Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews

Found 1,220 reviews matching the search
Bad place to work in my opinion.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIJanuary 19, 2017
Supervisors lack any good leadership skills. I know what good leadership looks like; 12 years in the us navy showed me.
Maintenance department is very disorganized. The maintenance manager left about 5 months ago, no replacement yet. Long hours, usually 8's that can turn into 12's with no heads up at all. There are no employee suggestion boxes. Management cares only about machine operators. Maintenance personnel are treated like dirt by managers and alot of the spoiled brat operators. Do not work here in maintenance unless you like being treated like dirt. There are places out there that care about maintenance personnel, this is not one of them. I have alot to say about this place. Overall opinion: this maintenance job is Not worth the money.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No performance based raises
Great Company For College Graduates
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hesperia, CAOctober 23, 2016
This is an excellent company to work for with career advancement opportunity. If you do not have a college degree, your career advancement chances are very low. At the store level, all job positions are labor intensive. At the store level, the job is basically retail.
Pros
Great pay for Managers, Great internship for college students, Great Management in Training Program for college graduates, Very fast career advanvement for college graduates, Easily relocate with same job position and pay
Cons
Part time employees not paid well, No work-life balance, Over 55 hours plus for Managers, Expected to work through your required breaks, Rarely take lunch as scheduled due to store volume, Company culture is not the same due to old school store managers, Store manager will take a loss of sale and product, if the customer ordered wrong, Some stores use seniority when the company goes off of performance and education, Some stores dont have a diverse group of employees
If you are a mindless drone and enjoy being underpaid work here
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 13, 2016
As long as you can act like a doormat for customers you will do great. Most of the managers only care about making sure they keep the customers and could care less how the customers treat you. The pay is a joke for the work and the managers are the only ones that get any type of bonus which is ridiculous. How are the managers the only ones that receive bonuses or receive any kind of training with all expense paid mini vacations when the employees that help make the company can't even get a Christmas bonus or a decent raise.
Pros
Some great co workers, the only reason I stayed as long as I did
Cons
Pay, Depending on where you work management will not have your back no matter if you are right
Management is terrible
Mixer Operator (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GADecember 1, 2016
This used to be a good place to work, but over the last few years it has declined rapidly. Management does not care about employees, too much overtime, we can never do enough, constantly told how bad we are performing. Managers lay all the blame on supervision, but they are spread too thin. Management is not present amongst the work force. Constantly being told how broke the plant is, yet management has no problem feeding theselves lunch with company money.
If you do a good job you are given more work. If you don't do a good job you are ignored and allowed to sit around. Advancement is based on the good ole boy network, not ability or qualifications. Good workers are leaving rapidly, while the bad workers are still hanging around.
Also, expect that managers will share your personal information with others. There is no such thing as confidentiality. Retirement plan for hourly workers is basically non existent.
Pros
Compensation is ok.
Great company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaDecember 4, 2016
Individual with degrees have greater chances at advancement with this company. The pay could be increased a little but overall very competitive. Reward recognition is through the roof. The career paths are straight forward and this company is performance based which is awesome!
Pros
Stability. Decent Pay. Some work/life balance with time management.
Cons
Customer base is horrible. Painters can be mean. Customer are always right even when they are wrong.
Wonderful place to work
Decorative Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 23, 2016
It's been a wonderful place to work!! Great place for career advancement if you're looking for management. The culture is very supportive, most the managers I've worked under have been great.
Being a DPS has been fun, I love helping the customers select colors for their home! Unfortunately it is a retail setting, so consultations come second in many instances.
Pros
Great benefits, supportive atmosphere
Cons
short breaks
Awesome Company with awesome compensation and benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 25, 2016
The company is a best-kept secret when it comes to compensation and benefits. The schedule is awesome and the corporate side isn't overbearing. However, unless you're willing to relocate, opportunities to move up aren't really there. However, there is a regular raise schedule every 6 months for the first 18-24 mos, if you go in through the Management Trainee Program.
Pros
salary and benefits day 1 of training. Awesome people willing to help
Cons
seniority is everything, even when it comes to resolving clear issues.
Great beginning
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 30, 2016
I started working here right after I graduated from college. From the very beginning I was welcomed by all the employees in my district and learned a lot about what all the job included. The job includes a lot of heaving lifting and learning about the large world of paint. I enjoyed learning about management while also making a good amount of money. There is also a great opportunity for advancement here.
Pros
great culture and wonderful co-workers
Cons
heavy lifting
Good for flexibility with limited to no advancement.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  New Iberia, LAJanuary 10, 2017
Nice environment as far as coworkers, although, if you are looking for career advancement, I would not recommend this job. A typical day includes stocking in the warehouse, delivering orders to high end customers, taking care of customer needs, tinting paint orders, color coordination, and maintaining a positive work environment. Management is awesome besides the amount of work that they put into the store. Coworkers are respectable, professional, and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job is dealing with harsh/rude customers. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the daily interaction with my coworkers. Overall, I have learned how to maintain being a positive employee despite the situation and/or circumstance.
Sherwin Williams
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Liberty, TXJanuary 15, 2017
Sherwin Williams is a great company. I have met many of the high-end executives & they are all very personable & eager for you to succeed. There is a good work life balance, & compensation is fair. Great place to start a career, there are tons of opportunities if you are willing to be mobile to receive them.
Sherwin Williams
Warehouse Manager/Supervisor/full time (Former Employee) –  Oxford, FLNovember 20, 2016
Worked for Sherwin Williams for a year and wasn't advanced for my pay. Was told on many occasions it was coming but my manager's never put time in to fill out the appraisal properly.should have been full time raise,3rd key raise, then appraisal. Had to open and close a store and take bank deposit even though I wasn't 3rd key but just a full time. I worked hard for Sherwin Williams and basically just got put to the back of the burner. Stayed at 9.50$ the whole year. Was told by my manager and others I will get a raise of 10.80 which is the same pay a part time 3rd key makes. That is withholding my dollar raise because I was full time. Other than that and the occasional cranky contractor it was smooth..
Great part-time workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXSeptember 30, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience working at Sherwin Williams. The management was great, the clientele was enjoyable to interact with, and the wages were good for an entry-level position. However management heavily prioritizes part-time help to the detriment of advancement opportunities.
Pros
Top-Notch management, friendly work culture, very helpful in learning the job
Cons
Poor advancement opportunities, lots of heavy lifting
Good job if you're willing to work hard, limited advancement potential.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 26, 2016
This is a good job if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and a little heavy lifting.
My main concern is that it's difficult to advance into management without either a college degree or entering their management trainee program.
Pros
Good benefits, steady hours
Cons
Heavy lifting, limited advancement potential
Overall a good job experience
Division Training Administrator (Former Employee) –  West Chester, PANovember 17, 2016
I had the pleasure of sustaining various levels of management. Mentoring employees during their training periods was satisfying knowing my effective communication skills assisted in the growth towards their career goals.

