Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews

Seriously????
Confidential (Current Employee) –  ConfidentialJanuary 27, 2013
All of these reviews are written in a manner that the author is anticipating management to be reading their comments! Perhaps, they are going to be sure to make it known that they posted here! The posts zing with glowing reviews of a worker's paradise and "look at me" puffery of how smart and capable they are as they bestow their ability to "promote" the company to success by their very presence. Surely, this is done with the hope that it will be instrumental in the advancement of their career! The top of this food chain is throwing their heads back with laughter! Unless you are in your 20's and fresh out of college, this is a horrible company to work for!! The manager who posted that you are just a number with this company told the truth! If you get on with this company as a part-timer or just a regular full time employee, don't plan on advancing with the company! Trust me! I have witnessed employees work over 10 years before getting promoted to asst. manager and it was rare at that! This company recruits wide-eyed youth, fresh out of college, and quickly slaps them into the position of an asst. manager with a mandatory 44 hour work week, paying 35k with benefits. Does anyone ever have their adrenaline slow down enough to ponder why? You will more than earn every red cent of it! It is a win-win situation for SW! You are nothing more than a STRONG warm body; a grunt to get out and roll out paint....as much of it as inhumanly possible! This is not a typo. I said, "inhumanly". That is only because they haven't figured out how to replace you with a machine, yet! They will keep  more... you as long as you can stick it out. If not, that is just fine! There is always another young, ambitious, wide-eyed college kid who will slip into the slot...just like a pez head! You will be fast-tracked to an asst. with the promise of "someday" for the position of "Manager". Don't hold your breath. You will often hear, "Just keep doing what you are doing" in your quest for a promotion. Meanwhile, you will break your back, relentlessly, unloading trucks and tinting & slinging 60-100 lb buckets of paint all day long! You will rarely get a lunch break, if ever! Forget about a break! You will have to learn to hold your water and hold your bowels, too!! The stores are grossly under-staffed and the customers coming thru the constant revolving doors could care less! Of course, in all fairness, they do not know that you probably have not eaten or that it has been 4 hours since you went to the restroom. With that said, they have a job to do and are always in a hurry! That means you must be, too! Then, they are standing there 20 deep! Many don't bother to remember what they ordered on previous jobs because they have it engrained that it is your job to be their bookkeeper and secretary! They expect you to remember what they can't even though you serve hundreds of customers just as important as they are! There are also those who don't know what they want when they get there. Meanwhile, the company's constant drill is to get them their paint and out the door QUICKLY! You can NEVER be quick enough! While this is going on, the phone is constantly ringing with customers who want to order paint...rudely getting in front of the customer that you are trying to help...or they want you to get on the computer to research their account BEFORE they can get around to ordering the paint. This is when the delivery TRUCK will arrive at the dock with pallets of paint and supplies to be unloaded, asap, so the driver can get to the next store in the time alotted by SW. Often, the customers treat you poorly because they have learned that Sherwin Williams EXPECTS you to jump at their every whim. The customer can behave VERY badly and you must keep smiling as you carry their paint to their vehicles. THEY don't care that you have a degree!! Then the customer who called in an order while you've been busting your backside will arrive and get ticked off because they called ahead and their paint isn't ready! They don't care why. They only care that it hasn't been done. And then there are the homeowners who ALWAYS come into the store every single night at 6:59 pm when the store closes at 7 pm!! These are the very same people who will come in at 7:59 pm when the store stays open until 8 pm....and it often does when there is a sale! You have to smile and make them feel welcome just so your boss can reprimand you if it caused you to work overtime or fail to get some other task done! This is just the tip of the iceberg. I haven't even gotten to the additional responsibilities of the asst. manager! Store managers have it worse! They usually work at least 60 hours a week, although the minimum required is 48 hours. Managers never get paid overtime! NEVER! If you have to work 80-90 hours, so be it! Sherwin Williams talks the talk of a balanced life! That isn't possible at the store level! Your hours are spread over 7 days a week. 6:45 am-7:15 pm M-F, 7:45 am - 6:15 pm Sat, and 9:45 am - 6:15 pm on Sunday. There are only three days a year that the store closes for a holiday. These days are Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. If you are a part-timer you will work EVERY Saturday! If you cannot manage to get a whole weekend or at least two days in a row off, you will always be exhausted! The days you work, you will be too tired to do anything after work! Don't think that your body will not hurt. The upside is that you will get stronger! Starting pay for those below the management level is $9 - $11 an hour. Usually, it is the lesser, unless you have previously been a SW employee or have a great deal of experience in the industry.  less
Pros
keep working hard and you will keep your job, smart move for a college student looking for a management position on a their resume, great temporary position with excellent pay while seeking desired job
Cons
extremely physical and psychologically draining work, low pay for those not in management

