Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews

Found 1,311 reviews matching the search
Bad place to work in my opinion.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Holland, MIJanuary 19, 2017
Supervisors lack any good leadership skills. I know what good leadership looks like; 12 years in the us navy showed me.
Maintenance department is very disorganized. The maintenance manager left about 5 months ago, no replacement yet. Long hours, usually 8's that can turn into 12's with no heads up at all. There are no employee suggestion boxes. Management cares only about machine operators. Maintenance personnel are treated like dirt by managers and alot of the spoiled brat operators. Do not work here in maintenance unless you like being treated like dirt. There are places out there that care about maintenance personnel, this is not one of them. I have alot to say about this place. Overall opinion: this maintenance job is Not worth the money.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No performance based raises
Great company with a great atmosphere.
Sales and Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  TAMUNING, GUFebruary 27, 2017
Working with this company not only taught me a lot about sales and customer service but had also taught me a lot on how to keep a high motivated and friendly work environment between entry level employees and management staff. My most enjoyable part of this job was being able to be tested on my knowledge i have obtained by being tested with verbal questions by upper staff. They also were able to see the dedication and willingness to learn and improve in me that they had given me many opportunities and upraises for. We worked as a team and it just seemed to all fall into place. Even if there were certain faults with myself and others we were able to solve any problems together.
Sink or Swim culture
Internal Field Auditor (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 30, 2017
The company is growing fast. Most employees have little or no training, and it is a sink or swim environment. The average employee is in their mid twenties, and the culture reflects this lack of maturity and experience. Their was not a lot of team work actually occurring. Conversely, there was great expectations for employees to work together to achieve results. This resulted in frustration when trying to acquire the necessary information need to perform your job. No one knows what they are doing, but they are all working really hard at looking like they know what they are doing.
In addition the work/life balance here is the worst I have ever encountered. Quite literally you will be expected to work a large majority of weekends and nights, on your own time, to be able to achieve expected work performance goals.
Pros
Giving relative freedom to work independently and the responsibility to training yourself
Cons
Management is remote and frequently lack maturity or need leadership skills to perform their duties
If you are a mindless drone and enjoy being underpaid work here
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 13, 2016
As long as you can act like a doormat for customers you will do great. Most of the managers only care about making sure they keep the customers and could care less how the customers treat you. The pay is a joke for the work and the managers are the only ones that get any type of bonus which is ridiculous. How are the managers the only ones that receive bonuses or receive any kind of training with all expense paid mini vacations when the employees that help make the company can't even get a Christmas bonus or a decent raise.
Pros
Some great co workers, the only reason I stayed as long as I did
Cons
Pay, Depending on where you work management will not have your back no matter if you are right
Great Company For College Graduates
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hesperia, CAOctober 23, 2016
This is an excellent company to work for with career advancement opportunity. If you do not have a college degree, your career advancement chances are very low. At the store level, all job positions are labor intensive. At the store level, the job is basically retail.
Pros
Great pay for Managers, Great internship for college students, Great Management in Training Program for college graduates, Very fast career advanvement for college graduates, Easily relocate with same job position and pay
Cons
Part time employees not paid well, No work-life balance, Over 55 hours plus for Managers, Expected to work through your required breaks, Rarely take lunch as scheduled due to store volume, Company culture is not the same due to old school store managers, Store manager will take a loss of sale and product, if the customer ordered wrong, Some stores use seniority when the company goes off of performance and education, Some stores dont have a diverse group of employees
Productive job w/ great benefits
BRANCH SALES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Riviera Beach, FLFebruary 22, 2017
Dealing with multiple customers in a fast-paced environment. Answering a multi-line telephone and documenting customer orders and transactions. Processing multiple payments and handling cash. There is an extensive amount of knowledge to gain from this job. There are multiple tiers of management and that an entry-level employee has access to with proper requirements met. The job is incredibly labor-intensive, but the job security and full-time benefits are above average.
Pros
benefits, above minimum wage, 401k
Great company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaDecember 4, 2016
Individual with degrees have greater chances at advancement with this company. The pay could be increased a little but overall very competitive. Reward recognition is through the roof. The career paths are straight forward and this company is performance based which is awesome!
Pros
Stability. Decent Pay. Some work/life balance with time management.
Cons
Customer base is horrible. Painters can be mean. Customer are always right even when they are wrong.
Great place for a career
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 8, 2017
I really enjoy working for Sherwin Williams. If you are young and educated there are many career paths available.

The culture, unfortunately is just like any other large Fortune 500 company. There is a sense of pride and tradition, but too often this is mixed with a theme of conservatism that stifles innovation.

The product portfolio is vast and of the highest quality. However the main corporate marketing focus is on commercial and residential paint products. Many of the best products are rarely advertised. I work for the Automotive Division. I've sold the products for years and I've always been proud to represent the brand.

The management is always "hit or miss" in large corporate structures like this one. I've had great managers and then really bad ones. The problem with these large corporations and middle management is that too often they can avoid accountability with little repercussions. Most of the time the subordinates are let go when the failures are that of the management.

