Sherwin-Williams

Sherwin-Williams Employer Reviews

Fun, fast paced environment with emphasis on sales
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), East Brunswick, NJNovember 4, 2014
Working for this company is wonderful. There is more of an emphasis on sales then anything else when you are in the management role.
A great place to work if you're "the right fit"
Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee), Clarksville, MDNovember 4, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: upper management & politics
Typical day at work:
Cashier, tinter, stocker, and anything else managers want you to do.

What I learned:
The main things I learned from this job is the sales process.

Management:
In store management: Most I dealt with are great people to work for.

Assistant managers: These can be the weakest link in the store. Some of the "Management in Training – more... (MTP)" are down right awful. They for the most part do not receive enough training and can be a burden for the rest of the team.
More experienced assistant managers are very helpful and don't think they are above the part-timers.

Upper Management (City & District Managers)
The less you have to deal with them, the better. It could be the area i'm in (Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia), but there's something wrong there.

Co-workers:
Some co-workers are lazy, some are snakes, some can be the best you've worked with. If you work in a store where management is well liked, it'll be a more positive and helpful team.

Hardest part of the job:
Dealing with management and contractors/DIY'ers that think they're above the employees.

Most enjoyable part of the job:
Being able to help contractors and DIY'ers that treat you like a human being. – less
Team work and friendship is great
Accounting/Financial Processor; (Temp) (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHNovember 3, 2014
Pros: all good
Cons: hard to get full time job
I love working at SW, I am only temp, I wish I could stay longer. I will look for more opportunities to stay at SW
Amazing Environment
Contract Attorney through Special Counsel (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHNovember 3, 2014
This may have just been a temp/document review job, but I absolutely loved it! The management was friendly but professional, and there was a great balance between fun and work.
Had a great supervisor to work for
Store Assistant Manager (Former Employee), High Point, NCOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great work environment, good benefits
I had the opportunity to work and service great people. My job was easy because of the relationships I developed with customers and fellow employees.
Good Company to work for
credit entry specialist (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 29, 2014
good management friendly coworkers The company went out of its way to give the employees great working conditions and benefits
Challenging work environment
Management Intern (Current Employee), MontanaOctober 29, 2014
Pros: great employees, great benefits, amazing opportunity for advancement
Cons: dealing with rude customers
I really enjoyed Sherwin-Williams!

Work environment is really hands on. You communicate with all contractors and DIY (do it yourself) customers on a daily basis. The summer is when everyone usually decides to work on painting projects; especially DIY customers. Never a dull day and you're challenged to learn all products and their specific uses.

The – more... manager and assistant manager I worked for were tremendous and really helped me out with any questions I ever had. They always worked with me in regards to my schedule and days I wished to have off.

I actually have no true cons, the only thing that I can say is that the specific job was not fit for me and my interests relating to a personal career choice. – less
Not the right job for me
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vinita, OKOctober 24, 2014
Pros: getting to know the area i live in by driving
Cons: no breaks, difficult co-workers
A typical day of work here includes leaving covered in paint and lifting heavy objects. It also includes assisting customers in choosing the colors for their home and mixing and delivering paint for construction sights.
A great company to work for.
Corporate Director of Global Sales and Licensing (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHOctober 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits and stock option plan
During my 9 years, I was mainly responsible for development and growth of the international sales, joint ventures and licensing operations. I lead highly professional teams both Cleveland-based and international-based. For past 9 years, I worked and reported to highly professional executives (Global President and Senior Vice President). I also interacted – more... directly with top executives (CEO, COO, and CFO) of Sherwin-Williams organization, during the annual operating plans.

