Sherwin-Williams

Sherwin-Williams Employer Reviews

Plant Engineering
Plant-Process Engineer (Former Employee), Crisfield, MDJanuary 16, 2015
Responsible for maintenanc dept.
Review manufacturing process.
capital requests
purchasing requisitions.
Engineering changes
Great Company to work for with plenty of room to move up.
Sale Representative (Former Employee), Moyock, NCJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: 401k, customer service traning events, life time discounts.
Great 401k benefits whether you are part time or full time, all employees are trained to deliver top notch customer service.
good company
Market Manager (Current Employee), fort worth, TXJanuary 16, 2015
Has a lot of benefits but busy schedule.
Benefits are great with 401 k dental and medical.
youl aso get trips to vacation points based on sales volume.
Their relocation package is also very good.
Store Manager schedules are hectic though
overall a good company to work for once you are out of the store
Fun
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Wenatchee, WAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: no real progress moving up in the company
Good place to work if you want to become part of a powerful team.
Great company to work for
Driver (Current Employee), El Paso TexasJanuary 15, 2015
Working at Sherwin Williams has been a great experience for me. Sherwin Williams is on the top 100 corporations to work for. I've gain excellent customer service since what you deal the most is helping customers pick the right colors for their projects and educating them on our SW products. Working at Sherwin Williams has taught me so much from physical appearance to how to speak to important people. Sherwin Williams is a great company because they work with your schedule, and they understand situations that you go through and they do their best to try and help.
Productive company with a basketball field.
Paint Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Victorville, CAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: barbecues and free food from restaurants, when production is good.
Testing paint at lab.Enjoying my work and trying to be productive all the time.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sioux City, IAJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: vacation time, fun environment, product knowledge, very easy going.
Cons: no benefits, restricted amount of hours.
I loved working with the people at Sherwin Williams. My manager kept it a fun environment, while also giving us more product knowledge which is required of the job. The pay was better than I thought it would be even though it was only part time and I was not able to go over a certain amount of hours per week. My manager did what he could to give me as many as he could , but his hands were tied because that was corporate policy.
Fast paced work environment
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 13, 2015
The hours are not M-F 8-5. I enjoy how the days fly by. My coworkers are fantastic!
Fun work place environment that is fast-paced with very friendly customers
Store Decorative Product Specialist (Former Employee), Flowood, MSJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: fun environment and learning finishes and different paint products for painters.
Cons: learning all in-store products and knowing what to add on certain finishes
At my day at work at Sherwin-Williams, our tasks were to give customer service to the Painters and DIY (Do It Yourself) customers. Customers would look at the Color Chart to see which color they liked best for their home or business and tell us the color. They they would pick their product choice of paint that they would like their color to be mixed into. Our job was to type in the Color's name and the Formula and add the colors into the paint of their choice. We then would shake the paint in a shaker for about 3 minutes and the exact color of their choice would be inside of the paint can. We also did shipment every Monday and we cleaned throughout the store on our down time.

I have learned so much with this company. Coming into the company I knew nothing about paint but I chose the company because I like to learn what I have not already known. I like to broaden my experiences. I learned how to make paint, how to help customers find the perfect color, how to match paint color chips, what to use on finishes and what NOT to use on finishes, and what products are best for their home.

I loved the management team. They did not mind helping out if you were stuck on a customer. They teach you about every aspect in the store and they have helped me to learn so much within the company.

My co-workers also helped on questions I may have had. They were all very friendly and if any of us needed help we didn't mind helping each other.

The hardest part of the job for me was sending our products to different stores. Another Sherwin-Williams store would call our store and ask if we had a – more... specific product and ask how many we would have. If we wanted to give them our products we had to fill out a form from our computer screen. I had a hard time with it because it was difficult and I would have a hard time getting to the form.

The most enjoyable part of the job to me was getting to know the Painters and customers and getting their products for them. I have a very strong skill in Customer Service. – less
Great Benefits
Store Manager (Former Employee), Joplin, MOJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: long work hours, stores are short staffed
They offer great benefit packages. The work environment can be stressful but rewarding, it all depends on what you want to take out of it. They have training programs at all levels and have meetings throughout the year to introduce new products and policies to keep you up to date. Management can be clicky, my best advice is to not get caught up in it and do your job.
Terribly managed company
Employee (Current Employee), IllinoisJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: management (lack therefor), lack of accountability, over-priced, no work/life balance, no help from upper management or hr when crises arise, favoritism among employees, harrassment, discrimination
If you're a sales rep, you hold no accountability to the store. You only answer to 2 other people who live where the district offices are and you rarely see them but hear from them often, usually only negatives. When you do see them there are issues to be resolved, even if you are meeting your goals and exceeding them. Problems are focused on and not solutions.

If you are in the floorcovering store, be prepared to make an unreasonable amount of sales calls in a small territory. Be prepared to work a minimum of 44 hours per week, more likely 48-50 mandatory.

There is very little balance between home and work as you spend most of your time at work or working from home.

Management is very very very MICRO oriented and not worried about the good thing that are accomplished on any level. Management is quick to point out faults.

Operations Manager is a glorified secretary with a fancy title. There are no managerial attributes to this position, with the local branch at least. Ops. Mgr. makes telemarketing calls all day long with very little success due to S-W pricing structure and lack of good sales.

