Shepherd of the Valley Employee Reviews

STNA (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHNovember 11, 2017
Not a good place to work, unprofessional behavior, poor management. Wonderful resident miss them dearly, however they belong someplace where people actually care about them instead of money.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Decent job
RN (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHOctober 17, 2017
Staff is dedicated. Not enough staff. Management is consistent and ok. Busy place. Pay is fair at best. Too much work for one person to do. Residents are great.
Wonderful job culture and co-workers
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYAugust 8, 2017
Overall working at Shepherd of the Valley was a good experience, however there were down sides. Company did not adequately staff units so they are always short handed. Work is fast paced and stressful. CNA work is stressful as it is, however the company needs to provide more compensation and staffing.
nice workplace nice co workers
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHApril 22, 2017
It was a nice building and the co workers were great to work with my hrs never changed but I made it work with my home life.in order to advance schooling would be the only option.
Excellent opportunity to meet with all kinds with different needs
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Austintown, OHApril 13, 2017
Schedules can be very flexible around your current lifestyle while visiting the homes of those in need of assistance. There is always a chance of getting an uncooperative client, but with the right skills you can overcome the obstacle and still give good care. It's very enlightening to now you have fulfilled your duty and made someone happy all at the same time.
Best of the Best
Corporate Employee (Current Employee) –  Austintown, OHJanuary 6, 2017
I've been with the company a little over two years and I still love my job. My co-workers are great, the company treats their employees fairly. I feel that I have job security since they are expanding. Long Term Care is a constantly changing field and I feel that Shepherd is moving in the right direction, for their residents and for their employees. I am proud to say that I work for Shepherd of the Valley.
Pros
Competitive wages, yearly raises, team atmosphere
Cons
Health care is constantly changing
full-time available
State Tested Nurse's Aide (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHSeptember 4, 2016
Work short staff a lot, unprofessional, is very unethical at times, has poor management skills, not a lot of diversity when it comes to employees from different cultures.
Pros
full-time
Cons
no diversity
A great place to work
RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Poland, OH 44514August 30, 2016
Great place to work. Management is terrific. Co-workers are like family there. Never a dull moment. It is a not for profit company and is expanding. We are building on the Poland campus and have lots of jobs available.
Pros
Employee lunches are 2 dollars, Pay differential of .50 an hour for every hour you work, Friendly staff, Lots of employee picnics, parties, and activities
Cons
none that I've seen yet
Lovely place with great environment
Nursery Worker (Former Employee) –  Afton, MNJune 4, 2016
Playing with kids and goofing about with them. Watching them grow and learn while having an amazing time. I loved the people I worked with but then most of them left and times got mixed about.
Pros
Love the kids
Cons
not many
Official response from Shepherd of the Valley
April 5, 2017

We do not care for children at our facilities. Comment in error.

No team work , a lot of back stabbing , corporate office r too faced
STNA/Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Austintown, OHMay 24, 2016
No team work I loved my people that I took care of coworker don't do there work big turn over for Stna and in corporate office
Pros
Cons
Not good pay
A decent place to begin or finish career
Registered Nurse Third Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OHMay 1, 2016
The company is ok...often times, employees are not trusted or not empowered to do the right thing. Most of the employees/nurse there are amazing and very skilled. Families are always right no matter the circumstance. Management is not very great.
Pros
Amazing employees
Cons
No sick days--all PTO time that is used even if you do not consent
would not recommend employment with this corporation!!!!! As one family put it it's the best of the worst !
LPN (Former Employee) –  NilesDecember 15, 2015
Upper management sticks together! It's always someone else's fault for bad surveys, staffing issues or anything else going on in the buildings. Turnover rate is very high in all departments, always has been always will be. And now they have to bribe you to come to work for them by offering a sign on bonus.There is a pecking order and eventually you will be black balled by the corporation for their shortcomings. Upper management keeps their hands clean and makes lower management do their dirty work. This is where having a union would benefit employees. There are doctors that will not deal with certain facilities due to the incompetence and rudeness of the leadership in the buildings. I guess only certain people are allowed to be rude and intimidating. Maybe it's time for a change at the top. Residents are not taken care of properly due to the constant short staffing. I would never place a loved one of mine with this corporation knowing what I know.
Pros
None really
Cons
Very short staffed, high turnover, favoritism, unfairness
Shepherd of the Valley
STNA (Current Employee) –  Boardman, OHOctober 24, 2015
Shepherd is an okay place to work for. There are not a lot of perks and the benefits are not that good.The environment at this company is not the same it has a lot of confusion in the building its self but I guess if you are a hard worker you'll fly through the day and not pay attention to the non sense.
Fun job, but no hours for employees
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYOctober 19, 2015
I enjoyed this job of filling on shipping orders. It was sad to me that corporate offices decided to cut everyone's hours down to 10 hrs a week after the holidays.
Pros
fun
Cons
poor pay and hours
long term care
LPN (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHOctober 13, 2015
Although we felt understaffed we did our best to provide excellent patient care. There are really great workers at this facility that have a passion and drive to care for others.
Pros
Great Co workers, wonderful residents, Excellent compensation
Cons
short staffed, lack of teamwork, lack of appreciation
Enjoyable Workplace
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHAugust 24, 2015
A typical day work consisted of serving residents their food, bussing tables, and washing dishes. Though it sounds easy, some days were a little harder than others. I learned a lot of patience since I worked with elderly men and women who weren't always in the best moods, but I truly loved working with them. Working with them all day was the best part of my job.
The hardest part of the job was the fast pace, sometimes time just moved too fast and it seemed like you couldn't get everything done on time. Also, how hot it was in the building; elderly people love 70 degrees even if it's already 90 degrees outside.
My coworkers were very easy get along with and it was typically easy to do work with them, even people who weren't in my department.

All in all, I actually really enjoyed this job even if some days were tiring, but all jobs are like that.
Pros
seeing the smile on residents' faces
Cons
a lot for one employee to take on.
Home health Aide
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Austintown, OHJuly 20, 2015
Learned a lot about how different each Home Health Care Agency and environment is. Shepherd is okay and I like the people (aides) that I worked with and trained with.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Traveling far
very unorganized unable to work with schooling
lpn (Former Employee) –  nilesJune 30, 2015
bad hours.
nursing don and adn very rude.
co workers amazing on afternoons very helpful.
shortage of nurses.
residents are amazing
Cons
no lunch breaks
enjoyed all pts and direct staff daily
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYMarch 13, 2015
I extremely enjoy working with the geriatric population! However, the job required extremely long hours and was constantly short staffed. My love for the patients kept my dedication to the job going. Working in this environment I was continuously learning. Knowing medications and side effects is a big part of this job, but interpersonal skills is the main requirement. knowing your patients is essential to providing the best nursing care. Daily duties included, medication administration, documentation, wound care, occasional emergency care, working with Doctors and Pharmacies at facility or via fax or phone. Management changed frequently while I was there and was not consistent. The hardest part of my job was knowing that the patients were not always being provided the cares they needed related to constant short staffing.
I have seen both sides. Would NOT recommend to anyone!
Corporate Office (Former Employee) –  Austintown, OHJanuary 1, 2015
As a former employee and having a family member as a resident, I would not recommend Shepherd of the Valley as a place of employment or as a place for a loved one. They are a money hungry organization that claims to be not for profit. The management staff plays favoritism. The turn over rate is very high and it's due to staff being over worked and underpaid.
Pros
Cons
over worked, underpaid, no bonuses, very minimal raises

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shepherd of the Valley. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9