Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews

Stressful and Poorly managed
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 8, 2018
Management tries to lead with fear and intimidation. Many ideas such as lean and 6 sigma are partially utilized making it difficult to sustain improvements. Lots of management turnover creating a constant state of chaos.
Great place to work and grow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dickinson,TXJanuary 8, 2018
Sherwin Williams was and is still a wonderful place to work and grow. Sherwin Williams is a stable place to work their benefits are 100% a reason to work for them. I enjoyed my time and experience learning paints and working with contractors. I highly recommend working for this company. The pay is average in this day of not having a college degree. Show up to work and do a good job and your branch will notice and get you a better raise than what you thought you were worth to them! That's my experience. Stable! Go for it!
Pros
Easy going
Cons
Zero
You are just a number
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2018
Valspar was probably one of the best companies I’ve ever worked for, when Sherwin Williams took over I immediately started to looking for another job, Sherwin Williams cares about their stock holders and their bottom line not their employees, I’ve seen them layoff employees that had been with them for over over 15 years without thinking about it twice, the expectations of their employees are unrealistic, there is no work and personal life balance because the stress of performing at an acceptable level will be in the back of your mind from the moment you wake up till the moment you go to bed.
Pros
There were a lot of pros until Sherwin took them away
Cons
Need I say more
Good company to work for.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 7, 2018
Fast paced and sales oriented. Competitive salary compared to other retail jobs. Advancement is easy if you are willing to relocate. Good people who seem to genuinely care about you.
productive and fast passed work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Destin, FLJanuary 7, 2018
Great place to work. Learned a lot and had a great relationship with clients. easy on the job training. large advancement opportunities. typical day is making paint for clients and creating a relationship with clients so they can depend on you to complete the task.
Pros
easy job/ does require labor
Cons
advancement opportunities may require relocation
its ok
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Miramar, FLJanuary 7, 2018
it's an ok job, not the best in the world. Pay not the best either. Rather look for something better . You get weekends off and holidays but like I said the pay sucks for what the make you do.
Sherwin-Williams
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  West Memphis, AR 72301January 7, 2018
A typical day at work consists of selling paint to customers. This includes small orders, such as selling someone a quart of paint, as well as large orders, such as filling a several hundred gallon order. This job has really taught me the fundamentals of what it takes to be an excellent employee. It has taught me how to work both effectively and efficiently. This job has allowed me to sharpen important skills, such as time management, communication skills, and learning how to diffuse difficult situations between customers and employees.
Although I have never officially held a management position, I do feel confident in my management skills that I have acquired during my time at Sherwin-Williams. I am very experienced at managing other employees and directing workflow in order to accomplish tasks. This includes managing employees inside of the store, as well as the delivery drivers at our store. I have also gained valuable experience in inventory control. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the competition. We are constantly having to compete with the other businesses in the area that also sell paint. Everyday, I have to convince customers why they should buy our paint instead of the competition, and why it is well worth the money. Although this can be a difficult task at times, it is a very rewarding experience when people decide to buy paint from me. It reassures me that I have done my job correctly, as well as satisfied yet another customer. The most enjoyable part of my job is when people come back after buying paint for the first time. Many customers
  more... are very pleased with the paint they purchase, so they come back for all of their painting needs instead of going somewhere else.  less
Pros
satisfying customer needs, gaining valuable work experience
Cons
limited hours
Paint Maker (Former Employee) –  Andover, KSJanuary 6, 2018
everyday was challenging working together making new product we work as a team to accomplish what needed to be done in right time frame and had time to clean up for a fresh tomorrow
Pros
sometime
Cons
overtime
Helping Many Small Business
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 6, 2018
A typical day at work would start with many painters, contractors, and home owners entering the store getting paint and materials to begin their day. My colleagues and I would prepare every order that walked in the door.
I would communication between stores for confirmation on prices, customers, and small business owners.
I learned that a home improvement project such as painting requires assistance and direction. I would educate homeowners and painters on the different paints, primers, and sealers necessary to get their home project done.
