Sheppard Pratt Health System

Sheppard Pratt Health System Employee Reviews

Decent place to work with not so great management
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 25, 2016
Overall working alongside my coworkers is what makes the job worthwhile. Management is very reminiscent of high school. They are very vindictive and not professional. There is gossiping and bashing of others; most of which is started right in the office. Despite the fact that it is supposed to be a professional environment, employees are treated, by management, with personal feelings. If the supervisor doesn't personally care for an employee, they treat them worse than most other employees. They tend to give more work to the employees that they don't care for, while others do hardly anything throughout the 8 hour shift.

There are a few managers that want the department to operate as "one team" but because the overall morale is so badly damaged, its practically impossible.
Fun Workplace
Residential Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 22, 2016
There was never a dull day at this facility. I enjoyed helping this clients overcome obstacles and barriers in their lives. There were challenging times however I enjoyed making a difference in these children lives.
Productive time to advance career
Eating Disorders Unit Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 27, 2016
The location is prime if you are a driver. Right next to major highways. I learned a lot about my career aspirations and gained many mentors here. Definitely worth working
Staff are awesome to work with
Assistant Behavior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 28, 2016
The staff are awesome to work with and the schedule is very family friendly. The schedule is very family friendly. The principal is awesome to work with and takes time to listen to concerns.
Rewarding but extremely exhausting
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 14, 2016
On a typical day, I would be involved directly with patient care concerning their mental health. I would conduct group therapy practicing DBT, along with other group leaders. Working with patients and hearing their stories not only developed me and my skills in a positive way but motivated to move around in the company and affect patient care in multiple areas of the hospital.
A good place to work if you care more about your patients than the job itself.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 8, 2016
Sheppard Pratt does good work. They serve some of the most difficult patients around, and there are so many knowledgable, educated, experienced, and caring people on staff. Things have been very difficult recently in terms of staffing, however, to the point that the typically high turnover rate seems to be even higher, with staff resigning or transferring within 6 months of hire. There are some major staffing issues at play; clinical staff (RN, LPN, MHW) have been subject to frequent mandations and understaffing on the units, sometimes to the point where it is affecting the staff's ability to keep the units safe and to provide necessary services for patients. Staff will often be moved to other units within their service line to satisfy needs, but at the cost of short-staffing their home unit. The staffing office at SPHS is unsympathetic and unapologetic, and will give anyone who tries to call out a hard time, even in the case of actual illness or emergency, and bother the CNO at all hours of the day by forwarding call-outs to her personal phone. They are frequently citing policies that do not exist, and do not honor any agreements with staff who volunteer to pick up on their own units, meaning that there's a chance that you could get moved to another unit or even mandated when you volunteered to fill a need on your own unit.

All that aside, the organization itself has been incredibly accommodating while I have been in nursing school, allowing me to work a full-time weekend option contract. I have some of the best coworkers and I adore my patients.
beautiful ,challenging workplace that i was happy with...
lead mental health worker.. (Former Employee) –  ellicot city md.June 30, 2016
love working with people interacting with different people is welcoming it teaches me new things....my co workers were very nice we were more family oriented...
Pros
you get to make your own schudule....
Cons
breaks were not that long...
Positive environment fostering a healing environment for those with mental illness
Student Nurse / Clinical Rotations (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 23, 2016
The hospital staff worked incredibly well to foster a therapeutic environment for the geriatric patients with mental illness. The staff were very open and willing to have the assistance of my peers and myself and offered teaching opportunities wherever appropriate.
Meaningful and relaxed job entry
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 16, 2016
This is a great place to start if you want to get into working in the mental health field. The job can include placing patients into seclusion or restraints, assisting with the admission process, and doing group notes.
I have no complaints
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 11, 2016
I love the job culture, at Sheppard Pratt Health Systems. I find enjoyment in my line of work making a difference everyday.
Excellent introduction to the healthcare field
Lead Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MDMay 6, 2016
Sheppard Pratt granted me the privillage to work with younger populations suffering from acute psychiatric conditions. Through this experience I not only learned what it takes to deliver superior care, but also what it takes to maintain a well functioning organization.
Challenging yet rewarding workplace
Staff Nurse, Adult Day Hospital, (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2016
the most enjoyable part of the job was working one on one with the patients. I learned many valuable lessons from this company. I learned how to work well with multidisciplinary team.
Loved this job
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lanham, MDMarch 10, 2016
It was easy and fun work with good pay and benefits. The people were easy to get along with an extremely helpful. The only issue is that it was a contracting position and not in my career path.
Cons
Contracting position
Sheppard Pratt Health System
Financial Case Management Representative (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 25, 2016
Great people, rewarding job. We do help you heal. Sheppard's environment is warm and welcoming. As an employee, you will meet some of the greatest folks in the world and those folks will become a part of your every day team. It is a great place to thrive.
wonderful place to work i wish i never left
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 10, 2016
Wonderful place to work especially the residential program and school I loved it u get weekend option bonuses every six months for each shift worked if u do 7 am- 11 pm sat and sun that's 2,000 every six months the hospital side could use more compassionate managers and more flexibility with staffing.
Pros
diverse environment
Cons
Provided general administrative assistance to department, processed forms and correspondence for promotions, transfers, leaves and resignations.
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MarylandAugust 23, 2015
Sheppard Pratt provides services to individuals with a variety of mental health, substance abuse and behavioral issues. I worked in the human resources department providing general administrative support, maintained department computer system and manual files, provided assistance with annual increase cycles and benefit open enrollment process and worked closely with the finance department to efficiently facilitate changes.
Pros
Great organization, liked being part of the organization who facilitated the hire of employees, very fulfilling work and experience, Compensation Director was a great mentor and taught me a lot.
Cons
None really, just promoted up as far as I could without a degree, moved on to take position with Abilities Network.
Love the patient population.
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Elliott City, MDAugust 6, 2015
I adore working with this patient population, but the upper management does not seem to value their employees. Being that it is a relatively difficult patient population to work with day in and day out, it can make it more difficult to do our jobs when we don't feel valued on either end of the spectrum. We often feel as though we're treated as a means to an end, and the scheduling is highly inflexible.
Nice people
Health System Credentialing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 25, 2015
Work environment was friendly, but systems are out of date and a lot of work must be done manualy until the systems are updated.
its okay
Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 18, 2015
have to work every other weekend. at times you are made to stay an extra 8 hour shift . Must be able to handle all types of people
Productive workplace
Educational Assistance (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 7, 2015
I like the company because they provide benefits for their employees and also pay for tuition reimbursement for those that still go to school,
Pros
benefit
Cons
no lunch time

Comment – July 10, 2015

Thank you for your review. We are happy that you are pleased with our benefit offerings and tuition reimbursement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sheppard Pratt Health System. Our community is ready to answer.

Sheppard Pratt Health System Reviews by Location