Comment – February 13, 2013

This is a sorry state of affairs to have to work in. I feel sorry for you but realize why you must put up with this shameful treatment, you have to pay the bills and keep food on the table. I seldom recieved a break and had to eat lunch on the run! I was a hourly employee who had to train my managers to do their jobs while doing mine and mostly doing theirs. They saw a good thing a did not what to give it up! Everyone only cared about themselves. I hope you find a better job where you are appreciated, don't get an ulcer!!!

Bachelor's degree for a blue-collar job - don't get that desperate!
Assistant Manager/Management Training Program (Former Employee) –  Gun Barrel City, TXJanuary 24, 2015
I found Sherwin-Williams at the Career Fair at my university and began my short career with them in their Management Training Program as an MTP at first, then as Assistant Manager in a store over 100 miles from my home. I told the recruiter, who would also be my District Manager, that I had signed a contract two months earlier to purchase a home in Fort Worth and he promised I would be placed locally.
After my training, the DM surprised me with two "choices" of stores to transfer to, both in Texas but both located over 100 miles from my home. Either one required me to rent a place to stay and pay utilities, which reduced my salary considerably. The relocation program never paid me back for the moving expenses.
The company is only interested in selling paint, regardless of what they say. They "say" you will be managing the profitability of the store you go to, but the reality is they are always monitoring and calling, taking micromanagement to new heights.
The manager of the store I ended up at (the lesser of two evils) did not have a degree and had bumped her head up against the ceiling (no degree prevented her from advancing) at the company for 12 years. The two part-time employees, also without college degrees, were disappointed when a newcomer was "placed" in the Assistant Manager position (just because I had a degree), the job each of them was vying for and a position I was thrust into (by virtue of being an MTP with a college degree). They both felt they were more qualified and were resentful because the company "placed" me in the position.
The HR Manager and the District
  more... Manager did not listen to me or seem to care.
A typical day was driving into the parking lot a half-hour before opening and being met by a crowd of painters, each wanting their paint NOW, all standing at or near the door like puppies wanting to be let inside. When the door opened, they all rushed in wanting to be waited on first, some getting irate. I was expected to entertain them, offer and make coffee for them, AND tint gallons and gallons of paint using a computerized tint machine with my back to the customers (some stores are configured as forward-facing). I had to go to the back of the store to get the paint, all while watching for theft, get all of the customers taken care of, and putting out "fires" left over from the previous day, make sure our store remained profitable by perusing the P/L statement - and still make 40 calls to painters or painting companies. I answered the phone, took messages and prioritized the needs of the customers, tinted massive quantities of paint, returned mis-tinted paint (even if it was what they had ordered) and gave credits, kissed-up to a bunch of painters suffering from entitlement issues, who enjoyed picking on the newbie MTP. I used a dolly to move three 5-gallon buckets at a time, each filled with heavy paint, and was expected to lift the heavy buckets into the vans and trucks for mostly male painters. On days I had a part-timer, I had to make sure they didn't go over their hours, did their jobs, followed company policy, etc., AND get MY job done, too. I felt like all I ever did was powder hineys and kiss boo-boo's all day.
On days I closed, I also had to verify the sales, close the cash drawers, count money and make out the bank deposit, and then go by the bank on my way home to make the deposit.
Six days a week, seldom with two people working at the same time, hard labor...$38,000 a year may sound like a lot of money to start out with, but trust me, you will never be able to repay your student loans or have money to pay your landlord to get out of your lease every time the company decides to move you to wherever they want. You just have to "Suck it Up, Buttercup" and go where they say or go find another job.
I want you to think about THIS: Did you REALLY spend four years and a bunch of Benjamin's to get a college degree only to work in a blue-collar, manual labor job?
Pros
good training about paint through the corporate office
Cons
you have to move to wherever they send you, you have to break your lease when they transfer you, customers who treat you badly, company puts the customer above you
A great company to work for!
Inside Sales - 3rd Key (Former Employee) –  Henderson, KYOctober 8, 2013
A typical day at Sherwin Williams revolves greatly around working together as team. It is essential to work together to insure all orders are filled and all customers are assisted. Here your day begins and ends with providing customer service. You will interact with retail customers inside the store as well as contractors and property owners. You assist in picking out colors, wall papers, boarders, flooring that will compliment each other in housing. You will fill those orders that are already in store and place orders with vendors for out of store orders. At time you will deliver orders and may demonstrate how product is used. You will make sales calls to up coming projects for future business and call on complaints as well to find the best solution for the customer and Sherwin Williams. You will keep up monthly paper work. Process transactions and payments for account holders. You will call on past due accounts and place credit apps for new accounts.
