SHi by Journeys Employee Reviews in United States

Fun environment but not enough compensation for work
Sales Associate, Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 18, 2015
I was one of only two managers in our entire store and while we weren't extremely high volume, it was exhausting work as one of the managers had to be in the store at all times. I was required to work 45 hours a week but typically went well over that. The compensation for the work was okay but the actual work took over your life so much and demanded so much that I felt a pay raise would have been more fair to the employees. However, I loved the atmosphere and the experience I gained working for Shi by Journeys. My store manager was great and very helpful when it came to training employees and myself on necessary sales skills to succeed in this job. The part time employees were typically very inexperienced when they first joined the team but with training, they would usually learn to do a lot better. Overall, I think this company could be a good place to work but it just depends on what you're looking for out of a job :-)
It was a very enjoyable place to work at.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 17, 2016
I learned great sales techniques and learned how to easily communicate with customers. Making your daily sales goals was easy and there was always a fun, upbeat environment.
Pros
You could tell you were appreciated as an employee and you had a 40% off discount.
Cons
Short shifts and minimal hours.
Best work place ever
Sales Associate-Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GA 30144April 7, 2016
very fun environment, you get to meet new people. All mangers are nice and understanding. manager was always there to help
Pros
discount on shoes
Cons
no cons
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 20, 2016
I had an great experience at Shii because I was in highschool with an job inside of Hanes Mall. I loved working there, but I could not work there as of now!
Productive and Progressing store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTApril 11, 2015
This has been so far one of my favorite places to work at! I picked it up as a second job along with my very first job that I have ever had. It was nice to walk into an environment that was fast paced, progressing, and where your team is there to help and support you. Training was quick and easy and you definitely see progression through yourself as you continue to work. The hardest part of this job for me, was enabling myself to get out of my comfort zone and find fun new ways to approach people. The most enjoyable part was talking to interesting customers, trying on the new crazy shoes, and who can't enjoy a 40% discount?
Pros
40% discount, reasonable breaks, benefits, progression
Cons
minimum pay
work
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  frisco, txJuly 21, 2015
Generally helping customers and answering phones, filling prescriptions and counting pills, calling insurance companies about issues and figuring out insurance claims. The hardest part of the job is balancing the time and getting everything done correctly and promptly, while the easiest part is helping the customers get what they need. I never had any complaints about the people I worked with or my managers, as I enjoyed working with all of them.
Fun and fast paced work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TnMay 3, 2015
A typical day at work consists of straightening display shoes and accessories and making sure all products look presentable, greeting customers and assisting their needs, and checking them out at the register. I've gained even more communication skills, customer service experience, and more cashier experience. All three of my managers treat me with respect and treat me well. The hardest part of my job is having to inform customers that we do not have what they're looking for and referring them to another store. The most enjoyable part of my job is satisfying and interacting with the customers.
Pros
Interacting with customers and selling shoes
Cons
Not enough hours a week
Great laid-back atmosphere but extremely too many hours with very little pay off.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 8, 2012
I worked for the company for over 3 years because it is a good and fun company. Unfortunately I felt as management I was getting very little back for all the hours and work I was putting in. I would say working a part-time or in possibly in the home office (which you'd have to relocate to Tennesse) would be the best or "happiest" jobs in the company.
Pros
friendly atmosphere, 40% discount on everything, great training/learning experience.
Cons
to be a "good" manager you need to put in at leaat 50 - 65 hours a week, little to no weekends off, comission with an extremely small salary
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 23, 2015
Great place to work when young and single if you have a good work ethic. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Fun place to work. Lots of good people. Awesome home office help.
Fun environment to working in
Store Manager/ Co- manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 12, 2015
Commission based position, in a really fun environment. With recently having a child the hours were too long to juggle work and personal life.
Pros
Really cool events you can work towards attending if you meet goals.
Cons
Little time for work and personal life balance.
Productive and fun work place with many chances for advancement.
Comanager (Current Employee) –  Rockaway, NJApril 2, 2012
Working for this company has taught me patients, courtesy, management styles, as well as responsibilities. I have also made good friends within my co-workers, as well as good connections. The hardest thing about my job is pulling the 12 hour shifts all the time and working off of commission.
Pros
great management, enjoyable working atmosphere, pleasent customers
Cons
working off of commission and the hours
