Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews

Found 1,090 reviews matching the search
Energetic staff provided a good workplace environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rowlett, TXMarch 27, 2016
A typical day consisted of preparing paint for contractors as well as interacting with customers. I learned how to mix and shake paint as well as how to make sales calls in order to keep in touch with our frequent buyers. The management style was laid back and it really allowed for us to get things done quicker without the pressure of rushing and making mistakes. My co-workers were very knowledgeable and insightful. The hardest part of my job was just being able to learn about all of the products in the store to a point where I was comfortable being able to sale the products to customers with no knowledge of them. The most enjoyable part of my job was knowing that I played a big part in satisfying customers' wants and needs.
Pros
Great Company as well as good compensation and benefits
Cons
Lack of communication from upper management and sometimes under staffed
Great place to work, if you're FULL TIME
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lacey, WAMarch 28, 2016
Wish a store that had over 1 million dollars in sales would have at least 1 full time employee (not including manager, asst manager.) Because of the lack thereof, after 1 year I still am a part-time employee. All year I was told a full-time spot will be open when the new year starts, but didn't happen. Plus since I was worked so much at the start of my employment, I averaged 8-9 hours a week for the final 2 months of my first 1 year term of employment.
Other than that, I like the people I work with, and my superiors. There is always something to do in the store, in which, for me it's a plus.
Pros
Benefits, job familiarity, nice co-workers
Cons
lazy co-workers, open to close shifts
Great Part Time Job
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Waldo, MOMarch 10, 2016
I have enjoyed working for the company for four years now as it has being a very enriching experience. I have picked many skill like working with point of sales systems for example that I feel will help me exceed in the future. I also have had the chance to work with the public and know how to satisfy the needs of many.
Pros
flexible schedules, nice store manager, get to listen to music while I work, and close to home
Cons
Have to work every weekend, disgruntled customers, and not getting a raise in two years for preforming well
Moving forward towards management bittersweet
Customer Service Representative/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2016
great company. It has its ups and downs.MOVING FORWARD TOWARDS MANAGEMENT BITTERSWEET. They over look employees that have been there for years for young college students that come in with only looking at the salary and eventually end up quitting because they don't want to work or either do a horrible job and end up running the stores into the grown for horrible customer service which brings up more and more unnecessary rules.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
Overlooked for upcoming management positions for no experienced new hire
An excellent resource for painters and home oweners
Third Key/Assistant manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 31, 2016
The most enjoyable pat of this job was the learning of the products and the operational side of the business. This is where, I really polished my talent for managing a team. The co-workers were always fun to work with and ready to take on any tasks. In All, It was a great company to work at!
Pros
Excellent Training
Cons
Slow compensations
very strong career with SW - needed to relocate to Florida for my family and opportunity was not yet available at the time
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYFebruary 16, 2016
excellent company to work for; very employee friendly, very competitive salary and incentive package. Strong management and sales representative training and support by upper management - strong incentive and will for their employees to succeed
Great company benefits, but hard to move up
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodland Park, COJanuary 29, 2016
Great environment, help a lot of issues with customers who appreciate your advice. Had a lot of broken promises though. Promised promotions and raises, never got either. I've been working for Sherwin for almost 3 years, not one raise, i have my bachelor's now and was promised a promotion when i would obtain it, never got it, worked very hard and got lied to.
Pros
great benefits and great learning experience
Cons
Hard to move up, alot of competition
Great place to jump start a career
Sales / Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 11, 2016
SW has great benefits, and for a new graduate, it is the best place to jump start a career. It can be a little stressful if you have a family when in management, but if you have a support system at home, it is a piece of cake. Overall, a good company with amazing management in Salt Lake City District.
Pros
1000 dollar increment every 6 months for a new Management Trainee
Cons
May be a little stressful if you have young kids and not any support at home.
Fast paced work environment.
Sales Associate/Driver (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILFebruary 23, 2016
This was not the best job I have had. The hours were varied and the lack of upward mobility was astounding. Preferential treatment was given to certain employees. Many of the employees seemed bitter about having to go to work. The compensation was pitiful and the lack of benefits was unimpressive. Management was good at what they did.