You learn great customer service skills in dealing with retail customers and account holders along with earning their trust in a business aspect as often you enter the homes and personal lives. You learn to work well with you team members as it takes involvement from each staff member to ensure customer quality.
You will learn more than just dealing with customers and accounts as you will often deal with outside vendors and members from other store and regional management. You will work in weekly inventory control and yearly inventory count. You will receive in stock and put it away. You will learn to mix paint, and what products
  more... are used for different situations. You will complete monthly modules to ensure you knowledge of the products and competitors products. You will learn to match colors to competitors colors and custom colors. You will learn to research the history of previous customers for present and future information.
The hardest part of the job is calling on complaints and finding the solution that best fits both parties. There is often a lot of going back and forth in this process but there is often a solution found even if it comes to the outside information from a vendor.
The management and coworkers are normally very nice work with as you are all trying to reach a common goal. Not only the manager of your store but of other stores are usually very informative and willing to assist along with sales reps who are at your disposal. The upper regional and district managers are usually very willing to listen and assist when needed. Ther are great opportunities for growth within the company as there are many different areas to advance and many areas to transfer if one is looking to relocate.
As a whole, Sherwin Williams is a wonderful company to become a part of a team, gain knowledge and advance if you like. There is a lot of room for growth within the company and great to work for if you are a family person.
Pros
nice breaks and lunces, closed major holidays with holiday pay, sick time, works with you on your schedule and family.
Cons
open some major holidays for sales, meeting goal, inventory is on halloween
Some heavy lifting involved with little supervision or training.
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLSeptember 23, 2015
A typical day of work involves answering the phone, writing down the paint and supplies order, finding the product on the shelf, coloring it if needed. As far as coloring the paint goes, most of the time for latex based paint, the computer puts in the appropriate amount of color. You just have to select which paint color you want. But for oil based paint, you have to manually add the color using a separate machine. You also have to put away inventory whenever a truck comes in. I didn't learn how to handle the forklift machine that lifts the palette of paint but if I stay much longer with this job, I'll eventually pick it up. Inventory management is where the heavy lifting comes into play. Some of the paint is stuffed in there on the shelves really tight. Sometimes you have to climb on top of buckets of paint in order to reach the paint or the box of masking tape or whatever on the top shelf. There is some risk of falling and so the job is potentially dangerous. One of the hardest parts of the job is when someone is placing an order over the phone but the jargon they're using doesn't make sense because they're giving you incomplete info. The most enjoyable part of the job IMO (and this will vary depending on your taste) is preparing paint samples for customers. The samples are small and lightweight, therefore, they're easy to handle. The management provided very little training and they are nice in the beginning but they will get crabby if you've been there for a few months and still haven't learned the basics yet. I've been told many times, "You've been here for several  more... months now" or "You should know it by now" when I asked basic questions. They expect you to work independently and be courteous at all times but they themselves aren't always friendly (Of course, each individual manager is a little different, or in some cases, a lot different.) There are many times when the store is understaffed and the customers keep piling in all at the same time. This is very frustrating. I wish they would hire more people but corporate wants to save money by making the fewest employees do the most work. I learned how to do color matching using the color eye machine, but it works ideally for a flat surface where the sample color is consistent. For irregular surfaces, the computer is often wrong. It's very difficult to change the color of paint and while you can make the paint darker, you can't make it lighter.  less
Pros
Most of the guys I worked with were really cool and calm under pressure.
Cons
The one woman I worked with ended up being verbally abusive, yelling at me, demeaning me and making me feel incompetent.
Competitive, Interesting, Fast-Paced and a Crash Course
MTP/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 5, 2011
I found this job posting on Craigslist, and in the job description, it was looking for "RECENT COLLEGE GRADUATES LOOKING FOR A CAREER WITH SHERWIN-WILLIAMS", and I was immediately interested.

