Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,015 reviews matching the search
Energetic staff provided a good workplace environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rowlett, TXMarch 27, 2016
A typical day consisted of preparing paint for contractors as well as interacting with customers. I learned how to mix and shake paint as well as how to make sales calls in order to keep in touch with our frequent buyers. The management style was laid back and it really allowed for us to get things done quicker without the pressure of rushing and making mistakes. My co-workers were very knowledgeable and insightful. The hardest part of my job was just being able to learn about all of the products in the store to a point where I was comfortable being able to sale the products to customers with no knowledge of them. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I played a big part in satisfying customers' wants and needs.
Pros
Great Company as well as good compensation and benefits
Cons
Lack of communication from upper management and sometimes under staffed
The company changed a lot during my tenure, not all changes were for the best.
Commercial Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  KentuckyDecember 10, 2015
Sherwin-Williams has a big city mentality, and does not seem to have the management in place to understand the adjustments necessary for smaller or rural markets. Nepotism is rampant, it is the good old boy network and all about who you know. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement, compensation is in line with the demands of the job. Their understanding of work life balance is Work for Life and forget about family.
Great place to jump start a career
Sales / Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 11, 2016
SW has great benefits, and for a new graduate, it is the best place to jump start a career. It can be a little stressful if you have a family when in management, but if you have a support system at home, it is a piece of cake. Overall, a good company with amazing management in Salt Lake City District.
Pros
1000 dollar increment every 6 months for a new Management Trainee
Cons
May be a little stressful if you have young kids and not any support at home.
very strong career with SW - needed to relocate to Florida for my family and opportunity was not yet available at the time
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 16, 2016
excellent company to work for; very employee friendly, very competitive salary and incentive package. Strong management and sales representative training and support by upper management - strong incentive and will for their employees to succeed
Moving forward towards management bittersweet
Customer Service Representative/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2016
great company. It has its ups and downs.MOVING FORWARD TOWARDS MANAGEMENT BITTERSWEET. They over look employees that have been there for years for young college students that come in with only looking at the salary and eventually end up quitting because they don't want to work or either do a horrible job and end up running the stores into the grown for horrible customer service which brings up more and more unnecessary rules.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
Overlooked for upcoming management positions for no experienced new hire
Great Part Time Job
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Waldo, MOMarch 10, 2016
I have enjoyed working for the company for four years now as it has being a very enriching experience. I have picked many skill like working with point of sales systems for example that I feel will help me exceed in the future. I also have had the chance to work with the public and know how to satisfy the needs of many.
Pros
flexible schedules, nice store manager, get to listen to music while I work, and close to home
Cons
Have to work every weekend, disgruntled customers, and not getting a raise in two years for preforming well
For a motivated person the sky is the limit
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fernley, NVDecember 31, 2015
Best job I have ever had. Job can be a lot of work but you feel as if it was for the best in the end of the day. The best management team I have ever seen. Motivating and encouraging, only learned from my management team to better my own career. Lost this job due to my own mistakes and still think nothing but the best for this company, that says it all right there. Apply!!!!!!! you may not get in the first try but don't give up it is worth the position you will receive in the end. Also just show up to work on time and plan your days off, its the only thing that will get you fired, well as long as you are a hard worker that is.
Pros
Everything is wonderful.
Cons
attendance policy is a little tight
Market Manager
Market Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 29, 2015
Very good place to start career, but as time goes on it seems the culture gets a little ridiculous. Upper management / corporate seem to have no idea of what really goes on in the stores, nor do they seem to care. Expectations are unrealistic!!! But if you are willing to "go for it", employees have a chance for fast advancement!
Pros
Fast Paced Advancement, Good Starter MTP Program
Cons
Unrealistic Corporate Goals, Pricing not in line with majority of Industry
They ask a lot, but can't keep up with the cost of living.
Inside sales and delivery (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 28, 2015
This is a high paced company that asks a lot from its employees. In return their medical benefits are very sub par for what you pay, and expect raises that are less than the average annual cost of living. Management at the branch level is OK, but from the region on up; it is atrocious. They only care about the bottom line, and that is their bonuses.
It is a high paced job, so unless you are in management, expect to learn on the fly and train yourself.
The hardest part about the job is the ever changing policies set at the region level. Constant memos on why something isn't done, yet why is their overtime. A conundrum!!
The employees have always been good to work for.
Pros
the employees.
Cons
Bad raises. Little training. No real upward mobility.
Interesting, challenging, competitive and fulfilling
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 23, 2016
This competitive, rewarding and thrilling company provides each individual a platform to learn what it takes to be a fierce sales representative. The chase is on for new business while continually thwarting competitors of existing accounts.
Pros
Great leadership, fantastic colleagues, proper tools to perform your job, flexible schedule.
Cons
Industry consolidation, potential for advancement
Great company benefits, but hard to move up
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodland Park, COJanuary 29, 2016
Great environment, help a lot of issues with customers who appreciate your advice. Had a lot of broken promises though. Promised promotions and raises, never got either. I've been working for Sherwin for almost 3 years, not one raise, i have my bachelor's now and was promised a promotion when i would obtain it, never got it, worked very hard and got lied to.
