Shentel Employee Reviews

We're a Family!
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, VAAugust 14, 2017
Shentel is a great place to work. From the very top executive to the mail person, we are equals in our commitment to providing great products and services to our customers. All of us contribute. We all matter. Great benefits. Very understanding of work/life balance. Good opportunities. Always encouraging to learn PLUS a great tuition reimbursement program to help with that! 10+ year employee and proud to be so!
Pros
Work/life balance, good pay and great benefits.
Cons
Distance from home
They should have never acquired ntelos
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Danville, VAApril 30, 2017
Since the purchase it has been nothing but chaos, they dont seem to mean what they say to customers. The employees that work for shentel are not friendly. Upper management completely sucks and they are irrational. Management does not hire from within so do not expect to advance in the company. Management are not great problem solvers or know how to handle any type of pressure. If your store is understaff do not expect any help from management, THEY WILL LEAVE YOU OUT TO DRY. The company did not do anything to give ntelos employees the same pay that we were use to. quotas arent made known most of the time. There is no open door policy.
Cable Installer (Former Employee) –  Shentel TelecommunicationsApril 6, 2017
Loved this job if I had transportation from christiansburg to Lynchburg I would still work here great company and I loved the work. Great pay with benefits.
Pros
Worked on our own time
Cons
Had to leave home
OK company to work for
OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, VAFebruary 17, 2017
The company itself is an ok company to work for and employees are all treated fairly. However, the pay is very low for the quality type of work that people do.
Great Place To Work
Digital Media Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edinburg, VAJanuary 9, 2017
Love working at Shentel. Wonderful place to learn and grow your skills. Excellent Management and everyone helps you grow. I work closely with all of my peers.
Pros
Management Helps you grow
Cons
Pay is a bit low
This was the worst job I've yet to have
Sprint Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVJanuary 4, 2017
Where to start?... You're not gonna get paid well. I was constantly contacting payroll over errors in my checks. They don't take college degrees into consideration when determining your pay. I was also told that I was going to be making about 10k more per year than i actually did. The company has a blanket quota, meaning that you have to hit the same quota as every other employee, company wide, regardless of traffic or employees at the store. Then they have a lot of hidden stipulations that prevent you from reaching multipliers, or even quota. The managers don't have college degrees and are promoted within. This means they have no idea how to truly manage people. Mine constantly would disregard employee concerns and cause extra work for us, just to watch us jump through hoops. Upper management is ALWAYS on the managers side and will typically not even respond to sales reps about concerns. The large majority of customers are the worst people I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.
Pros
you get cheap accessories
Cons
that place was miserable
Fantastic place to work
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Etters, PADecember 23, 2016
Since joining Shentel, I can honestly say that it is the best company for which I have worked. The culture here is very welcoming, and makes one immediately feel a part of the family. Management is willing to listen to ideas and help employees understand why decisions are made. While workloads can get heavy at times, they usually balance out pretty quickly. Managers try hard to be understanding and flexible of work-life balance, and the PTO offered is great! The overall benefits package is excellent, considering the size of the company; the 401(k) blows every other company out of the water. And the people - the best! I have never worked with such a great group of people that makes me feel so valued and appreciated, in every part of the company. It's awesome! I hope to build my career here, and look forward to every minute of it!
Pros
Great people, great culture, great benefits - 401(k), tuition reimbursement, life insurance, disability
More problems than good.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  WvNovember 3, 2016
Good day bad day every other day, over kill with unnecessary side work & computer work. Entitled public very rude & excepted to be ran over the way people talk to you everyday.
Pros
Healthcare, fair hourly rate, free employee phone
Cons
Rude customers more than friendly ones, low commissions for the area, no one to reach out too.
