Sherwin-Williams Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,060 reviews matching the search
good place to learn a multitude of skills
Supervisor Warehouse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 28, 2016
challenging and fast pace working environment. this company was conducive to my skill set. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning the products and how they were applied in industry. management and work staff executed their duties in a highly efficient manner. the hardest part of the job is when we were short staffed. this wasn't an issue, however, because of the professional approach of management and staff. at Sherwin Williams we wore many hats so this contributed to our ability to work through shortage of personnel.
Pros
organization. healthcare and retirement benifits. progressive company
Cons
slow salary growth
See comments
Store color consultant/ Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterbury, CTJune 25, 2016
This is a good company for someone with a degree who wants to move up to a management position quickly. There is good training for those who are interested. I am not interested in management, and they don't offer any room for me as far as advancement, hours, and benefits are concerned. I have enjoyed my work experience with this company, but my current situation requires me to pursue full time work with a reputable company with room to advance. I would like a base pay and commission.
Pros
Flexible work schedule and friendly co-workers with a team spirit. 401K options available.
Cons
No time and a half for Sundays. No sick time or medical benefits for part timers.
Best Company i have ever worked for.
Forklift Operations Tech (Current Employee) –  Beltsville, MDMay 18, 2016
Let me start off by saying i have been working warehouse/Production jobs since 2003. I have worked for several companys over a 13 year time frame and Sherwin Williams is the best hands down. I work a 2-2-3 schedule meaning work 2 off 2 work 2 off 2 work 3 off 3. Basically i never work more than 3 days straight and im guranteed 8 hours of overtime every paycheck. Granted each day is a 12 hour shift, the work life balance is amazing. I recieved 2 raises in 3 months. And i will recieve a 3 dollar raise after 1 year which would push me pass 20 bucks hourly. YOU CAN NOT BEAT THAT working warehouse. I will max out at about 24 bucks hourly after 2 years. Great benefits, and ample opportunity to move around to different positions if i choose. 401k and pension. I will definitely be retiring from Sherwin Williams.
Pros
Cons
Some negative ppl but overall family atmosphere.
Reasons it is not the place to work
driver (Former Employee) –  merritt island, flJuly 16, 2015
This is a fortune 500 company that only hires part time to skimp on paying real wages and benefits.

They charge every employee regardless of meager salary, $25.00 to go to the christmas party.

They operate like a machine whereby you are nothing more to them than a labor widget despensable at managements whim.

They change your job duties to include way more than what is discussed at the interview.

If you have a suggestion to make an improvement, you had better forget it and keep it to yourself. Only management are capable of these earth shattering decisions.

If you have the misfortune of conflict with a superior, you lose automatically without any chance to be heard because you mean absolutely nothing to upper management.

Patronization from the top down is the standard communication at SW.

Organized activities with co-workers are nonexistent (ex softball)

It is an extremely dull and unrewarding work environment.

good luck
Pros
you can stave off homelessness in you're lucky
Cons
you might as well shoot yourself if you work there
Corporate world
Store Manager/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 20, 2016
It's only easy to move up if you have a bachelor's degree. My advice? Stay an assistant manager as long as you can. Managers work endless hours without getting a new ASM for months sometimes. And those endless hours are not compensated as you are salaried. Also, this company is not for the brutally honest. It's a corporate world, you have to be willing to compromise your morals if you hope to move up! Other than that, loved my customers and still have good friendships with them, and learned a lot about paint...
Pros
Customer relationships, knowledge of P&L, discount on paint
Cons
Salaried and long hours (70+ per week), honesty doesn't go far in the corporate world
Great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morristown, TNAugust 8, 2016
My day usually started off getting some items rounded up for delivery. After i had gotten back from 4 to 5 deliveries I was back in the store helping customers and answering questions. Once or twice a week the freight would come in and my coworkers and I would spend the day helping customers and in our down time stocking the shelves. There were only about 5 of us working there when i was which i loved. You really get to know your co-workers and your not just a worker. You really feel like part of a team.
Pros
Easy work, great benefits, small work environment
Cons
I was part time and tried to get a full time spot but never an opportunity.
Excellent product line and market penetration.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ILJuly 15, 2016
A typical workday consisted of the following activities:

Customer facing sales opportunities
Training sessions with Lowes employees
Planning meetings with SW manager
Internal training on new product launches
Manage territory month to month performance
Team travel to support special sales promotions
Inventory management at all 9 Lowes locations

This was a fun and challenging job, which provided a standard list of activities however it also allowed for a certain amount of creative individual ideas.
Pros
Excellent products and strong distribution channel
Great company to learn from and grow
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  FloridaJuly 31, 2016
You learn everything to know about paint, to answer questions and mix paint to customers specifications. It seems like everyone is working there to move onto bigger and better things as the job is very physically demanding. Management is pretty easy going as long as you're not breaking any of the rules. Hardest part is dealing with customers that know nothing about paint and want the best product for the cheapest price.

