Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,034 reviews matching the search
A poorly run company with bad management
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Holland MichiganJuly 21, 2016
If you want to work your life away on old technology out of the 60s and deal with a bunch of workers that don't care about their jobs anymore, and you have no parts and you work seven days a week with poor benefits other than the retirement. This is a fortune 500 company with over $11 billion in sales and they run it with like there a broke or in bankruptcy.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
Working conditions, poor management, Old machinery, and no parts to repair it with
Excellent product line and market penetration.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILJuly 15, 2016
A typical workday consisted of the following activities:

Customer facing sales opportunities
Training sessions with Lowes employees
Planning meetings with SW manager
Internal training on new product launches
Manage territory month to month performance
Team travel to support special sales promotions
Inventory management at all 9 Lowes locations

This was a fun and challenging job, which provided a standard list of activities however it also allowed for a certain amount of creative individual ideas.
Pros
Excellent products and strong distribution channel
sherwin Williams
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJune 24, 2016
opener manager will come in at 6:45am and get the store ready for the day by counting the drawers. The sales associate will come in at 7am and will usually work a 4 hour shift or possibly a full 8 hour shift. Us as sales associate will aid our customers to the right paint for there color and taste and there creativity side for what they are about to paint. Then we will grab that paint and make it to their desired color they chose. Mix it in the back and then proceed to sell them the paint. If contractors usually will call ahead and give us direct orders of specific paint color and product. We will then put it in the computer so we can make it and have it ready for when they get there to pick it up.
Paint.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Somewhere USAJuly 12, 2016
Pretty good company to work for.

They hired me even though I was colorblind.

Working there was pretty legit, show up, mix paint, get paid.
Customers can be rude, but it comes with the business.

Coworkers can be cool, so that's a plus.

