Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews

Found 1,089 reviews matching the search
Great for working in a small team and many opportunies to advance
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 24, 2016
The mornings begin with rush hour until about 10 am until the contractors have the products they need to accomplish the project of the day. There is another rush hour in the middle of the day after lunch.
I learned to work in a team and improved listening and communication skills since your a constantly receiving and writing down orders and important project details.
The management varies depending on the store but it is usually not strict.
The coworkers a generally easy going young adults.
The hardest part of the job is handling upset contractors.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the team environment that offers a lot of support.
Long hours, no life outside work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  TennesseeAugust 31, 2016
I worked for SW for 5 years, from PT driver to Assistant Manager. Overall it is an OK job that pays well and has good benefits. Towards the end of my time with SW, I feel like upper management lost touch with the employees. They do not hire enough people in the stores, and put too much work on the employees. I worked a minimum of 44 hours a week, but as many as 60+ hours very often. In the 5 years I was there, I never saw a fully staffed store due to high turnover. Sure, the money was great with all the over time; but what's the point if you're always at work?
Some stores have fun atmospheres. It depends on the Management & staff.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 6, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is that there is always something new to learn. You might not be doing the same thing every day. The hardest part of the job is when you are first hired, there is a lot of paperwork & boring testing. Co-workers can really help make for a fun environment. Sometimes management can have a favorite employee & show favoratism. That can be discouraging. I learned a lot with Sherwin Williams, I started out working part time & moved up to Assistant Manager.
Pros
Good benefits package!
Cons
They don't promote from within very often.
Good upbeat work eviroment: half warehouse half sales floor.
Inside Sales Associate & Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Clute, TXAugust 17, 2016
Delivering hundreds of gallons of paint and supplies to job sights was a normal occurrence. It was good experience delivering large company orders to out of town locations, and operating a heavy machinery such as a forklift in very tight spaces. Toughest challenge was single handedly organizing a very cluttered warehouse, but results proved very helpful and productive for the business.
Good company
Sales Representative Multi segment (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAAugust 18, 2016
Good solid foundation with the company I have learned several aspects of the job related field especially dealing with internal and external people. I conduct daily calls to existing an potential new customers. I have a rural territory so drive time can be longer. The hardest part of the job is managing time for sales and my involvement in other assigned duties or other time consuming items that distract me from my focus. I like to win and for the most part the team members have been fair and good to deal with
Pros
Solid business
Cons
Stress, and ballance with work life
Poor organization
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 14, 2016
Poor organization, very hot work environment, employees not treated equally, nothing given as promised when adquiring job, dont have the correct tools or parts available to do the job right, and machine operators make as much or more than the mechanics, which mechanics should make more. Also no formal training or orientation when starting job. No teamwork whats o ever, leads are rude ,need to learn how to treat people with respect and value the hard work done.
Pros
Decent money due overtime
Cons
Healthcare really affordable
overworked and under staffed.
Assitant manager (Current Employee) –  Burlingame, CASeptember 8, 2016
Worked with people who had no experience in the paint business. Did the minimum job requirements, increase my worked load as I remained un compensated for it. Started with a really bad Manager, to a point it became a conflict. Contacted my City manager and District manager about the citation. Did nothing! to aid me in the citation causing the issue to escalate then finally applied for another store and resolved the issue.
Great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNAugust 8, 2016
My day usually started off getting some items rounded up for delivery. After i had gotten back from 4 to 5 deliveries I was back in the store helping customers and answering questions. Once or twice a week the freight would come in and my coworkers and I would spend the day helping customers and in our down time stocking the shelves. There were only about 5 of us working there when i was which i loved. You really get to know your co-workers and your not just a worker. You really feel like part of a team.
Pros
Easy work, great benefits, small work environment
Cons
I was part time and tried to get a full time spot but never an opportunity.
A Great and Rewarding Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMAugust 2, 2016
Working at Sherwin-Williams is a great and rewarding experience. You become close with your fellow employees. You work one-on-one with contractors whose job depends on your ability to provide them with what they need. Whether it be for a small job, or a large scale job that takes hundreds of gallons to complete. Quite honestly, the hardest part of the job isn't really that hard. Matching wood stains and finishes was the most difficult part of the day when it would happen. The most enjoyable part of the job is becoming friends with the people you see everyday.
Pros
No late night shifts, breaks, good benefits for full-time employees
Cons
occasional weekend shifts, inventory days
Great company to learn from and grow
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 31, 2016
You learn everything to know about paint, to answer questions and mix paint to customers specifications. It seems like everyone is working there to move onto bigger and better things as the job is very physically demanding. Management is pretty easy going as long as you're not breaking any of the rules. Hardest part is dealing with customers that know nothing about paint and want the best product for the cheapest price.

