Sherwin-Williams

Sherwin-Williams Employer Reviews

Great job opportunity, can utilize skills learned in all aspects of business
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Denver Metro ColoradJanuary 26, 2015
Conducted face-to-face sales calls and seminars at customer locations across North Denver area to build relationships, generate sales, and prospect new leads in commercial contractor field. Performed cold calling, pre-call planning, marketing, and account management.
Bachelor's degree for a blue-collar job - don't get that desperate!
Assistant Manager/Management Training Program (Former Employee), Gun Barrel City, TXJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: good training about paint through the corporate office
Cons: you have to move to wherever they send you, you have to break your lease when they transfer you, customers who treat you badly, company puts the customer above you
I found Sherwin-Williams at the Career Fair at my university and began my short career with them in their Management Training Program as an MTP at first, then as Assistant Manager in a store over 100 miles from my home. I told the recruiter, who would also be my District Manager, that I had signed a contract two months earlier to purchase a home in Fort Worth and he promised I would be placed locally.
After my training, the DM surprised me with two "choices" of stores to transfer to, both in Texas but both located over 100 miles from my home. Either one required me to rent a place to stay and pay utilities, which reduced my salary considerably. The relocation program never paid me back for the moving expenses.
The company is only interested in selling paint, regardless of what they say. They "say" you will be managing the profitability of the store you go to, but the reality is they are always monitoring and calling, taking micromanagement to new heights.
The manager of the store I ended up at (the lesser of two evils) did not have a degree and had bumped her head up against the ceiling (no degree prevented her from advancing) at the company for 12 years. The two part-time employees, also without college degrees, were disappointed when a newcomer was "placed" in the Assistant Manager position (just because I had a degree), the job each of them was vying for and a position I was thrust into (by virtue of being an MTP with a college degree). They both felt they were more qualified and were resentful because the company "placed" me in the position.
The HR Manager and the District – more... Manager did not listen to me or seem to care.
A typical day was driving into the parking lot a half-hour before opening and being met by a crowd of painters, each wanting their paint NOW, all standing at or near the door like puppies wanting to be let inside. When the door opened, they all rushed in wanting to be waited on first, some getting irate. I was expected to entertain them, offer and make coffee for them, AND tint gallons and gallons of paint using a computerized tint machine with my back to the customers (some stores are configured as forward-facing). I had to go to the back of the store to get the paint, all while watching for theft, get all of the customers taken care of, and putting out "fires" left over from the previous day, make sure our store remained profitable by perusing the P/L statement - and still make 40 calls to painters or painting companies. I answered the phone, took messages and prioritized the needs of the customers, tinted massive quantities of paint, returned mis-tinted paint (even if it was what they had ordered) and gave credits, kissed-up to a bunch of painters suffering from entitlement issues, who enjoyed picking on the newbie MTP. I used a dolly to move three 5-gallon buckets at a time, each filled with heavy paint, and was expected to lift the heavy buckets into the vans and trucks for mostly male painters. On days I had a part-timer, I had to make sure they didn't go over their hours, did their jobs, followed company policy, etc., AND get MY job done, too. I felt like all I ever did was powder hineys and kiss boo-boo's all day.
On days I closed, I also had to verify the sales, close the cash drawers, count money and make out the bank deposit, and then go by the bank on my way home to make the deposit.
Six days a week, seldom with two people working at the same time, hard labor...$38,000 a year may sound like a lot of money to start out with, but trust me, you will never be able to repay your student loans or have money to pay your landlord to get out of your lease every time the company decides to move you to wherever they want. You just have to "Suck it Up, Buttercup" and go where they say or go find another job.
I want you to think about THIS: Did you REALLY spend four years and a bunch of Benjamin's to get a college degree only to work in a blue-collar, manual labor job? – less
Good Company For Recent College Graduates
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), North CarolinaJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: meet a lot of people, broadening scope of knowledge, co-workers.
Cons: average benefits, corporate headaches, customers.
SW is a solid company when comparing to others in the paint industry. Upper management seems to have a good relationship with each store and each employee. It was nice selling products that I could stand by knowing they were superior to other competitors. Having only worked there for a year, I felt as though I was fairly compensated. Mixing paint for 40k+bonuses sounded adequate most days. Now, does anyone in a management role at SW go to school thinking they want to run a paint store? Of course not. But this company will supply you with a proper foundation of business-related knowledge to keep the wheels turning. What you choose to do with that knowledge is up to the individual. Many choose to stay with SW due to advancement opportunities, compensation (bonuses can be BIG...try like 50k), and comfort of the job. Few will take what they have learned from the business and apply it to a new career.
Usually a fun place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee), Santa Rosa Beach, FLJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: doing yearly inventory :)
I worked with customers. Took paint orders, made paint, sold paint, stocked shelves, ordered inventory, made schedules, etc.
I learned a lot about paint materials and painting procedures.
I also learned more about managing people and the managing of a retail store.
Good benefits & pay / Lack of management
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Summerfield, FLJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: small store, benefits
Cons: standing up all day