As an MTP for Sherwin-Williams I was able to work hands-on with paints, chemicals, solvents, an array of paint & industrial equipment, all while working alongside some of the most skilled people in their craft of paint and sales. Being able to see business being conducted on a day-to-day basis was something I appreciated and tried to fully grasp within my time there. The Managers of Sherwin-Williams were very knowledgeable, willing and able to help whenever you needed assistance and reading material was at your disposal in the store as inquiries for products and services were frequent, detailed, and no two ever the same. Attention to detail was the gold standard and my team & I worked very hard everyday to ensure the success of our business. Daily operations included, but were not limited to training of employees, cash handling, submitting daily/weekly/monthly reports, attending district training, reporting directly to the manager with daily activity, matching colors for painters, shipping hazardous material, ordering product stock, handling of purchase orders, audit submission, bi-annual stock counts, and more. Days could be very slow for a stretch, then become surprisingly busy out of nowhere so we were focused and quick to respond to customer traffic and product orders. There were good and bad days while I was employed there, as with any other job within any other organization, but
  more... the company made efforts to ensure the well-being of its employees. With that said, when I initially started working I started at a store that I ultimately transferred from. The environment there was such that I did not feel comfortable nor did I feel that the setting was conducive to me advancing as someone trying to ultimately manage my own store. All things considered, I would recommend this opportunity to anyone who has a knack for sales & customer service, who works hard, who's able to retain product knowledge on the fly and adapt quick to change and competition on a day-to-day basis.  less
Pros
flexible lunches, great benefits, plenty of opportunities to expand upon, relaxed but fast-paced working environment
Cons
unfair treatment in specific aspects
Fun work place environment that is fast-paced with very friendly customers
Store Decorative Product Specialist (Former Employee) –  Flowood, MSJanuary 12, 2015
At my day at work at Sherwin-Williams, our tasks were to give customer service to the Painters and DIY (Do It Yourself) customers. Customers would look at the Color Chart to see which color they liked best for their home or business and tell us the color. They they would pick their product choice of paint that they would like their color to be mixed into. Our job was to type in the Color's name and the Formula and add the colors into the paint of their choice. We then would shake the paint in a shaker for about 3 minutes and the exact color of their choice would be inside of the paint can. We also did shipment every Monday and we cleaned throughout the store on our down time.

I have learned so much with this company. Coming into the company I knew nothing about paint but I chose the company because I like to learn what I have not already known. I like to broaden my experiences. I learned how to make paint, how to help customers find the perfect color, how to match paint color chips, what to use on finishes and what NOT to use on finishes, and what products are best for their home.

I loved the management team. They did not mind helping out if you were stuck on a customer. They teach you about every aspect in the store and they have helped me to learn so much within the company.

My co-workers also helped on questions I may have had. They were all very friendly and if any of us needed help we didn't mind helping each other.

The hardest part of the job for me was sending our products to different stores. Another Sherwin-Williams store would call our store and ask if we had a
  more... specific product and ask how many we would have. If we wanted to give them our products we had to fill out a form from our computer screen. I had a hard time with it because it was difficult and I would have a hard time getting to the form.

