SHIEL MEDICAL LABORATORY Employee Reviews

its little boring
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJAugust 19, 2016
I love the company because of benefits. but otherwise there is no security. I hate being floater. they just hired me but now building is closing. now I have to float.
Great Company
Insurance Claims Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 17, 2016
Great Company, They have an extremely long history providing service in the NYC area. I am appreciating the opportunity to use my skills and learn more.
Friendly staff
PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 5, 2015
I enjoyed working with this company and it was sad to leave cause
the office i was assigned to did not want to use our laboratory anymore.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
the weekly pay got switched to biweekly
It was ok
Systems Administrator L2 (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn New YorkApril 15, 2015
I learned among other things how to accession and understand how the different departments within the lab work for the first time in that type of environment.
nice place to work
Certified Phlebotomist Technologist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 27, 2015
this job was great job I just work per diem on Saturday and Sunday. this doctor was very wired family style setting with lots of family involved with practices.
Pros
love the patients
Cons
could not were perfumes are body sprays
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 30, 2014
Responsible for keeping a clean and safe work environment. I learned to strip, buff and waxed floors. The most enjoyable part of the day was getting the job done correctly. The hardest part of the day was people walking on the waxed floors. It was always a good team effort among my co-workers.
Good Place to gain experience
Clinical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 28, 2014
My work environment is pretty good. My day starts with the daily maintenance of the analyzers, followed by making reagents, refilling the reagent and running the controls. Since i have six analyzers, i have to make sure all of them are working properly. If any of them is not working, i try to troubleshoot myself. If i can't, i call the technical support for the service. STAT samples are given more priority. I have nice coworker and a lab aid working with me and we work as a team. What i consider hardest part of the day is when i have to fight for controls. And the most enjoyable part of the job is when i get the work done before my shift ends.
Cons
short breaks
Shiel Medical Laboratory- The Experience
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 1, 2014
Working at Shiel Medical Laboratory has been, by far, the most unpredictable portion of my life. Upon waking in the morning, several things are certain: the sun is out, public transportation will be delayed, and work awaits me. Once I get to work, however, is when all certainty has flown out of my grasp of reality, not to been gripped again for nine or so hours. Upon entrance, the frantic speed-walking of fellow employees foreshadow my own to come, though, day after day, I dismiss these signs as my own over-analysis of a co-worker who is probably on their way to the facilities. As the door to my department's office opens, the shrill sounds of countless phones ringing at a single time pierce my ears for about three seconds, until my ears become numb to the familiar blaring. As I check my mailbox, a routine first act, I come to find that a colleague is waiting for me on line one, no matter, I am quite glad to speak with him or her, let's see what I can help with. About a second prior to lifting the phone, I am informed that a client is also looking to speak with me, which is fine, I can help them both within a timely manner, though as this thought crosses my mind, the laboratory manager is paging me, as I wonder how he knew I was present, as I am about an hour early, afterall. This is the beginning.
Nearly one hour in to work, and I have cared for and consoled four doctors, two nursing supervisors, several medical assistants, and three colleagues from different departments, at which point one may say that I am doing a fine job, no need to get comfortable though, the disgruntled
  more... clients have not become disgruntled just yet, though I know it's only a matter of time, for this is now a waiting game. Five minutes later- a fellow representative, appearing quite emotionally disheveled, explains to me that a physician is on the line, and just finished swearing at her for quite some time while accusing her of wrongdoing to his practice, to which I reply "Okay, let's see if we can calm him down", I ready myself for the onslaught of verbal attacks that can possibly (probably) ensue, but no, they did not come, as I effectively put his worries at ease, so it would appear that, indeed, we were able to calm him down. While the repetitive nature of these occurences are the norm, every situation is always unique, requiring a different approach to each personality, with each issue seemingly more cumbersome than the last. The only thing that has become expected is, at the risk of sounding cliche', the unexpected, making Shiel Medical Laboratory the most unpredictable, yet most exciting company I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of, and the tools I have acuired there will remain a part of me for the remainder of my life.  less
most of the shift I worked with were team players...
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn New YorkMay 7, 2014
Job duties were repetitive. Coworkers were nice for the most part. Management is were the problems begin...Management is more interested in keeping their "friends" happy than performing the jobs at hand. Discipline was never "across the board"; it depended who you were.

Overall an ok place to work if you can deal with all the cronyisms!
Pros
most people were nice
Cons
management; and traveling into the bny
Good hands on patient care experience.
PHLEBOTOMIST TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  New Hyde Park, NYApril 1, 2014
We had good volume of patients most days. Where other days, towards the afternoon were slow. That's when we checked our supplies and requisitions. Overall, good company to work for and good benefits.
benefits
Cons
worked six days a week.
I enjoyed me time at Shiel
Front Desk Receptionist/Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 29, 2013
A great lab with excellent staff and management. I gained alot of knowledge and loved my working environment
Challenge everyday and always something new to learn
Logistics Courier/Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 24, 2013
It's a good place to work but can be overwhelming at times. Co workers are friendly, management is management but hey it's a job that was interesting and never a dull moment.
Avoid working here!
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2013
The worst company to ever work for. Management has no concept of managing anything. Work environment extremely hostile. Pay is very low and work responsibilities very high. No accountability system, its all about who you know and not what you can do. Your skills and effort will never be appreciated.
Confined work space.
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 5, 2013
Typical day at work meant sitting in front of a computer answering the telephone, making phone calls and sending emails to drivers all shift. Didn't learn much at this job other than communication skills. Co-workers, some were great to work with, others were out there to make your life miserable as you worked, The most enjoyable part about the job was going to drive a route and pick up specimens.
Pros
great starting pay
Cons
one 30 minute break throughout 10 hour shift
No pressure and stressed
ACCESSIONIST / ENCODER (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 18, 2013
I learned to work with other people from different countries.

I enhance my typing skills.

Everything is fine if you may just do your work and stop thinking about hardship.

When there is no so much stuff to do.
Pros
extend hours
Cons
short breaks
No team work
VNS Representative (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 6, 2012
As a VNS representative, I extract data from the Visiting Nursing Services data base and enter them in the form of a pre-scheduled requisition order in our Auto lims database. I have learned the variations of tubes that can be used for different tests, which helps me as a phlebotomist. Unfortunately, there is no team work if mistakes are made, therefore there is no depth in the relationships formed with co-workers, just cordial manners. My supervisor likes to hold on to good employees. He does not give room for growth, bombards you with responsibilities outside of your job criteria, and he does not promote advancement.
Pros
overtime
Cons
no advancement/no growth
Busy friendly workplace
MEDICAL BILLER (Former Employee) –  BROOKLYN, NYMay 30, 2012
I enjoyed working at a job that was open 24/7.People were always coming & going.Everyone was friendly & helpful.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
many non paid jewish holidays

2.9