Very Productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 23, 2013
A typical day at work is basically being in the back stocking shoes and getting ready for the new arrivals. Got to make sure that the stock room was neat so that it was easy for the other employees that worked on the floor could get to the shoes fast without having to walk or step over anything or having to make sure that anything was not in their way. What I had learned from working here was how to avoid conflict with the my peers who I worked with. I did that by telling myself that are not the ones you go home with when you clock out, and that they do not pay your bills. Me telling my self that worked out a lot cause I couldn't afford to lose my job. Management was okay they had things in order and they also maintained a good environment for the the sales association. My co-workers were easy to work with we all got alone just about and we worked as a team which made it easy to get the job done on time. There weren't any hard things about the job everything was easy just about even dealing with the customers. The most enjoyable part about the job was getting prepared for the holidays we wore costumes dealing with each holiday we also gathered food and gifts for one another.
Pros
discount on the shoes
Cons
very few hours where given
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJSeptember 7, 2014
Nice part time job to start off with, and discount on shoes ! Management was great and you learn to communicate with people a lot more. It was new nagging people about buying accessories but it was a must.
okay place to work t.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 8, 2012
I think i would have stayed at Shi if the manager was replaced.
Clean tidy place.
Pros
flexible schule, easy
Cons
management, low pay, less hours than more
Fun Work environment, Great Employees
Co Manager (Former Employee) –  Eatontown, NJMay 25, 2013
A typical day at work included opening the store , registers, filling out daily paperwork, updating displays, and sending out and receiving new merchandise from the warehouse or other stores. In the midst, of managing employees, sending out shoes, checking emails, filing paperwork, and cleaning I would provide excellent customer service to guests and encouraging them to purchase fashionable , trendsetting shoes. From working there I learned how to run a store, how to manage employees, how to deal with employees calling out, how to better lead myself, I taught myself professionalism, and how to run a business. My co-workers were the main reason I came to work everyday with a smile on my face, I hired or helped hire most of them and in conducting the interview , or co conducting the interview (in some cases) I made the interview fun, relaxing, and serious all in one so directly after the interview was over we had a relationship , even if they were not hired they would still come in and visit. The hardest part of the job was juggling my personal life, I worked 50+ hours a week getting paid commission and not being compensated appropriately. This store has pretty great shoes at an affordable price, it was just in a terrible location in the mall, and the area. The most enjoyable part of my job was updating displays, building a great rapport with the clients that I had the pleasure of assisting.
Pros
staff, comfortability, manager, control
Cons
pay, benefits, vacation, company policies
Great, fun atmosphere
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 27, 2014
Great place to work! The only downside is the compensation and benefits.
Retail Sales
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 11, 2012
With Shi, I believe that the company truly cares about their employees. I also believe that the benefits recieved are amazing.
Pros
customer friendly employees
Cons
n/a
My time at Shi
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 3, 2013
A typical work day for me is very chill no matter how busy it seems to get I don't really let it get to me I just use my strong social skills, and work ethic to get the job done. Working during the week is so boring. Not many people want to shop on a Monday or a Wednesday but I still try to keep myself occupied keeping my co-workers entertained, while making sure everything is cleaned or making sure we have all the stocks on the walls and off the floors. I learned how to be more social and the right way to sale shoes, as well as being more persuasive. The harderst part of the job is working off of commission because you don't really want people buying just one item, you want them to buy more so your commission will increase and you are able to make the amount for the week that is needed. My co-workers and I are one good team together. We know each others weaknesses and push each other to make them better. We also rub off of one anothers energy. When one is having a bad day, someone is there to bring us back up! The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and seeing the different styles people like to wear!! Also my co-workers make work very enjoyable for not just them but myself because of the energy we have all throughout the day.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
commission
Sales associate,great customers,clean stock room,and cashier
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 17, 2013
A typical day at work,would be providing customer service, stock room duties, and handling cash out transactions. I learned many things about different products and how to also better myself as a sales associate. The job wasn't hard at all. I enjoyed being able to help and serve others.
Dissappointment with company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Holyoke, MADecember 9, 2013
I did not like the District Manager with this company, He lied about our pay. Did not communicate well with us. Learned a lot on my own.

Sometimes I had to work by myself from open to close. With no break at all.

The pay was absolutely horrible. I got paid every two weeks.