Shimmick Construction Employee Reviews

It was a very
Document Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAJanuary 3, 2018
I learned about engineering drawings and documents.

Management was great.

The culture at Shimmick was good, other than relocating.

The work environment was great and nice.
working on a brige
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 15, 2017
it was a fast pace work you hade to be at work ever day and on time some of the worker was good people and good to work with.
the job got slow so I was laid off
Pros
good pay
Cons
forman was not good
Great company to work for
Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 9, 2017
Great company to work for, but I only worked a short time for this company. A month after I started the company was aquired by a large International company and numerous people either left or were laid off.
Construction Industry
Senior Analyst, Southwest IT & Support (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 1, 2017
Coming from large corporation took a bit to get used to construction business, but as a fast learner was not a problem. Great people and interesting industry - building large infrastructure projects.
Pros
Flexible, can get out to the field as well as in-office work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 18, 2017
Hard-working fast paced work was pretty fair
Always busy never a dull moment
Family type workplace.
Shimmick construction will make a better person of you.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short brakes
Good construction company
CONSTRUCTION LABORER (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, CAAugust 9, 2017
Evryone is polite they care about their workershardest part of the job is long hours and the most enjoyable part is being able to have opportunities to learn and move up in position
Productive, dynamic work environment
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 8, 2017
A strong team and dynamic work place. Management style could use update to more project/team focused approach as opposed to competitive, discipline budget focus. Looking forward to AECOM influence.
Exciting projects, employees not taken care of
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 9, 2017
The projects are exciting, the people you work with are good to work with. They also pay you good and there is plenty of opportunity to move up. Great benefits.

You will work long hours and be asked to do difficult things without much direction. I have often felt completely lost without any help. Upper management does not care about you.
Fast pace
Superintendent/General Foreman/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 31, 2017
Early start times and late days. Report oriented. Over used by middle management. 60+ hours a week for 40 hours of pay not including night and weekend work.
Too long ago to remember
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2017
This was a great place to work last I remember. The environment was fast paced, and a learn as you go kind of place. The people were helpful and knowledgeable.
Pros
Close to home, decent pay
Cons
Job Security
Great company to work for
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Gerald Desmond Bridge ReplacementOctober 3, 2016
Very family oriented. Plenty of work. Take care of their employees.This company works just as hard for you as you do for the company. You will always have a family relationship here at Shimmick.
safety
Ironworker Foreman (Former Employee) –  golden gate bridge sizmic retrofitMay 12, 2015
the management always talked about safety but when we talked to the safetyman about our problem nothing happened we as foreman always had to perform and keep employees safe
Pros
great company but safetyman was not looking out for employess
Cons
no room for advancement unless you was family
Productive and Accountable
Project Office Manager - Temp Position (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 9, 2014
Even though I was hired on a temporary basis, I enjoyed working on their San Bernardino project. When ever I needed more training or anything to complete my duties, I got it without hesitation.
Pros
No micro-managing and nice co-workers
Cons
No work if jobs are being approved in your area
Productive in Construction Works
Lead Construction Engineer, Sausalito (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 25, 2014
Good, Fun and Productive Engineering and Construction tasks in Transportation Systems, Airport Planning and Design, Falsework / Formwork/ Excavation Support Systems/ Work Platforms
very diorganized and unprofessional
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  lakesideSeptember 27, 2013
this company was very disorganized and unprofessional. they do not treat employees well. if you want to work in a frat house, this is the place to work.
An exciting place to work
Electrician Foreman (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 24, 2013
Some of the most exciting projects I have ever been a part of.
Shimmick provides a variety of projects with new challenges.
A typical day starts with a schedule meeting to coordinate work to be preformed, followed by a review of job hazard analisis with my crew.
Next I would conduct my safety inspections (scaffolding, excavation,
rigging, crane, equipment ect.)
I regularly preformed the work of journeyman to demonstrate to my crew the safest most efficient way to get the job done.
I also preformed the supervisor duties such as daily reports, time cards, safety checklists.
Maintaining a healthy work / home life balance seemed to be one of the most chalenging parts of my job. Due to either extremly long commutes or under staffed, under qualified office hands.
A combination of the two made things very difficult.
I have always enjoyed the relationships developed throughout the course of the job. I have many friends at Shimmick
Pros
competitive wages, exciting projects
Cons
Long commutes, difficulty balancing work and home life
Youthful, Hardworking atmosphere.
Project Engineer/ Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 26, 2013
I was a Project Engineer for Shimmick Construction for a little over 10 months. My overall experience with Shimmick was a very good, they treated all of their employees well and made very strong efforts to create a good mentoring program that also brought the youth of the company together.

Compensation / Benefits = Good pay for a recent graduate, I'm still young so I didn't have much use for the health care, and the senior staff has options to become share holders of the company.

Culture / Values = Make it Happen Safe. I really appreciated that Shimmick had safety as the top priority before all other issues. Everyone knows that construction is dangerous and accidents can happen, and Shimmick took all the the proper steps to insure their employees safety and accident free.

Job Security / Advancement = This received a 3 star because Shimmick really does try to hold onto their project engineers and managers but in my experience they had to let 23+ engineers go because they were unable to secure enough future work for us.

Management = Very good experience with management and their commitment to teach the young project engineers.

Work / Life Balance = I grown to learn that the Construction Field across the board is a very time demanding job. What I didn't care for was the multiple weeks where I would work 55+ hours a week, volunteering my weekends and then feel as this was completely expected with no compensation for it.
Pros
Free Lunch and Fun Company events
Cons
Short Breaks and Long Hours
Great Employer for some amazing training and experience
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lakeside, CAJuly 22, 2013
The typical day for an engineer is consistently 10+ hours Engineers are held responsible for portions of projects where they have a lot of freedom and responsibility to complete their work as best they can.

Co-workers are great, they hire exemplary employees out of college.

The hardest part of the job is finishing all your responsibilities consistently, and working the long days, the most enjoyable part of the job is looking back at what you were able to accomplish and feeling proud of yourself.
Pros
A lot of freedom and responsibility early on.
Cons
Long Days
Great work environment with excellent people!
Project Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester, CAJuly 17, 2013
As an Office Manager, I was responsible for Payroll, Accounts Payable, Monthly Accrual reporting, Certified Payroll, and Document Control assistance.
Pros
Free lunches, great benefits, and great people
Cons
My position was stressful at times with so much to do everyday
Productive Work Place
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CaliforniaJuly 9, 2013
It was great place to work. Had an amazing support from coleagues and management in learning new things.
Pros
Free Lunches