SHIELDS for Families Employee Reviews in United States

Great training for the young professional, unwise choice for the free thinker
Program Manager/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 21, 2016
A typical day of work at Shields for Families- like any other large social services agency-was fast-paced and punctuated by many challenging client concerns. For the employee in management a typical day may consist of meetings and other collaborative activities with community partners. For direct staff, counselors, and therapists, the work day typically consisted of therapy/counseling sessions and other programmatic activities.

For those new to the field there is much that Shields can teach. One is able to develop and sharpen the skills necessary for working with diverse urban communities. Shields as an organization is also very supportive of employees who seek to further their education. The organization also fosters a family-like atmosphere among employees, which often serves as a useful support when the work load offers extra challenges.

Where Shields falls short is in supporting its management team. The organization tends to be management heavy, which often led to unclear communication and difficulty managing staffing issues. While executive management rightfully exercised an "open door" policy, its execution often reinforced the circumvention of policies and directives set at the mid-management level.

While I would recommend Shields for Families to new professionals and interns, I would encourage those who are innovative and interested in professional advancement to consider another agency.
Pros
great learning for new professionals, excellent benefits, wide exposure to social issues
Cons
top heavy management, poor communication styles, poor growth/advancement potential for experienced professionals
lack of organization and structure
Marriage and family therapist (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesFebruary 14, 2015
I received next to no training while working here. A complete lack of stucture and organization. There is no communication and you will be transferred clients when someone quits. There is a high turn over rate also. I wanted to quit after 2 months. Managers do not care about what is going on and are oblivious to ethical/legal issues (there are many). There are currently no bonuses, raises or incentives but yet to are expected to maintain productivity. Yes they will start you at a higher wage then other agencies, but remember you dont get a raise. They also reimburse mileage at .40 cents and will not give more. When communicating with other people in the company such as payroll, peers or supervisors, they rarely return phone calls or emails. I strongly suggest working for someone else even if you get paid less as it's not worth it at Shields.
Pros
working from home, laptops and phones provided
Cons
no incentives/raises, no structure and upper management could care less
Interesting work environment
School Based Mental Heath Therapist (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 19, 2016
Shields does not know how to work with their interns. They treat them very poorly and do not even provide the minimal necessities. I know that being an intern you are not expected to have much but they could at least have a proper working area which would include a desk, a power outlet and access to the internet. This organization has so much to offer but i would never work here.
Case Manager Experience
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAJune 16, 2015
On a typical work day I will start my day in the office typing up DMH paperwork from the day before. After finishing paperwork I will start to conduct my school visit and home visit for my clients. Meeting with them to assist them with decreasing or increasing their desirable behavior. Eventually I would have to pick up clients from school and type them home. Finally I return back to my office where I will facilitate an after school program for about 20 kids aging from age 5 - 13. This Job as giving me the experience I needed to further my career in social work. The hardest part about this job is all the responsibilities they give you, but with proper time management you will be able to complete the responsibilities. Lastly the most enjoyable part of this job is the coworkers. You make good friends at this job.
interacted with staff and cilents
Functional Family therapy (Clinician) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 30, 2015
Ask questions that will help clients identify their feelings and behaviors.
Counsel clients on concerns, such as unsatisfactory relationships, divorce and separation, child rearing, home management, and financial difficulties.
Encourage individuals and family members to develop and use skills and strategies for confronting their problems in a constructive manner.
Maintain case files that include activities, progress notes, evaluations, and recommendations.
Collect information about clients, using techniques such as testing, interviewing, discussion, and observation.
Pros
learning the job differently everyday
Cons
deadlines on paperwork with not a lot of time
Challenging but very rewarding to help people of need
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 29, 2012
Shields for Families is a nice place to work in if you love working in the social work field. SHIELDS believes in education and has a great MSW intern program for those getting started in their career. Pay is a little low, but benefits are available.
Great company to work for.
Community Outreach and Engagement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 24, 2012
I created my own schedule and reported to my supervisor weekly on assignments that were given and completed. I shared an office and work load with a fellow employee. We worked well together to get the job done.
Pros
company closed for christmas week. salary paid
Employee friendly environment
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 15, 2015
Shields is a good organization that works with substance abuse and mental health issues. It is a non profit organization that has substance abuse housing for both adult males and females.
Job duties different from job description
CoOccurring D/O Therapist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 29, 2014
Duties different from job description, supervisor only high school diploma.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not performing job agreed upon
Best internship turned employment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 25, 2015
This place sparked my interest in pursuing a career in alcohol and drug counseling, which in turn lead me to wanting to be more proactive in my community and wanting to own my own non profit organization

Want to know more about SHIELDS for Families?

Ask a question
A job that will take your passion to another level!
Mental Health Case Manager (Former Employee) –  ComptonDecember 6, 2013
What a great experience. I learned so much! I felt gratitude to serve a population that is in need of the 1 on 1 attention.
Pros
working with the children
Cons
the salary
Working with infants and children to help them develop properly
Child Development Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 5, 2015
Enjoyed interacting with parents and children. On Tuesdays and Thursdays held parenting classes and mommy, daddy, and me.
Pros
mentoring
Cons
pay
Community Mental Health
Mental Health Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 21, 2015
Mental health consultant working with women with substance abuse issues along with mental health issues. No day was the same and each clinical situation was different.
Worked for several years as a consultant in different capacities.
Pros
flexible
great experience
Co-Occurring Therapist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 20, 2014
depending on which site your assigned to youll be overworked and underpaid. If someone quits, you get there work also. benefit is, you'll get 1 1/2 weeks off for Christmas paid. The company closes.
Pros
experience
Cons
over worked, under staffed, under paid
Agency offered help to much needed population
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 28, 2014
This agency worked well with members of the community and their clients to reach client goals and offer appropriate treatment.
People helping people
Volunteer Coordinator/ Family Support Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Lynwood, CAJune 13, 2012
This is a non profit organization where people help those most in need in the community, while building a family like atmosphere.
Productive Non-Profit that does good in the community
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2012
This non profit does a lot of good in the community and has a lot of caring employees.
Pros
beautiful company and employees.
a great company
Janitor/ volunteer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 17, 2012
i was a client at shield for families and then when i graduated the program they gave me a oppurtunity to work at there company and it was so amazing
Very busy stressful enviorment...
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 12, 2012
A typical day at work can be sumed up into one word, unpredictable.