Sheppard Pratt Health System Employee Reviews

Loved this job
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDMarch 10, 2016
It was easy and fun work with good pay and benefits. The people were easy to get along with an extremely helpful. The only issue is that it was a contracting position and not in my career path.
Cons
Contracting position
Provided general administrative assistance to department, processed forms and correspondence for promotions, transfers, leaves and resignations.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MarylandAugust 23, 2015
Sheppard Pratt provides services to individuals with a variety of mental health, substance abuse and behavioral issues. I worked in the human resources department providing general administrative support, maintained department computer system and manual files, provided assistance with annual increase cycles and benefit open enrollment process and worked closely with the finance department to efficiently facilitate changes.
Pros
Great organization, liked being part of the organization who facilitated the hire of employees, very fulfilling work and experience, Compensation Director was a great mentor and taught me a lot.
Cons
None really, just promoted up as far as I could without a degree, moved on to take position with Abilities Network.
Rewarding but extremely exhausting
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 14, 2016
On a typical day, I would be involved directly with patient care concerning their mental health. I would conduct group therapy practicing DBT, along with other group leaders. Working with patients and hearing their stories not only developed me and my skills in a positive way but motivated to move around in the company and affect patient care in multiple areas of the hospital.
Positive environment fostering a healing environment for those with mental illness
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 23, 2016
The hospital staff worked incredibly well to foster a therapeutic environment for the geriatric patients with mental illness. The staff were very open and willing to have the assistance of my peers and myself and offered teaching opportunities wherever appropriate.
beautiful ,challenging workplace that i was happy with...
lead mental health worker.. (Former Employee) –  ellicot city md.June 30, 2016
love working with people interacting with different people is welcoming it teaches me new things....my co workers were very nice we were more family oriented...
Pros
you get to make your own schudule....
Cons
breaks were not that long...
Excellent introduction to the healthcare field
Lead Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDMay 6, 2016
Sheppard Pratt granted me the privillage to work with younger populations suffering from acute psychiatric conditions. Through this experience I not only learned what it takes to deliver superior care, but also what it takes to maintain a well functioning organization.
Meaningful and relaxed job entry
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 16, 2016
This is a great place to start if you want to get into working in the mental health field. The job can include placing patients into seclusion or restraints, assisting with the admission process, and doing group notes.
A good place to work if you care more about your patients than the job itself.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 8, 2016
Sheppard Pratt does good work. They serve some of the most difficult patients around, and there are so many knowledgable, educated, experienced, and caring people on staff. Things have been very difficult recently in terms of staffing, however, to the point that the typically high turnover rate seems to be even higher, with staff resigning or transferring within 6 months of hire. There are some major staffing issues at play; clinical staff (RN, LPN, MHW) have been subject to frequent mandations and understaffing on the units, sometimes to the point where it is affecting the staff's ability to keep the units safe and to provide necessary services for patients. Staff will often be moved to other units within their service line to satisfy needs, but at the cost of short-staffing their home unit. The staffing office at SPHS is unsympathetic and unapologetic, and will give anyone who tries to call out a hard time, even in the case of actual illness or emergency, and bother the CNO at all hours of the day by forwarding call-outs to her personal phone. They are frequently citing policies that do not exist, and do not honor any agreements with staff who volunteer to pick up on their own units, meaning that there's a chance that you could get moved to another unit or even mandated when you volunteered to fill a need on your own unit.

All that aside, the organization itself has been incredibly accommodating while I have been in nursing school, allowing me to work a full-time weekend option contract. I have some of the best coworkers and I adore my patients.
Challenging yet rewarding workplace
Staff Nurse, Adult Day Hospital, (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2016
the most enjoyable part of the job was working one on one with the patients. I learned many valuable lessons from this company. I learned how to work well with multidisciplinary team.
Rewarding career choice in a positive work environment
Principal / Education Director (Current Employee) –  Special Education School Western Maryland RegionMarch 21, 2013
Working with caring, focused staff who share core values that are reflective of an entire health care system has been a bonus to an already interesting career field for me. Providing a venue for students/patients to receive the help they need to reach their potential has been a gratifying part of my job. Adequate compensation and and benefits and fine professional support has made my fourteen years working here quite comfortable.
Pros
professonal development and support opportunities
Cons
distance from the mother ship - we teleconference when we can
I have no complaints
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 11, 2016
I love the job culture, at Sheppard Pratt Health Systems. I find enjoyment in my line of work making a difference everyday.
Wonderful place to work
Housekeeping Tech II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 22, 2015
My typical day at Sheppard Pratt would be daily round routines in assigned area. I learned a lot about the patients, safety rules for me and the patients. My co workers was amazing , free spirit and very helpful when needed. The hardest part about my job was getting the floors stripped and wax by me being so petite It was hard. What I enjoy the most at my job was the people, putting smiles on people face and making them feel good on a bad day is heart warming.
Pros
Good pay, flexible hours and benefits
Cons
location in bad weather

Comment – July 10, 2015

We are delighted that you had such a positive experience while employed! Thank you for your review.

Sheppard Pratt Health System
Financial Case Management Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 25, 2016
Great people, rewarding job. We do help you heal. Sheppard's environment is warm and welcoming. As an employee, you will meet some of the greatest folks in the world and those folks will become a part of your every day team. It is a great place to thrive.
wonderful place to work i wish i never left
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 10, 2016
Wonderful place to work especially the residential program and school I loved it u get weekend option bonuses every six months for each shift worked if u do 7 am- 11 pm sat and sun that's 2,000 every six months the hospital side could use more compassionate managers and more flexibility with staffing.
Pros
diverse environment
Productive workplace
Educational Assistance (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2015
I like the company because they provide benefits for their employees and also pay for tuition reimbursement for those that still go to school,
Pros
benefit
Cons
no lunch time

Comment – July 10, 2015

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you are pleased with our benefit offerings and tuition reimbursement.

A rewarding job in a patient-centered environment
Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 12, 2013
I am a current employee and have worked here for over 10 years. The patient always comes first and that makes for a very rewarding workplace. Comparable salaries and benefits to other healthcare facilities. Great Co-workers!
Pros
free parking, educational opportunities, beautiful environment
Good place to work. Supportive and understanding organization
Education (Current Employee) –  Baltimore CountyMarch 20, 2013
Sheppart Pratt has always tried to do what is best to keep the organization running effectively, while still keeping patient/student/client needs first. They are caring and supportive to their employees.
Pros
supportive environment
Cons
sick time and leave benefits
Good place to work and learn
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  TowsonMarch 8, 2013
Great values, very worthwhile work. the co-workers are the best part of the job. The culture is traditional but change is occurring that is very positive. Glad I am here!
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
benefits and pay not the greatest but not too bad
Very nice and secure place to work.
manager (Current Employee) –  Towson CampusMarch 11, 2013
Good medical benefits & tuition assistance. 403(b) and retirement plans. Pleasant environment and coworkers, room for advancement. I feel I am a valued employee.
Love the patient population.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Elliott City, MDAugust 6, 2015
I adore working with this patient population, but the upper management does not seem to value their employees. Being that it is a relatively difficult patient population to work with day in and day out, it can make it more difficult to do our jobs when we don't feel valued on either end of the spectrum. We often feel as though we're treated as a means to an end, and the scheduling is highly inflexible.

Sheppard Pratt Health System Reviews by Location