Shepherd of the Valley Employee Reviews in United States

Lovely place with great environment
Nursery Worker (Former Employee) –  Afton, MNJune 4, 2016
Playing with kids and goofing about with them. Watching them grow and learn while having an amazing time. I loved the people I worked with but then most of them left and times got mixed about.
Pros
Love the kids
Cons
not many
No team work , a lot of back stabbing , corporate office r too faced
STNA/Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Austintown, OHMay 24, 2016
No team work I loved my people that I took care of coworker don't do there work big turn over for Stna and in corporate office
Pros
Cons
Not good pay
would not recommend employment with this corporation!!!!! As one family put it it's the best of the worst !
LPN (Former Employee) –  NilesDecember 15, 2015
Upper management sticks together! It's always someone else's fault for bad surveys, staffing issues or anything else going on in the buildings. Turnover rate is very high in all departments, always has been always will be. And now they have to bribe you to come to work for them by offering a sign on bonus.There is a pecking order and eventually you will be black balled by the corporation for their shortcomings. Upper management keeps their hands clean and makes lower management do their dirty work. This is where having a union would benefit employees. There are doctors that will not deal with certain facilities due to the incompetence and rudeness of the leadership in the buildings. I guess only certain people are allowed to be rude and intimidating. Maybe it's time for a change at the top. Residents are not taken care of properly due to the constant short staffing. I would never place a loved one of mine with this corporation knowing what I know.
Pros
None really
Cons
Very short staffed, high turnover, favoritism, unfairness
Shepherd of the Valley
STNA (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OHOctober 24, 2015
Shepherd is an okay place to work for. There are not a lot of perks and the benefits are not that good.The environment at this company is not the same it has a lot of confusion in the building its self but I guess if you are a hard worker you'll fly through the day and not pay attention to the non sense.
Fun job, but no hours for employees
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYOctober 19, 2015
I enjoyed this job of filling on shipping orders. It was sad to me that corporate offices decided to cut everyone's hours down to 10 hrs a week after the holidays.
Pros
fun
Cons
poor pay and hours
long term care
LPN (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHOctober 13, 2015
Although we felt understaffed we did our best to provide excellent patient care. There are really great workers at this facility that have a passion and drive to care for others.
Pros
Great Co workers, wonderful residents, Excellent compensation
Cons
short staffed, lack of teamwork, lack of appreciation
Enjoyable Workplace
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHAugust 24, 2015
A typical day work consisted of serving residents their food, bussing tables, and washing dishes. Though it sounds easy, some days were a little harder than others. I learned a lot of patience since I worked with elderly men and women who weren't always in the best moods, but I truly loved working with them. Working with them all day was the best part of my job.
The hardest part of the job was the fast pace, sometimes time just moved too fast and it seemed like you couldn't get everything done on time. Also, how hot it was in the building; elderly people love 70 degrees even if it's already 90 degrees outside.
My coworkers were very easy get along with and it was typically easy to do work with them, even people who weren't in my department.

