Sheppard Pratt Health System Employee Reviews

Does not address concerns and complaints from emu
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 19, 2017
Always uses low level employees to do assignments that they are not properly compensated for. No advancement. Does not show appreciation to staff. Lots of favorism. Inappropriate family relationships among managers and staff within same departments as well as HR. Security abuse their power, rude to staff, acts if they are police,no consistency among officers. HR does not investigate complaints, always side it's managers. Lots of lawsuits filed against company for termination in which Sheppard Pratt was found at fault. Lots of racism which is not addressed when complaints are reported. Transportation department is rude to patients and visitors. Wages does
Cons
no advancement, low wages, mandatory overtime, no cost of living for increase, most employees are still eligible for state benefits due to low wages.
Nice place to work
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 28, 2017
Just wish there were more opportunities for advancement for positions outside of nursing. Flexible schedule to accommodate school schedules is a bonus.
productive and good work
Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 11, 2017
Great place to work. Has great benefits. working in an environment that allows for growth and individual learning. If you love working with people and seeing progress in their health, this is the place for you.
Pros
all good
Great healthcare facility
Internship - Adult Eating Disorder Unit (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 29, 2017
The nurses and mental heath teams really do care about their patients. They are always available for consultation from patients and offer their best advice and car at all times .
Pros
people truly care
Cons
professional burnout
Run for Cover. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  The Jefferson SchoolJune 26, 2017
You are just fed to the sharks with this position. This is a classic case of allowing the inmates to run the prison. I have never worked at a place where I was so dispensable. The administration doesn't care what happens to the staff, just so long as the children are happy. And by happy I mean they can have the freedom to harm staff and maybe, just maybe have to write about their actions. This place is not what it appears throughout orientation. Buyer BEWARE!!!
Great Doctors
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 1, 2017
Loved the work the doctors are doing here, the management was a little disorganized but currently undergoing positive changes with the new CEO. Schedule is limited, no PRN schedule, Part time is 32hrs.
Pros
Pt. care and customer service is awesome.
Cons
Limited Schedule, favoritism
Easy job with great employees, but the inadequate reimbursement makes it a mission of love.
ECT Physician (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 21, 2017
Good patients, great co-workers, good team -- but I could make more money as a waiter at a high end restaurant! The rewards of working with a treatment resistant population and making a difference are innumerable.
Pros
Great team!
Cons
No money!!
Great place for Mental Health Experience
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 28, 2017
This is a great start to gaining experience in mental health. You'll learn a lot about mental illness and physically seeing symptoms on a day to day basis. However, there is not many opportunities for growth as a mental health worker. The work becomes tedious and you'll eventually want to do other things.
Pros
Great place to gain experience.
Cons
Short breaks, staff injuries, workplace culture
Hard working community of dedicated staff.
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 21, 2017
Most shifts are 8 hours, which is less then desirable to the nursing staff. Management is hit or miss, many supervisors are wonderful at what they do, others should have never been promoted in the first place. Slightly less then desirable wage, but for full time employees you receive 26 days off per year, but no designated sick time. The best days are when you actually see yourself make a difference in a patient's life, and fortunately, this happens often at SPHS. Worst part of the job is the holiday schedule and dealing with not so nice managers.
Pros
Time off is almost always granted, good communication.
Cons
Low salary, mandation, management
Mental health worker (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 17, 2017
A Typical work day would include me arriving 15 min early. Checking the log to see what patients I have. I would also look at the notes from night shift to evaluate how they been during night. I really enjoyed making a difference. But, the hardest part was connecting to each patient. The work place culture was diverse but that wasn't a problem.
Sheppard Pratt Overview
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 21, 2017
Sheppard Pratt Health System had an environment where I knew that I was going to leave with skills and ethics that I will hold onto for the rest of my life. Even though they did not work you to hard there was always work to be completed.
Pros
There was always lunch available
Cons
Overtime
very bad managment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 19, 2017
n/a very poor managment. This place makes you not want to come to work. So much drama between the management and the regular staff. They barley allow you to take days off even if you have pto.
Mental Healh Services
administrative assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 18, 2017
Provides outstanding Mental Health Services. Committed to providing the community with a variety of services to ensure the best possible mental health services available.
Fun place to work with good people
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Elliott, MDJanuary 9, 2017
Great place to work, great people with a family type atmosphere with great benefits also the pay is great....
I come in to work, and start off by setting up the serving station with the meal for the day, then once the line is set then I work on setting up the salad bar and drink station until the the time to feed the patients
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long breaks
Overall decent place to work, despite the management
Housekeeper/Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 15, 2016
The management in the Environmental Service department is unprofessional and vindictive. They tend to jump on technicalities when it suites them and turn a blind eye to others who do the same, if not worse.

However, I've never experienced anything other than courtesy and respect from anyone else in the hospital across all other departments.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
management
Decent place to work with not so great management
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 25, 2016
Overall working alongside my coworkers is what makes the job worthwhile. Management is very reminiscent of high school. They are very vindictive and not professional. There is gossiping and bashing of others; most of which is started right in the office. Despite the fact that it is supposed to be a professional environment, employees are treated, by management, with personal feelings. If the supervisor doesn't personally care for an employee, they treat them worse than most other employees. They tend to give more work to the employees that they don't care for, while others do hardly anything throughout the 8 hour shift.

There are a few managers that want the department to operate as "one team" but because the overall morale is so badly damaged, its practically impossible.
Fun Workplace
Residential Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 22, 2016
There was never a dull day at this facility. I enjoyed helping this clients overcome obstacles and barriers in their lives. There were challenging times however I enjoyed making a difference in these children lives.
Productive time to advance career
Eating Disorders Unit Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 27, 2016
The location is prime if you are a driver. Right next to major highways. I learned a lot about my career aspirations and gained many mentors here. Definitely worth working
Staff are awesome to work with
Assistant Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 28, 2016
The staff are awesome to work with and the schedule is very family friendly. The schedule is very family friendly. The principal is awesome to work with and takes time to listen to concerns.
Rewarding but extremely exhausting
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 14, 2016
On a typical day, I would be involved directly with patient care concerning their mental health. I would conduct group therapy practicing DBT, along with other group leaders. Working with patients and hearing their stories not only developed me and my skills in a positive way but motivated to move around in the company and affect patient care in multiple areas of the hospital.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sheppard Pratt Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Sheppard Pratt Health System Reviews by Location