Pros
great benefits and great learning experience
Cons
Hard to move up, alot of competition
1st job out of college
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 29, 2015
My typical day is managing preparing orders, visiting job sites, and keeping my inventory up to date. I learned how to manage different personalities and become more organized. My district manager was a great trainer and will promote within. My co-workers were great to work with. I just made sure we understood the policies and procedures. The hardest part of my job was trying to balance out being competitive with my pricing, but also being profitable to make bonuses. The most enjoyable part of my job is building relationships with my customers.
Pros
advancement, fortune 500 company, quality of products
Cons
open 7 days a week, getting paint and dirt all over me
Fast paced work environment.
Sales Associate/Driver (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILFebruary 23, 2016
This was not the best job I have had. The hours were varied and the lack of upward mobility was astounding. Preferential treatment was given to certain employees. Many of the employees seemed bitter about having to go to work. The compensation was pitiful and the lack of benefits was unimpressive. Management was good at what they did.
Good job security but very stressful
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshtemo, MINovember 11, 2015
I think I would like Sherwin a lot better if I felt like my needs were being taken into account. I am forced to drive 1.5 hours every day to work and 1.5 hours back. I didn't choose this location but was willing to cope until a position opened up. However, 5 positions were open and none were posted for my relocation even though I made my personal hardships clear. Instead I was told that none of that matters and that I had better get used to it.

Sherwin Williams has a lot of great opportunities to move up in the company and their benefits are good but they are a large corporation that doesn't have a very good HR department. So if you are looking for flexibility and a company that takes your specific needs into account then you are looking at the wrong company. This is a large reason why turnover rate is very high. Your personal life may as well not exist. It is irrelevant.
Pros
training, job security, decent pay, good benefits, opportunity to move up
Cons
impersonal, stressful work environment, harsh, little HR support
Great place to work, if you're FULL TIME
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lacey, WAMarch 28, 2016
Wish a store that had over 1 million dollars in sales would have at least 1 full time employee (not including manager, asst manager.) Because of the lack thereof, after 1 year I still am a part-time employee. All year I was told a full-time spot will be open when the new year starts, but didn't happen. Plus since I was worked so much at the start of my employment, I averaged 8-9 hours a week for the final 2 months of my first 1 year term of employment.
Other than that, I like the people I work with, and my superiors. There is always something to do in the store, in which, for me it's a plus.
Pros
Benefits, job familiarity, nice co-workers
Cons
lazy co-workers, open to close shifts
Team enviroment, but still heavy workload. Occassional office activities
Regional Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 29, 2015
The workday started early and ended late (at the division office); majority of the time you are never caught up on work due to the workload being so heavy. Even though it is a team environment you are still responsible for yourself. There are also some decisions you cannot control b/c so many other people involved in decision making. I learned a lot about analyzing credit, P&L, Equifax and things along those lines. Most of the co-workers were shady and talked about you to others. Only a few that were truly genuine. The office is broken up into about 5 teams based on regions in the southeast, each with a supervisor. Only 1 supervisor was decent, the others were rude and talked about their employees to the other. Hardest part of the job was trying to get the massive workload done on a given day: there were numerous emails, phone calls, list you had to complete, reviews, etc just in one day. SOOO much work. The enjoyable part was office activities, that's about it. The job itself is so stressful. They tried to give incentives by having contests to top performer awarding he or she with a $100 or $50 gift card, but essentially just to get you to work harder! I would never go back to work for this company.
Pros
office acitivities, health benefits, promotions (due to turnover)
Cons
workload, managment, nosy coworkers
Excellent Culture
IT Manager - Corporate Division (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 4, 2016
Sherwin Williams is a great place to work. It is a diverse company with great culture. Convenient location.Great benefits and compensation
Just isn't worth it anymore
Sales Associate/ key holder (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 28, 2015
I've worked for Sherwin for a brief time now ,but unfortunately I cant afford to stay here. The people are great and friendly but after now having my hours cut for the third time in three months I can't afford to stay. Working 25 hrs/wk for $9.67/hr is probably ok for a high school or college student but not for a 31 yr old man trying to raise a 9 yr old by himself.
People you work with in your store are good
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 25, 2016
Upper Management out of touch with how the store goes. A lot of the reps have an "old school" mentality. Good starting place for career.
Pros
people in your store are good
Cons
upper management out of touch
Pretty good place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MSFebruary 29, 2016
I just help customers everyday, I learn about products everyday, on tuesdays we get trucks that have our product in them and it usually takes a few day to put up. My coworkers are pretty good, very nice. The hardest part would probably have to be when a customer calls in like 50 or 60 gallon order over the phone and then 4 customers come in and you have to help them first.
Pros
Pay wage over minimum wage, good hours, typically slow during the day
Cons
Management doesn't help with anything other than customer, sometimes extremely busy and you can't take a break til they are all gone.