Company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, VASeptember 23, 2016
Great benefits
Great co-workers
Good work environment
Work/Family time ratio
Nice perks in Sales
All around good company, more like family to work for
Shentel
Customer Service Reprensentative (Former Employee) –  Rustburg, VAAugust 12, 2016
I loved working with the customers! I was hired for billing but after eight years they started pushing for sales, I was not a salesman. I know the company has to grow to succeed but the customer has to be happy and taken care of in order for that to happen. I think it would of been better to let the people who sell good push for the sales and the people like me who could get a customer to understand their prorated and past due bills handle that area. Someone frustrated with a prorated bill does not want to have someone pushing another service on them.
over worked and under paid
BROADBAND TECHNICIAN 2 (Current Employee) –  Farmville, vaJuly 7, 2016
if your not selling than you're not worth recognizing. the whole idea behind the company is to make everyone in "Pyongyang" even more rich and make sure the company looks good. their compensation and promotion program is unfair and exclusive.
Pros
too few to mention
Cons
work life is terrible.
great work place
Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Omar, WVJune 27, 2016
alot of hard working people, great staff, great mangement. love the job its just a temporary job right now but would love to stay along time
Horrible place to work
IT (Former Employee) –  VAMay 7, 2016
The job was good when I first started working there but then it got worse. The nice 8-5 hours started to turn into you had to stay over later or work from home with no compensation. In my position there was only two of us to do a three person job. Some departments could care less about families and only care about work. The CEO may want to look into how some employees get treated if you complain or have problems it does no good, its a you scratch my back I scratch your back place.
Pros
Hour lunch when you wanted and good pay
Cons
To many to mention
Excellent Place to Work
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VAFebruary 2, 2016
This company loves their employees. It's a very relaxed environment. Everyone is incredibly helpful to new representatives. They do a lot of wonderful things to make their employees feel valued. The only thing that is not so great is the hours and starting of part-time. Sometimes it can be hard to balance your funds with the days and times you are able to work. But, if you have children and a scheduled you need to work around with them they will accomodate your need as much as possible. Love Shentel. Incredible company.
Pros
Free lunches, caring team, great training
Cons
part-time start off
Excellent Place To Work
Regional HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Etters, PAFebruary 2, 2016
Great staff and coworkers. Company is growing and really cares about employee engagement. Works hard to get training in place and takes time to welcome new hires to the work place. One of the best places I ever worked!
Pros
Great coworkers and management
Cons
Travel
Be ready to suck up
Technical Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 21, 2015
Do you job and hope that no one takes a dislike to you because if you do it will not matter how good you area at your job you will be targeted and watched like a hawk until you make enough minor errors for them to justify dropping you for some other new hire with 2 kids who can only work 4 hours a week
Pros
discounted service
Cons
no professionalism
Not a bad job
Sprint Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAJuly 27, 2015
If your good at sales there is a great money to be found in this job. Company support for your needs in the store is great. Can take a lot of abuse from customers though.
Middle Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, VAMay 5, 2015
Company has changed over the years. Used to be great place to work. Has now grown to a big corporation. Employees are just a number. Anyone can be replaced at anytime. It is more of a who you know than what you do. Being in the middle is the worst. You are directed by upper but when the hourly employees complain, you take the fall. There are some great people there and most of them would like to find something else. Where they are located makes that extremely hard unless you want to move.
Pros
Benefits are very good. Salary is good for most.
Cons
Emotional based Company - not on work ethic
Data Network Tech
Data Network Technician (Current Employee) –  Farmville, VAFebruary 26, 2015
Work days vary greatly. One day you could be installing a customer with new service. The next day you could be doing wifi mapping for Longwood University. The next, your back out in the field doing trouble tickets and fixing problems.
Good company work for
Network Vision Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburg, VAJanuary 25, 2015
My job was "Project" related. Once the project was over, I was hopeful that the company would hire me full-time. But there was no open positions available when the project was completed. The hardest part of this job was that I worked in an apartment type office with just me and my Manager. I didn't see or talk to people on a regular basis which was hard for me. I learned a lot about Telecommunications and how cell phones work as this project was about upgrading the cell phone towers. I enjoy learning new things, so I enjoyed that.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Work Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shentel. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7