Sheppard Pratt Health System Employee Reviews

Overworked and Underpaid
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 16, 2018
I was told that I would need 15+ years of experience to receive a competitive salary. They mandate hours as well, so if you come in for an 8 hour shift you may be forced to work a 16. They are always understaffed due to high -turn over rate and injury of employees, who are paid very little for the amount of work expected. Overall, it was basically said that Mental health workers were a dime a dozen and easily replaceable, not valued by employer. Shifts are 7am-3:30pm, 3-11:30pm, or 11pm-7:30 am. Often would have to pick up 3+ shifts a week just to make any money.
Pros
Great experience, work with patients, overtime
Cons
Low pay, long hours, bad shifts.
My years have changed
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 5, 2018
Not a lot to say. My years have gone from great to a lot of work. The culture has changed a lot and not for the better necessarily. I love my clients but feel the lack of support from management has made it harder to work on the units.The key i guess is finding your fit and staying there. As a mhw there is no real room for advamcement unless your connected.
Interesting
EVS (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 26, 2017
It takes a lot out of you. But if you enjoy helping people, it's rewarding. If you do not have patience, this is not the job for you. This type of job isn't for everyone.
Run far run fast dont work here!!!!!
Staff Nurse, RN (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 22, 2017
This place is horrible!!!
Poor culture, no morale
Horrible management and they hire anyone from off the street they dont
Care! All they need is a body!
They don't appreciate the nurses that really work hard and they embrace whistle blowers!! And snitches
There style of management on all levels is demented and twisted!!
The turn over is real because you work short with inadaquate trained licensed staff
Cons
My Heart was in the place
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDNovember 9, 2017
I loved the thought of the job. I loved the thought of helping people through whatever had lead them to the door. I can honestly say that I gave it 100% and did everything in my power to help in anyway that I could. I soon found that my efforts were no match for the lack of integrity shown by co workers and poor management displayed but my managers. The most valuable skilled I learned there was quick problem solving and conflict resolution.
Productive, exciting and fun.
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 18, 2017
Working at Sheppard Pratt was interesting and I learned a lot about mental illness. They always had training programs and classes to help with anything pertaining your job. Their were all types of culture from Africans, Blacks, West Indians and Caucasians. The worst part of the job was seeing people so depress that they wanted to killed themselves. Seeing them get better and leave and knowing that you had a part in their progress was rewarding.
Pros
Staff parties
Cons
Short breaks
Good
Educational Assistant, Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MD 20743October 18, 2017
The staff was very knowledgeable of all the cases and the kids sometimes have good days and bad days; you have to just be prepared for what happens each day.
good
It was an okay experience
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDOctober 12, 2017
While working here, I only interacted with one person, my supervisor. It was only her and I in that department. Everything seem to move at a slow pace. It was not the worst job I've had, but it definitely was not the best.
Mechanical Trades Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 29, 2017
SHeppard Pratt is a good place to work, but there have been recent changes where the scope of the job and the expectations have dramatically increased without an increase in compensation.
Excellent supervisors
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 25, 2017
At the time I worked at Sheppard Pratt I was lucky enough to be supervised by two very good managers. Both helpful, gave good feedback and were very supportive. Benefits provided at the time were very good. Facility was adequate, but needed updating. I believe the Forbush School no longer exists. The new facility looks very nice. People I know who work there currently are happy with the facilities they work in.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Over sight by higher up management sometimes interfered with supervisor decisions
Stressful, no replacements when staff is out, management doesn't care, no time for a break, staff gets mandated on the units, & if u can't stay, fired
Staff RN (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 23, 2017
The staff & psychiatrists I have worked with have been great over the years, in Ellicott City as well as in Towson. Management has shown favoritism & a job promotion was given to someone who had no experience in the area I had applied for. Also, very stressful, & when issues of safety were brought up, promises made, never acted upon. General feeling that you are ultimately just a number to be replaced.
Pros
Benefits are good
Cons
Stressful, often dangerous environment, job threatened if you need to stay over to complete work. Management vindictive.
Supportive team
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDSeptember 9, 2017
Work together to help ensure safety and growth for the students and staff. Stressful at times in managing behaviors but overall very rewarding work to do.
My job is enjoyable
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 31, 2017
I enjoy working for the company. I work with children with autism and I love it. Yes it is challenging sometimes but administration is always there to help you.
interesting job, poor management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 27, 2017
poor management, no room for advancement, job intresting and fun the culture and attitude of poeple theer , most especially the management are below expectations.
Typical Day
Discharge Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDAugust 22, 2017
Atypical day at Sheppard Pratt includes treatment teams, unit meetings, coordination of car, time to engage with co workers and a positive work environment.
Does not address concerns and complaints from emu
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 19, 2017
Always uses low level employees to do assignments that they are not properly compensated for. No advancement. Does not show appreciation to staff. Lots of favorism. Inappropriate family relationships among managers and staff within same departments as well as HR. Security abuse their power, rude to staff, acts if they are police,no consistency among officers. HR does not investigate complaints, always side it's managers. Lots of lawsuits filed against company for termination in which Sheppard Pratt was found at fault. Lots of racism which is not addressed when complaints are reported. Transportation department is rude to patients and visitors. Wages does
Cons
no advancement, low wages, mandatory overtime, no cost of living for increase, most employees are still eligible for state benefits due to low wages.
Nice place to work
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 28, 2017
Just wish there were more opportunities for advancement for positions outside of nursing. Flexible schedule to accommodate school schedules is a bonus.
productive and good work
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 11, 2017
Great place to work. Has great benefits. working in an environment that allows for growth and individual learning. If you love working with people and seeing progress in their health, this is the place for you.
Pros
all good
Great healthcare facility
Internship - Adult Eating Disorder Unit (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 29, 2017
The nurses and mental heath teams really do care about their patients. They are always available for consultation from patients and offer their best advice and car at all times .
Pros
people truly care
Cons
professional burnout
Run for Cover. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  The Jefferson SchoolJune 26, 2017
You are just fed to the sharks with this position. This is a classic case of allowing the inmates to run the prison. I have never worked at a place where I was so dispensable. The administration doesn't care what happens to the staff, just so long as the children are happy. And by happy I mean they can have the freedom to harm staff and maybe, just maybe have to write about their actions. This place is not what it appears throughout orientation. Buyer BEWARE!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sheppard Pratt Health System. Our community is ready to answer.