most enjoyable part was keeping the weight room clean and to keep it running well.
Pros
Good experience
Great place to work to achieve work/life balance
Administration (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 19, 2015
Low pay, high cost for benefits, but great to balance work and life responsibilities. Advancements opportunities are sometimes limited, but job security is high.
Pros
Flexible hours to complete higher education.
Cons
Low Pay
Great benefits
Admin Asst. for Undergraduate Programs (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 19, 2015
Great place to work for educational benefits, but there is no leadership in some departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the students and seeing them graduate with their undergraduate degree.
Excellent place to work
Instructional Faculty (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 15, 2015
Excellent place to work. Friendly and concerned about their students and employees. Great place to network and to work with colleagues. Professional development is part of the university's mission.
Not much time for play. Stay busy
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 3, 2015
Come to work at 3am. Get garbage in offices, clean offices, clean bathrooms, clean labs, clean windows, clean tile floors and if needed I will buff them. In the summer time we all clean the dorms. Don't hang much with other ladies. Too much gossip and do not want in the middle of that. The job is not hard and the most enjoyable part is getting to know the kids.
Job Search
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, VAAugust 11, 2015
I enjoy working in a fast growing industry where co-workers are friends and management is great. I am a mover I love to be up and running around while multi-tasking. I am very organized and very enthusiastic.

I have ran my own dance and fitness studio for the past 20 years. I have learned alot on my own such as dealing with conflicts that may be associated with pleasing a unhappy customer. I taught myself quickbooks and accounting.
Shenandoah University
The 'Doah Staff Writer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 16, 2015
Shenandoah University is dedicated to its students and promotes a positive environment for all who work there. Working with others was wonderful because everyone who worked there was committed to the same goal.
Productive and an enjoyable place to work at
Athletic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 9, 2015
Shenandoah was a enjoyable place to work at. Most days it did not even feel like a job because of how close the co-workers were and how entertaining the job was.
I am an adjunct professor, but am included in all faculty events and benefits
Adjunct professor in French (Current Employee) –  Wincheser, VANovember 10, 2014
While the compensation is far below a "living wage" I am back in my primary field, loving the staff and the students.
Pros
Acceptance as faculty
Cons
Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shenandoah University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4