All in all, I actually really enjoyed this job even if some days were tiring, but all jobs are like that.
Pros
seeing the smile on residents' faces
Cons
a lot for one employee to take on.
Home health Aide
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Austintown, OHJuly 20, 2015
Learned a lot about how different each Home Health Care Agency and environment is. Shepherd is okay and I like the people (aides) that I worked with and trained with.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Traveling far
very unorganized unable to work with schooling
lpn (Former Employee) –  nilesJune 30, 2015
bad hours.
nursing don and adn very rude.
co workers amazing on afternoons very helpful.
shortage of nurses.
residents are amazing
Cons
no lunch breaks
enjoyed all pts and direct staff daily
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYMarch 13, 2015
I extremely enjoy working with the geriatric population! However, the job required extremely long hours and was constantly short staffed. My love for the patients kept my dedication to the job going. Working in this environment I was continuously learning. Knowing medications and side effects is a big part of this job, but interpersonal skills is the main requirement. knowing your patients is essential to providing the best nursing care. Daily duties included, medication administration, documentation, wound care, occasional emergency care, working with Doctors and Pharmacies at facility or via fax or phone. Management changed frequently while I was there and was not consistent. The hardest part of my job was knowing that the patients were not always being provided the cares they needed related to constant short staffing.
I have seen both sides. Would NOT recommend to anyone!
Corporate Office (Former Employee) –  Austintown, OHJanuary 1, 2015
As a former employee and having a family member as a resident, I would not recommend Shepherd of the Valley as a place of employment or as a place for a loved one. They are a money hungry organization that claims to be not for profit. The management staff plays favoritism. The turn over rate is very high and it's due to staff being over worked and underpaid.
Cons
over worked, underpaid, no bonuses, very minimal raises
Not the worst job/not the best job
Other (Current Employee) –  Howland, OHNovember 5, 2014
They pay above minimum wage but you won't get 40 hours cause they don't want to pay benefits. Some of the management are petty and will pick at petty issues concerning employees but won't address the real concerns going on with residents. Management also comes in early and leaves by 3:30. The most enjoyable part of the job is the residents. The hardest part is when they pass away. We take care of them and don't get a chance to grieve. Most co-workers are decent to work with. There is a high turnover rate here with RA's and STNA's. You don't even get to know people's names half the time.
Pros
residents
Cons
pay, high turnover rate, some bad management
chaotic
Ohio. Per Diem floor RN (Former Employee) –  warren, ohioSeptember 19, 2014
chaotic day to day operations. no team work. not recommended.
Pros
its a job
Cons
chaotic
Peacful and Exceptional Nursing care from Staff and Management
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Howland Center, OHJuly 24, 2014
I have only worked at SOV in the field of healthcare, and after all of the nursing school clinical experience i have been through I would not want to work anywhere else in the Trumbull county area. 5 star facility, with excellence in all client care!
Pros
great pay for the area, good management, hardworking employees, clean facility
Cons
short staffed at times
Never again
Nurse's Aide (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHApril 15, 2014
I had issues with a new D.O.N. who had zero respect for STNAs and residents. I worked midnight turn and they did everything they could to pass day turn's when off to midnight. The residents were treated like cattle, not people. Ethically and morally I had to leave because if my family were treated like that, I'd move then to another facility.
Pros
some good coworkers
Cons
lack of respect for residents and staff, unsafe amount of patients
its an ok place to work
STNA (Former Employee) –  OHMarch 27, 2014
work on day shift. It is very demanding. Management is always looking for ways to get u in trouble. The co-workers like to hide and play on there phones. I alawys feel rushed to try to get my work done.
Pros
the pay is ok
Cons
no time to take a break
Productive workplace
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 13, 2014
A typical day at work is very tedious. There is always work to be done. I have learned to interact with residents, management, and co-workers, while adjusting to different personalities and backgrounds. The hardest part of the job is learning and being trained on a different floor but the most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the residents.
Pros
pto
Cons
short breaks, health care coverage, no raises
Understaffed, Acuity of patients not considered when staffing
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYDecember 22, 2013
The unit I work on has 21 medicare patients with high acuity in more than half and they are staffed so low, I have to stay after my 12 hour shift for 3-4 hours just to chart.
Pros
co-workers supportive, hard working
Cons
management only concerned filling beds, does not consider staffing according to acuity on their "rehab unit"
Shepherd of the Valley was a good place to work.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poland, OHApril 29, 2013
A typical day at work would include caring for the residents, dietary, laundry, and visiting with the residents. I learned that team work is very important to do this kind of work. I had good co-workers. The hardest part of the job was when a resident passed away. The most enjoyable part of the job was doing activities with the residents.
Pros
i worked dayturn.
Dedicated employees
Head Nurse and Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Boardman, OHApril 23, 2013
Co-workers are loyal to the care and residents. Management lacks care towards the staff.
Pros
friendly employees
Cons
short staffed

2.6