The hardest part of my job is during my team's annual appraisal review, when unachieving/ under performing employee turns his/her appraisal into confrontational. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I hear words or praise or recognition from top management, in addition, assisting and coaching my teams. In addition, when achieving and exceeding goals and objectives, individually and as a team. – less
Excellent management communication
Salesperson (Current Employee), Gaylord, MIOctober 18, 2014
Customer service includes assisting in color selections and product selection. Tint paint to colors and complete sale at register. Maintaining colorant levels in the tinter and clean daily. Everyday I am learning about a product we carry.
The most challenging part of the job is selecting someone else's colors. The most enjoyable part of the job is my – more... co-workers. With any career you spend many hours with your team and when you work well together it feels more like family. The management empowers their employees to provide the best customer service and is open to new ideas. – less
Best Boss i've worked for
Blending specialist/warehouser (Former Employee), Ponca City, OKOctober 17, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: assistant management
Had a great time interacting with customers and contractors. Working for a boss like i did i learned alot about the industry and over all life goals
could pay better
Product Specialist (Former Employee), Roanoke Rapids, NCOctober 16, 2014
This is a big company, and this makes it very hard to move up. The pay is also very bad.
Sherwin-Williams
Summer Intern (Former Employee), South Holland, ILOctober 15, 2014
Pros: great pay, good management, great employees
Cons: closed environment, no open door policy, job is not exciting
A typical day at Sherwin-Williams is clocking in to start shift heading up stairs to go to your work station and start testing paint. What I learned at Sherwin-Williams is how to work in a closed environment. It was similar to an office job. Management and employees were very nice and great. It was so much of an open door policy, but if you did want – more... to share your opinions you could. The hardest part of the job was being in a closed space, not seeing new face and customers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was they appreciated their employees, giving us employee picnics, sending ice cream trucks, and buying employees meals. – less
Fast paced friendly environment
3rd Key Holder Supervisor (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2014
Pros: free drinks
Cons: limited lunch break
I would have a list of things that needed to be done by the end if the shift. i would check them off as I went and when I was done the shift would be over.
Clean Glass
Clean beverage station
Sweep/Mop floors
Sweep parking lot
Take out trash
Change out beverages
Stock up inventory
Cash and credit transactions
to get to know alot of good peole
Salesperson/Asst (Former Employee), Jackson, MSOctober 14, 2014
meeting to people
how to deal with people in stressful situations
assistant manager training and closing the store by myself
trained the new people and tried to have a good work environment
n/a
Database Administrator Professional Apprentice (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHOctober 14, 2014
I love what I do for Sherwin. However I do not wish to give details of day to day operations.
Play the game
Former Employee (Former Employee), IllinoisOctober 14, 2014
Pros: good if your into work politics
Cons: healthcare, cliqueish culture
You don't really need to know anything. Just say the right buzz words and suck up to the right people and you can go far. Health insurance is horrible coverage, other benefits aren't bad though. Pay is less than other companies, so they have high turnover rates in the technical divisions. They are also on a big kick of promoting women, especially blondes.
Great company to grow with.
Warehouse Tech. (Current Employee), Waco, TXOctober 13, 2014
Pros: great hours, excellent safety programs, good management
Cons: hot in the summers and cold in the winters.
It is fast past and physically demanding but the company takes care of there employees. I could not be happier.
Would not recommend
Key Holder (Former Employee), O'Fallon, MOOctober 13, 2014
Pros: contractor lunches and conferences
Cons: work/life balance and no latteral movement.
This job is great for college grads and anyone with a college degree. Not family friendly and horrible work/life balance. No breaks and eat on the go. Exposure to chemicals and nasty contractors who yell at you when it is someone else's fault.
Loved working with a friendly staff
Store Assistant Manager (Former Employee), IndianaOctober 13, 2014
Pros: very friendly store staff, benefits, advancement
Cons: no breaks, impossible to have an outside of work life, frustrating contractors
Great company, tons of advancement opportunities, and great people.

However, horrible work/life balance. Lots of back to back closing/opening by yourself, stuck working lots of weekends. Missed lots family events because of work (because they were mainly on weekends and could not request off), including lots of holidays. I brought it up to corporate, – more... but they explained that it was simply just the positions responsibilities. Very easy to say when the office is closed all weekends and holidays if you ask me, but seniority had the upper hand to choose if they wanted to work weekends for some reason, therefore they never had to.

Very few contractors respected the staff. I worked with very hard-working/smart people and they, including myself, were stepped on and looked over a lot. It was something that just came with the job and you find out very early so you can decide if you can handle it. Some can, and some can't. If you have a lot of patience and are able to brush off comments, you will be completely fine. Can't take a lot of stuff that they say to you seriously..

Was not this way when I started with the company, my schedule in the beginning was a lot more set and very easy to work with. I don't know what happened. They take very, very good care of their employees, but strictly only if it's related to work. I really wish it wasn't this way because I was really, really happy there. – less

About Sherwin-Williams

No matter how you coat it, Sherwin-Williams is one of the largest paint manufacturers in the US and worldwide (along with Akzo-Nobel, – Read more

Sherwin-Williams Photos