The computer system is the slowest thing on the planet. They're trying to upgrade to DSL which is an outdated and unreliable technology.
Great experience... Fun even when it's busy.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 7, 2016
I worked for Sherwin Williams for 5 yrs. Started in the warehouse making $9hr and when I left I was making incredible money.. Salary, benefits, and bonuses. The guys you work with are great and days go by fast having that much fun. There are some down sides to this though. The toxins in the air from thinners, lacquer, and solvent base products have destroyed my kidneys and liver. After 5 yrs of breathing the toxins and getting it on my skin, only 20% of my kidneys are functioning. When I got hired no one told me about wearing mask and gloves. Consider this for your health. Money isn't everything.
Pros
Great co-workers, ability to advance quickly, good pay
Cons
TOXINS WILL DESTROY YOUR BODY!!!
Good company
Sales Representative Multi segment (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAAugust 18, 2016
Good solid foundation with the company I have learned several aspects of the job related field especially dealing with internal and external people. I conduct daily calls to existing an potential new customers. I have a rural territory so drive time can be longer. The hardest part of the job is managing time for sales and my involvement in other assigned duties or other time consuming items that distract me from my focus. I like to win and for the most part the team members have been fair and good to deal with
Pros
Solid business
Cons
Stress, and ballance with work life
Very nice place to work, Looked forward to going to work every day.
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioSeptember 18, 2015
Works accurately at a rapid pace and follows correct procedures,ensures that quality of work conforms to specifications.

Energetic and physically fit,able to stoop, lift heavy objects and stand for long periods of time. Ability to work efficiently indoors or outdoors.
Pros
Free lunches once a month at meetings 401k company match
Cons
Poor training
Interesting, challenging, competitive and fulfilling
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 23, 2016
This competitive, rewarding and thrilling company provides each individual a platform to learn what it takes to be a fierce sales representative. The chase is on for new business while continually thwarting competitors of existing accounts.
Pros
Great leadership, fantastic colleagues, proper tools to perform your job, flexible schedule.
Cons
Industry consolidation, potential for advancement
Good resume builder after college
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  OhioSeptember 30, 2015
It's a decent company, decent benefits and pay. Long hours, no work life balance, heavy lifting, heard many complaints about not being able to move up in the company.
Pros
Pay, benefits, resume builder.
Cons
No work life balance
Pretty good place to work.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brandon, MSFebruary 29, 2016
I just help customers everyday, I learn about products everyday, on tuesdays we get trucks that have our product in them and it usually takes a few day to put up. My coworkers are pretty good, very nice. The hardest part would probably have to be when a customer calls in like 50 or 60 gallon order over the phone and then 4 customers come in and you have to help them first.
Pros
Pay wage over minimum wage, good hours, typically slow during the day
Cons
Management doesn't help with anything other than customer, sometimes extremely busy and you can't take a break til they are all gone.
Paint company
Retail Store Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTNovember 9, 2015
Was great company when I started changed philosophy after about 5 years became very number only company stopped caring about teams and employees.
Pros
good benefits
Poor organization
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 14, 2016
Poor organization, very hot work environment, employees not treated equally, nothing given as promised when adquiring job, dont have the correct tools or parts available to do the job right, and machine operators make as much or more than the mechanics, which mechanics should make more. Also no formal training or orientation when starting job. No teamwork whats o ever, leads are rude ,need to learn how to treat people with respect and value the hard work done.
Pros
Decent money due overtime
Cons
Healthcare really affordable
Plenty of work for low compensation
Sales Associate - Key Holder (Current Employee) –  NJJune 2, 2016
Long hours where there is no break offered and as a key holder you are often stuck with closing or opening alone which can be rather unsafe. There are usually not too many people who are staffed therefore, all of the responsibility of the store falls on even those who are just part-time. They use the "culture" of the business as a way to use the employees and not show them appreciation for the hard work they do put into the position.
Pros
Decent pay after working in the business for a short amount of time
Cons
No breaks and safety concerns
Waste of Time
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXSeptember 2, 2015
FOS: Full of Sht. They don't care, you won't get promoted, and they will squeeze out the last bit of life you have left. Long hours, physical labor, not such thing as a typical day, and no such thing as breaks.
Pros
Salary, Bonus
Cons
Benefits, Work life balance, Management sucks
A healthy and professional environment, in which to learn efficiently
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJune 22, 2015
I loved working at Sherwin Williams. Always happy and responsible employees to work around. This environment motivated me to work even harder. Best job I've ever had. Need taller vans though, due to heavy lifting while bent over. Not good for long term due to the van height, but will work again.
Pros
Good work, people, holidays, lunch break, understanding management, raises every year
Cons
Drivers cannot move up in company, no full-time driver employment
small team, so easy to work with and get along with everyone
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 26, 2016
easy job, every day is about the same, help customers, tint and match paint, put away stock. you don't have to have much experience as you start off, but over time you will learn everything you need to know to basically run the store yourself. since the work crew is generally small, about 10 people max, you get to know everyone and its easy to get along with any crew. the hardest part of the job would probably be putting away heavy things, and most enjoyable would be about the last hour before the store closes, pretty much get to just chill and relax, maybe do a little bit of end day cleaning.
Pros
fairly easy job
Cons
small crew, so work often