Shentel Employee Reviews

Fantastic place to work
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Etters, PADecember 23, 2016
Since joining Shentel, I can honestly say that it is the best company for which I have worked. The culture here is very welcoming, and makes one immediately feel a part of the family. Management is willing to listen to ideas and help employees understand why decisions are made. While workloads can get heavy at times, they usually balance out pretty quickly. Managers try hard to be understanding and flexible of work-life balance, and the PTO offered is great! The overall benefits package is excellent, considering the size of the company; the 401(k) blows every other company out of the water. And the people - the best! I have never worked with such a great group of people that makes me feel so valued and appreciated, in every part of the company. It's awesome! I hope to build my career here, and look forward to every minute of it!
Pros
Great people, great culture, great benefits - 401(k), tuition reimbursement, life insurance, disability
over worked and under paid
BROADBAND TECHNICIAN 2 (Current Employee) –  Farmville, vaJuly 7, 2016
if your not selling than you're not worth recognizing. the whole idea behind the company is to make everyone in "Pyongyang" even more rich and make sure the company looks good. their compensation and promotion program is unfair and exclusive.
Pros
too few to mention
Cons
work life is terrible.
This was the worst job I've yet to have
Sprint Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJanuary 4, 2017
Where to start?... You're not gonna get paid well. I was constantly contacting payroll over errors in my checks. They don't take college degrees into consideration when determining your pay. I was also told that I was going to be making about 10k more per year than i actually did. The company has a blanket quota, meaning that you have to hit the same quota as every other employee, company wide, regardless of traffic or employees at the store. Then they have a lot of hidden stipulations that prevent you from reaching multipliers, or even quota. The managers don't have college degrees and are promoted within. This means they have no idea how to truly manage people. Mine constantly would disregard employee concerns and cause extra work for us, just to watch us jump through hoops. Upper management is ALWAYS on the managers side and will typically not even respond to sales reps about concerns. The large majority of customers are the worst people I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.
Pros
you get cheap accessories
Cons
that place was miserable
Horrible place to work
IT (Former Employee) –  VAMay 7, 2016
The job was good when I first started working there but then it got worse. The nice 8-5 hours started to turn into you had to stay over later or work from home with no compensation. In my position there was only two of us to do a three person job. Some departments could care less about families and only care about work. The CEO may want to look into how some employees get treated if you complain or have problems it does no good, its a you scratch my back I scratch your back place.
Pros
Hour lunch when you wanted and good pay
Cons
To many to mention
Great Place To Work
Digital Media Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, VAJanuary 9, 2017
Love working at Shentel. Wonderful place to learn and grow your skills. Excellent Management and everyone helps you grow. I work closely with all of my peers.
Pros
Management Helps you grow
Cons
Pay is a bit low
Shentel
Customer Service Reprensentative (Former Employee) –  Rustburg, VAAugust 12, 2016
I loved working with the customers! I was hired for billing but after eight years they started pushing for sales, I was not a salesman. I know the company has to grow to succeed but the customer has to be happy and taken care of in order for that to happen. I think it would of been better to let the people who sell good push for the sales and the people like me who could get a customer to understand their prorated and past due bills handle that area. Someone frustrated with a prorated bill does not want to have someone pushing another service on them.
More problems than good.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  WvNovember 3, 2016
Good day bad day every other day, over kill with unnecessary side work & computer work. Entitled public very rude & excepted to be ran over the way people talk to you everyday.
Pros
Healthcare, fair hourly rate, free employee phone
Cons
Rude customers more than friendly ones, low commissions for the area, no one to reach out too.
A Place Where You Can Make a Difference
Engineering Management (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, VAAugust 5, 2014
Shentel is a small company and has some growing pains - Local employer trying to expand to a regional player in both Wireless and Broadband Fiber network.

Leadership stresses work/life balance more than any wireless company I have worked with or for in 20 years.

Executive management is open to new ideas - Long term employees struggle at times with the change brought on by the new ideas, but get on board eventually.

The Wireless team is extremely customer focused, taking pains to fully address each individual issue.

Overall, a great place to work and a friendly environment.
Pros
Work/Life balance; Great 401K plan!!!; Profitable and successful
Cons
Hard to advance due to small size
Sales Management
Sales (Former Employee) –  PaJanuary 15, 2014
This place was one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. The benefits were awesome but that's it. Nothing but back stabbing and gossiping. It was all played on favorites as to who would get the promotion. False promises of job advancements. Unequal job oppurtunities. It's was ok for you as the assistant manager to do all the work and never get credit for it. The store manager would get praised. Oh and even better it was ok for you to be an acting store manager over and over again but not good enough to hold the actual title. That company is a joke when it comes to hiring outside management. Good luck Shentel!!!
Lack of Employee appreciation
Support (Former Employee) –  Rustburg, VAOctober 31, 2013
Executive Management has no appreciation for the employees of the company. There is no integrity. They will talk out of both sides of their mouth. Focus is always about money! Not the employees and not the customers! When ideas and solutions are offered to help the company save money and increase profits, they are dismissed under the guise of "well, we are going in a different direction."