With a good manager and a good territory, this company is great to work for.
Pros
Set your own schedules
Cons
Insufficient Middle Management accountability
Bad Management
Management/Sales Intern (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDFebruary 25, 2017
Management is very old school and compensation is low for what you are expected to do. A lot of work for little pay. Work/life balance is awful. You are expected to work all holidays except for Christmas day and Thanksgiving day. I have had to work New Years Eve and Christmas eve. Who buys paint on those days seriously. you get paid very little for a lot of knowledge. No designated lunch break they make you work right through.
Good for flexibility with limited to no advancement.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  New Iberia, LAJanuary 10, 2017
Nice environment as far as coworkers, although, if you are looking for career advancement, I would not recommend this job. A typical day includes stocking in the warehouse, delivering orders to high end customers, taking care of customer needs, tinting paint orders, color coordination, and maintaining a positive work environment. Management is awesome besides the amount of work that they put into the store. Coworkers are respectable, professional, and fun to be around. The hardest part of the job is dealing with harsh/rude customers. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the daily interaction with my coworkers. Overall, I have learned how to maintain being a positive employee despite the situation and/or circumstance.
Sherwin Williams
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Liberty, TXJanuary 15, 2017
Sherwin Williams is a great company. I have met many of the high-end executives & they are all very personable & eager for you to succeed. There is a good work life balance, & compensation is fair. Great place to start a career, there are tons of opportunities if you are willing to be mobile to receive them.
Wonderful place to work
Decorative Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 23, 2016
It's been a wonderful place to work!! Great place for career advancement if you're looking for management. The culture is very supportive, most the managers I've worked under have been great.
Being a DPS has been fun, I love helping the customers select colors for their home! Unfortunately it is a retail setting, so consultations come second in many instances.
Pros
Great benefits, supportive atmosphere
Cons
short breaks
Awesome Company with awesome compensation and benefits
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYOctober 25, 2016
The company is a best-kept secret when it comes to compensation and benefits. The schedule is awesome and the corporate side isn't overbearing. However, unless you're willing to relocate, opportunities to move up aren't really there. However, there is a regular raise schedule every 6 months for the first 18-24 mos, if you go in through the Management Trainee Program.
Pros
salary and benefits day 1 of training. Awesome people willing to help
Cons
seniority is everything, even when it comes to resolving clear issues.
Great Company
District Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 17, 2017
The company has great product lines that are superb in quality and have a worldwide presence. Work life balance is exhibited. In three years I had three different bosses with three different philosophies so, I had to adjust to change. That was not the hardest part of the job. The hardest part of the job was coming in to the office knowing you wanted more of a career based on your prior experience and there was no where to go besides being a store manager or moving. I had set personal goals when I hired to grow myself in the third year.
Pros
offers great work life balance
Cons
Healthcare..advancement outside of just moving to run a store
Great company, great experience
OTR DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Buford, GAFebruary 6, 2017
Each day I picked up tail gated freight but sometimes I unloaded freight using electrical equipment. then I began my delivering to stores as well as commercial stores in the southeast region. occasionally picked up back hauls from various places recording all stops manually on paper along with people net systems. I learned time management, route management and effective customer service. The culture was professional with a family friendly touch. The hardest part was physically/manually moving the paint off the trucks.I enjoyed working for a company that valued your safety and health.
Great beginning
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 30, 2016
I started working here right after I graduated from college. From the very beginning I was welcomed by all the employees in my district and learned a lot about what all the job included. The job includes a lot of heaving lifting and learning about the large world of paint. I enjoyed learning about management while also making a good amount of money. There is also a great opportunity for advancement here.
Pros
great culture and wonderful co-workers
Cons
heavy lifting
Energetic exciting company to work for.
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 16, 2017
The management and most co-workers were good people. The hardest part of the job was keeping customers happy. The most enjoyable pat of the job was making customers happy.
Pros
Great 401K, Stock plan, advancement opportunities
Cons
When operators didn't want to make what was needed
Sherwin Williams
Warehouse Manager/Supervisor/full time (Former Employee) –  Oxford, FLNovember 20, 2016
Worked for Sherwin Williams for a year and wasn't advanced for my pay. Was told on many occasions it was coming but my manager's never put time in to fill out the appraisal properly.should have been full time raise,3rd key raise, then appraisal. Had to open and close a store and take bank deposit even though I wasn't 3rd key but just a full time. I worked hard for Sherwin Williams and basically just got put to the back of the burner. Stayed at 9.50$ the whole year. Was told by my manager and others I will get a raise of 10.80 which is the same pay a part time 3rd key makes. That is withholding my dollar raise because I was full time. Other than that and the occasional cranky contractor it was smooth..
Part Time Sales Associate
Part Time Sales Associate/Key holder (Former Employee) –  Clark Summit, PAFebruary 21, 2017
What a wonderful company to work for and the pay for PT could be better but they do give you vacation time/sick time and 401k as a part time employee.
Flexible with the scheduling and is a great job for college student or retiree looking to make some extra money.
Typical day is waiting on customers, mixing paint and stocking shelves. Management is terrific and the workplace environment is easy going and relaxed.
Hardest part of the job is the unloading of the truck.
Pros
Scheduling time/family mix
Cons
No cons to speak of.
Good job if you're willing to work hard, limited advancement potential.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 26, 2016
This is a good job if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and a little heavy lifting.
My main concern is that it's difficult to advance into management without either a college degree or entering their management trainee program.
Pros
Good benefits, steady hours
Cons
Heavy lifting, limited advancement potential

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sherwin-Williams. Our community is ready to answer.

80%