SHIEL MEDICAL LABORATORY Employee Reviews

Scheduler/Receptionist,Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Manhattan, NYJuly 31, 2017
I love working for Shiel Medical Lab.Easy job to do as long you know your producer and company duties.I can't complained,i have learned and proud.i recommend any patient to our lab.
Shady, Incompetent Management
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 23, 2017
Management was not the most competent. They would not produce reports on time, seldom listened to the concerns of their employees, and treated them as if they were not human. There was little to no oversight of employee conduct and many issues were brushed aside or are never addressed.
Pros
Overtime compensation
Cons
Short breaks
Very nice co-eworkers and good managment. Tough to service Manhattan logistically (courier #s were low)
Sales Representative - NYC/NJ (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 3, 2017
Overall a good work environment. They were purchased by Fresinius Dialysis, and they made sweeping changes in managemt.Fresinius is a very large company from Germany, and in my estimation, did not understand the culture of Laboratory sales.
Pros
Friendly environment, good managment, good IT, good service.
Cons
Not being paid commission on send-out tests (genetics)
SInce being bought poor managment
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Suffolk County, NYMay 3, 2017
I do not agree with the new management since being bought. There is no structure and employees aren't valued. The do not compensate well. They give raises once a year and they are pennies.
na
Accounts Payable Patient Registration (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 12, 2017
Went to work on time and immediatley started my work. Supervisor counted on me to perform my duties without checking up on me. Took my breaks when allowed. Workplace was pleasant and got along with emplyees.
Pros
healthcare
Cons
short breaks
Loved working here
Phlebotomy Representative/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  63 Flushing ave Brooklyn ny 11205February 21, 2017
I enjoyed working at Shiel Medical Lab. I would come in around 8-8:30 am. Disinfect my area and then begin to work by checking voicemails, emails, etc. I have learned to be more organized and surprised on how much I could take on.
work environment
Phlebotomy Technician (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 21, 2016
A day at work can be good or bad you never know. Workers need to appreciated more. The pay rate is not acceptable. The hardest part is making a mistake you will be penalize to the max by getting written up. The easiest part of my job is to serve the patient with gratitude, kindness and respect.
Cons
no health care
Typical laboratory environment with decent work loads.
Lab Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 14, 2016
Working with Shiel allowed me to learn how to properly function in a laboratory environment and gain skills in certain machines. Work typically involved running patient samples through various machines. Work was not that difficult. Had an overall enjoyable experience.
Great & Fun enviorment
Dispatcher/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 22, 2016
Working at this lab was great. I started from the bottom and worked my way to a night time supervisor position, The company moved to another state but other than that it was a great learning and working experience
fun workplace
Accessioner (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 16, 2016
fun workplace, u could learn new things, co workers are very helpful in times of need specially the manger i would say i grew more in that place, i learned to appreciate my job everyday for the past 6 years.
its little boring
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJAugust 19, 2016
I love the company because of benefits. but otherwise there is no security. I hate being floater. they just hired me but now building is closing. now I have to float.
Great Company
Insurance Claims Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 17, 2016
Great Company, They have an extremely long history providing service in the NYC area. I am appreciating the opportunity to use my skills and learn more.
Friendly staff
PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 5, 2015
I enjoyed working with this company and it was sad to leave cause
the office i was assigned to did not want to use our laboratory anymore.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
the weekly pay got switched to biweekly
It was ok
Systems Administrator L2 (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn New YorkApril 15, 2015
I learned among other things how to accession and understand how the different departments within the lab work for the first time in that type of environment.
nice place to work
Certified Phlebotomist Technologist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 27, 2015
this job was great job I just work per diem on Saturday and Sunday. this doctor was very wired family style setting with lots of family involved with practices.
Pros
love the patients
Cons
could not were perfumes are body sprays
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 30, 2014
Responsible for keeping a clean and safe work environment. I learned to strip, buff and waxed floors. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting the job done correctly. The hardest part of the day was people walking on the waxed floors. It was always a good team effort among my co-workers.
Good Place to gain experience
Clinical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 28, 2014
My work environment is pretty good. My day starts with the daily maintenance of the analyzers, followed by making reagents, refilling the reagent and running the controls. Since i have six analyzers, i have to make sure all of them are working properly. If any of them is not working, i try to troubleshoot myself. If i can't, i call the technical support for the service. STAT samples are given more priority. I have nice coworker and a lab aid working with me and we work as a team. What i consider hardest part of the day is when i have to fight for controls. And the most enjoyable part of the job is when i get the work done before my shift ends.
Cons
Short Breaks
Shiel Medical Laboratory- The Experience
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 1, 2014
Working at Shiel Medical Laboratory has been, by far, the most unpredictable portion of my life. Upon waking in the morning, several things are certain: the sun is out, public transportation will be delayed, and work awaits me. Once I get to work, however, is when all certainty has flown out of my grasp of reality, not to been gripped again for nine or so hours. Upon entrance, the frantic speed-walking of fellow employees foreshadow my own to come, though, day after day, I dismiss these signs as my own over-analysis of a co-worker who is probably on their way to the facilities. As the door to my department's office opens, the shrill sounds of countless phones ringing at a single time pierce my ears for about three seconds, until my ears become numb to the familiar blaring. As I check my mailbox, a routine first act, I come to find that a colleague is waiting for me on line one, no matter, I am quite glad to speak with him or her, let's see what I can help with. About a second prior to lifting the phone, I am informed that a client is also looking to speak with me, which is fine, I can help them both within a timely manner, though as this thought crosses my mind, the laboratory manager is paging me, as I wonder how he knew I was present, as I am about an hour early, afterall. This is the beginning.
Nearly one hour in to work, and I have cared for and consoled four doctors, two nursing supervisors, several medical assistants, and three colleagues from different departments, at which point one may say that I am doing a fine job, no need to get comfortable though, the disgruntled
  more... clients have not become disgruntled just yet, though I know it's only a matter of time, for this is now a waiting game. Five minutes later- a fellow representative, appearing quite emotionally disheveled, explains to me that a physician is on the line, and just finished swearing at her for quite some time while accusing her of wrongdoing to his practice, to which I reply "Okay, let's see if we can calm him down", I ready myself for the onslaught of verbal attacks that can possibly (probably) ensue, but no, they did not come, as I effectively put his worries at ease, so it would appear that, indeed, we were able to calm him down. While the repetitive nature of these occurences are the norm, every situation is always unique, requiring a different approach to each personality, with each issue seemingly more cumbersome than the last. The only thing that has become expected is, at the risk of sounding cliche', the unexpected, making Shiel Medical Laboratory the most unpredictable, yet most exciting company I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of, and the tools I have acuired there will remain a part of me for the remainder of my life.  less
most of the shift I worked with were team players...
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn New YorkMay 7, 2014
Job duties were repetitive. Coworkers were nice for the most part. Management is were the problems begin...Management is more interested in keeping their "friends" happy than performing the jobs at hand. Discipline was never "across the board"; it depended who you were.

Overall an ok place to work if you can deal with all the cronyisms!
Pros
Most people were nice
Cons
Management; and traveling into the BNY
Good hands on patient care experience.
PHLEBOTOMIST TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYApril 1, 2014
We had good volume of patients most days. Where other days, towards the afternoon were slow. That's when we checked our supplies and requisitions. Overall, good company to work for and good benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Worked six days a week.