The workplace culture was very collaborative. I enjoyed that all of my colleagues and I would always work as a team together in order to increase sales and provide excellent customer service.
The hardest part of the job was explaining to customers the benefits of our product over the competitors product. Even though our paint was not as cost efficient, we would back up the quality of our products with guaranteed satisfaction.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be getting news of a project being completed on time, and without any issues, no matter the size. It made me feel like we did our part well.
Pros
Health Benefits and Monitary Benefits
Cons
No room for growth and some discrimination from customers
Fast paced and fun environment
Temporary Central Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 5, 2018
Use software to manage drivers in over 12 districts. Learned the layout of many different cities. The management team was great. The hardest part about the job was when drivers called off trying to adjust the deliveries with less.
very good company , job training, good benifits
Store Manager/Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 5, 2018
One of the best companies i worked for high advancement appertunities, great trining, very good work environment good pay very good career company, endless advancement choices.
Pros
Very good bonus program for management and up.
Cons
work can be very physical at times, and it is very season driven
Do more with less, still on DOS
Property Management Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 5, 2018
If you have ever read Yertle the Turtle, this book explains how the culture has become, pilling more on the little guys. Work more with less resources and staff. Still on DOS computer systems which are slow and outdated. Mostly male dominated upper management with favortism towards those who hit numbers. Unfair and unethical Loss Provention policies force good employees out.
Pros
Nice benefits, and time off accrues the longer you work
Cons
Culture is outdated and super conservative, expected to do more with less
Productive and Fun place to work
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2018
I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash. On a given day, during the early hours you will find me cleaning and reorganizing my work area. Finding out proactively what their priorities are for the week, meeting with team Leader for fifteen minutes to communicate our Production goals from weeks shift. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and we can effectively meet our next target goals in production expectations and avoid Friday evening surprises. The rest of the week goes in delivering the product(s), My role involves extensive responsibilities and staying organized is not an option.
Pros
reward lunches
Cons
working threw breaks to meet goals
Review
QUALITY ASSURANCE INTERN (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 4, 2018
Days were typically filled with actual work and meetings. There is a workplace culture. No part of the work is any more or less challenging than at any other company.
Great Part Time Work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Lewiston IDJanuary 3, 2018
Sherwin Williams is a great place to work part time while going to school, or if you only need part time work. Cohesive teams that make work enjoyable as well as productive.
Normal Office Environment-some travel for customer meetings
Sr. Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 3, 2018
Just like all corporate cultures, they walk the fine line of maximizing employee productivity while attempting to maintain employee morale. Work life balance varies wildly from job to job. Good benefits, competitive pay, good people. Listening to employee feedback and facilitating any kind of positive change is an opportunity for improvement.
Sherwin williams
CUSTOMER SALES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJanuary 2, 2018
Great company, will work employees into the ground. company is going for a younger approach. MTP program promotes unqualified employees with only 6 weeks or less of training and leaves well qualified ones behind.
Top Company to Work For
National Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJanuary 2, 2018
The company had a good work life balance. They focused on growth industries and new business development. A strategic direction was communicated clearly at an annual sales meeting.
Pros
Growth oriented, great leadership
Cons
I had no serious cons.
Educating customers and employees of paint
Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 2, 2018
Help fill customer orders
Delegate work to employees
Order Product
Match Colors
Clean Warehouse and fill shelves in showroom floor
A lot of physical work on your feet
Helping customers
Pros
Free lunches during company meetings
Cons
Short Breaks
management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Seabrook, TXJanuary 2, 2018
The management do not really care about the employees. The job is easy but when it comes to racism, sexism and just disrespect from customers, the managers turn their heads. "Customers are always right" is not accurate. being an minority and female, I deal with a lot of disrespect and I wish that management would have our backs a little more. Also being short staff is a huge problem at this company, being an assistant manager, you already have to work 44 hours a week minimum, but since its short staffed its a lot of 12 hour shifts, working 7-9 days straight, and still having to try to have a life. overall this job is good for now while I am in Grad school.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sherwin-Williams. Our community is ready to answer.