The most enjoyable part of the job to me was getting to know the Painters and customers and getting their products for them. I have a very strong skill in Customer Service.
Pros
fun environment and learning finishes and different paint products for painters.
Cons
learning all in-store products and knowing what to add on certain finishes
Compensation is average, Benefits are above average. Company culture is highly centralized and lacks any sense of job autonomy.
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alton, ILFebruary 26, 2014
- Sherwin-Williams operates in a variety of retail, commercial and industrial segments throughout the global economy. My affiliation and knowledge base lies within the retail and commercial segments of the manufactured coatings industry. Typically, this involves working with commercial/industrial contractors and homeowners to achieve their professional and personal coating needs. Product recommendations/troubleshooting, personalized service and pricing considerations are the primary components of this aspect of my job. In addition, inventory management, new employee training, following environmental and EPA regulations, and the proper operation and maintenance of company resources are essential components of my job.
- The working culture within each Sherwin-Williams location is unique. Fortunately, the working culture within our location is largely based on teamwork. We all work together, as a team, to ensure we fulfill our job duties and assigned tasks. This solidarity is the most rewarding aspect of my employment with Sherwin-Williams.
- Considering the highly competitive nature of the retail and commercial segment of the manufactured coatings industry, the most difficult part of my job is finding a "happy medium" between our relationship with customers and upper management. Including the increasing levels of corporate driven micromanagement to this equation, it is essential to manage our time resources efficiently. This complicates the premise of providing personalized service and products at a fair price, while exceeding the imposed budgetary requirements, in addition to
  more... fulfilling the multitude of reporting and checklists required by upper management.  less
Pros
healthcare, pension, and 401k benefits, in-store culture, relatively high job security
Cons
no autonomy, difficulty in advancing career, top-heavy organization centered on micromanagement, highly subjective performance appraisal methodology
Terribly managed company
Employee (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 9, 2015
If you're a sales rep, you hold no accountability to the store. You only answer to 2 other people who live where the district offices are and you rarely see them but hear from them often, usually only negatives. When you do see them there are issues to be resolved, even if you are meeting your goals and exceeding them. Problems are focused on and not solutions.

If you are in the floorcovering store, be prepared to make an unreasonable amount of sales calls in a small territory. Be prepared to work a minimum of 44 hours per week, more likely 48-50 mandatory.

There is very little balance between home and work as you spend most of your time at work or working from home.

Management is very very very MICRO oriented and not worried about the good thing that are accomplished on any level. Management is quick to point out faults.

Operations Manager is a glorified secretary with a fancy title. There are no managerial attributes to this position, with the local branch at least. Ops. Mgr. makes telemarketing calls all day long with very little success due to S-W pricing structure and lack of good sales.

Anyone who takes a job with S-W, specifically floorcovering, bring your lunchbox because you are expected to eat lunch and work on site the full 9 hours per day. Expect to make 20 + calls per day PLUS answer all the incoming phone calls, take all the orders, enter them into the system and possible even cut material, handle all of the installation crews and their issues daily all while the branch manager sits and makes "drawings" for 6-8 hours per day of units that he measured.

Good
  more... luck to anyone who dares attempt to be employed with S-W.

The 1 advantage is the medical benefits are pretty good.
benefits
Cons
management (lack therefor), lack of accountability, over-priced, no work/life balance, no help from upper management or hr when crises arise, favoritism among employees, harrassment, discrimination
Productive and stressless environment
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  green brook new jerseyJune 2, 2014
I currently work at Sherwin Williams in Greenbrook NJ as a driver that delivers paint to various locations throughout the day. My day starts when I get an address sent to the handheld device that tells me the address where I have to deliver paint. I then follow the directions given to me by the handheld device to the location where I deliver the paint to the customer. During down time when I do not have any delivers I assist in the store where needed. Some of the duties I help with in the store consist of answering customer questions, help move merchandise, and stock supplies.

So far I have gained valuable skills while working at Sherwin Williams and continue to learn and perfect my skills. Customer service skills are important to have in almost any profession but especially in management. Working as a driver for Sherwin Williams has allowed me to improve my customer service skills through interaction with contractors and other customers when I deliver paint and help in the store.