The people in the company are all very friendly and nice. The job itself is very demanding physically, mentally, and emotionally. Although the benefits and pay are good, there is a lack of management and connection between you and the higher-ups. Often times, store is understaffed. You have to learn most things on the job. Other than that, there's freedom and always something to do. Days go by quick which is nice.
Sherwin Williams
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJanuary 21, 2015
A typical day at work is very interesting. I never go through the same day there is always something different. There is also always something new to learn. Sherwin Williams is a every growing company. being a Key Holder I have responsibitlites such as managing and overseeing employees when my manager leaves the store. Thus, my job is to make sure that the store is functioning properly and everything is maintained in my managers absence. My co -workers work with me as a team and we get things done by balancing out the weight throughout the day. the most enjoyable part of my job is when i get to manage the store. I enoy managing the store because it forces me to take a role that puts pressure on me , which also brings out my best potential.
Truly an amazing company!
Lead Customer Liason/Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: culture
Cons: fyi: you make the cons... at least that's what i believe
What I'm about to tell you holds true for every single company you learn about. A company is usually just a building, a couple walls, and a product. It is the people that are in it that make it great to work for... or not. I am fortunate to say that I work for/with some amazing friends and teachers.
Interesting work place fun and fast paced.
Production Worker/Assembler (Former Employee), Dolton, ILJanuary 20, 2015
I liked working with my team it was very fast paced work but I enjoyed it and learning new things everyday about the machines and the processes of keeping our work area up and running.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Daly City, CAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great environment
Best part time job ever! Nice people, great bennifis, great work environment. Managment is fair and kind they also make you feel apart of the team as soon as you step foot inside. And the product sells itself. If you need a part time job with opportunity for growth, this place is for you.
Fun and comfortable work enviroment
Picker (Former Employee), Jonestown, PAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: fun work enviroment
Cons: benefits
Picked orders in a fork lift learned how to pick orders and follow a an order list management were easy to talk to if need be friendly co workers picking enough to balance out night people were very relaxed and friendly
Sherwin Williams Review
Assistant Store Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Murray, KYJanuary 19, 2015
A great place to start your career as a young professional. Sherwin-Williams has an excellent management training program for recent graduates that does a great job of preparing former students for a career in retail. This job has rigorous hours and the overall physical demands can be strenuous.
Great company with great benefits
Operations Manager (Current Employee), TennesseeJanuary 18, 2015
This is a laid back company for the most part. No pressure from higher ups. The companies stock is rising all the time.
Fun, fast pasted work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Plainfield, ILJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: fun, relaxed work environment
Cons: no breaks, stores can be understaffed
Making sure all the customers needs are met in a timely fashion, along with stocking and basic store maintenance. Management is very helpful and experienced with training new employees, but you still must have a desire to learn. If you are willing to put in the work you will see the reward. There's always something to do and always new information to learn in the ever changing world of exterior/interior coatings.
Plant Engineering
Plant-Process Engineer (Former Employee), Crisfield, MDJanuary 16, 2015
Responsible for maintenanc dept.
Review manufacturing process.
capital requests
purchasing requisitions.
Engineering changes
Great Company to work for with plenty of room to move up.
Sale Representative (Former Employee), Moyock, NCJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: 401k, customer service traning events, life time discounts.
Great 401k benefits whether you are part time or full time, all employees are trained to deliver top notch customer service.
good company
Market Manager (Current Employee), fort worth, TXJanuary 16, 2015
Has a lot of benefits but busy schedule.
Benefits are great with 401 k dental and medical.
youl aso get trips to vacation points based on sales volume.
Their relocation package is also very good.
Store Manager schedules are hectic though
overall a good company to work for once you are out of the store
Fun
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Wenatchee, WAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: no real progress moving up in the company
Good place to work if you want to become part of a powerful team.
Great company to work for
Driver (Current Employee), El Paso TexasJanuary 15, 2015
Working at Sherwin Williams has been a great experience for me. Sherwin Williams is on the top 100 corporations to work for. I've gain excellent customer service since what you deal the most is helping customers pick the right colors for their projects and educating them on our SW products. Working at Sherwin Williams has taught me so much from physical appearance to how to speak to important people. Sherwin Williams is a great company because they work with your schedule, and they understand situations that you go through and they do their best to try and help.
Productive company with a basketball field.
Paint Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Victorville, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: barbecues and free food from restaurants, when production is good.
Testing paint at lab.Enjoying my work and trying to be productive all the time.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sioux City, IAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: vacation time, fun environment, product knowledge, very easy going.
Cons: no benefits, restricted amount of hours.
I loved working with the people at Sherwin Williams. My manager kept it a fun environment, while also giving us more product knowledge which is required of the job. The pay was better than I thought it would be even though it was only part time and I was not able to go over a certain amount of hours per week. My manager did what he could to give me as many as he could , but his hands were tied because that was corporate policy.

1 2 3 4 5

About Sherwin-Williams

No matter how you coat it, Sherwin-Williams is one of the largest paint manufacturers in the US and worldwide (along with Akzo-Nobel, – Read more

Sherwin-Williams Photos