Shimmick Construction Employee Reviews

Productive and Accountable
Project Office Manager - Temp Position (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAOctober 9, 2014
Even though I was hired on a temporary basis, I enjoyed working on their San Bernardino project. When ever I needed more training or anything to complete my duties, I got it without hesitation.
Pros
no micro-managing and nice co-workers
Cons
no work if jobs are being approved in your area
Productive in Construction Works
Lead Construction Engineer, Sausalito (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 25, 2014
Good, Fun and Productive Engineering and Construction tasks in Transportation Systems, Airport Planning and Design, Falsework / Formwork/ Excavation Support Systems/ Work Platforms
very diorganized and unprofessional
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  lakesideSeptember 27, 2013
this company was very disorganized and unprofessional. they do not treat employees well. if you want to work in a frat house, this is the place to work.
An exciting place to work
Electrician Foreman (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 24, 2013
Some of the most exciting projects I have ever been a part of.
Shimmick provides a variety of projects with new challenges.
A typical day starts with a schedule meeting to coordinate work to be preformed, followed by a review of job hazard analisis with my crew.
Next I would conduct my safety inspections (scaffolding, excavation,
rigging, crane, equipment ect.)
I regularly preformed the work of journeyman to demonstrate to my crew the safest most efficient way to get the job done.
I also preformed the supervisor duties such as daily reports, time cards, safety checklists.
Maintaining a healthy work / home life balance seemed to be one of the most chalenging parts of my job. Due to either extremly long commutes or under staffed, under qualified office hands.
A combination of the two made things very difficult.
I have always enjoyed the relationships developed throughout the course of the job. I have many friends at Shimmick
Pros
competitive wages, exciting projects
Cons
long commutes, difficulty balancing work and home life
Youthful, Hardworking atmosphere.
Project Engineer/ Construction Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 26, 2013
I was a Project Engineer for Shimmick Construction for a little over 10 months. My overall experience with Shimmick was a very good, they treated all of their employees well and made very strong efforts to create a good mentoring program that also brought the youth of the company together.

Compensation / Benefits = Good pay for a recent graduate, I'm still young so I didn't have much use for the health care, and the senior staff has options to become share holders of the company.

Culture / Values = Make it Happen Safe. I really appreciated that Shimmick had safety as the top priority before all other issues. Everyone knows that construction is dangerous and accidents can happen, and Shimmick took all the the proper steps to insure their employees safety and accident free.

Job Security / Advancement = This received a 3 star because Shimmick really does try to hold onto their project engineers and managers but in my experience they had to let 23+ engineers go because they were unable to secure enough future work for us.

Management = Very good experience with management and their commitment to teach the young project engineers.

Work / Life Balance = I grown to learn that the Construction Field across the board is a very time demanding job. What I didn't care for was the multiple weeks where I would work 55+ hours a week, volunteering my weekends and then feel as this was completely expected with no compensation for it.
Pros
free lunch and fun company events
Cons
short breaks and long hours
Great Employer for some amazing training and experience
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lakeside, CAJuly 22, 2013
The typical day for an engineer is consistently 10+ hours Engineers are held responsible for portions of projects where they have a lot of freedom and responsibility to complete their work as best they can.

Co-workers are great, they hire exemplary employees out of college.

The hardest part of the job is finishing all your responsibilities consistently, and working the long days, the most enjoyable part of the job is looking back at what you were able to accomplish and feeling proud of yourself.
Pros
a lot of freedom and responsibility early on.
Cons
long days
Great work environment with excellent people!
Project Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester, CAJuly 17, 2013
As an Office Manager, I was responsible for Payroll, Accounts Payable, Monthly Accrual reporting, Certified Payroll, and Document Control assistance.
Pros
free lunches, great benefits, and great people
Cons
my position was stressful at times with so much to do everyday
Productive Work Place
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CaliforniaJuly 9, 2013
It was great place to work. Had an amazing support from coleagues and management in learning new things.
Pros
free lunches
A creative company to work for
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 22, 2013
I have a can do attitude, if it can be done and done safely then I should be able to do it. Shimmick has the same attitude and this is why we were a good fit. I like working for a company that is creative in their process of establishing the best and most efficient way of doing things.
Pros
capitalized on my knowledge and my experience
Cons
finding quality people
Solid work environment with good people
Assistant Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Tajunga, CAMay 7, 2012
Great work environment with a steady flow of work. Helpful people and good hours.
Pros
free lunch on monday

Want to know more about Shimmick Construction?

Ask a question