A good management team not only executes their daily functions but also cares for their employees and ensures that they are happy in their work environment.

The most challenging part of my job is time management. It is extremely important to be on time when delivering the paint. If I am late it will cause the customer to think of Sherwin Williams negatively and can result in a loss of repeat business. Although time management can be the most challenging it can also be the most gratifying. Trying to get to destination on time can be difficult when faced with obstacles that you cannot control. However,
  more... it is exciting to use problem solving skills to find a solution in a difficult situation.  less
Sales Training with a Lot of Opportunity for Growth
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Flowood, MSSeptember 12, 2015
A typical day at work consists of making face-to-face sales calls to customers of commercial, residential, and property management segments. I take care of DIY and contractor customers that come into the store. I answer their questions and close the sale. I maintain a very high level of morale with my employees by maintaining an upbeat, positive, and energetic atmosphere. I communicate with other stores to get material I need and make customer deliveries as requested.

I am responsible for scheduling my store to be adequately staffed for 7 days a week. I generate leads to our sales representatives accordingly and have exceeded my store's budget by over 10% over the past two years.

My favorite part of my job is my customers! I love teaching them about our products and I enjoy that each situation is different because that keeps me on my toes. No two days in my store are ever alike and I love finding the simplest and most cost effective solution for their needs.

The hardest part of my job is the long, demanding hours of being on my feet. Often times, despite what I'm scheduled, I get held up at the store later than anticipated to complete my work. The upside of that is that we stay so busy and keep up such good sales that it is what keeps me late. I'd rather be more busy than not.

I've learned how to stay professional in intense situations. As a manager, I've learned that I'm constantly being watched by my employees, supervisors, and customers. It is important to be consistent with everyone, even when it's out of my comfort zone.
Pros
Great Benefits and Compensation
Cons
Constant shortage of employees

Want to know more about Sherwin-Williams?

Ask a question
Loved working with a friendly staff
Store Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaOctober 13, 2014
Great company, tons of advancement opportunities, and great people.

However, horrible work/life balance. Lots of back to back closing/opening by yourself, stuck working lots of weekends. Missed lots family events because of work (because they were mainly on weekends and could not request off), including lots of holidays. I brought it up to corporate, but they explained that it was simply just the positions responsibilities. Very easy to say when the office is closed all weekends and holidays if you ask me, but seniority had the upper hand to choose if they wanted to work weekends for some reason, therefore they never had to.

Very few contractors respected the staff. I worked with very hard-working/smart people and they, including myself, were stepped on and looked over a lot. It was something that just came with the job and you find out very early so you can decide if you can handle it. Some can, and some can't. If you have a lot of patience and are able to brush off comments, you will be completely fine. Can't take a lot of stuff that they say to you seriously..