Carrying out logistics is an important phase in bringing together events in a timely matter. Fellow employees were able to have detailed information at hand, therefore, being well prepared.

Effectively overseeing the office work flow required making sound judgments and key financial decisions. I had valuable relationships with employees, clients, vendors and visitors.
overall poor place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 28, 2016
I worked here for over three months as a driver. Employees are started on a part time basis from 12PM until about 4PM monday through friday with a 10/Hr. rate. Full time is reserved for friends of management to be hired over you. The training I received consisted of about 30 minutes of conversation over an 8 hour day and a couple training videos. I was forgotten about for almost a week and swept the warehouse for almost three hours per day. You are required to have a smart phone with GPS that you will use throughout the day at your cost. The benefits and stock options were good but most people may feel burned because of spending more time and money driving to work than you will make.
Pros
working alone, trucks have AC, health insurance
Cons
poor pay, poor hours, no AC in warehouse, heavy lifting, poor employee behavior
Okay place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  AlabamaAugust 26, 2016
The positive is that you do get to meet interesting people and you'll have some customers who are your favorites. The better relationships you build the more understanding they'll be when you're short staffed. Unfortunately, you'll be short staffed frequently. Short-staffing and long hours can make anyone miserable. Hardest part of the job depending on the location is the sheer volume of customers. One location I worked was slow and another was nonstop chaotic. It was difficult to get paperwork done as well as cleaning and restocking because if a customer wasn't in store then the phone was ringing. It made it difficult to learn at times as well as take the time necessary to find information for customers. Especially in summer, it was nearly impossible to get a lunch break (even when scheduled) never mind go to the bathroom. Different company cultures in different locations pose a problem because some places expect you to work past your hours for free and ignore ethical dilemmas and HR issues. Some regions are very by the books and some aren't.
Pros
401k matching, bonuses
Cons
Long hours, limited breaks, short-staffed, feel like a glorified sales associate
overall good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 22, 2016
Decent place to work, but dont expect much of a promotion unless you got a degree. Fast paced in the mornings with contractors, slow in the afternoons with DIY.

Pros: pretty laid back, contractors are great to work with and usually teach you more about paint than anyone else in the company can. Alot of them will bring you breakfast in the mornings and BS with you until they're ready to get to work. 2 Managers that came through while I worked there were great and worked hard.

Cons: picking up the slack from co-workers who wouldnt do much. Getting a asst. manager who doesnt know anything to do with painting, much less even want to be there that they just relocated from some random college, and they do the same job as you if not less for about triple the pay.
Pros
good managers, pretty flexible with your time
Cons
cheap raises, no promotion from within
Energetic exciting company to work for.
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 16, 2017
The management and most co-workers were good people. The hardest part of the job was keeping customers happy. The most enjoyable pat of the job was making customers happy.
Pros
Great 401K, Stock plan, advancement opportunities
Cons
When operators didn't want to make what was needed
Solid company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTOctober 6, 2016
A typical day would be stopping by a Sherwin Williams store to check in with the store manager first thing in the morning. Discuss any opportunities as far as sales, opening new accounts, what I will be doing that day in that area. Seeing 7-10 accounts .

Sherwin Williams has a lot of training for their employees. Product training, sales training,management. There is also a lot of different job advancement opportunities if you chose do to so.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting with people and building relations.

I got tired of the micro management. A lot of reps have left for that reason.
Pros
Company car, phone, credit card
Cons
Too much micro management
See comments
Store color consultant/ Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJune 25, 2016
This is a good company for someone with a degree who wants to move up to a management position quickly. There is good training for those who are interested. I am not interested in management, and they don't offer any room for me as far as advancement, hours, and benefits are concerned. I have enjoyed my work experience with this company, but my current situation requires me to pursue full time work with a reputable company with room to advance. I would like a base pay and commission.
Pros
Flexible work schedule and friendly co-workers with a team spirit. 401K options available.
Cons
No time and a half for Sundays. No sick time or medical benefits for part timers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sherwin-Williams. Our community is ready to answer.