The computer system is the slowest thing on the planet. They're trying to upgrade to DSL which is an outdated and unreliable technology.
Sweat shop. You are just a number.
Production worker (Former Employee) –  Crisfield, MDJuly 28, 2016
In my experience, this job was the worst. Management treats you like a number. All they care about is how many rollers you can get out the door. This is a "fortune 500" company that either can't or won't afford air conditioning and forces their employees to work in temperatures as high as 114 degrees. I don't understand how this is even legal.. As far as advancements are concerned, only men get promoted at this site. Management doesn't care about you AT ALL. They lie through their teeth to get you off their back. They have no conscience. I would not recommend working for this company or buying their products.
Pros
It's a paycheck
Cons
management. sweat shop. you're just a number.
good place to learn a multitude of skills
Supervisor Warehouse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 28, 2016
challenging and fast pace working environment. this company was conducive to my skill set. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning the products and how they were applied in industry. management and work staff executed their duties in a highly efficient manner. the hardest part of the job is when we were short staffed. this wasn't an issue, however, because of the professional approach of management and staff. at Sherwin Williams we wore many hats so this contributed to our ability to work through shortage of personnel.
Pros
organization. healthcare and retirement benifits. progressive company
Cons
slow salary growth
A poorly run company with bad management
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Holland MichiganJuly 21, 2016
If you want to work your life away on old technology out of the 60s and deal with a bunch of workers that don't care about their jobs anymore, and you have no parts and you work seven days a week with poor benefits other than the retirement. This is a fortune 500 company with over $11 billion in sales and they run it with like there a broke or in bankruptcy.
Pros
Retirement
Cons
Working conditions, poor management, Old machinery, and no parts to repair it with
Amazing company with great management culture
Sales Marketing Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 30, 2016
Sherwin Williams is a great company with a core management structure. A typical work day for a Sales Rep consist of gaining leads and closing deals. Company culture is also family base in many ways. The hardest part of the job is using your own vehicle for company use. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you build business in a entrepreneur setting.
Challenged by a large data entry project in color lab. Throughly enjoyed my work
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJuly 28, 2016
Sherwin Williams was a great place to work, loved all coworkers, loved the work I did, we worked for 8 weeks on a data entry project in the color lab. Several activities were invovled in using my problem solving skills. The hours were great, However, $9.50 per/hr was not enough income to pay my bills. In addition, as a Temp. I was unable to receive any benefits. Had to move on
Excellent product line and market penetration.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILJuly 15, 2016
A typical workday consisted of the following activities:

Customer facing sales opportunities
Training sessions with Lowes employees
Planning meetings with SW manager
Internal training on new product launches
Manage territory month to month performance
Team travel to support special sales promotions
Inventory management at all 9 Lowes locations

This was a fun and challenging job, which provided a standard list of activities however it also allowed for a certain amount of creative individual ideas.
Pros
Excellent products and strong distribution channel
Paint.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Somewhere USAJuly 12, 2016
Pretty good company to work for.

They hired me even though I was colorblind.

Working there was pretty legit, show up, mix paint, get paid.
Customers can be rude, but it comes with the business.

Coworkers can be cool, so that's a plus.

Sometimes you have to put your life on hold for them though, which was pretty bad.
Pros
Short workdays, decent pay if you don't do much in the social side of your life.
Cons
Some co workers can be pretty lazy, as I said... sometimes you have to put your life on hold so people can get their paint.
Reasonable
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  oregonJuly 25, 2016
The pay is reasonable for a job with very little prerequisite qualifications. The path to management is open and store level managers are usually helpful. The seasonal high volume of paint being moved, stacked, tinted, shipped, and stored can be challenging for smaller, weaker individuals. The opportunity to learn about specialty coatings is available to those willing to invest their attention.
Poorly
Lead Decorative Specialist/ Interior Designer (Former Employee) –  Huber Heights, OHJuly 8, 2016
Usually a new manager in the store with like every year and a half. No advancement without college degree. Seems like rather hiring associates with in the company to move up they hire of the street and train 6 weeks to be a manager. With that being said that manager has no knowledge of products and the clients that come into that store.
Pros
Great entry starter for a real job
Cons
Work to hard and not enough in return.
See comments
Store color consultant/ Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJune 25, 2016
This is a good company for someone with a degree who wants to move up to a management position quickly. There is good training for those who are interested. I am not interested in management, and they don't offer any room for me as far as advancement, hours, and benefits are concerned. I have enjoyed my work experience with this company, but my current situation requires me to pursue full time work with a reputable company with room to advance. I would like a base pay and commission.
Pros
Flexible work schedule and friendly co-workers with a team spirit. 401K options available.
Cons
No time and a half for Sundays. No sick time or medical benefits for part timers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sherwin-Williams. Our community is ready to answer.