Was not this way when I started with the company, my schedule in the beginning was a lot more set and very easy to work with. I don't know what happened. They take very, very good care of their employees, but strictly only if it's related to work. I really wish it wasn't this way because I was really, really happy there.
Pros
very friendly store staff, benefits, advancement
Cons
no breaks, impossible to have an outside of work life, frustrating contractors
Fast-paced work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 30, 2012
A typical day of work included opening the store at 6:45 in the morning, and being swamped from 7am until I got off at 3pm. I took paint orders over the phone, put them in the system for tinting, submitted them for delivery through our hub-system, and prepared the paperwork for delivery. Before I ended every shift, I was required to make atleast 5 sales calls to different painters, apartment complexes, and businesses that have accounts with us to follow up on jobs and inform them of any promotions that we have coming up. I was also in charge of completing the billings of the paint we had sent out that day and getting the paperwork in order for filing. I learned a great deal about multi-tasking in an extremely fast paced environment. Since we did not have an acting assistant manager, I was taught most of her responsibilities and performed them best I could to help my manager. I love my co-workers, we act as one productive team. The hardest part of my job is the repetetive lifting of 5-gallon buckets, the store being short staffed, and the inability to move up within the company without a Bachelors degree, and the inability to be promoted to full-time. The most enjoyable parts of my job are the customer relationships I've built since I've been there and helping families pick colors for their home.
Pros
amazing customers, hour lunch break (when time and staffing allows)
Cons
no promotions, short staffing, no full-time, complete exhaustion after every shift.
Very positive working enviroment and nice customers.
3rd Key Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMarch 25, 2014
A typical day will start with our commercial customer who comes in for there morning coffee to start their day. While drinking there coffee we gain some conversation of what they have in store for there day. During the conversation there order is being prepared by me or one of my associates. Once there order is finished we help them if needed with there merchandise to there car. That is the beginning of our day. My position in-title more responsibility during a work day. The position as third key withheld responsibility of opening and closing during store hours. All associate also had to have forklift training and no how to handle hazardous materials which we took tests for. When we receive our weekly truck of merchandise we will have to be able to unload the truck with a forklift into inventory. Once our merchandise is received and counted for it's stocked in the warehouse and showcased on the show room floor. That was the hardest part of the job. The easy part was to prepare the orders when there were customers in the store. What I enjoyed was interacting with different customers throughout the day. My co-workers was the reason why twelve years went by so fast working there. They made the work seem effortless by keeping a positive vibe at the workplace.
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
no growth within the company
Team enviroment, but still heavy workload. Occassional office activities
Regional Financial Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 29, 2015
The workday started early and ended late (at the division office); majority of the time you are never caught up on work due to the workload being so heavy. Even though it is a team environment you are still responsible for yourself. There are also some decisions you cannot control b/c so many other people involved in decision making. I learned a lot about analyzing credit, P&L, Equifax and things along those lines. Most of the co-workers were shady and talked about you to others. Only a few that were truly genuine. The office is broken up into about 5 teams based on regions in the southeast, each with a supervisor. Only 1 supervisor was decent, the others were rude and talked about their employees to the other. Hardest part of the job was trying to get the massive workload done on a given day: there were numerous emails, phone calls, list you had to complete, reviews, etc just in one day. SOOO much work. The enjoyable part was office activities, that's about it. The job itself is so stressful. They tried to give incentives by having contests to top performer awarding he or she with a $100 or $50 gift card, but essentially just to get you to work harder! I would never go back to work for this company.
Pros
office acitivities, health benefits, promotions (due to turnover)
Cons
workload, managment, nosy coworkers
Fast growing business that emphasizes excellent customer relations
Store Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MarylandJanuary 8, 2013
Working as the manager for Sherwin-Williams I have developed many profitable relationships in my 4+ years with the company. A typical day is filled with customer interactions varying from homeowners to county, state, and national account consultations. Delegation of my staff is vital to my success as this allows myself to dedicate the proper time to projects that require my personal attention and specialized knowledge. In my management role I have successfully converted my current store from a floor covering hybrid vendor to a specialized marine,industrial, chemical, and architectural coatings supplier. While the most difficult part of my job my be training employees that are completely new to this kind of market, it is exciting to see those same employees close a large sale unassisted. It is satisfying to gather intelligence on a potential customer as a team and collaborate to close a large sale contract. I have an extremely aggressive and competitive attitude when comes to obtaining new business and I find it personally rewarding to know that I serve a key role in my company's increased profitability.
Pros
helpful advanced training sessions, quartley and yearly bonus incentives
Cons
promotions extremly location reliant, exdended workdays and 7 day work week
No culture or active growth from within
3rd Key and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 22, 2015
A typical day is mostly taking and making orders for contractors. There will be times where plenty of DIY customers come in but for the most part all business really comes from contractors.