The company changed a lot during my tenure, not all changes were for the best.
Commercial Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  KentuckyDecember 10, 2015
Sherwin-Williams has a big city mentality, and does not seem to have the management in place to understand the adjustments necessary for smaller or rural markets. Nepotism is rampant, it is the good old boy network and all about who you know. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement, compensation is in line with the demands of the job. Their understanding of work life balance is Work for Life and forget about family.
Good job security but very stressful
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oshtemo, MINovember 11, 2015
I think I would like Sherwin a lot better if I felt like my needs were being taken into account. I am forced to drive 1.5 hours every day to work and 1.5 hours back. I didn't choose this location but was willing to cope until a position opened up. However, 5 positions were open and none were posted for my relocation even though I made my personal hardships clear. Instead I was told that none of that matters and that I had better get used to it.

Sherwin Williams has a lot of great opportunities to move up in the company and their benefits are good but they are a large corporation that doesn't have a very good HR department. So if you are looking for flexibility and a company that takes your specific needs into account then you are looking at the wrong company. This is a large reason why turnover rate is very high. Your personal life may as well not exist. It is irrelevant.
Pros
training, job security, decent pay, good benefits, opportunity to move up
Cons
impersonal, stressful work environment, harsh, little HR support
Great company to work for. Very friendly.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colesville, MDFebruary 18, 2016
Working with Sherwin Williams Paint Co. has been an amazing experience and dedicated time. This company takes care of their employees and provides great benefits including, Health Insurance, Dental and 401k plans. The opportunity to grow and achieve is very good.
They ask a lot, but can't keep up with the cost of living.
Inside sales and delivery (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 28, 2015
This is a high paced company that asks a lot from its employees. In return their medical benefits are very sub par for what you pay, and expect raises that are less than the average annual cost of living. Management at the branch level is OK, but from the region on up; it is atrocious. They only care about the bottom line, and that is their bonuses.
It is a high paced job, so unless you are in management, expect to learn on the fly and train yourself.
The hardest part about the job is the ever changing policies set at the region level. Constant memos on why something isn't done, yet why is their overtime. A conundrum!!
The employees have always been good to work for.
Pros
the employees.
Cons
Bad raises. Little training. No real upward mobility.
Just isn't worth it anymore
Sales Associate/ key holder (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 28, 2015
I've worked for Sherwin for a brief time now ,but unfortunately I cant afford to stay here. The people are great and friendly but after now having my hours cut for the third time in three months I can't afford to stay. Working 25 hrs/wk for $9.67/hr is probably ok for a high school or college student but not for a 31 yr old man trying to raise a 9 yr old by himself.
Different positions
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasJanuary 30, 2016
Learned to manage and experience different positions. There are different things available but may not necessarily be what you want to do. Work life balance does not match compensation.
Excellent Culture
IT Manager - Corporate Division (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHFebruary 4, 2016
Sherwin Williams is a great place to work. It is a diverse company with great culture. Convenient location.Great benefits and compensation
Fast Pace, Great Company with Benefits
Lead Sales (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 12, 2015
Typical workday consist of taking orders over the phone and setting up deliveries. A lot of lifting, walking, bending,standing. Management was very easy to work for. Very flexible with scheduling. Best part of working for SW was my co workers. They were very respectful and worked as a team. The hardest part was that some customers where very hard to assist at times due to their lack of paint knowledge.
Pros
Full time, Benefits and store hours
Cons
Dificult customers at times.
Decent place to start.
Assistant Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 20, 2016
Great place to start after you graduate college if you're just getting started. You learn how to manage a small staff. Work hours can vary which isn't great. Nevertheless it is very easy to learn how and there is a great bonus structure and generous entry level salary.
Great Company to Develop your Skills
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 18, 2016
Great 1st job to learn and develop.
Work changes everyday and is fast paced.
Management is tough but fair, expect results
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
There is always at least a 10% budget increase
productive
Driver/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 25, 2016
great place, fun place, love the environment, learn something new everyday, great benefits, manager cool, fun work place