I will applaud them on their Work/Life balance and the understanding they express in difficult situations. And a great advantage for full time employees and the cell phone discount you can receive. Other than that, I would highly recommend not working for this company. There are some very questionable (possibly ethical) things going on in terms of how they provide assistance to benefit plans. The culture is out dated and going backwards fast. They want to hire good people with experience and knowledge in the areas where they are weak, but they refuse to listen to that experience and make necessary strides to grow as a Management and as a company.

Best of luck.
great work place
Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Omar, WVJune 27, 2016
alot of hard working people, great staff, great mangement. love the job its just a temporary job right now but would love to stay along time
Excellent Place To Work
Regional HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Etters, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Great staff and coworkers. Company is growing and really cares about employee engagement. Works hard to get training in place and takes time to welcome new hires to the work place. One of the best places I ever worked!
Pros
Great coworkers and management
Cons
Travel
Excellent Place to Work
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 2, 2016
This company loves their employees. It's a very relaxed environment. Everyone is incredibly helpful to new representatives. They do a lot of wonderful things to make their employees feel valued. The only thing that is not so great is the hours and starting of part-time. Sometimes it can be hard to balance your funds with the days and times you are able to work. But, if you have children and a scheduled you need to work around with them they will accomodate your need as much as possible. Love Shentel. Incredible company.
Pros
Free lunches, caring team, great training
Cons
part-time start off
Loved my job
Assistant store manager 1 and 2 (Former Employee) –  York pa, Harrisburg paJune 15, 2014
I enjoyed going to work everyday. The company pays well and the benefits are outstanding. The day to day job of a assistant manager was the best I've seen. The company is small enough where you feel appreciated and you have a lot of advancement opportunities. I would recommend anybody looking for a sales job to apply with shentel!
Pros
Good salary and commission
Cons
Gossip
Middle Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, VAMay 5, 2015
Company has changed over the years. Used to be great place to work. Has now grown to a big corporation. Employees are just a number. Anyone can be replaced at anytime. It is more of a who you know than what you do. Being in the middle is the worst. You are directed by upper but when the hourly employees complain, you take the fall. There are some great people there and most of them would like to find something else. Where they are located makes that extremely hard unless you want to move.
Pros
Benefits are very good. Salary is good for most.
Cons
Emotional based Company - not on work ethic
Regular 5 day week job
Summer Help (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, VAJanuary 16, 2013
I just walked in and turned on the computer and went straight to work with the two databases. That was some days. Other days, I would come in and two other interns and I would go to different company sites so that we could audit them. I was doing a circuit audit on my own. The management was great. The only issue I had with them is that they wouldn't allow me work for them longer. I attempted to get them to allow me to work for them longer than either of us expected me to so I could gain more experience and it didn't seem like they tried very hard. The hardest part of the job was going to the sites and collecting all the circuit ID's that I had to get. The ID's were long and there were a lot of them. I enjoyed working with my co-workers and I enjoyed the hours. That was the best part about it. It was an 8am-5pm job with an hour lunch.
Pros
hours, could choose lunch hour, understood what i was doing
Cons
could not extend my time here, travel
Good company work for
Network Vision Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, VAJanuary 25, 2015
My job was "Project" related. Once the project was over, I was hopeful that the company would hire me full-time. But there was no open positions available when the project was completed. The hardest part of this job was that I worked in an apartment type office with just me and my Manager. I didn't see or talk to people on a regular basis which was hard for me. I learned a lot about Telecommunications and how cell phones work as this project was about upgrading the cell phone towers. I enjoy learning new things, so I enjoyed that.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Work Environment
Run
service (Former Employee) –  eastJune 30, 2014
I was given 30 days of training in 3 days .
One manager from another department yelled constantly
once it was for moving a chair and once because I did not have a key to company gate that i had no control over.
( how could a company have a manager like this)
It was just a real circus here. When you are interviewed they explain they have benefits and they sure do they just are not affordable. No way a single parent can afford insurance.
Only enjoyable part was trying to help customers. If you are out of work and are considering interviewing here dont . You are much better than this .
Be ready to suck up
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 21, 2015
Do you job and hope that no one takes a dislike to you because if you do it will not matter how good you area at your job you will be targeted and watched like a hawk until you make enough minor errors for them to justify dropping you for some other new hire with 2 kids who can only work 4 hours a week
Pros
discounted service
Cons
no professionalism
Family Oriented Company
Administrative Assistant - Operations (Current Employee) –  Weston, WVAugust 3, 2014
I started out as a Temp for this company, and was given a full time position within 6 months. I could not ask for a better boss and work family. The company is very family orientated; has great benefits; training; and wellness program

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shentel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6