Shenandoah University Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work as a work study
Work-study for the Department of Public Safety (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 29, 2016
I would go in and usually put in tickets for the public safety officers in a file. I learned how to use Microsoft Excel very well. Management was not too bad. Manager was really kind and wrote me a recommendation letter. My co-workers were never really around at the same time as me. I usually worked with my supervisor, who was great to me. Hardest part of the job was being in school and scheduling that around my other two jobs. The most enjoyable part was participating in functions monitored by the Department of Public Safety at SU.
Great place to work to achieve work/life balance
Administration (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 19, 2015
Low pay, high cost for benefits, but great to balance work and life responsibilities. Advancements opportunities are sometimes limited, but job security is high.
Pros
Flexible hours to complete higher education.
Cons
Low Pay
Interesting place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 28, 2016
This was a research/internship position and there was no pay. However, I learned a lot working here. I learned how to do apply data to reports and to analyze said data to compile a database. This position was a non-paid position but it took so much of your time. You really had to balance your daily schedule.
Pros
Learning Experience
Cons
No pay
Very fun place for work
International Admissions Counselor (Former Employee) –  Winchester, NVMay 4, 2016
The academia work is very fun. I have a learnt a lot and did my best to make a difference. My day starts and ends with students interviewing for admission. I enjoyed working on helping students educate themselves and become leaders.
Great Work Environment
Weight Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 1, 2016
Working in the weight room was an enjoyable job. I learned to work well with other people and to work well with my boss. My boss was understanding and worked well with my schedule. Everyone who worked in the weight room worked hard and efficiently with each other. The hardest part of the job was spotting the athletes while they lifted. The most enjoyable part was keeping the weight room clean and to keep it running well.
Pros
Good experience
Fun environment
Assistant to Women's Soccer Coach (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 4, 2016
A typical day at work involved answering phone calls for Coach Pike, writing emails, filing information, and making reservations for the bus and hotels.
Pros
Casual attire
Cons
Yelling boss
Where I Played College Football and did Work Study
Football Team Member (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAApril 13, 2016
Very Professional and Helping Organization. I gained various experiences in the equipment management aspect of football as well as the business of planning and budgeting.
Head Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMarch 28, 2016
I love Shenandoah University. I work with the Res Life department. I enjoy this work and everyone I work with. Its a fun upbeat environment with a serious job to still get done.
Pros
Fun, Pay, Housing, coworkers
Cons
Hours, Time off.
Fun workplace with awesome colleague
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 11, 2016
I am so happy I had this experience, I realized team work is very important. I learnt how to work with different people, we might from different countries, have different backgrounds, but we can work together very well at Shenandoah University.
Great benefits
Admin Asst. for Undergraduate Programs (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 19, 2015
Great place to work for educational benefits, but there is no leadership in some departments. The most enjoyable part of the job was spending time with the students and seeing them graduate with their undergraduate degree.
Recent Restructuring has created want for career change
Manager - Admissions Operations (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VADecember 8, 2013
Started at Shenandoah in 2012 as temporary employee, and after ten months was promoted into Management position. Thoroughly enjoy those I work with; however recent Management restructuring has created a strong desire to change careers.

I supervise and manage two full time employees, as well as 12 student employees year round. It is a very busy job, there is never "not work to do"! Job entails heavy data entry as well as reporting to ensure data integrity.
Not much time for play. Stay busy
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 3, 2015
Come to work at 3am. Get garbage in offices, clean offices, clean bathrooms, clean labs, clean windows, clean tile floors and if needed I will buff them. In the summer time we all clean the dorms. Don't hang much with other ladies. Too much gossip and do not want in the middle of that. The job is not hard and the most enjoyable part is getting to know the kids.
Excellent place to work
Instructional Faculty (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 15, 2015
Excellent place to work. Friendly and concerned about their students and employees. Great place to network and to work with colleagues. Professional development is part of the university's mission.
Very interesting way to meet many talented musicians and other performers
Stage Hand (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAMay 6, 2013
Work usually starts off with me and the other hands moving equipment and/or instruments onto the stage before the performances. We then discussed the lighting and sound arrangements for the show. When the performers arrived, we would ask what needed to be done during the performance, and would make a schedule of what needed to be brought onto the stage and at what time during the performance. After the performance we then clean up the stage, putting instruments and equipment away.

I learned how to manage multiple things at once, how to interact with performers or others who need assistance in their jobs, and how to keep a level head when things go wrong.

Management for this year was decent, but also unorganized. Many workers were constantly confused about when they were supposed to come into work and where shows were being held.

Co-workers were very easy to work, communicate, and coordinate jobs with. Very friendly and pleasant to work with.

The hardest part was keeping up with the schedule as well as being able to attend all of my classes. We would have to find a replacement for work if we had conflicts.

The most enjoyable part was being able to meet and work with so many talented and interesting individuals.
Pros
being able to meet famous musicians, flexible schedules, was kept busy
Cons
confusing and often conflicting work times, long hours
Interesting and intrinsically rewarding work
Director (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 7, 2013
I worked there over five years with many friendly, polite and productive people. It was wonderful to be part of the team. The environment, overtime expectations and management changed over the years. I do hope things improve for the next person in the same position.
Pros
interesting and intrinsically rewarding work; safe and comfortable environment
Cons
micromanagement and high number of work hours
Small college with non-profit organization culture, policies change often
Web Administrator (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VANovember 14, 2013
Easy commute, maintained the software updates and reliabilities, supported the system and applied changes as needed. Met with internal clients, gathered requirements to developed business concept and collaborated with SMEs to make adjustment as needed. Reports gathering. Frequently interact with management and executives.
Shenandoah University
The 'Doah Staff Writer (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAJune 16, 2015
Shenandoah University is dedicated to its students and promotes a positive environment for all who work there. Working with others was wonderful because everyone who worked there was committed to the same goal.
I am an adjunct professor, but am included in all faculty events and benefits
Adjunct professor in French (Current Employee) –  Wincheser, VANovember 10, 2014
While the compensation is far below a "living wage" I am back in my primary field, loving the staff and the students.
Pros
acceptance as faculty
Cons
compensation
IC is a never ending battle
Help Desk Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VASeptember 25, 2014
Director is a yes man who micro manages everything. Management is decided on what degree you have and not your experience, so management knows little to nothing.
Pros
co-workers we the best in every department
Cons
management
great place
Administrative Assistant, (Former Employee) –  Winchester, VAFebruary 6, 2014
great work
learnt a lot
great management
great coworkers
nothing was hard
great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shenandoah University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4