Sometimes you have to put your life on hold for them though, which was pretty bad.
Pros
Short workdays, decent pay if you don't do much in the social side of your life.
Cons
Some co workers can be pretty lazy, as I said... sometimes you have to put your life on hold so people can get their paint.
See comments
Store color consultant/ Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJune 25, 2016
This is a good company for someone with a degree who wants to move up to a management position quickly. There is good training for those who are interested. I am not interested in management, and they don't offer any room for me as far as advancement, hours, and benefits are concerned. I have enjoyed my work experience with this company, but my current situation requires me to pursue full time work with a reputable company with room to advance. I would like a base pay and commission.
Pros
Flexible work schedule and friendly co-workers with a team spirit. 401K options available.
Cons
No time and a half for Sundays. No sick time or medical benefits for part timers.
Corporate world
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 20, 2016
It's only easy to move up if you have a bachelor's degree. My advice? Stay an assistant manager as long as you can. Managers work endless hours without getting a new ASM for months sometimes. And those endless hours are not compensated as you are salaried. Also, this company is not for the brutally honest. It's a corporate world, you have to be willing to compromise your morals if you hope to move up! Other than that, loved my customers and still have good friendships with them, and learned a lot about paint...
Pros
Customer relationships, knowledge of P&L, discount on paint
Cons
Salaried and long hours (70+ per week), honesty doesn't go far in the corporate world
Coworker Support and Teamwork
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCJune 21, 2016
Opportunistic atmosphere for skills achievement in a globally owned and operated corporation that is provisional on a permanent or temporary basis initially via temporary agency only for an undetermined number of years by global and corporate management worldwide in order to facilitate adequate employee-job matches terminable at any given time via collective managerial opinion polls.
Pros
Skill advancement in customer service
Cons
Somewhat physically demanding at times
Store of paint and coating for home and industry
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cabo Rojo Municipio, PRJune 14, 2016
•In charge of Safety Polices, Daily Reports, Training, Management, Supervision, Payroll and other.
•Certified; Hazard Waste Management, OSHA Adopts, Global Privacy Policies, Code of Conduct, Safety Procedures and other.
•Travel various times in EU for Assistant Manager Training, Sales Meeting Training and Store Manager Training.
•Develop and implement creative marketing strategies designed to increase market share.
Wonderful Customers
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Williston, NDJune 10, 2016
I absolutely love working for Sherwin Williams. The customers that come in are amazing and I easily created new relationships with them. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers pick different color combinations for their homes. My coworkers are amazing to me. The direct store management definitely needed some work but Sherwin Williams Corporate office listens to their workers and tries their best to make everyones experience a wonderful one.
Poorly
Lead Decorative Specialist/ Interior Designer (Former Employee) –  Huber Heights, OHJuly 8, 2016
Usually a new manager in the store with like every year and a half. No advancement without college degree. Seems like rather hiring associates with in the company to move up they hire of the street and train 6 weeks to be a manager. With that being said that manager has no knowledge of products and the clients that come into that store.
Pros
Great entry starter for a real job
Cons
Work to hard and not enough in return.
Plenty of work for low compensation
Sales Associate - Key Holder (Current Employee) –  NJJune 2, 2016
Long hours where there is no break offered and as a key holder you are often stuck with closing or opening alone which can be rather unsafe. There are usually not too many people who are staffed therefore, all of the responsibility of the store falls on even those who are just part-time. They use the "culture" of the business as a way to use the employees and not show them appreciation for the hard work they do put into the position.
Pros
Decent pay after working in the business for a short amount of time
Cons
No breaks and safety concerns
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 2, 2016
Typical day at work includes heavy lifting and tinting of tons of paint products. If you do not know much about paint, it is a big learning curve to learn about proper application and preparation, all of the different products and different tools. Management is friendly, you don't see upper management much. Co-workers are great and supportive, it is a great team environment. The hardest part of the job is the stress on the body physically especially if you are at a busy store. Some days you could have to tint 500 gallons of paint. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know the contractors and painters that come in almost every day and learn about what jobs they are working on.
Pros
good pay, breaks, benefits
Cons
hard work
Reasonable
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  oregonJuly 25, 2016
The pay is reasonable for a job with very little prerequisite qualifications. The path to management is open and store level managers are usually helpful. The seasonal high volume of paint being moved, stacked, tinted, shipped, and stored can be challenging for smaller, weaker individuals. The opportunity to learn about specialty coatings is available to those willing to invest their attention.
Sherwin-Williams
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLMay 10, 2016
Its a great company. You'll learn a lot there about their business and how it operates. Its a family type work experience. you should try to learn the names of all the paint contractors. It helps with yours and Sherwin-Williams reputation. If you're a college student this would be a great opprotunity to learn work ethics and business ethics. Like any job this job can get stressful at times but you can take a break to manage the high volumes of stress.
Great experience... Fun even when it's busy.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 7, 2016
I worked for Sherwin Williams for 5 yrs. Started in the warehouse making $9hr and when I left I was making incredible money.. Salary, benefits, and bonuses. The guys you work with are great and days go by fast having that much fun. There are some down sides to this though. The toxins in the air from thinners, lacquer, and solvent base products have destroyed my kidneys and liver. After 5 yrs of breathing the toxins and getting it on my skin, only 20% of my kidneys are functioning. When I got hired no one told me about wearing mask and gloves. Consider this for your health. Money isn't everything.
Pros
Great co-workers, ability to advance quickly, good pay
Cons
TOXINS WILL DESTROY YOUR BODY!!!
Not Rewarding
Assistant Manager/MTP (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INMay 28, 2016
when you are hired in as an assistant manager (which is most likely the only full time positions available) you don't have much of a choice in which store or which manager you'll be working with. I had the better part of a year working with a sexist and condescending manager. He would belittle me and make me feel useless. I was never delegated any tasks. He would openly mock minorities and women in front of me and customers. After he moved to another store, it was me and another part time employee. I literally could not take a day off. I could not close the store early, or leave to get food, or leave to use the restroom when our toilet broken. I have felt like a prisoner tied to the store since I was placed here. I have tried to switch rolls in the company but have been denied 5 times. I am done.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
fun and easy going envorment
Sale associate (Former Employee) –  Lake Stevens, WAApril 30, 2016
A typical day involves moving and tinting paint as well as taking and writing order over the phone and in person. i learned a lot about sales and direct customer facing and how a customers attitude must not affect mine. The management was great and polite and i enjoyed working with them and with the contractors that bought paint from us on a regular bases. the only negative i can say about my time was it was part time and not full time. but that was nothing they could control.
Pros
lots of downtime and schedule done well in advanced
Cons
not enough hours
Relaxed working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 12, 2016
Selling paint to either commercial operations or do-it-yourself project seekers. Learned to aid people in deciding on correct paint color, texture, and type. Management was knowledgable and helpful. Coworkers were available to help and to train. The job was difficult at times because of large orders and heavy lifting. The job had a good work/life balance.
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
Heavy lifting
Laid Back , Supportive Crew
Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJuly 25, 2016
The workload hasn't been overwhelming so far. Summer is our slow season so it makes sense. The customers are much easier to work with than those in the food service business. The People I work with are great. No one has issues with one another. The managers are pretty laid back and don't get too bossy. Only downside of this job is the extended periods of downtime.
Sherwin Williams
Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAMay 18, 2016
It's a super motivated and passionate company. Full with so many employee's that are driven to succeed. The mindset at this job is customers first. They are all about customer experience, and quality of their products. The company is definitely older, but is not behind with their logistics. They are always looking for new ways to improve and become more efficient.
Pros
motivated
Cons
slow pace