Anyone who takes a job with S-W, specifically floorcovering, bring your lunchbox because you are expected to eat lunch and work on site the full 9 hours per day. Expect to make 20 + calls per day PLUS answer all the incoming phone calls, take all the orders, enter them into the system and possible even cut material, handle all of the installation crews and their issues daily all while the branch manager sits and makes "drawings" for 6-8 hours per day of units that he measured.

Good luck to anyone who dares attempt to be employed with S-W.

The 1 advantage is the medical benefits are pretty good.
Driver-Deliveries
Delivery/Sales/Customer Service (Former Employee), O'Fallon-St. Peters, MOJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: assistant manager at both stores were very helpful and i learned a lot from them.
Cons: deliveries got extremely heavy with no extra help to lighten the load
Basically just delivered orders to customers buildings and job sites. Have to help build customer relations in order to boost sales along with helping customers with product information in order to make educated purchases. Top management was lacking in relations with employees, while lesser management seemed more approachable and hands on with employees. Co-workers were similar to me, working there to either move on or move up, and were basically good people, I enjoyed their company. Hardest part of the job for me, was some of the deliveries. 150-350 gallons of paint a day, up a 45 degree angled hill, and 2-3 flights of stairs with no air conditioning and/or elevator. It was a smaller store so I was the only driver/deliverer, so lack of extra hands made it a bit more difficult for me. Some of the better parts of the job included some of the people I got to know. I worked in two different stores and that was definitely a good part.
Live your life for SW
Operations Manager/Assistant Manger (Former Employee), MultipleJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: if you have a good year, bonus' are very nice. plus good benefits and *starting* pay
Cons: raises do not keep up with raising costs, unrealistic demands, short staffed, feels like you are in high school with all the drama
You are expected to live and breath SW. I will say not every district is the exact same but at the end of the day they all have the same demands to meet: keep your customers happy by running all over the place/getting their orders ready, making sales calls (# depending on district) to people who typically don't want to talk to you, meet your budgets that are not always realistic (say you had a big job last year that won't come around the next year, you have to make the same sales plus more even without that), if you have a day off still expect calls from customers and employees or even your boss. Those are just a few and don't forget no store has enough staff so with all the manager expectations you better believe you will be stain matching, color matching, helping customers pick out colors for hours, tinting paint, stocking shelves. They expect too much with no help! And one more thing the only way to advance if you are ready to kiss everyone's a** on the way.
A great foundation
Store Manager (Former Employee), New Milford, CTJanuary 7, 2015
Sherwin Williams is a great foundation to anyone aspiring to not only learn the world of business, but to build a knowledge base to prepare you for many types of career paths.

You get real experience in dealing with a competitive market. All the tools and resources are accessible to you to be successful on a daily basis.
Good company with great benefits
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 6, 2015
good company to work for. They offer a great package for someone that just finished college.
Lies and more lies
Sales Representative (Former Employee), MinnesotaJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: nothing anymore, i got a clock for 5 years service, it broke
Cons: everything, no life, no family, no respect
I Worked for 8 years and it took them 7 to realize that I was worth anything like I kept telling them but then I found a new job. :) I enjoyed the people I worked with in the stores but the upper management was so disconnected from the stores. We talked about how they lived in the glass towers in Cleveland plotting more extended holidays to stay open while they took two weeks off at a time. And they hire nothing but females now which is great when your a guy trying to get ahead too. They are on so many levels nothing of what they used to be when I started and before my time. Good luck to them. By the way, when you apply for the position notice that they specifically say that you may have to work "with or without reasonable accommodation", WHY WOULD THAT BE A CONCERN SO MUCH SO THAT IT IS MENTIONED IN YOUR APPLICATION?????? GOOD FOOD FOR THOUGHT :) When your district manager sides with homeowner and doesn't stand up for you in any situation and makes you appoligize even when you both know you are right, that is the definition of Sherwin Williams team spirit, woof woof
Assistant Manager
Assistant Store Manger (Current Employee), Plantation, FLJanuary 5, 2015
Sales and Management. Always learning and fast-paced environment.
Productive, a fun work environment, efficient work skilled gained.
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Current Employee), West Chicago, ILJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: 401k, some benefits possible
Cons: part time hour limit
After opening the store making sure the money is accurate and systems are a go, you get right to work on calling customers and helping anyone that enters the store. Management is a plus because they have become pretty much good friends due to longevity at the job. As for the rest of the co-workers, we all consider each other almost family because of continuity between the group. Making calls is not really the hard part of the job but can weigh a lot on you to bring in new business consistently is where times can tend to be hard. Going to work with people you have become friends can make each day fun, but specifically learning daily work related skills with customers and how to accommodate them whatever way I can.
Productive and Laid Back Environment
Internal Field Auditor (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 5, 2015
Sherwin Williams is a great company to work for. The employees are competitive, hard-working, and passionate as well as laid back and fun. It was an overall enjoyable environment to work in.
Nice place to work.
Quality Control Lab Technician (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHJanuary 2, 2015
I loved my co-workers, we were like family. The management team at plant level was highly unorganized, but upper management was very personable, down to earth and highly skilled.

About Sherwin-Williams

No matter how you coat it, Sherwin-Williams is one of the largest paint manufacturers in the US and worldwide (along with Akzo-Nobel, – Read more

Sherwin-Williams Photos