You have to learn a lot about paint. DIYs always think that paint is paint but it is not so. Managers can vary drastically. Just hope that it isn't a young kid right out of college with no work experience or real knowledge about the products. That is the worst situation to be in.
Co-workers can fun. You wont really see the real them until around 3 months after they have been working. That's typically when you either find out they are lazy or a reliable worker.
It depends on whether you come from a big store or a small one. At small stores there is a larger need for everyone to pull their own weight. At the bigger stores since there more people everything gets done faster. Typically.
It's not a hard job. The only thing is that it can get stressful sometimes trying to get everything done on top of making the required 25-30 sales calls a week.
The most enjoyable part is probably getting to talk to people from so many different walks of life.
Pros
40% off paint all the time and 50% off a few times a year.
Cons
Right now they have a large push for outside hires, it is extremely demoralizing to 3rd keys and full timers who want to grow with the company.
An rewarding and fun company to work for.
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 12, 2015
A typical day at work involved arriving an hour before the production personal to adjust the planned production to meet the needs of our customers and best utilize our capacities. The rest of the day was spent managing that production as needed, planning future production, purchasing and scheduling delivery of required raw materials and supplies to meet those needs. I was also responsible for keeping the level of finished goods and raw material inventories as lean as possible without affecting customer service.
Management was not rigid and allowed me to adjust and improve on the operation of the facility as needed to produced positive results. I used the same philosophy with my direct reports.
The hardest part of the job was after Sherwin Williams purchased Parker Paint in September 2013 the facility in Tacoma was deemed excess capacity and scheduled for closure August 2014. This required informing the employees of the impending closure, scheduling their layoffs and managing the decommission of the facility.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping and coaching the employees to improve productivity to meet our customers demands with a minimum of time and effort.
Pros
Rewarding job, good hours, good benefits and good people to work with.
Cons
None to speak of.
Sherwin Williams' Lifestyle
Receiving Warehouse Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Deshler, OHApril 1, 2015
I began as a production Worker. SW training was hands-on. Expectation was that daily/hourly rate would be met or exceeded. Essential to understand all operations and be proficient at same. Always be alert to how the process could be streamlined to either provide for increased productivity or improved safety.
As the first female machine operator I learned an understanding of how the machine(s) worked and was responsible for basic maintenance as well as daily/hourly production rate.
As Group leader I had to be proficient on all operations within my sphere of responsibility. Must be able to order necessary supplies for the production areas, operate tow motor and utilize wrap machinery as well as operate each piece of machinery. I was responsible for my team making production initiatives.
As warehouse rep and later warehouse assistant supervisor I had to check in and store all receivables and provide said materials to production lines as needed. I also assisted with order picking and loading as necessary. I had knowledge of all inventory and it's location.
Pros
Clean facility that operated with integrity and a conscious mind on delivering quality products.
Cons
Working with employees who no longer had a passion for their work.
Enjoyable, relaxed work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Papillion, NEMarch 7, 2015
As an Assistant Manager, my day typically consists of mixing and matching paint, assisting customers both retail and commercial, speaking with customers over the phone, answering questions and taking orders, and paperwork. 90% of your day will be spent on your feet, but the days are usually busy and move quickly. Management is completely dependent on the store, but most of the managers I have worked with/come into contact with are professional and courteous. Co-workers are almost always part time, and often high school and college aged individuals. This is one of the downfalls of the job, as these individuals are more prone to mistakes, poor customer service, and usually have time restrictions. The best part of the job is the customer interaction and the relationships you build with co-workers and customers. These can be lasting, especially with customers, as a large percentage of them are men and women you will see every week, sometimes every day. This is a job I have enjoyed, and is a company that for the most part takes good care of its employees.
Pros
great benefits, opportunity to move up within company, company stock always seems to be growing
Cons
hard work, on your feet all day, strict policies, little flexibility with how stores are run
Challenging work environment with educational elements
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Clifton Park, NYFebruary 19, 2013
Each day was typically the same - paperwork from previous days, making sure scheduling was on par with the demands of business, finding new leads, and of course following up on existing leads. Since I was typically working with teammates, either directly or indirectly involved with a sale, methodology was always changing, mainly based on the needs of the particular customer. Having a person or two to bounce ideas off of always helped in securing a sale. This diversity of thought was always one of my greatest teachers on-the-job.

The hardest part of the job was working with limited resources. Working for a company that is trying to gain and maintain a lead in the industry, while growing stock prices tends to mean limiting expenses as often as possible. This translated to me having limited employees, even during times of monumental sales growth.

The most enjoyable part of the job was having a tight knit team, capable of overcoming obstacles to accomplish our goals. This team was created and honed partially my tutelage, creating great degrees of esteem in regards to my coaching abilities.
Pros
benefits and compensation
Cons
short staff and under-appreciation from direct superiors